• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
After playing FF7:R (great implementation) and Spider-Man (not so great), I was wondering what games really pop and what look underwhelming on a HDR enabled TV. So what are the best and worst case uses of HDR in PS4 games?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Spiderman is bad, but it's definitely subtle and possible worse than SDR, which is weird.

Horizon ZD is beautiful though. Really loved that in HDR. I already really liked how God of War looked in HDR.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII doesn't have good HDR. It is better played in SDR.

Days Gone is the particular highlight from my experience, closely followed by Horizon.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 HDR is definitely not great. It's not the worst but I'd argue it looks much better without in day scenes.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Battlefront 2 looks jaw dropping when explosions go off on the night maps (Kashyyyk is my favorite for this).

Ghost of Tsushima is great too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
After playing FF7:R (great implementation) and Spider-Man (not so great), I was wondering what games really pop and what look underwhelming on a HDR enabled TV. So what are the best and worst case uses of HDR in PS4 games?

Not really. FF7R have impactful highlights but at the expense of washing out colors too much, it's not a good implementation. Not having an HDR calibration is also weird as hell, considering it doesn't use the system level one from the PS4 neither.

Anyways, HZD is a good one, and so is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for example.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
saints row third remastered ps4 recently...It is horrible. Not sure if it has been patched to fix it yet.

OP
OP
itsaziz

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Not really. FF7R have impactful highlights but at the expense of washing out colors too much, it's not a good implementation. Not having an HDR calibration is also weird as hell, considering it doesn't use the system level one from the PS4 neither.

Anyways, HZD is a good one, and so is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for example.
FF7 HDR is definitely not great. It's not the worst but I'd argue it looks much better without in day scenes.
FFVII doesn't have good HDR. It is better played in SDR.

Days Gone is the particular highlight from my experience, closely followed by Horizon.

Really? I thought FF7:R popped especially in scenes with tons of light. I'll turn off HDR for my hard playthrough and compare then. Spider-Man definitely looked a bit bland though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Really? I thought FF7:R popped especially in scenes with tons of light. I'll turn off HDR for my hard playthrough and compare then. Spider-Man definitely looked a bit bland though.

FF7R is excellent in displaying eyepiercing highlights, the problem is that it compromises the image. I would recommend you to watch Evilboris analysis, I thought FF7R was good too, until I saw his explanation, which makes total sense.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2's HDR looks magnificent in brightly lit, colourful areas. Then anything even slightly shady has crushed blacks everywhere.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's great in

Detroit
Gran Turismo
Call of Duty WW2 and Modern Warfare
Resi7
DMCV
Battlefront 2

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Destiny 2's HDR looks magnificent in brightly lit, colourful areas. Then anything even slightly shady has crushed blacks everywhere.

Destiny calibration settings is literally broken. You're not supposed to touch the black level calibration tool, only the white (and also set the SDR brightness at default, because somehow it affects the HDR mode too).

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Horizon looks amazing in hdr.
Rdr2 looks like absolute ass, even after two patches that was supposed to fix it, no matter how much you tweak it it still looks washed out and bad.

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Look no further than resogun the effects really pop in HDR
Tetris Effect too

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I got a TV that can do it finally, so will see it with the new systems. I hope there's more screens at the start of games that let you see if it's good or not? Like, I'd hate my first impressions of a game to be it not looking right.

OP
OP
itsaziz

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
FF7R is excellent in displaying eyepiercing highlights, the problem is that it compromises the image. I would recommend you to watch Evilboris analysis, I thought FF7R was good too, until I saw his explanation, which makes total sense.

This a great video, are there any more like these that analyse HDR in games?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake, GT Sport, Devil May Cry V, Ghost of Tsushima... All absolutely fantastic uses of HDR.

The worst I've personally experienced are The Witcher 3 (pretty sure it's just faked HDR, as in, applied after the fact with a simple conversion algorithm from a base SDR game) and God of War. This one just looks odd and unnatural no matter how you calibrate it and the calibration screen is pretty shit, there's no clear cut "calibrate until this thing here isn't visible anymore" instructions or anything like that. I want the game to actually tell me how to achieve the most accurate picture with the least amount of clipping, not just give me a picture and say "move sliders until this picture looks pretty to you I guess, I dunno".

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny calibration settings is literally broken. You're not supposed to touch the black level calibration tool, only the white (and also set the SDR brightness at default, because somehow it affects the HDR mode too).
Yeah, I managed to get it looking better once I realised that but it still has issues. I hope that the next gen upgrade improves things.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This a great video, are there any more like these that analyse HDR in games?

Well Evilboris himself in HDTVTest reviewed some HDR games like Destiny 2 or MHW, for example. Don't know much else, I mean I have seen some but not with the tools Evilboris use.

Yeah, I managed to get it looking better once I realised that but it still has issues. I hope that the next gen upgrade improves things.

Yeah usually games that launched only in SDR and had an HDR mode patched after it tend to be subpar.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the PS4 pro version doesn't have HDR, but Nier Automata on Xbox One X has the absolute worst HDR implementation in any game. Everything is washed out and ugly, far worse than the SDR base game.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Injustice 2 never gets mentioned in these threads so I'm mentioning it. I'm gonna guess MK11 is also really good.

The HDR for Saints Row the Third Remastered was an absolute mess but cutting it some slack for being a last gen game that they tried to retrofit HDR on top off.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The original PS4 supports HDR FYI

Best: Days Gone. God of War. Darkest darks and brightest brights
Worst: spiderman, unless we're talking Twilight overlooking the sea, then it's magical

Jan 21, 2019
Deus Ex Mankind Divided is pretty bad. Final Fantasy XV did not impress me.
Resident Evil 2 and 3 on the other hand are my favorite.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
days gone blew me away the most. its almost transformative.
i was very let down by spider-man. i switched between hdr on/off and there is either no difference or hdr looks worse.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Worst? Mafia 3. It's unbe-fn-lievable bad.

Best? Ghost of Tsushima is really impressive, same with Sea of Thieves.

OP
OP
itsaziz

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Speaking of HDR, can somebody explain the difference between 2160p YUV420 Vs RGB and why my PS4 Pro bugs out when I pick RGB? I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Exodus completely crushes dark detail, do not use HDR in that.

RDR2 is bad

Treyarch CoD games completely wash out the image but MW and WWII do a good job with it.

Overall there's many more good than bad

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Was HDR as busted on ElderScrolls Online PS4 as it was on Xbox? Because if so, probably that game. Could've been fixed since then though I guess, that was a while ago.

It might be the worst HDR implementation I'd ever seen, highly doubt any other game was that borked with HDR. RDR2 would be magical in comparison.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017