• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
The first Dark Souls has incredibly memorable and great sound design in general but the sound effects for pickups, bonfire lighting etc. are all incredibly satisfying.

One of my favorites.

Then there are the OG masters of it, Nintendo, that just can't be beat for me. Metroid and Zelda "get shit" sound effects are the best.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3's shockwave or the sound of a biotic combo.

So powerful. So good.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
In Wind Waker, when the grappling hook connects to the wooden beams. I love that sound.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
At some point I started to forget which sounds originated in Half-Life and which came from Team Fortress or other subsequent games, but a lot of the weapon/ammo pickup sounds in those games immediately spring to mind, like at 0:06 here --

Nov 28, 2017
The "Blee-doo" and the sound when you Z-Target an enemy in OOT

When items respawn and when you pick up Body Armor in GoldenEye

When you get a stealth kill in Bloodborne

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
The character bio unlock sound in Arkham Asylum. Also the announcement sound effect in Arkham Asylum.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

The crowbar has a nice thwack, and the sound of riders falling off their bikes is great. Also stealing a weapon and having your dude say yea!

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Has to be the sounds of fidgeting with weapons. When you holster a gun, when you take one out, when you switch between them, reloading, any thing.
Last of Us, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption II (!!!), almost any game with that fidgeting sound gives me an eargasm.

Like this fucking video, I can enter Nirvana just listening to this:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
The sound of reloading the Springfield sniper rifle in Day of Defeat Source. Fuck that is some satisfying shit.

Sep 23, 2018
Favourite / standout sound FX
- THPS special trick "BEHHHH".
- FFVII limit break casting noise.
- Fortune's rail gun charging and firing MGS2
- The mentally disturbing, oppressive atmosphere inducing sounds that play as you approach the Cyborg Ninja battle in MGS.
- Death Stranding tank turning off and on as you light or kill your ignition in Days Gone.
- Doors in Resident Evil 1 PS1.
- The Rig weapon in Wild 9 PS1.

Least favourite: those weird noises Lara makes when shifting blocks in OG TR 2, it's the variant that sounds like she's grinding her teeth or crushing over bones.

Vocal Moments
-"NOOOCT!" From Ignis, still gives me chills when I hear it.
- Quiet's first spoken words in TPP. (Yeah, it got to me).
- "Huh? What was that noise?"
- "A surveillance CAMERA!!!!!!????!??!?!!???!????"

kfvick

Dec 3, 2018
Mississippi
There are many, and a lot of them are old school Nintendo, but one of those in particular that stands out is from super Mario world, when you do a spin jump on top of an enemy that it doesn't kill, but it lets you bounce off of it. It's a "thock" sound that For whatever reason I find immensely satisfying. I sometimes will watch people doing streams of Mario maker or Mario world, and rewind when they're going through a section where that happens a lot, just because I love the sound