• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
While a pandemic like this may be a great time to sit at home and play games I can't imagine many publishers are super stoked about putting a game out in the current market. Certainly digital game sales probably won't be too hurt by the current situation (though if people continue to lose their jobs over the current situation then maybe digital sales will be impacted) but I could see physical game sales taking a big hit here. Between that and coronavirus just in general dominating the airwaves and minds of people so to speak I could see some publishers wanting to delay their games (even imminent releases like FF7 Part 1 & RE3). Not to mention further out releases that are still deep in development.

Alternatively, I could see publishers delaying just the physical release of their games but keeping the digital releases on track or I could even see publishers delaying their shipments to just brick & mortar retailers because who really wants to step into a Best Buy or GameStop right now? I mean, we could even start seeing general supply chain issues related to the current situation. Honestly, what are the chances that the coronavirus puts the final nail in GameStop's coffin?

These concerns are obviously incredibly minor when you consider everything that's been going on and apologies for not making the most positive minded thread but I have a feeling this thing is going to have an even bigger ripple effect on this industry than it already has had considering that it is already having a big effect on society as a whole.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think discs and cartridge productions are noticeably impacted by the current situation. It's hardware that's at issue.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah. They'd rather sell digital copies anyway so they don't have to give up that retailer portion. But also people can have games delivered from Gamestop, Best Buy etc, without having to leave their house. Imminent games will still come out, but I don't know about games that are supposed to come out later this year.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say low, at least games coming out before May are probably fine. The marketing budget has been spent, there's presumably more than enough discs and boxes, and online retailers can ship them out pretty easily, not to mention digital sales making up a large percentage nowadays.

It's the in-store purchaes that'll take the biggest hit, but I don't think the likes of Square Enix, Atlus etc. will want to repeat their marketing just for those.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. They'd rather sell digital copies anyway so they don't have to give up that retailer portion. But also people can have games delivered from Gamestop, Best Buy etc, without having to leave their house. Imminent games will still come out, but I don't know about games that are supposed to come out later this year.

Sure but if you thought receiving packages through Amazon this past holiday season was a nightmare then get ready because I have a feeling the next few months are going to be a shit show for every package delivery service.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Can only speak from our side. Some of our stuff is getting delayed. We simply do not have the same velocity and capacity, especially when you factor in localisation, testing, compliance, and so on. We've a fantastic IT team, but still, it's quite the challenge to transition hundreds of people to work from home on our franchises from several different countries.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
digital sales are already over 50% of sales of games usually, I guess?

As people try to buy games in retail stores and the shipping time goes up from days to weeks, that just encourages more people to go digital. We are being groomed for a digital future for this entire generation, I think it will be ok

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Offices are not closed, and I doubt logistics of any sort will be hit by this at all. Physical will be just fine as this is not a service/sales industry.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I don't think imminent releases will be affected — if it's got a date, it's probably safe — but you could end up with a major dry period in 2021 as currently unannounced stuff gets quietly pushed back due to office closures and inability to hire Asian contractors.

Also, the new consoles will probably end up severely supply constrained for the first several months, though I doubt they'll push them back.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I read that in Italy that this past week gaming spending saw a surge due to the quarantine, of course software development is probably going to face some delays.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Can only speak from our side. Some of our stuff is getting delayed. We simply do not have the same velocity and capacity, especially when you factor in localisation, testing, compliance, and so on. We've a fantastic IT team, but still, it's quite the challenge to transition hundreds of people to work from home on our franchises from several different countries.
How are you guys handling security and all that? I work on the same industry but my employer hasn't said anything about this.
And I assume work from home only for people already with workstations at home? Or your employer is sending actual PCs? That'd be incredible...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as AniCross releases on time I'm fine. Dun care if anything else is delayed.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How are you guys handling security and all that? I work on the same industry but my employer hasn't said anything about this.
And I assume work from home only for people already with workstations at home? Or your employer is sending actual PCs? That'd be incredible...

