• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Moon, A Short Hike, and I haven't played much but so far loving Sakuna

Noita is incredibly stupid in all the best ways made by madmen.
Ah! That's the one that adds gameplay to World of Sand/Sandspiel type mechanics, right? I have been very curious about it.

Disc Room - Mostly by the team who made Minit, it's a game about dodging discs!
Oh damn, by the Minit team? Maybe I'll check it out. Minit is in my top 10 GOAT, I'd say.

Man this thread is great so far. As if I needed to build my backlog.

Phoenotopia: Awakening is such a nice little game that shows that the Zelda 2 template can work if you just design all the parts well and don't do asspull dungeon design.
Wow this looks amazing, never heard of it, even trawling through the eShop regularly!

I had some fun with this one too. Got burnt out but I was playing alone.

For those mentioning Umurangi Generation, is it just like... Jet Set Radio but as a photographer? Is there any conflict/storyline or do you just wander and take photos?

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though it released last year, I'd also agree with A Short Hike. A really fun and nice little title that's also quite relaxing to play.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Terminator: Resistance is the best terminator anything since T2. Fantastic little immersive sim made on a shoestring budget. Lots of love and fanservice throughout and it plays quite well. Play only if you can handle some jank.

Wait, what? I was under the impression it was just a mediocre scripted shooter, but you've peaked my interest now. How immersive sim-y are we talking, on a scale from Wolfenstein "a bit of light stealth until detected then all-out shooting" to Prey "building a ladder up a wall with my Gloo gun to get somewhere I'm not supposed to reach yet"?

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Wait, what? I was under the impression it was just a mediocre scripted shooter, but you've peaked my interest now. How immersive sim-y are we talking, on a scale from Wolfenstein "a bit of light stealth until detected then all-out shooting" to Prey "building a ladder up a wall with my Gloo gun to get somewhere I'm not supposed to reach yet"?
We're talking bout grabbing materials to upgrade guns and craft supplies and find notes that flesh out lore as you explore decently sized open levels with a degree of interactivity and secondary objectives to discover. I'd say more along the lines of Bioshock and Metro - you know locked doors and safe codes situations. So Wolfenstein is fairly apt. But dear God don't go into it thinking you're gonna get Wolfenstein. Its legit good. I loved every minute of it

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Spellforce 3 Fallen God. One of the best written RPGs of the decade, and one of the very few RPG/RTS hybrid games.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is better, but I spent a lot of fun time with Undermine this year.

ss_a120192ac575fe4b9ee4766b4e3a7f101eacd3ce.1920x1080.jpg

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
We're talking bout grabbing materials to upgrade guns and craft supplies and find notes that flesh out lore as you explore decently sized open levels with a degree of interactivity and secondary objectives to discover. I'd say more along the lines of Bioshock and Metro - you know locked doors and safe codes situations. So Wolfenstein is fairly apt. But dear God don't go into it thinking you're gonna get Wolfenstein. Its legit good. I loved every minute of it
Nice, onto the list it goes!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
13 Sentinels
Dreams
The Pathless
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spritfarer

Those off the top of my head. All of them are great

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a shame more people didn't seem to jump on Lair of the Clockwork God, was my favourite this year by far and it hardly seemed to get any traction at all :(

lYUZlSk.jpg

j0Mzyjo.jpg

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Disaster Report 4
Trials of Mana
13 Sentinels
Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
Dreams
Project Diva Mega Mix
Rainswept
A Short Hike
Paratopic
Tell Me Why
Inertial Drift
I Am Dead

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
One Step from Eden (PS4, PC, Switch) it's a non-stop series of battles in the style of Mega Man Battle Network and rogue lite elements

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
Into The Breach

yeah it's 2018 game, but i play it this year on switch, the replayability just so good

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Wastelands 3? I legit didn't know about the existence of that game until I got the Series X and I was browsing through the game pass library. Oh and Streets of Rage 4, one of the goat beat em ups.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Superliminal. It's pretty short, but great whilst it lasts. Some excellent and creative mind/reality bending puzzles.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
13 Sentinels ---- hands down the best written game this year.
Wasteland 3 ---- the best "choose your own adventure" experience ever. Very buggy though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is No Game, Paradise Killer, Roki.

Maybe Vigil too, but Im still early on.

