• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I literally skipped out during PE in middle school I was so terrified by it. Not sure how this was possible looking back on it, but I would walk out that period and just sit in the woods outside the school for an hour.

OP
OP
That1GoodHunter

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Another lovely memory, centered around the same asswipe racist gym teacher, was our short lived swimming unit. Context: it was winter. The teacher divided the pool in two halves, for people who could swim, and the other for people who couldn't at all. Well, turns out the water heater was busted, and they could not bother to clean the pool. The people who could not swim plunged into freezing cold water, with dead flies and styrofoam bits floating all around us. Our teacher's response to seeing us non swimmers squirm and panick as we went into shock from the cold (and fear), was to say "Okay now swim"...

Thankfully we only endured 2 more sessions of that hell before enough complaints came in for lack of a heater and hygine, before the unit was canned.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Forced showers right in the middle of puberty.
While I'm glad that I never had to, most of those middle/high schoolers should have. Imagine hundreds of teens who may or may not know the strength of their own bio-chemistry who, after playing and exercising for an hour in 70 plus degrees (I live in Cali), simply change back into their school clothes with not so much as a wet rag to the pits. They are going to reek. It was never uncommon for our homerooms to smell like a microwaved onion stuffed in a used sock. Occasionally the odor would get so bad that it'll cause headaches. Some teachers even single out some boys and offer them deodorant. It was bad...

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Best moments were when others would play soccer or basket and me with another guy would sit elsewhere and laugh with our own jokes and scribbles.
PE teachers had the easiest task compared to other teachers, doing almost nothing and let the kids play alone

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I fell over twenty metres from the finish line whilst running the 200m at my school sports day, skinned my arm on the running track, I was third place as well which was good considering that the boys in first and second place were unbeatable. When I crossed the line in last place the teacher was working out who came in what place and dismissively said to me 'well you definitely came in last', haha!

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Probably the six week quarter where we just did basketball.

Now I actually enjoyed that part, doubly so since we could just go into our friend groups and shoot free-style.

But man did I have mad anxiety from all the basketballs that were bouncing around chaotically. And for good reason; because five years in a row a renegade one knocked off my glasses and broke them, making me have to go get them repaired.

There's also the memory I have of our swimming unit in the third grade. I enjoyed that too, except I must've been allergic to the chlorine or something. I'd go there with everyone else one week, the next week I would get hives and be out, and rinse and repeat for two or so months.

It doubly sucked since my doctor, for whatever reason, never considered that it might be from the pool. Instead he prohibited me from eating chocolate. :( And gave me the most disgusting, thick liquid medicine I've ever had: Bactrim.

I ended up being allergic to the Bactrim too, cause of course.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I have a bittersweet one. During highschool PE was a shitshow, boys would always play soccer and I totally despised it. There was no "education", just "play this crap that you are supposed to enjoy" (this was back in Brazil, so people thought I had serious issues for hating soccer).

At least for one year PE was the last class of the day, and the teacher would walk us to the field since it was outside of the school. Quite often I would run away during the process and gladly go home to play some Ragnarok. Of course the teacher should have been aware of it, but I guess he really didn't give a fuck.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
We had a pretty decent teacher and an actual gym that was used by the people in the town when out of school hours. I was small for my age and the school was well aware that exerting myself too much might be a bad idea. A friend of mine in school had nothing medically wrong with him but he was obviously gay and possessed of a nervous disposition - he would often pretend to have a sore throat so as to not read in class. Neither of us were popular and would've easily gotten crushed by the bigger kids playing soccer or whatever else they were doing on the main court (they did other stuff but mostly it was soccer).

So the teacher let us go upstairs onto the balcony and work out using the weight lifting and whatever other equipment was up there. He told us to actually use it - mostly we just messed around and watched the others. Occasionally he would call up to us to see what we were up to and we'd scramble to go on a machine each and pretend we'd been working out. It was obvious we weren't since we hadn't broken a sweat, but he let us get on with it anyway.

