• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
Let's be honest, we've all had eggs in our faces in our life, where we were so sure something was going to suck or fail or it was never happen or so mad about something and then get completely proven wrong. Whether it's those parents who thought Pokemon was a passing fad, the MANY game sites, critics and fans who thought Nintendo was dead and the Wii was going to fail in 2006, the many times people thought Nintendo with dead in 2012, 2014, 2017 etc (:

It seems like we're getting another one of those moments again with the critical success of Sonic so to celebrate that, let's talk about some of the times we've had to admit we were or just look back at how silly our anger or just "FOR SURE IT WILL SUCK!" moments.

A few of my own ones first:

1. I thought the the 2011 Mortal Kombat reboot was going to flop based on what happened with MKvsDCU or just the bizarre decisions like not realising the Pal Xbox version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon.
  2. I thought I wasn't going to like the other Final Fantasy games after my experience with FFXIII (FFVI is one of my fav games of all time).
  3. I thought the HDDVDs were going to beat Blu Rays in the Format wars... Yep...

What are few of yours (:

Note: Please don't use this threat to be nasty to others or make mean spirited jabs, this is supposed be fun self-deprecation.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
1. Astral chain sold 1 million units and I ended up with this avatar.

2. I always thought that the idea of the devs who brought us Killzone Shadowfall making an open world game would be terrible and their game would likely just be pretty and nothing else. I was very much wrong.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I thought Arkham Asylum would be an okay game as a licensed property. It was stellar.

I thought Skyward Sword would be the most well-crafted and immersive Zelda to date. Barring its dungeon design and music, it was a dumpster fire.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
When Wii was announced, I thought "lol nobody is going to buy this crap". People went crazy for it.
When WiiU was announced, I thought "lol nobody is going to buy this crap". It flopped awfully.
When Switch was announced, I didn't really know what to think...

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I thought Avatar would made 700-800 millions worldwide. I thought the Wii was fucking stupid.

But I betted with a friend in 2007 that The Dark Knight would had grossed 1 billion (at that time it was the 4th movie to do that, and no Batman had made more than 400 millions).

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Vita was set to succeed. It was hardware that could finally reach what the PSP couldn't because of lacking control options. It just looked flat out superior to the competition in every way possible.

I warned people that even if Horizon: Zero Dawn looked amazing, it was from a developer who previously only had made Killzone games. Fantastic game in the end so the crow tasted nicely.

When Microsoft had the period of cancelling more game than they announced, had the weaker console on the market and didn't have game pass I was worried that they'd abandon consoles. Now, the Xbox One is my currently preferred system.

I didn't think VR would be important to me before trying it. An overpriced gimmick and a fad. "What, it's like putting a TV close to your face?". Now, VR is something I want to become the most popular way to play.

I was not convinced that the Switch would do all that well. Worse for portability than the 3DS and it didn't look more powerful than a Wii U for home use.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Before the Xbox One X was revealed, I thought MS were finished in the gaming market, and that they should just pack up and quit.

However they managed to completely flip the ship, and currently im more excited for the Series X then the PS5.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I bought Rise of the Robots back when it was released on PC. Worst game purchase of my life.

I avoided the Souls games for a long time because I thought that it was just grinding and constantly dying. Well I was right, dying does suck and it does have grinding to it but I was wrong that it would not be any fun. Now it's my favorite game series.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
"Why would you even bother preordering a run of the mill generic shooter like Call of Duty 4 when Halo 3 is coming out? No one is going to be playing that." - Me, 2007

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Didn't think The Wonderful 101 would be backed so easily for a niche Wii U game
Thought LittleBigPlanet 3 would have tanked Media Molecule
I was 100% sure PSO2 would never come to NA/EU
Thought Sword & Shield would sell less on Switch

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
  • I thought that the Vita would be about as successful as the PSP, because of the improved control scheme and because there was no way that Sony would be dumb enough to go with a proprietary memory card two generations in a row.
  • The Wii was far more successful than I thought it'd be. I assumed it'd do well, but I certainly never expected it to become a breakout hit.
  • I predicted that FFXIV flopping, on the heels of the awful FFXIII games, would either kill the franchise or get Squeenix to put it on ice for a decade or so. Yoshi-P & Co deserve a giant gold statue outside of Square-Enix headquarters for what they did to revamp it.
  • I tried Fortnite's BR mode a week or two after it came out, then a few more times over the next few months as they tweaked it, and came away completely unimpressed. The concept was fine and the building was an interesting twist, but the shooting mechanics were so bad that it'd never catch on.

