• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I like support classes in most games, so want to hear about support classes in games I might not have played.

Not sure what I'd pick for all time favourite but I've been playing TF2 a lot lately and while my most hours in the game by far are medic (a good support class itself) I also really enjoy playing Pyro as some engineer defense support class just igniting spies and using the homewrecker.

Thinking mostly of multiplayer games but feel free to mention single player examples too. Most of the single players one I can think of are less 'hard support' classes and more things like RPG characters that can buff / debuff in addition to other normal things.

Tm7y2Cd.gif

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved Paragon in Guild Wars 1. All the buffs to help out the team and the whole aesthetic. It was a blast to play and you felt like a big asset to the team.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
hunting_horn_mhw.jpg

Smash monsters upside the head to compose melodies that enhance the party. The support abilities are also the strongest attacks.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
350px-Engineertaunt1.PNG

+1 for The Engineer. I made some people very angry with my sentry placements.

Man, in some ways TF2 feels super old, but it also feels like its never been bested. Nostalgic for the pre-Overwatch days when people still mained TF2.

edit: Sticking with Valve, I also loved playing ET support but I don't think people play him that way anymore.

elder_titan_full.png
Witch_Doctor_icon.png

Also much love to ze witch docta.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites from an RPG is the Exorcist Job in Bravely Second.

It has a slew of "undo" abilities that allow you to rewind events in the battle.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Xro598TJAt9EfJnx9nvDWE.jpg

Lucio from Overwatch. Besides healing, his Speed Boost gives his team a huge advantage and it's amazing how underutilized it is in lower ranks.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the Hexer and Sovereign units from Etrian Odyssey. They can debuff and buff respectively, but also can do other stuff whicy synergy very well with other classes.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Paragon in GW1, as another poster stated.

I like Ninja in FFXIV even though it's still technically more of a DPS. I like being relied on for my Trick Attack and I used to be able to control/move aggro around which was neat before the tank changes. Dancer's been fun too.

The Linkers and such in Persona Q and Etrian Odyssey are hella fun.

Most of my examples are characters who CAN buff but aren't jobs that specifically buff. Looking forward to seeing others replies here so I can try out more new things.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Xro598TJAt9EfJnx9nvDWE.jpg

Lucio from Overwatch. Besides healing, his Speed Boost gives his team a huge advantage and it's amazing how underutilized it is in lower ranks.
Zenyatta is one of my most enjoyable things to play as in an fps but more for his firing than support lol. Still cool debuff though.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Enchanters in Everquest. The best crowd control, haste for melee, mana regen for casters, the ability to charm some crazy shit, some cool illusions, I could go on and on.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Red Mage in FFXI, those guys are basically the freaking ebb and flow of an awesome party!

300px-Red_Mage.jpg

Not only do they lay the best status effects to help allies and hinder enemies, but they also provide a major battery to ally Mp totals! Plus, they are one of, if not still THE best solo classes due to their flexibility!

Now, this is conjecture since I personally haven't played the class yet, but everything I hear about it makes me wanna rock it forever when I can commit to a month of FFXI! Anyone who knows more can elaborate!

From more personal experience, healers in general in most MMO's and high-action RPGs can have the most tricky and exhilarating combat, purely from fighting the dwindling Hp totals of their allies! It's crazy how under appreciated the fun and challenge of being a healer can be!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
medics, priests, geomancers, chemists, time mage

time mage is my favorite final fantasy job idea, their status effects are busted and they have access to meteor

its like a spacetime wizard

chimpsteaks

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 12, 2019
Resistance 2's Special Ops class (for the 8 player raid mode). Had a Halo style BR, dished out ammo to the party, and could turn invisible

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
FFXIV I mained Archer/Bard and ran a Dark Knight second. Towards the end of my sub I went back to Bard more because I got tired of people bitching about me not tanking correctly (hint: they were wrong and stupid).

FFT I love the Dancer for a variety of reasons. It's fun having a full part of Dancers just using With Knives and doing constant damage they couldn't really avoid.

In Overwatch, when I played it semi regularly, I used Pharah and floated around to Junk, but once Ana came out I almost never budged from her. Then Brigitte was released and I got a lot of hate and stopped playing altogether (mostly unrelated events).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV I mained Archer/Bard and ran a Dark Knight second. Towards the end of my sub I went back to Bard more because I got tired of people bitching about me not tanking correctly (hint: they were wrong and stupid).

