• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Topic, timeskips are one of my favorite tropes in videogames if done well and I think Three Houses has done it spectacularly. Here are a few examples that I remember right now.

For this thread I have just ONE RULE, the timeskip has to occur during the SAME GAME, not a sequel. So stuff like TLOU I&II don't count for example.
DragonQuestV.jpg

Dragon Quest V
One of the first games I played that had a timeskip, and it's done really well, imo.

breath-of-fire-3.jpg
387px-bof2boxart_1921.jpg

Breath of Fire II & III

Breath of Fire III timeskip is pretty awesome, there's a 7 year timeskip and the world has greatly changed.

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

Final Fantasy VI

A year passes as part 2 begins after Kefka's destruction of the world.

44f7376d392d6c93103aea37819c629bd7fa9719_hq.jpg

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia/ Fire Emblem: Awakening

There's a massive timeskip halfway through, and you take control of the child units. (Favorite FE game, btw <3) Fire Emblem Echoes is another one.
In Fire Emblem Awakening, there's a 2 year skip but everyone looks the same so it's kinda lame.
I guess PoR and RD technically qualify but the timeskip occurs between each game.

lufia-ii-wedding-800x445.jpg

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Here there's a 1-2 (?) year timeskip. Maxim and Selan get married and have a baby.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
No one else is going to mention it, so Sol Trigger. There's a 19-year timeskip halfway through the game, after which you play as the children of the cast of the first half.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda ocarina of time might not be a "timeskip" in the traditional sense, tho to get to the future he legit just slept 7 years, but seeing that when i was younger was amazing, especially since i love timeskip in anime like DBZ

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm not here to say what is and isn't a spoiler. But i legit didn't know about the Time Skip for FE until like a week or so before release lol.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Rune Factory 2 is basically a spiritual successor to Dragon Quest V in that regard.

You get married, have a kid, time skips, and now the kid is the main character. The biggest difference is that it doesn't chicken out and the kid is the main playable character for the rest of the game while the previous protagonist is now an NPC.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
No, it was heavily advertised by Nintendo and shown during the E3 trailer
To be fair I learned about it after buying the game and my partner which I recommended the series and preordered the LE; doesn't know about it since he avoided impressions (he's close to it). So some might not know about it.

That said, Mortal Kombat X does a 25 years time-skip. It starts a few years after MK9 then jumps 25 games years.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Honestly, even watching the Nintendo E3 trailer, I didn't realize there was a time skip in FE Three Houses until I was reading the forum posts here on Era. I thought the characters just had costume changes via class upgrades, not that there was a time skip story element to it. So I can certainly see how not everyone would be aware.

Regardless, Breath of Fire 3 has my absolute favorite time jump in any video game I've ever played. It's so masterfully done!

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
To be fair I learned about it after buying the game and my partner which I recommended the series and preordered the LE; doesn't know about it since he avoided impressions (he's close to it). So some might not know about it.

That said, Mortal Kombat X does a 25 years time-skip. It starts a few years after MK9 then jumps 25 games years.
Your friend is about to get blown away haha

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Ar nosurge has one somewhat early into the game, IIRC Ciel nosurge takes place during that year or so the time skip occurs.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
[your favorite game]. Because it's so boring I'll literally go to sleep into a coma and wake up 20 years later. And it's still boring then!

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Space

The timeskip is for advancing the plot.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The timeskip in Three Houses isn't a spoiler since it was shown in official marketing, but I actually do think they should have kept that under wraps. Would have been a fantastic surprise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
No one else is going to mention it, so Sol Trigger. There's a 19-year timeskip halfway through the game, after which you play as the children of the cast of the first half.
I was going to mention it lol. It's a bit of a bummer too, since I actually liked the first half of that game a fair bit.
That's awesome, is the game good?
Nah, the second half is unfortunately pretty bad. It's written by Kazushige Nojima (FF7, FF8, FF10, etc).

preta

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, is the game good?
It's only particularly remarkable from an audiovisual perspective (the models and animations are outstanding for PSP and the soundtrack is quite good) but it doesn't really do anything particularly poorly either. It's worth a playthrough if it looks interesting to you, especially considering it's also not very long.

For bonus points, Sol Trigger is itself a distant sequel to one of Imageepoch's prior games, Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari, though they're not so closely connected that you need to play that first.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Graces has what essentially amounts to a prologue section with a few of the party members as kids before eventually skipping forward many years to them as older teens for the rest of the game

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV is the worst version of the time skip. It barely adds anything to the story, it's over way too quick, and next to nothing is brought up about the time skip.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption in a way. I forget how much of a timeskip it actually is but I'd also say Mother 3.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Dragon Valor. Each section of the game has you playing as a child of the previous section. Depending on who you marry it changes the characters you play as in subsequent generations.
2133348-box_dvalor.png

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star III is subtitled Generations of Doom for a reason. You play through three subsequent generations throughout the course of the game.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
How about a Metal Gear Solid 2? The events of what ended up being the cold open were what the primarily used to market the game. I didn't see that coming.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
NieR: Gestalt and NieR: Replicant. It's a little more noticeable in Replicant though because you're playing as a teenager that gets older.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe technically a flashback, but MGS V opens in 1995 (during the events of MG1), then back to 1984, and goes back to 1995 at the end. Everyone thought, "You're gonna get to play as Solid Snake at the very end! It's gonna be awesome!"

The ending was not awesome.