• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I'm planning a road trip in the United Kingdom. I'm French and I used to live in Cardiff 6 years ago. I've done all the tourist stuff and I'm aware of the daily life (pub, brunchs...) and now I'm looking for things to do all across the UK, and I mean cool and weird stuff, even stuff you may overlook if you're close by it. Do you know a cool fair or a place where you can try an unusual sport? Do you know a museum or a pub or a monument that's not famous but you LOVE? If you live in the UK and you wanted to show me something fun and cool and noteworthy, where would you take me?

Help me compose my road-trip in the UK, Era!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
In Manchester I'd go check out castlefield. There's Roman ruins, and a bunch of cool old architecture. Then I'd go to the nearby science & industry museum (it's a really cool museum), visit the Alan Turing memorial, take in the view from the massive Hilton, and grab a drink in the temple (don't look anything up about the bar, just go there). This is assuming it's nice weather which is somewhat of a gamble.

Edit: then go for a curry in rusholme.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Quality depends on what's on and what your tastes are. One of the better galleries in the country outside of London and much nicer to walk around.

Edit: then go for a curry in rusholme.

Oh hell no, it's awful now. You'd be better going for 3 on rice in NQ or if you want the old Rusholme vibe Levenshulme is better.

Food wise check out Where the Light Gets In.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello

One of the things I love doing in the UK, especially since I have moved to the West Country, is to visit ancient structures. Everyone has heard of Stonehenge but there are, in fact, structures thousands of years older that you can visit for free and there will be no crowds. Most people don't even know they exist but they do, you can find them and they are older than the pyramids.

I speak of barrows and specifically long barrows. Barrows are tombs. Most barrows are just slightly weird looking hills that look like this

540366_71459975.jpg

They are man made but most people don't give them a second look or know anything about them. But they aren't that fun to visit because they are basically just a hill - unless you fancy a walk in the country anyway.

Long barrows are the same thing but you can go inside the tomb!

This is Stoney Littleton Longbarrow

Stoney_Littleton_Long_Barrow_2015_11.jpg

This is West Kennet longbarrow

6291276628_d9aaac1de1_b.jpg

You have to stoop a bit but you can get inside and look around this building from 5,500 years ago.

They can be found in many places in the UK but these two are near where I live in Somerset (not far from Stonehenge)

Stoney Littleton is lesser known and smaller but very close to it are some old World War II machine gun pilboxes which are cool to visit on the same trip (ten minute country walk between them).

West Kennet is larger and close to other ancient sites like Silbury Hill (a huge hill type barrow), shitloads of standing stones and the village of Avebury, which stands in the middle of HUGE stone circle - very weird place.

Also in the area you have Stonehenge, the beautiful Georgian city of Bath, Glastonbury (well worth a visit to walk up the Tor and for Arthurian woo) and my home town of Frome which has some of the prettiest medieval streets in the country

frome1.jpg

gentle-street-1.jpg

Cheap-Street.jpg

This is the land of ancient peoples, from the barrow culture to the culture that built stonehenge to the ancient Britons, Arthurian myth and legend and Alfred the Great who fought off the vikings and the battle of Essenden, said to have taken place near here - Bratton Camp Hill fort and home of one of the many white horses in the area

aerial-view-westbury-white-horse-at-bratton-camp-wiltshire-uk-jmh6196-E5AP9X.jpg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Quality depends on what's on and what your tastes are. One of the better galleries in the country outside of London and much nicer to walk around.

Oh hell no, it's awful now. You'd be better going for 3 on rice in NQ or if you want the old Rusholme vibe Levenshulme is better.

Huh. That's a shame, yeah I've not actually been to Rusholme in years, but enjoyed it in the many times I went back in the day.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Stonehenge is really good now the facilities have been updated.

I live next to Stonehenge (not literally, but in the same town)
There's actually quite a lot of cool stuff to do in the area.
There is a cool Ghost Tour in Salisbury, as well as the Cathedral and lots of medieval history stuff.
There is a safari park about 20 miles away.
You can also make it to the New Forest pretty quickly from Wiltshire, and there is a lot of cool places to check out there.

One thing you may know Salisbury for is the Russian chemical attack.
Since then tourism has kinda suffered in the area so I hope a few people read this post and get interested in visited my town.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Get to cheddar gorge. Beautiful village and the home of REAL cheddar cheese! Also have an impressive cave system you can explore.

imageresizer

images

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Drive that northern coast of Scotland. Absolutely breathtaking.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheddar Gorge and Salisbury are also quite close to all that other crap in my previous post

Plus there is cider everywhere

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Portmeirion in Wales. It's where they filmed The Prisoner.
Also Stonehenge, and in Scotland, things like isle of skye and doune castle.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
- Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge, Somerset - if you want some just cool and unusual natural formations, as well as folklore and cheese.

- Gnome Reserve, Devon - if you want a truly embarrassing day out. I guess this is the least cool thing to do when visiting the UK technically. But you said weird!

- Petrie Museum, London - If you want to find a secret-feeling and revolutionary collection of everyday ancient egyptian artifacts.

- Bakewell in peak district, beautiful area to drive through (carefully!) and get yourself an authentic bakewell pudding.