Can't believe people are suggesting a game with a 50 page OT is a hidden gem lol.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
There is no game : wrong dimension.
There_is_No_Game_Wrong_Dimension.jpg

Can't talk about it (because there is no game,obviously),but you should just play it,with no spoilers.It's incredible.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Ah man I didn't know there was a Curse of the Moon 2. I liked the first one but I got it as a backer reward; I wouldn't have wanted to buy it at full price.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Umurangi Generation is one cyberpunk game you don't want to miss. Especially if you're fiending for more political discourse in this genre of games. It's not just Jet Set Radio as a photographer. It's by a solo Maori game developer, Naphtali Faulkner and incorporates "respectful design" which is different from the traditional western colonialist and individualist game design. This is getting GOTY talk right now.
www.indiegamewebsite.com

Talking Climate Change And MaĹŤri Culture With Umurangi Generation - The Indie Game Website

We got to have a good chat with the creators of Umrangi Generation about culture, the beginnings of the game, and much more.
Photo882596470.png

Umurangi-feature.jpg

One of the games that changed my mind on roguelites as a whole (other than Hades and another game I will mention)! It's a fast, fluid, action packed roguelite in a small package (the maps are close quarters). Also available on Switch.

Since I'm on roguelites, don't sleep on:

Iit's in early access, slated to come out late this year in full on Steam and Switch. I bought it on a whim and enjoyed it so much, that it opened me up to giving roguelites another go (that Hades and SB later cemented). It's another pixelate, side-scrolling, fast and fluid, action roguelit like SB, but with far more open stages and I want to say more customizable options. Coming to Switch too, not sure about Xbox and PS4.

If you like fun, action oriented metroidvanias, try this one. Also has a prequel called Alwa's Awakening, though Legacy has more area's and power ups. On Switch too, coming to Xbox and PS4 soon.

Sorta like if Shovel Knight were a metroidvania. The bosses can be a bit hard (to slightly unfair) though. Coming soon to Switch.

Other games already mentioned but agree with:

Bloodstained: CotM 2 - As a fan of classic Castlevania titles and particularly CV 3, I have to recommend it. It's fun, challenging, has local co-op and rewards multiple playthroughs. It has up to 8 playable characters, multiple difficulty modes, varying paths, and a good boy in a steampunk train mecha. Play for fun, stay for the Corgi.

Kunai - Fun, action paced ninja metroidvania. Deserves a lot more attention than it got.

Panzer Paladin - It's Mega Man sprinkled with Blaster Master, with breakable weapons that you can turn into temporary power ups. Plus you can make your own weapons that will appear in the game as a drop. It's got a bunch of stages, remix mode, and just added some more free dlc recently. Soundtrack is pretty spiffy too!

May 5, 2018
Here's my choices:
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious 3: An extremely addicting cooking sim where you cook in a food truck that has an amazing OST and a nice sense of RPG like progression as you upgrade your truck.
  • Them's Fightin' Herds: A fighting game starring cute undulate animals that has an inventive story Mode that combines RPG exploration with Fighting Game combat and platforming. It also has incredible online and is frankly the best fighting game of 2020.
  • Murder By Numbers: A really neat hybrid of Visual Novel/Phoenix Wright style detective gameplay with Picross puzzles. It's also secretly Mediatonic's best 2020 game.
  • Spiritfarer: Little hesitant to throw this on here because it feels like the most well known game of the ones I listed. However I definitely think this game is worth trying as it's a very easy going sim of you managing spirits across a really nice take on The River Styx while hearing about these spirits' emotional backstories.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Next to no one bought Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen, and now NISA don't seem to be bothering with a second print run, despite it being out of print already.

It's a shame. I would have liked to have owned a copy of it on disc, but I didn't preorder and it seemed to sell out immediately. I bought the digital version at full price because physical copies were already going for exorbitant amounts of money.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia was a very fun SRPG. The Brigandine series has a relatively unique structure, where battles are turn-based on a hexagonal grid (similar to FFT/TO/FE), and outside of battles you organize and command your squadrons in a grand strategy-esque bid to conquer the continent's other nations.

My favorite thing about the game was probably the ability to play as any of the six nations, each with a different cast, theme, starting boundaries/circumstances, etc.

The main problem with the game was the snowballing effect, where you'd defeat a nation's primary force in battle -- killing or capturing their most powerful monsters -- and then... they would have nothing really to fight you with. There's supposed to be a major update in just a few days, though, so hopefully the dev team will find some way to alleviate that issue.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Necrobarista is fantastic and should've gotten much more love.
I played this and I agree. Great characters and music. The art is a little wonky but the interesting cinematography helps it out immensely.

Also, it's pretty short! That's a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasteland 3.

I am not sure if it fits the criteria for this thread but the game is an absolute gem and a strong 2020 GOTY contender.