• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the screen turns off temporarily every minute of so, is it a HDMI thing? I thought it was but I've checked like 4 different cables and the issue remains.

Yeah it's an HDMI handshake issue. I assume you've got a Sony TV? They're notoriously bad with this stuff. Just stick with the YUV420 and forget about the RGB option as it's not worth the hassle, believe me.

There's also a thread about this.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, at least in my experience. Same on the Xbox too. Just have to go to the system settings and disable HDR every time I don't want to deal with a bad HDR implementation.
I thought this was how the PS4's implementation worked (per game) as opposed to Xbox/Windows' global setting. At least that's what I remember with the HDR supported games I played having HDR being an ingame option on PS4

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Destiny 2's HDR looks magnificent in brightly lit, colourful areas. Then anything even slightly shady has crushed blacks everywhere.

Actually it does have a pretty good HDR implementation, it's just that the settings are busted. I'm lazy so here's the first informative guide I found. Follow the steps and say goodbye to crushed blacks.

All thanks go to EvilBoris of course!

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it being cited very often in HDR threads, but i think The Last of Us Part II looks fenomenal in HDR.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
FF7R is excellent in displaying eyepiercing highlights, the problem is that it compromises the image. I would recommend you to watch Evilboris analysis, I thought FF7R was good too, until I saw his explanation, which makes total sense.

Evilboris is great but when I listen him and other enthusiasts like him, almost every picture is wrong somehow. I enjoyed a lot od HDR titles that were "compromised".

Sometimes, it's better to know less.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Is there a guide how to calibrate hdr for ea x h individual game? Like I know nothing about calibration but I plan to get a lg CX this winter. Also the current 4k I have is a samsung js7000 which has terrible hdr I guess so I can never tell what's good.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Evilboris is great but when I listen him and other enthusiasts like him, almost every picture is wrong somehow. I enjoyed a lot od HDR titles that were "compromised".

Sometimes, it's better to know less.

of course, he himself for example in the FF7 video that people may like it's implementation because it has a very punchy HDR. It's like TV calibration, at the end everyone has their own preferences.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Make sure you're set to "game" or "graphics" mode when HDR is turned on. That TV shouldn't have any extra input lag with HDR enabled. There's also a bug that increases input lag until you turn game mode off and on again.
Excuse my stupidity, but I never found out how to turn on hdr on game mode. I only ever saw the hdr option by itself

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is HDR different on the Pro compared to the regular PS4?
Output-wise it's a bit different. Regular is 1080p RGB while Pro is 4k YUV. Not sure how much of a difference that makes but from my experience, that means I had to properly set my PS4 and TV's black level when I still had a regular PS4 (somehow I got crushed blacks if I was using limited-limited) while it's a non-issue with the Pro since my TV detects the YUV/YCbCr output and disables the black level option for me.