• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Games where you create a unique character, that you slowly build towards an specific path.
Games where you can show off and brag about your new weapon or your new armor, or simply, how strong you are on PVP battles or against PVE bosses.

I feel like Dark Souls did this pretty well. Especially if you were to invade a certain area and manage to kill many players one after the other, or defending hosts from impending death. Or simply because you managed to create a great build for your character that works so well and it's so rewarding.
Looking at your own created character and being like... Hell yes it's so cool!.

Games like the Souls series, Monster Hunter World, even Destiny 2 manages this.

What do you say Era? What games do you recommend for this feeling?

p.s. Does Nioh 2 give off this feeling too? Haven't tried it yet.

dark-souls-3-ringed-knight-armor-weapons-1024x590.jpg

monster-hunter-world-best-armor-skills.jpg

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd go with Warframe. There's so much variety out there you'll settle on a build that feels very personal, and it's a game all about exponential power creep. You start off struggling to wipe out Grineer grunts (think lowly marines), to dodge-sliding through whole encounters like a whirlwind of death.

Your warframe radiates power in a way that few (online) games ever match.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd go with Warframe. There's so much variety out there you'll settle on a build that feels very personal, and it's a game all about exponential power creep. You start off struggling to wipe out Grineer grunts (think lowly marines), to dodge-sliding through whole encounters like a whirlwind of death.

Nice, will look into it, I only played that for a Bit.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remnant From the Ashes is pretty good about this. You start as a little scrub with the basic rifles and handguns and by end game you're charging lazer beams and summoning demon helpers and shit. And it's not a very long game either if you don't want it to be so it doesn't have the time sink investment a lot of these games have.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Remnant From the Ashes is pretty good about this. You start as a little scrub with the basic rifles and handguns and by end game you're charging lazer beams and summoning demon helpers and shit. And it's not a very long game either if you don't want it to be so it doesn't have the time sink investment a lot of these games have.
The fact that is made by the team behind Darksiders 2 alone tells me this game could be really good.
I'll also check it out, thanks.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

This is accurate. It sometimes feels like a Dynasty Warriors game.

Dragon's Dogma is also really good with that.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe melee rework that happened this year made ALL melee weapons god tier.

When you understand how Blood Rush works, holy shit you are an unstoppable hurricane of blood and slices

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Playing Skyrim right now for the first time and it's nailing this feeling nicely. Started off running from mobs of two or three Draugrs and now I can cut them down in droves. Goes for more than just the combat too with this game, as I'm playing a rogue style class and the transition from lumbering oaf to silent assassin has been joyous.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Have you tried For Honor? From my experience it was immensely satisfying to read opponents and demolish them or time your defenses right and over power enemies in a 1vMultiple fight. The game is still getting some updates and balances I think, Buttzerker might know more and can probably say more about the game in general.

I imagine Mount & Blade 2 would be great too once you get used to the mechanics.

This is accurate. It sometimes feels like a Dynasty Warriors game.
Warriors/Musou type games are my quick fix for empowerment. There are always caveats with recommending them though. The combat isn't such that you can expect a challenge in them regularly. Sure, getting hit might be dangerous at higher difficulties and such but it is more about your ability to utilize your character(s) movesets to clear objectives and stages efficiently as well. You typically start off over powered and get more so as you go and build familiarity.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Warframe is free and on Steam, right? Sounds like this would be a good time to check it out. How much not paying for anything is gonna hinder my progress?

Oct 27, 2017

I would rather say it's balanced poorly and that's why they throw so many cannon fodder at you but to each their own I guess.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe is free and on Steam, right? Sounds like this would be a good time to check it out. How much not paying for anything is gonna hinder my progress?

You can farm in game " Prime " parts and sell them on the in game market to get the gold currency " platinum " and pay for shit in game, if you get good RNG or play enough to get desirable items.

But its one of the most fair and generous F2P out there. You'll have to pay for shit to start collecting stuff. If you want to keep F2P, you'll have to rotate a lot and use only a very limited selection of characters/weapons

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried For Honor? From my experience it was immensely satisfying to read opponents and demolish them or time your defenses right and over power enemies in a 1vMultiple fight. The game is still getting some updates and balances I think, Buttzerker might know more and can probably say more about the game in general.

I imagine Mount & Blade 2 would be great too once you get used to the mechanics.

Warriors/Musou type games are my quick fix for empowerment. There are always caveats with recommending them though. The combat isn't such that you can expect a challenge in them regularly. Sure, getting hit might be dangerous at higher difficulties and such but it is more about your ability to utilize your character(s) movesets to clear objectives and stages efficiently as well. You typically start off over powered and get more so as you go and build familiarity.

Might look into for Honor, after all it was given through plus. Thanks!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, so how's that Shaolin Monk gameplay?

Lucky for you that's actually my current main after I eventually dropped berserker. Shaolin is easily the most complex class in the game who is decent at duels and a bit poor at group fights but has a ton of options. What he lacks in power he makes up for with his qi stance doubling his move set and allowing fake outside. Here's some gameplay of mine showing what I mean:

You basically have to play aggressively but do so intelligently because his defensive punishes are kind of weak but his mix up game is extremely strong

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Playing Skyrim right now for the first time and it's nailing this feeling nicely. Started off running from mobs of two or three Draugrs and now I can cut them down in droves. Goes for more than just the combat too with this game, as I'm playing a rogue style class and the transition from lumbering oaf to silent assassin has been joyous.
I was about to post Skyrim as well.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Lucky for you that's actually my current main after I eventually dropped berserker. Shaolin is easily the most complex class in the game who is decent at duels and a bit poor at group fights but has a ton of options. What he lacks in power he makes up for with his qi stance doubling his move set and allowing fake outside. Here's some gameplay of mine showing what I mean:

You basically have to play aggressively but do so intelligently because his defensive punishes are kind of weak but his mix up game is extremely strong
That poor second guy never stood a chance. :'(

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I also wanted to mention that Dragon's Crown has that great feeling of adventuring with friends, and becoming eventually very strong with many abilities.