- Arcade Club, Bury, Greater Manchester - A private collection of arcades opened up to public, for hanging out, not as a museum, get yourself a cheap cider at the bar and play some DDR or pinball.

- Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Blackpool - if you want to risk breaking your collarbone on a small, seemingly innocuous rollercoaster

- Lyme Regis, Dorset - a fossil-centric gentrified lovely beach area if you want the opposite experience of blackpool and you'd rather go antiquing and get some vegan ice cream.

- City Walls, York - York is a nice place in general and there's walls all around the city that you can walk over, it's kinda neat.

- Ask someone about cool places in Scotland, regrettably I've never been but you definitely should go.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps touching on the very edge of 'unusual sport', might I suggest Bounce Below?

Raxel

Nov 1, 2017
God's Own Junkyard - Neon sign gallery
Gods-Own-Junkyard-6.jpg

Top Golf - Target based golf driving range, some locations also do foot golf
The Attendant - Coffee shop in Victorian toilet
Jack the ripper tour at night
BFI Southbank has a huge fucking screen
Cafe in the crypt - Self explanatory
Baked beans museum guy in wales
Maybe get a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea at the podium. You must try the chocolate tea! Then buy it from the twinings tea store in the strand.

Cities - Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Brighton
Nature - Weather isn't great atm, but for autumn colours there are a bunch of hikes to try, depending on when you go. Broadway tower (Cotswolds), box hill, leith hill (Surrey) aren't far from London. The Seven sisters cliff walk (Eastbourne to seaford) is a real highlight.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On unusual sports you could try Hallaton Bottle Kicking in Leicestershire

takes place only on Easter Monday - it's basically a huge game of rugby. It's usually played in a good spirit but broken limbs are not uncommon. Anyone can join in and it's a lot of fun, especially with friends. Not for wimps mind!

HZTIMO24NNB45ERP3LJHWNF3EM

1_hallatonbot1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Clockwise and anticlockwise around the M25 in the same day… it's just one of the great UK drives.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The Minack Theatre is pretty cool, an open air theatre built into the rocks with the sea as a backdrop. More fucking freezing than cool though.

Less cool is the pencil museum. Unless you think pencils are cool of course.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Bookmarking this thread for future reference, planning to take my mom around in the future at some point, we always talked about it.
Any tips specifically about museums (all kinds but art and ancient artifact types especially) or castles/manors/churches and anything else that would appeal to someone who likes that kinda stuff(we both do) would be greatly appreciated!

Beautiful nature sights and parks is also great!

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd just hop on a plane to France as I hate this damn country lol. Interesting suggestions from others but it really depends where you are as there can be nothing of note for quite a distance

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bookmarking this thread for future reference, planning to take my mom around in the future at some point, we always talked about it.
Any tips specifically about museums (all kinds but art and ancient artifact types especially) or castles/manors/churches and anything else that would appeal to someone who likes that kinda stuff(we both do) would be greatly appreciated!

Beautiful nature sights and parks is also great!

There's a lot to go on in that post but for a start I'll tell you about The National Trust and English Heritage. These are two not-for-profit organisations and control almost all of Britain's historic buildings.

National Trust leans towards country manor houses and has better tea rooms. English Heritage is more about castles. If you want to get intensive with this stuff you could buy a years membership which is the equivalent to about three or four visits - but you'd need a membership to each.

Here are their websites to explore

as an example, the nearest National Trust site to my house is Stourhead

stourhead-garden_2bcd087ee74cc2db087afcf6f5165e06.jpg

images

Eagle-eyed, experienced internet users may recognise the view in the first image from an old video meme thing

The local English Heritage site is Farleigh Hungerford Castle

Farleigh-Hungerford-aerial-view-K9301651.jpg

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Be aware that you're going to have to book well in advance for this. Ditto Mana in Manchester city centre, which just won the city's first Michelin star.

EDIT: If you're driving up from the South, you'd be remiss if you didn't go through Gloucestershire. It's cliche, but there are some fantastic pubs, beautiful villages, and brilliant hotels there.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Take a look at the tallest freestanding structure in the UK...

It's not tourist friendly but there is a viewing layby at the bottom... It's in a rural area not in a city. Also look into the history of the old mast before you go.

Have a bite to eat a nearest gastropub (it's basically almost next to it)

Also fucking tons of walking to be done in and around and holmfirth is nearby is for reason your familar with the TV program last of the summer wine

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be aware that you're going to have to book well in advance for this. Ditto Mana in Manchester city centre, which just won the city's first Michelin star.

It got a Michelin star, ace. I've not been to Mana yet even though I live on its door step (hmm considering the homeless problem I should have probably rephrased that).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Definitely take some time to go around the New Forest in South England. Beautiful countryside and wildlife.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Scotland's Glen Coe valley

Yeah, I was there 3 weeks ago. It's a must see. Also, Scottish Highlands in general are a must see, from Oban to the north, with sidesteps on Isle of Mull and Isle of Skye. And, well, I don't know...had better experience with Scots than their english lads down south in general (but that is anecdotal of course).

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping since I'm planning on visiting London for a week or two. What are the "Uber" and "Postmates" of London and similar useful apps for the city? Also any advice on hotels vs air bnb (if it exists there) type services? Looking for good deals on that plus airfare (premium economy)!