Funnily enough, the changing rooms which we used had showers but I have never once seen them used. The only gym class schedule I remember from the six years I spent at the school was a double period as the last class on a Thursday, so I guess they were okay with sending kids home straight away to have a shower on their own time. But six different years, split into four different classes on each year, meant they couldn't have everyone have PE at the end of a school day, and given that it was often a double period, it's funny that in movies it's shown that kids used the showers after PE class and nobody ever used them in the gym at my school.

Edit - now that I think about it, my worse memory is probably getting my kneecap split during a game of Hurling back in primary school. Some guy gave me a whack with his hurley and it was sore at first, but I was able to play on. I walked back home with my bike and it felt strange. Later in the day we were out at my grandparents' place and playing with our cousins, and I hit my knee off the bumper on the car. Instant pain, I was brought to the local hospital and then on to the local large hospital where they could actually do something about it (since the local hospital is little more than a ward for elderly and dying people).

I was in a cast and walking about on crutches for two weeks after.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Don't think I have one outside of one nasty encounter with a bully (which resolved itself in my favor). It rained so often in Bradford we spent most of our time indoors learning the Morris and Ceilidh dance lol

In Malaysia it was pretty much football. At that point I already had broken kneecaps so all I did was chill at the canteen.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I broke my foot halfway through my final semester of PE in high school and the teacher said he wouldn't kick me out of the class if I just did push-ups and sit-ups while everyone else was doing the regular PE stuff

then he kicked me out of the class anyway a few days later, and I had to take PE again the next year to get the credits

fuck that guy

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Getting into a fist fight with one of my friends because he gave me a wet willy.

Having to learn how to square dance for 3 weeks (this was in New York State of all places)
You can thank Henry Ford (I think) for the square dancing. He used his power to implement that into schools as a way of combating jazz.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I liked PE, other then having to run long distance sometimes.

I guess worst memory was when my friend jumped over, I don't know the name, some gymnastic thing we were supposed to jump over. He comically fell over the thing and we all laughed a few seconds until we realized he did not pop on the other side. We went over and he had broken his arm pretty badly.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Baseball always sucked because I never played little league or anything. Didn't really know how to throw, hit or catch. I could kind of figure it out and do okay sometimes, but I was truly flying by the seat of my pants.

I once decided to walk an entire run we were doing on the first day of PE for the year. I'm used to being in class with slackers and assumed at least 5-6 other kids would do the same. I get to the end and the whole class is waiting for me, having all run it (it's like a 2k trail run). I was the sole slacker nerd in a class full of jocks. I tried a bit harder the rest of the year and later on the teacher gave a speech about how much I'd improved and how I always do my best. I don't think that speech would have happened if I didn't walk the trail that first day. I mean, I would have kinda sucked at it even if I ran it but it would have been better.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Middle school PE teacher was a real hardass for some reason. I got yelled out in front of everyone and made to do burpies for not having my gym clothes one class. Reason was some asshole kid took them and threw them in one of the locker room bathroom toilets.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I am always awkward in any physical thing. You named it, I would be bad in it so PE is always my worst nightmare in school. The anxiety, the nervously, even now I can still remember them clearly.

One of my worst PE activity is shuttlecock kicking, unfortunately, that activity is presented in all grade from elementary school to high school so I always suffer, I can't even kick the fuckingcock for like 3 times nevermind the required 10 times or 15 times to get an 10 mark.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I got kicked full speed in the balls playing indoor soccer
The kid missed the ball at kickoff and the rest is history
I fell to my knees in pain and no one cared :/

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Being surrounded by other people as I got changed. I fucking hated it always preferred when everyone else left to get changed. I would intentionally fuck up my combo lock to get to my p.e cloths and my god the smell. I do not miss it and I'm glad I got to skip p.e. when I moved to Texas had way too many credits.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So as a non American i assume PE means physical education, judging from the context.
And i always liked it. But i did also get a basketball on my nose one day.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jumped over a bench to catch a ball. Shin got caught on the bench. Ripping of all the flesh. Real nasty. Otherwise loved PE

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Getting changed before Swimming lessons was a chaotic free for all at my school. Clothes getting thrown into the pool, the shower, towels being stolen, bullying etc.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I broke my nose playing football, uk football that is. It's caused constant problems for my breathing ever since, so much so I had to have a septoplasty. It didn't really fix it, but it is better now.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
P.E. teachers are the worst. I was academically fairly strong, but i hit puberty really late, and I was short and skinny until my mid to late teens and very self concious of my body. At our school the sporty or larger kids who were less academic would essentially team up and humiliate kids like me. Fucking hated it.