Dec 6, 2017
US
1. I returned Dark Souls to the shop after a day and literally called it "a fucking piece of shit" to the clerk because we kind of knew each other.

That night I couldn't sleep because my brain started devising all kinds of tactics and what-if scenarios in terms of weapon and item combinations and two days later I went back to the same shop to re-buy the game. It's now basically my favorite game of all time.

2. I only rented Death Stranding from RedBox out of morbid curiosity because I was getting on board the hate train on here and 150+ hours later it's one of the highlights of this gen for me. I've never eaten a bigger feast of crow.

3. I called Red Dead Redemption 2 amazing after like two hours before I realized those initial missions were not tutorials and the whole fucking game consists of that mission design and those garbage controls.

4. When the Playstation came out, I was a Super Nintendo fanboy kid and mocked it as a novelty to my friends

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that, inspite of Phil Spencer's blessings on Twitter and in interviews, Nintendo wouldn't ever include Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Bros.

Glad to be wrong

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Nokia N-Gage on release day instead of waiting for the Nintendo DS #NoRagrets

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, I went to the store one day with enough money to buy a game. There were two First Person Shooters on the shelf that caught my eye, and I could only get one. One was Sin, the other, Half Life. I only had the box art to go off... and I choose poorly.

I also thought the Wii would flop after they revealed the Wii-mote.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Having played GTA 1 to absolute death and not really seeing much in the way of innovation in subsequent sequels, I seriously wondered why the fuck anyone would want to play it in 3D and was convinced GTA3 was going to flop hard.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well I bought a Saturn on day one. I don't think any of my other mistakes will top that one.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
When I first played Dark Souls, I thought it was shit and was convinced the only reason why people liked it was because it was hard. I remember sharing that bad take a lot. After Bloodborne, I played it again and of course I loved it. Loved it enough to finish it I think five times.

Nov 8, 2017
Everything about the Switch. First I predicted that Nintendo wouldn't create a hybrid because they wouldn't be able to make it powerful enough to be a compelling system, then I predicted that it wouldn't really sell that well. I still don't really care much for the system myself (I own one, but don't use portable mode and don't buy many games because they're expensive and usually better on other platforms), but I must admit that I was wrong in my predictions.

I was also slightly wrong about VR; I was a lot more excited about it than most people, so it hasn't done as well as I expected, but I think it's doing OK. On the other hand, PSVR has got a lot more games than I expected, even at launch. I was initially willing to purchase just about anything in VR just to have different VR experiences, but there's so many PSVR games now that I need to pick and choose just like on any other platform.

Oct 27, 2017
Told my Dad a few years ago that he could toss our old 3DO system and games when they were cleaning out the basement. At the time, I didn't have any room to really store that much more stuff at my apartment and figured I wouldn't want it. But a few days later, I instantly regretted it, wanted to play Star Control 2, Return Fire, Road Rash, and a bunch other great games on that system.

When I first played Dark Souls, I thought it was shit and was convinced the only reason why people liked it was because it was hard. I remember sharing that bad take a lot. After Bloodborne, I played it again and of course I loved it. Loved it enough to finish it I think five times.

I felt this way about Demons Souls for awhile. I couldnt understand why it was considered such a good game. Just seemed unfairly hard for no reason, didnt really like that there wasn't much music in the game(still dont really like this in the souls games) and the boss music(other than maiden astrea) just sounded really cheesy. Didn't really care much for the environments other than the tower of latria, just very bland design imo(I know people like this kind of design though). After a bunch of failed attempts at restarting the game fresh, it finally clicked and I enjoyed and beat it a couple of months before Dark Souls came out. Been hooked on Souls ever since.

