• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
For some reason for the past week, I cant be bothered playing anything that isn't a Soulsborne (or similar) game. I'm replaying DS3, Bloodborne and Nioh at the moment. I'm just curious what's considered to be some of the best in the genre, since I see that games like The Surge 2 seem to be well liked but don't score too high on the review scale.

Hit me with some recommendations.

I've played:
Jedi Fallen Order (completed)
DeS
DS1
DS3 + DLC (completed and replaying)
Bloodborne
Nioh
Sekiro

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My favorite non-souls Soulslike is Code Vein. It does just enough with its gameplay to stand out with good build variety.

But it's super Saturday morning cartoon anime melodrama, which is what really sets it apart and I mean that in the best way.

The Surge 2 is alright. I couldn't finish it because while it does have good combat with a cool spin on how you obtain loot by attacking body parts, that's about all it had going for it. The writing, story, and lore do nothing to incentivize me to keep playing.

I can barely recall the main story beats and I was in the last hour or so of the game.

The level design is also really bad which compounded with the combat getting very stale after 6-7 hours resulted in me quitting the game.

MorfiUM

Chicken Chaser
Jan 15, 2018
Obviously DS2
Sekiro -> different approach
NiOh 2
Code Vein
The Surge 1/2
Lords of the Fallen
Remnant From the Ashes
Ashen
Blasphemous
Dead Cells

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
You mentioned the surge 2, but I'd still recommend that.

I enjoyed Code Vein a lot personally but I wouldn't call it great, oddly enough. Levels are far less inspired and boss fights are much easier, but it's a well made souls-like, just comes off kinda uninspired.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The surge 2 and Nioh are pretty much the only souls-like games I think are great. There're some 2d games like salt and sanctuary that are pretty good too.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Aside from Sekiro which is almost cheating as a FROM game:

Ashen
Remnant: From the Ashes (it's a shooter primarily, but follows the same Souls archetyes)
The Surge (especially 2)

These would be my choices, especially Ashen.

Also,

I see that games like The Surge 2 seem to be well liked but don't score too high on the review scale.

Didn't The Surge 2 score like a 75 on MC?

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Nioh 2 is the goat with regards to combat although it gets bogged down by less than stellar level design (better than the first game at least) and can be endlessly numbers-crunchy.
I don't think another game has really come close to FromSoft in terms of world and level design

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hollow Knight

For me the experience felt very similar to a Souls game. Exploration without hand-holding and the bosses were incredible.

Also Salt and Sanctuary, which is pretty good.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously DS2
Sekiro -> different approach
NiOh 2
Code Vein
The Surge 1/2
Lords of the Fallen
Remnant From the Ashes
Ashen
Blasphemous
Dead Cells
My thoughts on souls games to play (background experience is DS1 completion, completed main story of LotF, almost completed Ashen, completed first run of deadcells, dabbled with The surge and Remnant from the ashes)

1. Play more DS 1 (if you want) aim for all achievements or a certain build

2. I played Lords of the fallen, and completed it. It was fine, but general consensus was that The Surge was much better and more interesting...and the surge 2 was another step up from Surge 1 (all from same devs) - so just jump straight to Surge 2 unless you really really like the fantasy setting of LotF.

3. Remnant from the ashes is a really interesting shooter take on the souls genre. It's hard! the boss fights have a lot of mobs and it can feel difficult in single player to control the aggro. Shots and damage output are quite slow and deliberate so depending how good you are it can cross the line from "interestingly challenging" to "unfair". The first area is quite brown/bland but its meant to go to some really interesting places after that. It has shortcuts and secret areas etc which make it interesting.

4. Ashen. Most similar to DS1 in terms of melee combat, all stamina based, not much parrying etc. The background of the world is fairly generic (everything was dark, now it's getting lighter), but the world itself and characters are really interesting to explore. Different types of weapons to find and some good shortcuts and secrets to find.
It also has a unique drop in/drop out journey-like co-op system. You always have an AI person fighting alongside you but sometimes people can matchmake in and take them over. Then they can ping items of interest, help you in boss fights etc.
There are two areas where people get stuck, 50%-60% of the way through and the final boss. I didn't have it in me to beat the final boss but I did everything else.

