• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Akiba's Beat.

Budget is an understatement, writing is horrible, and it's like discount Tokyo Mirage Sessions with Tales of combat.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My answer would be Fallout 76 if I hadn't come around to considering it a better game than Fallout 4, another game I purchased day-1.

I guess it's been a long time since I bought a game that I consider to be genuinely, like, SHIT though.

I mean, the games I've bought in recent years that I don't like, or dropped because I didn't enjoy them, are:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - ranking system prioritizing turn count over everything else, dictating that I play not like a strategist but like a fucking madman...
Pokemon Sw/Sh - makes games that are too easy look too hard in comparison
Fallout 76 - broken as fuck at launch, have had more frustrating experiences with the game than I can count
Fallout 4 - lame, all the time, every time, not even mods can fix this
Battlefield 5 - sublime gunplay and game feel but the patches over time were Uncharted 2 MP levels of "damn why'd y'all have to go and do that" and Firestorm was a misstep

Looking back... I guess I just know how to pick 'em. The worst game I've ever bought was... Project X-Zone. Yeah it's a fanservice game first and foremost but you don't even gotta use your brain and for a tactics game that's regrettable. There are so many worse games that I guess even X-Zone hardly ranks against some of the shit we're bound to see up in here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Unlimited SaGa will always be the worst. What they did to the SaGa franchise is a crime against humanity.

Honorable mention:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I did rent Hey You! Pikachu when I was a kid, with my own money. So that.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Rise of the Robots has to be one, though in that case I find the game weirdly fascinating and own most of the versions.

Other than that, Sonic 06. I completed it, I tried to convince myself it wasn't that bad, but yeah, it was.

Dec 29, 2017
Rented a few times. Worst fighting game I've played.
Db_gt_box.jpg

Friends pressured me into buying it. Found it boring as hell. Friends quit playing after a week. Waste of $60.
81E5fUW19gL._SX425_.jpg

zf69

Jan 25, 2021
earth
i have never purchased a single-player game, played through it in it's entirety, and thought that it was a complete waste of money. i did play cyberpunk, but i did not pay for it

i own sonic 06 but i enjoy it enough and got plenty of entertainment value for the like 20 bucks i spent on it so i don't even consider it a "bad game" even though it definitely is

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
i244630262.jpg

This thing. It's just a very basic board game without any crazy rules or gimmicks, there's not even minigames, and it only has like 3 boards. Not very fun.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Fallout 76 (at launch)

I played the Beta...I experienced the bugs....I told myself that they'd iron out the bugs in a few months and the game would be okay....

I was wrong. I was so horribly wrong.

Oct 3, 2019
N64-RPGs-Forgotten-9.jpg

I rented this once and I've never forgotten how garbage it was. One of those games you rent and immediately realize you just ruined your weekend.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I traded my entire SNES collection of games (including Mega Man X, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country) at FuncoLand to buy a brand new copy of Art of Fighting. I had just gotten into fighting games and was playing a lot of Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and Samurai Showdown in the arcade and decided that I was going to become an expert at one of these games and for some reason decided on Art of Fighting. The SNES port was horrible. It was so bad that I had an actual physical reaction to the purchase and felt a vague sense of nausea and dread the entire night. I realized that given my families financial situation this was the only thing I was going to be able to play for the next few months.

This dumb decision had a big impact on the games that I would play because I began to resent my SNES and that game and when an opportunity to trade it for a Sega Genesis appeared I jumped at it and I mostly stayed away from Nintendo during the N64 and GameCube years. I went from Genesis to Playstation to Dreamcast and Playstation 2. Had it not been for that horrible decision to get rid of my beloved SNES games I probably would have gone the N64 route. As great as those N64 games were I can't imagine it would've compared to the PS1 era with Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy 7, Xenogears, Tomb Raider, etc.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I probably had a bunch from when I was younger, but those were probably presents.

The only one that comes to mind is Sonic Forces for the Switch, what a disaster of a game.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Robots for the Nintendo DS was one of the first times I bought a game with my own money and god did it feel like a consequence for not picking literally anything else in the store.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
51wuoxzaqML._SY445_.jpg

I'm pretty sure I only paid like $20 for this but it was still pretty bad. I basically forced myself to play it because I was like 11-12 years old at the time and couldn't admit to myself that I wasted my money. I'll never forget part of the second level of the game where you go on a boat and the water is entirely a flat texture (not even transparent) and there's probably just as much fog as an N64 game.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the worst game you rented twice?

i rented glover like every time they had it. someone erased my save after a few times and wrote SUK IT where my name was

I rented glover a bunch of times. Clayfighters 63 1/3 too.

when my family and I would visit Colombia in the 90s and 2000s I would buy and play a bunch of pirated dbz games, including Final bout. Those games were all bad but had dope intros.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Mind you, I don't make buying bad games a habit. But...

Sonic 06 - Worst part? I bought it twice (once for 360, once for PS3). I still maintain it could have been mildly enjoyable Sonic Adventure style game if it had one more year in the oven, but...it didn't.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Poor design leaking from every corner. Temple of the Ocean King can go to hell. Lots of DS gimmicks, most of which do not land. The only Zelda game I've ever played that I truly dislike.

Pokemon Shield - A hollow, cheap, content starved game that's so handholdy and overly linear it makes FFXIII blush. Also, hope you like raids, because that's literally all there is to do outside of the awful campaign.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, there are some bad takes in here. Sonic CD? Last of Us 2? Mario Odyssey? These are among the worst?

I was disappointed buying Wacky Waiters for Vic 20, Atomic Challenger for C64, and Donkey Kong 64 for N64. For rentals, Quad Challenge on Genesis sucked ass.

Last edited:

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Rented:

Mega Man Soccer - I was a huge Mega Man freak at the time and wanted to play something that wasn't X. I played it for like half an hour and put it back in the case and didn't touch it until it was time to return it. This might be the first time I rented something and felt disappointment. lol

Wolverine: Adamantium Rage - I was curious to find a Marvel game I didn't know about. Wish I hadn't bothered. I couldn't even get past the first stage. The only thing I remembered from the game is the cheesy rap intro.

Universal Studios Theme Park Adventures - HOLY SHIT a game that had Jurassic Park, ET and, most of all to me, Back to the Future shit in it?! I was so excited to rent this... ruined my weekend. lol

Bought:

Resident Evil Survivor - At the time I bought anything that was RE... shoulda read the reviews. I think I sold it to towards getting a Dreamcast game?

Evil Dead: Hail to the King - I was hardcore into Evil Dead and wanted to experience the supposed sequel to Army of Darkness. Found a pretty lame RE clone. The sequel Fistful of Boomstick wasn't much better.

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku - The first American-made DBZ game that was top-down RPG action like Zelda? Neat! The intro got me hyped up but when the game actually started it was a pain in the ass to play with clunky combat and lame level design.

Lord of the Ring: Fellowship of the Ring (GBA) - A bug ridden mess of a game that I ended up selling only a few days later. The Two Towers game (the first GBA game to be based on the movies) was decent in comparison.

Ghostbusters (DS) - I bought all three unique versions of the 2009 Ghostbusters game as I'm a huge GB nut. Had a great time with the 360 version, a fun co-op experience with the Wii version... Detested the DS version. A lifeless game that was a chore to finish despite being the only version where you could drive Ecto-1.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Bought Bravoman for Turbografx on the Wii Virtual Console because I saw it described as like a post modern video game that made fun of itself. I guess it is technically that, a very little bit, but it's also a decidedly bad game with like no redeeming qualities besides the bad guy having broccoli hair or something

I remember getting Blasto on PlayStation as a gift and even as a pretty young child realizing it was pretty bad

That kind of reminds me I rented some Wii sidescrolling shooter called "Blastworx" based on Nintendo Power pumping it up and whew, fastest I ever knew I made a mistake. Usually they never steered me wrong. I'll have to take another look at it some time to see if there was anything redeeming about it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I bought the quiet man at launch for full price. It is the only game I gave a 1/10 last year.

I was also like a $300 Bloodstained backer. I gave it a 3/10.

Both were in my bottom 5 of last year. So probably those.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Quiet Man, Left Alive, Major Minor's Majestic March, dozens of bad NES, SNES, and N64 games. Contra: Rogue Corps is pretty bad and absolutely hideous.

Some people here just love to shitpost or have absolutely horrendous taste. Or both.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
FarCry on the Wii, it was soooo bad. Framerate, textures everything was bad, but the worse were the controls my god where the controls bad on that game. I paid full price for it too, so many regrets.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll never not be salty about being hyped beyond belief for a Condemned sequel and it turning out to be such a dud compared to the original

I also bought left alive for full price based on the names attached to it and yeah we all know how that turned out

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It's probably not the worst I've ever bought, but in recent memory: Watch Dogs Legion. I bought it because I wanted to try a new game on my Series X and was in the mood for a GTA-like game.

Game's boring and it was dumb of me to buy it over some of the other games that were available at a similar price at the time.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
thinking about it, i might still be too stubborn to admit something I bought was terrible.

so the only thing that comes to mind is metal arms ps2. it gave me motion sickness immediately

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think the two worst games I've bought (and finished) are:

916usfiIb%2BL._SX342_.jpg

180416441.jpeg

Both are just fucking poorly designed junk. There's a bunch of other bad stuff I've bought (FF Type-0, FFXIII + XV, Conception 2, blah blah), but those are the two that immediately come to mind.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I absolutely hated Death Stranding, it was not worth $60 at all.

Monotonous walking/running around RUINED by the war sections. Bosses were a complete joke. UI was super cluttered. Inventory management was hard to grasp. The plot and dialogue was drivel. I got absolutely nothing out of the game. Felt nothing. It was the worst.
Spot on. The only game where I feel sad knowing I won't get the time back I wasted on it. Played it through to the end just to get a friend off my back.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
When the Switch came out I bought some game called Has Been Heroes to play in between Zelda sessions. I hadn't heard about it at all but it looked cool, sort of like a mix between tower defense and a rogue-like.

Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance but I played it for about an hour and couldn't make heads or tails of it, I kept getting my ass handed to me and had no idea whatsoever what I was doing wrong. I never touched it again after that single session.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
*Insert famously excellent game to be edgy and cool*

Honest answer is probably this shower of shite:
277883-little-red-hood-nes-front-cover.jpg

Yeeeeeeep, classic shit in threads like this lol.

For me, worst bought has to be Darkstone on the PS1. I can appreciate the ambition of the game, and it genuinely looked pretty good, but it's a bit of a stinker.

Worst rented is hard because I have rented alot of shit in my time. But I guess I could give it to Lion King on SNES, that second level is like hitting a brick wall and I never wanted to rent that fucking game again. A shame because I figured it would be great like Aladdin was before it.