• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delta Phoenix

Oct 28, 2017
That at older age, friendships turns from real to being practical and people stick around as long as it's useful to them.
Learning your parents are human too and make mistakes and are slaves to their own irrational emotions just like the rest of us.
That some things can't be changed no matter how hard you try and how much you want it.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
That people are inherently good inside. Always trust the police. All bullshit.

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
That being an adult would mean they have their shit together but they actually don't.

That the mindset of fuck you, got mine still goes on after high school/college.

People only care about x y and z when it is convenient for them.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I agree with you, OP. Hard work literally never pays off. Luck, IMO, plays the biggest role when it comes to trying to achieve your dreams, which kinda sucks tbh. It kinda reminds me of Frank Grimes from The Simpsons. I feel for Frank Grimes.

And also that people are shit and will always come to you ONLY when they need something, not because they genuinely care about you.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
My grandmother, bless her resting soul, used to say: "These folks gon hate you until the day you die and then they gon hate your children." I used to believe this was not the case. That in my lifetime racism would be a thing of the past. "once the old's die everything will be alright." Those people are FOR REAL going to hate me until I die...and if I had kids they would hate them too.

A Robot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Life sucks because everyone else is so much dumber than me (got 179 on an IQ test btw).

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
One day i will die. Then I will be gone forever. Never meet my wife or kids or siblings or parents or friends again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Two things

1. All co-workers are competition. Yes, some my be good friends to you, but at the end of the day, they will all forward their career interests over yours, including throwing YOU under the bus if need be for them to accomplish their goals.

2. All "professionals" are far from perfect at their profession. At best, everyone is "doing their best" but oftentimes you are getting less than that due to incompetence/apathy. Everyone is "practicing" at their profession, and has tons of grey areas in aspects of their job where they might not be entirely knowledgable, but do their best to "fake it". We are talking all lines of work, including doctors, lawyers, accountants- professions requiring years of "higher education" where the expectation of perfection is pretty much there all the time for what they do, but they fuck up just as much as the kid at McDonalds that fails to hold the pickles on your burger order.

Agreed, especially number one. Planners are ego-maniacal shitheads.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you can't be taller no matter how much it sucks to not be taller and want to be taller

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Nothing is predetermined, you're nothing special. Everything you've gained or loss isn't always your fault and sometimes shit happens and you win/lose. You more than likely won't be remembered years from your time and your moment on earth will be insignificant to the amount of people and time in the universe.

Nov 26, 2018
The fact I was not a popular person in high school was due to my short temper and jackass personality, not my looks/fashion/clique-ish tropes. I was set up for years as a kid that anyone who was popular were bullies and the dorkier kids in high school were unsung heroes. It took to my early 20s to try and fix that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The fact I was not a popular person in high school was due to my short temper and jackass personality, not my looks/fashion/clique-ish tropes. I was set up for years as a kid that anyone who was popular were bullies and the dorkier kids in high school were unsung heroes. It took to my early 20s to try and fix that.

I was unpopular also because I was an obnoxious asshole who was nasty to people. I had a lot of anger.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States

7091.jpg

Can confirm.

giphy.gif

J/k fellow human, I recognize and respect your intrinsic value. Couldn't resist making the reference though.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Becoming truly wealthy is about being lucky, no amount of hard work will get you there unless its accompanied by a health amount of luck.

There are steps you can take to increase your chances, but it is never a guarantee.

Tb0ne07

Apr 16, 2018
It's a bit cliche but....

The only thing in life that is constant is change.

and

Time goes by faster as you get older. One year used to seem like a lifetime. Now it goes by in the blink of an eye.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Humans are inherently selfish and bad
Your boss is never your friend
Your parents are wrong
Heaven isn't real

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
A bachelor's degree doesn't entitle you to a well-paying job, and it doesn't guarantee you a well-paying job. It doesn't even guarantee you proper training. Accredited institution or not, there are tenured professors who are trash at teaching. A curriculum of garbage that amounts to a good GPA and credits to graduate can and will give you no lasting knowledge.

Depending on the discipline, you can obtain the equivalent of a "college education" for the low, low price of absolutely free from the internet.

Your accredited universities can and will spend a lot more of your tuition dollars on frivolous campus events and buildings than your education.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the majority of our lives everything that we do ultimately does not mean anything. Time is a relative concept that is different to everyone and really doesn't matter.

Really, that nothing matters and we are but of a spec of dust in the universe.

Really though, since that has occurred to me I've enjoyed life much, much more.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Growing old sucks and if you don't take good care of your body, early and often in your childhood and teens, you will regret it in your 30s and 40s. Guaranteed.

Same goes for your teeth and skin. There is a reason why Tom Cruise still looks good and it ain't Lord Xenu, it's moisturizer and sunscreen.

This world's biggest struggle is between greed and empathy and their boundaries are fuzzier than you might like.

Everybody will disappoint you at some point, yourself included, so try to cut people a little slack.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Time goes by faster as you get older. One year used to seem like a lifetime. Now it goes by in the blink of an eye.

I had an eleven year-old explain to me the reason for this is because as you get older, the years are a smaller fraction of the whole. The pieces in 1/11 are a lot bigger than the pieces of my current 1/37. I can only imagine what that feels like at 1/80.

Smart kid.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I had an eleven year-old explain to me the reason for this is because as you get older, the years are a smaller fraction of the whole. The pieces in 1/11 are a lot bigger than the pieces of my current 1/37. I can only imagine what that feels like at 1/80.

Smart kid.

I think it has much more to do with "work eat sleep repeat". All the days just blend into each other. In my memory 2017 seemed to go by at least twice as slowly as the past year because I had so many new experiences of which I have many distinct memories, while this year has mostly been the same routine.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Life has a lot of things that you do not because you want to, but because you have to.

You are not special. There is always someone better. Lots of people, actually.

Everyone you've ever respected or looked up to has intensely dislikable flaws. Everyone is human.

If you look hard enough, everyone is a hypocrite about something. Including you. The truth is that no one makes perfectly logical sense because humans aren't perfectly logical.

Getting extremely good at something means neglecting a lot of other things. It's usually not worth it. Being the best at a field doesn't matter one bit to anyone outside that field.

Life is a series of trainwrecks, mistakes, and things that you regret. All you can do is keep going.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
You can't really rely on other people most of the time work or personal life. You just have to do things yourself rather than waiting/relying on someone else even though it's their job to.

Most people you come across are idiots or dumb as bricks. Virtually everyone is untrustworthy today.

A lot of people are lazy and don't put in any effort. Most people wing it in their jobs. They aren't experts they are just trained like monkeys through repetition. But give them something new or better and its never as good for them. People can't adapt or don't want to.

You can work hard but it will never be enough. Companies will ditch you in an instant if they see fit no matter how hard you work. Thats why its never worth it to go the extra mile or stay over to finish something. In the end life is too short for that and it won't reward you in the long term.

Consumerism - businesses and companies are only out to make money regardless of the mental or physical state of the person they sell to even if they are on their deathbed. Old people especially are vulnerable.

Mother/Father/Brother/Sister can be the most pointless, least important part of someone's life.

Last edited:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Might not sit well with some, but:
Everyone is not out to get you.
Minor annoyances other people cause are not intended to annoy you. They have their own shit going on. Realizing this can lower your stress levels. Everyone is their own person.

Much better explanation here:

Last edited: