• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of a generic question, but I'm curious to know what you would all pick.

For the obvious, New Orleans (Duh), Nashville, Memphis, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin, New York City, Seattle, and Los Angeles.

But for underrated? Detroit (especially), St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Athens, and Minneapolis gotta be up there.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
As a moderate ignoramous regarding music history, the two cities that immediately sprang to mind were New Orleans and Nashville.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
LA (they've been on top of the world this decade)
New York
Miami
Chicago (when it wants to it's great)
Memphis

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Underrated is definitely Omaha.

Saddle Creek Records has hosted tons of excellent indie bands, and many outside bands make Omaha a stop on their tours zregardless of how "big" they are. One of our arenas was top 10 in concert ticket sales in the world in 2005, as well. We love live music.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Underrated is definitely Omaha.

Saddle Creek Records has hosted tons of excellent indie bands, and many outside bands make Omaha a stop on their tours zregardless of how "big" they are. One of our arenas was top 10 in concert ticket sales in the world in 2005, as well. We love live music.

It has a ton of festivals. It's an awesome city.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad you said US and not North America. Montreal's insanely underrepresented in discussions of great music cities

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like I hear about Branson, Missouri a lot as kind of a little Nashville. Don't actually know much about the place though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Been thinking about this topic lately.

It just makes me sad that Phoenix is so pathetic in this regard. Why Phoenix, why?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Detroit is easily in the top two or three cities in America for music. Motown, Proto punk, and while is not my thing, House music, all incubated in Detroit.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Chicago (Blues)
Detroit (Motown)
Nashville (unofficial capital of country music)
New York (birth place of hip-hop

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't we just have this thread?

No.

Phoenix is a terrible place for concert going. Everything is so spread out.

Yeah, we need a few districts or something just for concerts. It would also bring together musicians in one community, I think.

dont forget Muscle Shoals

How the hell did that place become such a music city? I don't get it, but I ain't complaining.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit is definitely underrated, at least from a hip-hop standpoint. Em, Royce, Slum Village, J Dilla, Danny Brown.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I forgot San Francisco?

Sometimes it gets mentioned as one of the great music cities, but it seems to sometimes get the shaft.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Philly's been very strong in recent years, with Hop Along, Japanese Breakfast, The War on Drugs, Mannequin Pussy, Kurt Vile, etc.