Last edited:

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I thought most studios would manage to make good use of the PS3's novel architecture, either by putting in the extra effort themselves or by leveraging competent third-party middleware/engines. But it was apparently much more challenging than I thought, especially for multiplatform games, and it was only towards the end of the generation that (some) third-party AAA studios really got there. First-party did much better, but had an easier time as they could build their games around the PS3 architecture.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
No game ever blew me away like Shenmue. I expected to see a flood of Shenmue-clones and a whole new genre starting because of it.

I still wish it had happened :(

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I thought Symphony of the Night looked pretty bad from magazine screenshots.

I thought Devil May Cry 2 and Spore would be the most amazing games in existence.

I thought the Switch would flop at its price point, and Nintendo would be forced to lower it. Three years later, it's still the same price and selling like hotcakes. Probably the one time I've been the most glad to be wrong. :)

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I thought the Order 1886 was going to be amazing (besides graphically, because it DOES excel there).
I thought the Switch was going to flop, but I also thought the WiiU was going to (so... 50/50).
I thought FFXIV: Realm Reborn was dead on arrival. Happy to be wrong there.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the Switch was dumb. It had zero appeal to me when they first announced it.

Now it's been my most played system currently. I freaking love it.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I thought Anthem wouldn't fail
I believed in Assassin's Creed 3
I completely changed my opinion on Battlefield after trying seriously to get into it

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I thought Quantum Break was going to be the next big Xbox IP. It's still a good game but it definitely didn't reach anywhere close to those levels

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I've actually been pretty good about my predictions for the most part.

Only thing I can think of is that I overestimated how well the Detective Pikachu movie would perform.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Overlooked the PC most of my life for the "comfy couch" life. Now I never turn one on as I almost entirely game on the PC.

Also briefly played both Anthem and Fallout 76 betas. I thought both had a lot of potential and was excited for full release so I preordered the both.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Getting the PS VITA 3G day one lol...
There was no need to pay that premium for a feature I never used. Heck I barely played my vita

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, that HDDVD point in the OP is one I shared, I thought name alone would give it the edge, forgot about that.
Heck, I might've even shared the mortal kombat one as well, I certainly didn't expect its reboot to be nearly as successful as it was, in my defense I had a friend once who creamed his draws over the mediocre PS2 entries that I was forced to play.

Here's a fun one, though I wasn't really invested one way or another in it or the series at the time, I expected animal crossing amiibo festival to be a perfectly fine spinoff that would be a refreshing change from more of the same mainline AC on the WiiU, come on, how hard can it be to make an animal crossing board game? especially when they had so many mario and wii related parties under their belt
And then it was like the worst Nintendo game since my beloved DK has that struggle racing game...and that game was waaaay better!

I thought that, inspite of Phil Spencer's blessings on Twitter and in interviews, Nintendo wouldn't ever include Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Bros.

Glad to be wrong
This

And I also thought that Joker was a laughable suggestion, never gonna happen, look at all these big third party picks and some of y'all are expecting the borderline avatar from one very recent entry into a moderately successful JRPG series that in itself is kinda a spinoff? GET REAL!
Then I woke up after the game awards reveal and realised that I'd finally hit the point where I'd predicted so wrong with Smash that it wasn't worth making a tit of myself anymore
(yet I still do in the speculation threads, send help)

As a continuation of my failing smash ultimate speculation...
- After Smash WiiU I was sure Ridley was done, Sakurai had been doing his best to get the character in there in various ways because being playable was out of the question
- Dixie Kong would absolutely get it before King K.Rool
- lol Daisy, now Captain Toad, he's in!
- They wouldn't add another FE character after Corrin (okay Chrom's an echo so I can let that slide and here's Byleth, oh shit)
- I'd love Castlevania but Konami don't give a toss about games anymore so that's out the window

I think the only thing I got right was Dragon Quest and even then I had to wait for DLC to hand me a single win.