I remember one kid saying he didnt want to get changed into his sports stuff. Teacher stood over him and bollocked him saying he had to get changed. Kid stripped naked and it turned out he didnt want to get changed because he had an erection. Teacher and other kids stood pissing themselves laughing. Hope that kid grew up ok because that was basically abuse.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
None. I loved PE and it was always my fave 'class'

Literally nothing but good memories. Not any different from what I'd be doing outside of school, which was playing pick up sports with all the neighborhood kids.

Only thing that maybe sucked was cross-country running, but long distance running was never my fave athletic activity.

Best moment was indoor kickball and nailing a grandslam by striking the ball off the basketball backboard on the farside of the gym (Which counted as a homer). Good times

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Having to wear skanky communal gym clothes if you forgot your own

I know it's cliche but the P.E teachers were genuinely the biggest assholes in my school, trying to publicly shame kids was the name of the game

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hated PE.

My school was also a rugby academy so we had a lot of huge lads who were hyper masculine and made sure to bully anyone who didn't match their ideas of body image.

I would swap classes if I was scheduled for swimming because I was so self conscious of being underweight.

this meant I didn't learn to swim until I was 21 when i resolved some of my body image issues

Oct 27, 2017
UKera, did everyone else hate cross country? Not sure they even do it anymore as, aside from it just being an awful way to spend 45 minutes, it was pretty irresponsible looking back at it.

Essentially the class gets sent to run a designated route outside of school grounds, usually through a housing estate next to the school and any surrounding countryside there may be. Because of the different fitness levels of all the kids it just ended with a class of 25 or so far to thinly spread for the two PE teachers to be able to keep an eye on everyone. Countless stories from harmless (some of us finding a shortcut that cut out a huge chunk of the course) to the more sinister stuff (someone got attacked by a man waiting in the bush for the kids to run past). I hated it, I usually walked most of the way.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I never did PE in school once. Always refused to do it because even the concept of it bored me to death. Also having scoliosis just kind of got me out of doing anything and anything physical at school which was great for me. I'd just sit on my Gameboy or later DS playing Pokemon games for an hour.

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been grossly incompetent when it comes to sports. Not interested in it, it bores me to death. Ever since I've been a child (I'm 43) it has been that way.

So for 13 years I went to PE here in Germany, pretended to try my best, failed miserably and got my 4/D grade for trying. Waste of time, but nothing worse. Never got bullied, never felt ashamed. Even when I couldn't really participate in swimming lessons because I'm terribly afraid of deep water.

Told everyone in 5th or 6th grade that I'm scared shitless of the depth, swam some rounds in the shallow pool by myself with some elderly people while the others took more serious lessons. I wasn't ashamed at all, my classmates noticed that and not once did anyone make fun of me.

In general that's been my recipe for success in school: Making clear from day 1 that I don't take myself too seriously and don't give two shits about what other people think. I was sort of a class clown who always got good enough grades without making any sort of serious effort. Because of that I was never seen as some kind of nerd or geek, even though I got good grades and seriously sucked at sports.

Oh, once a sports teacher asked my mum to visit him because he thought I just pretended to suck that much at sports. She reassured him that this is not the case and that I'm really that bad at it, and that was that.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a bad Gym experience thankfully.

Ripped my pants once, but that was well before my self consciousness kicked. Plus it happened after I did a flip, so...that was cool.

I did scrape my knee super bad. Won't go into details about how bad, but my mom, who was going to med school at the time, was able to bring me in a demonstration for one of her projects, lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Fat kid with 'boy boobs' amd the PE teacher made us play shirts vs skins. I honestly wanted the ground to open up and have had self confidence issues ever since .

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
UKera, did everyone else hate cross country? Not sure they even do it anymore as, aside from it just being an awful way to spend 45 minutes, it was pretty irresponsible looking back at it.

