• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I am 32, I have many regrets about my life and if I could go back in time, however I made some great ones as well and they are:

- Joining the Military
- Getting married to my wife (best woman in the world)
- Cutting contact with some past friends
- Deciding to make VA claims after alot of persuasion
- Moving to where I live now
- Exercising again (I got really lazy these last 3 years, so I need to lose weight)
- Controlling my diet even more now (juice was my biggest weakness, but I am glad to say I have cut down alot on it and drink a lot more water).

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leaving the fundamentalist cult I spent my life in. Still trying to figure life out post cult, but I'm happier then I've ever been before. Though still battling depression and loneliness at times. Also found out dogs were awesome.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
-Joining the military.
-Leaving the military.
-Going to college.
-Quitting a career I didn't like and ending up somewhere better.
-Learning to invest.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
- Quitting my admin job in my early 20's, taking a half pay cut for a year and diving into a career of web dev. First 2 years were difficult (both mentally and financially) but it was 100% worth it.
- Moving out of Queensland to Melbourne (Australia) into 1. a cooler climate and 2. a more progressive, chill culture

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to go the gym.

Simply lifting a little bit of weight is one of the few things in life that will always reap benefits. There are so many other things like learning a new language or going back to school for a new career that might not work out for you but working out is one of the few things where you will always see tangible benefit in your life.

With it i began to reduce a lot of the self-deprecating thoughts I had about myself because I found out there was something I did that wasn't a fuck up. And with that positivity other tasks in my life finally became possible just because I could believe in myself more.

Ever since then I managed to finally start a career, find a soul-mate and get married, and finally begin my adult life despite starting way later than everyone else I knew.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
I couldn't begin to own any of these as genuine good decisions. I've forgotten more good decisions than the ones i remember.

Continuing the international living that my dad's job gave me as a kid
Deciding I'd rather be a good guy for a special someone rather than as many someones as possible.
Choosing architecture
Not going clubbing in lax 00s Beijing until i turned 18
Marrying my girl
Getting my music from self determined torrents in the 00s (past tense) and band inspiration rabbit holes instead of MTV.

Last edited:

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
- Learning to Jump rope, lost a lot of weight and keeps me in (somewhat) decent shape.
- Sticking through 9 years (On and off) in college to get my BA and teaching license. It's a tough job but I am for the first time in my life making good money to support myself and mom/siblings.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say it was a decision but meeting my wife was certainly one of the best things that has happened to me. It may sound corny but she came at a time when I was at my lowest point and she gave me a chance. We've been together now for 9 years and every day I really do love her more and more.

Going the gym is another great decision. It certainly helped both my mental and physical health. I am 37 but, according to many people, I look like I'm in my early 20s.

Chasing my writing and editing career. It was tough road but I am now an editorial manager so that's something.

Finally, I'm hoping my next big decision will bring great fortune: im gonna go all in on my art. And Im gonna combine my two passions: illustration and writing.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Being the first in my family to graduate university.
Graduating again lol.
Building my self confidence after being let go
Building me self confidence personally and in a new job which tests you.
Having a group of friends and colleagues that I can talk to
Getting more pro active in hobbies.
Being able to afford stuff and not worry about it, I came from a really poor background.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Traveling the to another continent alone and doing crazy shit that you shouldn't have made it home from gives you some perspective and added appreciation for life.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I took a gamble and took a job in China for 2 years. The pay wasn't great, but the work and life experience I gained from it was amazing.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I wouldn't say it was a decision but meeting my wife was certainly one of the best things that has happened to me. It may sound corny but she came at a time when I was at my lowest point and she gave me a chance. We've been together now for 9 years and every day I really do love her more and more.

Going the gym is another great decision. It certainly helped both my mental and physical health. I am 37 but, according to many people, I look like I'm in my early 20s.

Chasing my writing and editing career. It was tough road but I am now an editorial manager so that's something.

Finally, I'm hoping my next big decision will bring great fortune: im gonna go all in on my art. And Im gonna combine my two passions: illustration and writing.
I wish you the best on your future projects.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marrying my wife is probably the only one that actually worked out. College was an absolute waste of my time and due to how it played out I'd have been in a better place never even going at all.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Leaving England for Australia. The difference in the quality of life is night and day.

My only regret, not doing it earlier.

Do miss me fish and chips though.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Leaving a busy metro suburb and buying my home in a rural area, surrounded by nature and wildlife. The best therapy.

Learning to cook really, really well. Life changing skill to master.

Negotiating what I feel is fair for my salary. You're worth more than you know. Go get it!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I thought about this for a couple minutes and I realized that a lot of the things I like in my life now weren't really choices, and a lot of my issues came directly as a result of some choices. Uh, feels bad man.

A few random ones then I guess:

-Continually pushing against my boss's wishes last year to relocate to Georgia for several months for a position. We were able to convince them to take it remotely, which has worked out perfectly, so not actually being in Georgia for more than a few weeks affected nothing. Additionally I met some extremely close friends in the months that proceeded once I got back from Georgia, and I would have very likely not met those people had I still been out there in Georgia. As a remote worker, my contract has also gotten continually extended for the Georgia position. And if that happened after relocating, I would have had to deal with being out there during COVID and potentially coming back home, which would have been scary.

