• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Silksong be released?

• Before the end of 2020

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Q1 2021

Votes: 67 18.0%
  • Q2 2021

Votes: 122 32.7%
  • Second half of 2021

Votes: 178 47.7%

• Total voters

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
What do you think? Indie games tend to announce release dates very close to the actual release date. Alot of the time we even get shadow drops as well.

So considering we still have just over two months left in 2020, do you think Team Cherry will surprise us with a holiday gift of a shadow drop or release date of Silksong in 2020? Or is that dream dead?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, that'd be the greatest Christmas gift...but I doubt it happens, unfortunately. I'm thinking this is certainly a 2021 title.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
We haven't seen shit for it this whole year and they've had plenty of chances with the Nindie World showcases

It ain't releasing this year

OP
OP
PersianPrince

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Why isn't there are option for 2022? Thats my real guess.

There's no way. The original Hollow Knight was developed in just over 3 years. The development of Silksong started shortly after the first game was released. Even with a larger scope, I cant see the the game taking much longer than the first one.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This is Team Cherry, a studio comprised of three people. The game will be out when they are satisfied with it.
Yo I just read on Wikipedia that it was announced in February 2019

What the fuck

We really went that long without a trailer????
Originally this was a Kickstarter stretch goal game mode/expansion. Now it's a full fledged game.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
2020 seems pretty unlikely at this point, but who knows. First half of 2021 is my guess.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
There's no way. The original Hollow Knight was developed in just over 3 years. The development of Silksong started shortly after the first game was released. Even with a larger scope, I cant see the the game taking much longer than the first one.

You never know. They have alot more pressure to deliver a hit then they did when they developed hollow knight.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ObamaYesNoMaybeItsClassified.gif

But really, it will release when it's done, but with COVID, I have no hopes of 2020 release.

OP
OP
PersianPrince

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'm actually surprised at these results. I didnt think people thought that the game was at least 8 months away still.

I do wish we had another blog update though. Its been almost a year since the last one.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
You never know. They have alot more pressure to deliver a hit then they did when they developed hollow knight.

Why would there be more pressure to deliver a hit? They develop and publish themselves and the team is like 3 or 4 people. They are set for life already after the success of Hollow Knight. Where is the pressure coming from?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Summer 2021 is the earliest I can see it launching, since I doubt they'll shadow drop it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
ObamaYesNoMaybeItsClassified.gif

But really, it will release when it's done, but with COVID, I have no hopes of 2020 release.
I just want to say that Adelaide (where they're based) has been largely uneffected by COVID. Considering they're only a few people, they shouldn't have been effected at all considering the restrictions never got that strict. Maybe they stopped coming into the office just in case during the peak but that would have only been for two months at most.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Why would there be more pressure to deliver a hit? They develop and publish themselves and the team is like 3 or 4 people. They are set for life already after the success of Hollow Knight. Where is the pressure coming from?

The pressure to follow up on your big hit? The pressure to not let down your fans? The pressure to make changes to keep things interesting while still keeping fans of the first game happy? This applies to all art but is especally prevelant in music and video games to a lesser extent.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that Adelaide (where they're based) has been largely uneffected by COVID. Considering they're only a few people, they shouldn't have been effected at all considering the restrictions never got that strict. Maybe they stopped coming into the office just in case during the peak but that would have only been for two months at most.

Solid point. Maybe we will see it this year then.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Idk but I feel like it's gonna be a shadow drop at a Nintendo direct
Yeah, does the game even need another showing? I expect the next big update on the game to be release plans, and that could be a same day drop or announced a few months ahead of time. I'd expect next year at this point, but I don't think this year is out of the question just because they haven't shown it in a while.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
The pressure to follow up on your big hit? The pressure to not let down your fans? The pressure to make changes to keep things interesting while still keeping fans of the first game happy? This applies to all art but is especally prevelant in music and video games to a lesser extent.

You would feel pressure to follow up on a big hit if there were consequences to you if the game was failure. If the game is hypothetically a failure Team Cherry is going to be just fine. There is no monetary pressure to succeed as if they do not succeed they are not going to lose their jobs and the studio will not close. They are in relatively unique situation as they are such a small studio. As for not letting down your fans, you cannot create art or something creative while worrying about what someone else is going to think about it. You have to create what you want to make.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
You would feel pressure to follow up on a big hit if there were consequences to you if the game was failure. If the game is hypothetically a failure Team Cherry is going to be just fine. There is no monetary pressure to succeed as if they do not succeed they are not going to lose their jobs and the studio will not close. They are in relatively unique situation as they are such a small studio. As for not letting down your fans, you cannot create art or something creative while worrying about what someone else is going to think about it. You have to create what you want to make.
Of course you should create what you want to make, but to suggest that the developers can alleviate all the pressure by simply thinking this way seems naïve. They know their last game was incredibly well-received—releasing a sequel and having mass disappointment would be devastating as an artist, so that's where the pressure comes in. I'd guess you could ask any one of the developers if they feel pressure and they'd say yes.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Sometimes I manage to forget this game is coming out and then my blissful ignorance is taken away by one of these threads.

Now I can't stop thinking about desperately wanting to play it right now. I might just replay Hollow Knight one of these days just to will this game's release date into existence.

EDIT: And of course the person above me had to mention the Cuphead DLC too...

giphy.gif

Nov 13, 2017
What I can say is that there's almost a 100% chance we will get a Hollow Knight Mii Swordfighter costume before Silksong is out.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
We haven't seen shit for it this whole year and they've had plenty of chances with the Nindie World showcases

No way will it be shown in a Nindie showcase. Hollow Knight was shown and shadow dropped on an E3 Direct - it's definitely big enough to be shown on a standard Direct or Partner showcase.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First half of next year for sure given it was originally going to be this year. So the only question is Q1 or Q2

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

indie world showcases never feature games that were already announced for switch. it's always either brand new game announcements or games that were released on other platforms but didn't have a confirmed switch release.