We're doing everything we can, enabling people to work on the go, to remote into their work PCs, and are also sending hardware from work to people's houses and apartments where needed, for processing photogrammetry data, doing level art work, and similarly intensive tasks. Everything gets encrypted before being sent.

It is an unprecedented thing to do, but these are strange times.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Imminent stuff basically won't. I could see GoT maybe pushed back if the ps5 is since it was pushed up anyway to make room for the ps5 launch.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I guess you would think companies like game devs or that work in tech in some capacity would have an easy time transitioning everyone to being able to work from home but I'm sure that the reality is very different. Between making sure everyone has the equipment they need and the coordinating... it sounds like it would be a nightmare. lol

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware maybe. Any software coming in the next few months is basically done at this point. Don't see any delays on that front. Latter half of the year is where it could get shaky.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anything imminent will be delayed. I do wonder about games that are a bit further off and still require work from the studio though. Could Cyberpunk be pushed to 2021 or maybe just November? Even Ghost of Tushima delayed from June to September?

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, I guess you would think companies like game devs or that work in tech in some capacity would have an easy time transitioning everyone to being able to work from home but I'm sure that the reality is very different. Between making sure everyone has the equipment they need and the coordinating... it sounds like it would be a nightmare. lol

Not everyone has high end Xeon CPUs with 2080 Ti and 64GB of RAM sitting at home to be similarly productive as at the office. And doing graphics intensive work over RDP is not the best.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think this is turning into a terrible time to release games, people are talking about nothing else at the moment and it's becoming increasingly more of a health risk to travel to stores as well as many non-food stores completely closing in certain countries.
Digital becomes more attractive in this case but there's also the reality of an impending recession and many people fearing for the future of their jobs in certain sectors like retail, live entertainment, tourism and catering as well as others having to isolate without pay so I'm not really sure spending large amounts on video games is top of the agenda at the moment.

Then there's RE3 and TLOU2 which may be especially problematic to market given the subject matter.

It's probably too late for many of those games to be delayed but I could see sales being greatly affected.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
We're doing everything we can, enabling people to work on the go, to remote into their work PCs, and are also sending hardware from work to people's houses and apartments where needed, for processing photogrammetry data, doing level art work, and similarly intensive tasks. Everything gets encrypted before being sent.

It is an unprecedented thing to do, but these are strange times.
Interesting. I'm not expecting much from my side (we have ~2500 ish employees, most of us actual devs) , but I'd love for them to make it an option for the people who'd rather keep things on the safe side until things calm down. Strange times indeed. Best of luck to you guys.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
most imminent games have already gone gold so they wont be affected. games coming this summer and later will be hit much harder though.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I remember a month ago, people on gaming side legit believed that this would not impact next gen production/release. Anyone who argued otherwise was out of their mind and fear mongering

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Not everyone has high end Xeon CPUs with 2080 Ti and 64GB of RAM sitting at home to be similarly productive as at the office. And doing graphics intensive work over RDP is not the best.

Haha, oh, you don't just have those lying around?

Stay safe! I wish you and the team the best!
I think this is turning into a terrible time to release games, people are talking about nothing else at the moment and it's becoming increasingly more of a health risk to travel to stores as well as many non-food stores completely closing in certain countries.
Digital becomes more attractive in this case but there's also the reality of an impending recession and many people fearing for the future of their jobs in certain sectors like retail, live entertainment, tourism and catering as well as others having to isolate without pay so I'm not really sure spending large amounts on video games is top of the agenda at the moment.

Then there's RE3 and TLOU2 which may be especially problematic to market given the subject matter.

It's probably too late for many of those games to be delayed but I could see sales being greatly affected.

I agree. While for many right now gaming is a great distraction there will also be many who are too emotionally distracted to play games or people who are in too difficult of a financial situation to play games. Both FF7 Part 1 & RE3 launch in about a month and think about just how much worse things got in the span of just a week. By the time April 3rd or even April 10th arrive what will the situation be like? Presumably things will only get worse before they get better so I'm still curious if we'll see some delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.