-Making an OKCupid account on a whim on NYE 2016 and being active on there on and off for like over three years. I've only had one sorta-relationship, but I've had amazing social experiences as someone who was otherwise socially isolated before they signed up, met some extremely good friends, and I've realized that I'm probably trans thanks to the help of people from that site/app. This all would have never happened had I not had that whim.

-Joining the local Melee scene in 2014 and continuing to be active as a player and spectator until 2018. In retrospect this was the golden age of modern Melee and I'm lucky to have been a student surrounded by other people immersed in the scene during that time, even if in retrospect the whole thing was a kinda corny subculture of dorky college dudes, I still love it.

-Becoming less active on GameFAQs over the last like five years and making a spin-off Discord server for one of the boards I went on my "internet home". GameFAQs has only gotten shittier and shittier in that time period and I'm glad I'm not on there for like eight hours a day (really) like I did during the peak of my depression.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
— Marrying my husband.
— When I was much younger than I am no, choosing to live with my dad for the school year and visiting my mom during the summer instead of the other way around. Both my parents love me very much, but choosing to live with my dad was for the best.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Finishing college
Picking up graphic design and Mac skills 30 years ago
Getting divorced
Buying my own house 8 years ago

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wanted to be a writer and history professor. One year into community college I was hired by the school in the IT department and realized I could earn way more money for less hours working with computers. Changed my major and went to ODU for CS for years three and four. Been debt free for seven years earning more than I ever dreamed I could. On route to retire early now.

I was engaged to a woman for years in my early twenties. She began to change and I decided to end it. It was, at the time, the hardest decision of my life. She ended up being a multiple felon and destroyed her family. I guess I got out when the getting was good.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Cutting annoying, needy, toxic people out of my life completely. This includes "family".... Or what's left of them anyway. I'm pretty sure they're dead or something. I live a peaceful life now near the woods. Trying to live my best life. Very spiritual sometimes.

Choosing not to get married or have children. I'm FULLY independent. I value my independence way too much to give a portion of myself to anyone.

Buying my first home last year. It is been a very enlightening experience. It is also a lot of work (which I expected). Fun fun fun.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a therapist. When that therapist said I should buy a sort of CBT do it yourself book, look for a better therapist. After THAT therapist diagnosed me with autism and advised me to go on a eight month wait list for a centre specialized in ASD, say 'fuck her' and look for ANOTHER therapist. Finding a therapist that actually worked.

(Note, if you are on the spectrum there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but for me it was a huge misdiagnosis, which would've delayed getting treatment)

Last edited:

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Coming out was a difficult decision waaay back when I was a teen living in a small rural town. Very good decision.

Choosing to study graphic design even though it wasn't the most logical or safe decision at the time. It has led to a very interesting career path.

Going on a date with a guy who I've been together with close to 8 years now. Probably THE best decision I've done.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

I'm coming up on 2 years of having had gastric bypass surgery. I went from 325 to 170 and don't feel like complete shit all the time any more.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I have deep respect for those who followed your dreams and are actually doing something they like.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Taking a gap year to get paid for full time work and giving my education a temporaty break.

It's an enlightening experience so long as you have a definitive game plan for the year.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
(Borat voice) My wife.
(Regular voice) My wife.

And disassociating from the very white and oppressive small town small thinking environment I grew up in. Never bought into the culture. Didn't quite know why until more recently. Great decision.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I have deep respect for those who followed your dreams and are actually doing something they like.

I'm doing this. Also a good decision. Wish I had been bolder earlier even. Would recommend anyone remember it's never too late. The race is you vs death. How much can you do before then?

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Travel around the world for quite some time. I'll never forget those experiences.

It was a few years ago and I still get chills thinking when I think of it.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Other good decisions include...

Seeking mental health treatment / finding the right balance and routine possible.
Learning to be comfortable being alone with thoughts.
Deciding to be interested in my own internal conversations, and challenging the thoughts to be interesting enough to make me interested in thinking them
Learning to ask and answer all kinds of difficult questions through writing/reflection/examination.
Learning how to establish and live up to moral principles
Learning how to maintain relationships (doesn't take a lot; a little goes a long way)
Deciding to be much more aggressively anti-racist (doesn't take a lot; a little goes a long way)

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Probably getting my MS in Computer Science.

But things can be better.

And disassociating from the very white and oppressive small town small thinking environment I grew up in. Never bought into the culture. Didn't quite know why until more recently. Great decision.
Probably didn't know until you saw behind the Wizard's curtain?

Deciding to be much more aggressively anti-racist (doesn't take a lot; a little goes a long way)
It really does!

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Becoming a father.
I don't think I would be on this earth anymore if not for my daughter.
She is everything for me and no matter how stressful it can be, the pure joy of seeing her grow up and start to understand the world is the very best thing ever happening to me.

Also getting back into Tabletop gaming.
Yeah its expensive but I met a lot of good people and it really helped me getting over my depression and anger issues

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Joining the Army
Marrying my wife, and cutting down my drinking so I could keep my wife
Helping with the creation of my daughter, the most amazing creature to ever grace this planet
Buying property
Falling in love with weight training