Essentially the class gets sent to run a designated route outside of school grounds, usually through a housing estate next to the school and any surrounding countryside there may be. Because of the different fitness levels of all the kids it just ended with a class of 25 or so far to thinly spread for the two PE teachers to be able to keep an eye on everyone. Countless stories from harmless (some of us finding a shortcut that cut out a huge chunk of the course) to the more sinister stuff (someone got attacked by a man waiting in the bush for the kids to run past). I hated it, I usually walked most of the way.
Yep. Our cross country course could be halved by going through a nearby cemetery so you can imagine how many of the more unruly kids went through there acting very disrespectfully! The teachers just sat chilling at the beginning and end waiting the hour out.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
As an English dude, PE was fun when it was rugby, basketball, tennis, badminton, dodgeball, athletics and I was decent at all of them

the one sport I absolutely sucked at?

football. And it was what we played every. Single. Time.

I love watching football and it's my favourite sport to follow, but fuck me i suck at it.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of my bad PE memories came from middle school.

1. You basically had to do pull-ups individually in front of the entire class. My crush was there too. It's not like the others were doing anything, either. Everyone literally watched you do your pull-ups. I think I did one, and that was by jumping for the first one.

2. I hated playing baseball (or similar indoor variants) because I could never hit the ball with the bat. So when we played in PE, I always went in the back of the line. The teacher must have caught on because he made us stay in order, so I couldn't stay in the back when my team would go up to bat. When it was finally my turn, I actually hit it. I was so shocked that when I started running to first, I tripped. But I didn't fall flat on my face, I sorta stumbled the whole distance between home plate and first base before finally running into the large guy at first, my face plunging into his stomach. The aforementioned crush was also present.

3. I hated dressing in the locker rooms. I always stuck to the same corner with my friends. One day, when we went back to change into our school clothes, I noticed the entire locker room looking in our direction. I definitely saw some snickering. I was immediately uncomfortable because I'm too used to this; they were playing some trick on us. My shirt felt bigger than usual, but I didn't think anything of it and left the locker room. It turns out that some boys switched my friends' clothes around and apparently the entire locker room knew.

Fuck middle school.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Forgetting to bring a note excusing me from it, and being forced to participate.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Some of these stories are horrible, I'm so glad I really enjoyed P.E. looking about on it. I wasn't a fan of long distance cross country running but that was about as bad as it got really.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Fortunately, I don't remember having a bad time in PE.
I went to school in Finland and later in Ireland and the difference was pretty jarring. In Finland, I remember doing a wide range of activities in PE, including skiing and ice skating in the winter.
In Ireland, it was all football, football, and more football. And the occasional bleep test.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Our P.E lessons were largely uneventful. Our school never had any money for equipment so it was literally footy(soccer for most of you) 90% of the year with the odd bit of rugby or cricket(all the pads we had must have been from 30 odd years old and falling apart). They finally built a sports hall during my last couple of years of school with gym equipment and a basketball court but we were never allowed to use the fucking thing.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
No really horrible memories, just having to change in front of people when swimming due to body confidence issues. I've always been overweight, so was never good at PE like others, but I always did what I could and don't remember being teased or bullied due to PE deficiencies.
A friend got his lip split open by a plastic indoor hockey stick that was swung at full speed and hit him in the face on the upswing. That was the only nasty PE incident I recall. Oh, other than my primary school having this shitty policy of making boys do PE in their underwear if they forgot to bring their kit. Really shitty, and creepy, in hindsight. Don't think it applied to girls, or at least, I never saw it happen to a girl.

Apr 25, 2020
In one session of 11th grade P.E, we were playing a round of touch football, I was chasing down a friend of mine who was playing for the other side and had broken away. we were running down the sideline, and of course one of the "jock" crowd dipshits who was walking down the sideline the opposite way decided it would be funny to play a game of last second chicken with me. I had to leap to the left to avoid colliding with the dickhead, landed on my right leg at an awkward angle and injured my knee pretty badly. I carry it with me to this day, I'm now 31.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
High school PE.....Sharted during a game of soccer outside. Excused myself after I realized what happened and flushed my underwear down the toilet.

Yea.....

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I didn't take any PE that really required locker rooms, so "Gym class" was honestly just really enjoyable, a good break to just run around