FFT I love the Dancer for a variety of reasons. It's fun having a full part of Dancers just using With Knives and doing constant damage they couldn't really avoid.

In Overwatch, when I played it semi regularly, I used Pharah and floated around to Junk, but once Ana came out I almost never budged from her. Then Brigitte was released and I got a lot of hate and stopped playing altogether (mostly unrelated events).
Didn't play Ana much because console but the concept of a ranged healer is good.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My first addicitve years of WoW (purely vanilla) i spent as a Warlock, and i really loved handing out health stones and summoning folks more than raw damage dealing...)

When i came back for Cataclysm (and, again, cataclysm only) i rolled a priest and that was so much fun. I never cared for which class being the "objectively best healer" at the time. I loved shielding, flash-healing and most of all, yoinking folks when they were about to run into adds or fall off some cliff.

oI1rV92.png

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
1366_2000.jpg

I absolutely love Moira in Overwatch.

"Sigh, another healer" was my reaction when they introduced him/her but I quickly found out he was a lot of fun. Moira is effectively a combat healer because the skills are so versatile:

He can close range heal or deal damage with the added bonus of the damage being a leeching self-heal.
He can shoot out a slow moving ball which either heals or damages allies/enemies near it.
He has a short range zip/teleport/fast move to get him out of danger.
His attack leech semi-locks-on which make him absolutely a menace to small and fast attackers lige Tracer and Genji
His attack cannot be deflected

Meeting an enemy in an enclosed space and firing the leech ball, which bounces of the walls constantly sucking the enemy's health while you are doing the same and dodging their attack is a terrifying combo for your oppenents. Someone hiding behind a corner? Fire off the leech ball and you better believe they will move.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
1366_2000.jpg

I absolutely love Moira in Overwatch.

"Sigh, another healer" was my reaction when they introduced him/her but I quickly found out he was a lot of fun. Moira is effectively a combat healer because the skills are so versatile:

He can close range heal or deal damage with the added bonus of the damage being a leeching self-heal.
He can shoot out a slow moving ball which either heals or damages allies/enemies near it.
He has a short range zip/teleport/fast move to get him out of danger.
His attack leech semi-locks-on which make him absolutely a menace to small and fast attackers lige Tracer and Genji
His attack cannot be deflected

Meeting an enemy in an enclosed space and firing the leech ball, which bounces of the walls constantly sucking the enemy's health while you are doing the same and dodging their attack is a terrifying combo for your oppenents. Someone hiding behind a corner? Fire off the leech ball and you better believe they will move.
Moira is a woman.

Anyway, Battlefield 4 support was awesome. Between the ability to refill ammo, the airburst launcher, the LMGs, and, most important of all, the wonderful, wonderful mortar...it was awesome. Settle up, be the backbone of the team, and watch people fall into your explosives. I've whole matches chasing dorritos on that map, the sort of thing that just goes to remind me of simply how many valid and varied approaches the game allowed.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Zenyatta is like the perfect support choice for me (just barely beating out Lucio due to his nerfs). His role is to sit in the back, overseeing the entire map, monitoring every players health, who they are engaging, applying healing and marking (to take more damage) the right people at the right time to ensure fights are won, while simulaneously contributing hefty amounts of damage by flinging balls at people. While he has no mobility he's far from a sitting duck, his damage output with really good aim and a constant string of headshots can beat out most DPS roles, plus he can charge up a volley that can pretty much delete any flanker threat (assuming you can land it).

The great thing is, you always feel that your contributions as Zenyatta help shape the game, yet playing him doesn't come with the baggage of having to make grand strategy calls, you're essentially silently moving all the chess pieces around the board.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Engineer in TF2. Lot's of fond memories of dominating the entire enemy team with a clutch sentry placement.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Brigitte when she was still brand-new was the most fun i have playing "Support" (lol) and got me playing OW semi-regularly (before dropping-off again). Probably because she was OP as hell though with her pre-nerf Shield Bash.

2707e2ec-79c9-4b66-bb12-e439876e5fbd.jpg