5. Dead cells - a really well received game and very popular but i'm not sure i'd call it a souls-like. When you get better you can zoom around the maps spewing out death and destruction everywhere. It does have some secrets, and some boss fights. It's more of a 2D rogue-like though, where you gain cash (cells) on each run and spend them on getting more powerful and better abilities and weapons etc. Well worth playing but not necessarily a souls-like.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I thought The Surge :
- have better level design than Nioh.
- alright bosses (too few of them and the best of them only on par with mid tier From bosses, none are Bed Of Chaos tier tho...).
- interesting take on the formula. The "chip" system and individual body part targeting are the highlight for me
- the setting is interestjng, tho the writing is kinda bad lol.

Haven't played the second game but apparently its better than the first game.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Ashen was a very mediocre game btw.
I enjoyed Ashen even if it was not memorable.

I will stan for this game forever.

It has an excellent art style, solid combat and is just dripping with atmosphere throughout. The use of darkness in the dungeons and having to balance using a lantern is excellent. It's legitimately my favourite soulslike and I've played nearly all of the major contenders.

My one criticism of it is that there isn't enough interesting stuff to find in the world. It's great to explore, and has some actually great platforming and verticality but the loot you find can let it down.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing the Surge 2 and while the combat is pretty good I find everything else pretty uninspired, the world is boring and everything looks the same and claustrophobic which is a shame because a sci-fi souls game could be really cool.

Also one of the best part about Souls games are usually bosses and so far I've only fought where in a regular Dark Souls game I would've fought at least three or four. And it's not like that boss felt particularly amazing anyway, he was more of a puzzle boss and it didn't really feel rewarding killing him.

Level design is also pretty bad but that might be because everything looks the same despite the game telling me I'm in different areas..

Definitely don't understand how can people say those games are the best besides From Software own games when they've really got only one part of the formula down which is the combat.

Despite saying all that I'm still having fun but I wish the level design was more linear so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time..

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
SURGE and SURGE2 are some of the best Souls game i have ever played. Combat is much better.

no. just no.

The first is mediocre but ok for what it is, even if the combat is very floaty. leveldesign is garbage though.
the second is totally uninspired, overly "gamey" and just too easy.

that being said, there isnĀ“t even one non Fromsoft Souls game which nails the heavy animations and the impact of attacks at all. there is something about Fromsoft games when it comes to the animations, you really can feel the power when fighting, no other developer nailed this so far.

Oct 28, 2017
no. just no.

The first is mediocre but ok for what it is, even if the combat is very floaty. leveldesign is garbage though.
the second is totally uninspired, overly "gamey" and just too easy.

that being said, there isnĀ“t even one non Fromsoft Souls game which nails the heavy animations and the impact of attacks at all. there is something about Fromsoft games when it comes to the animations, you really can feel the power when fighting, no other developer nailed this so far.
Yeah I've only played the first one, it sucked.

Having tried a lot of "souls-likes" over the years I came to the realization there is just no replacement for the real deal.

I think one of the main problems is that many devs focus only on some specific aspects of these games. There is always something lost in the process.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary and Hollow Knight are the two only games that in my view managed to capture the soul of the Souls games. Really satisfying exploration, very good level design, strange world with old history where you often feel like you don't belong, fair combats/bosses.

I also very much enjoyed Blasphemous that sometimes has the Soul feeling, but it's a metroidvania before all.

I would really not recommend Code Vein because of its very poor level design even if I had some fun with it.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
How would you rank all played 2D-souls/metroidvania games on PS4?
I just got Salt & Sanctuary but had to shit down the horribly bad "distortion guitar music". Together with the visuals it feels a bit too much like an old Flash-game.

I've played the masterpiece Hollow Knight and wait for Death`s Gambit, Slain, Blasphemous, Dead Cell, Bloodstained, Momodora, Timespinners to go on sale for 10 EUR although 15EUR is good value!

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Code Vein is amazing. Play it solo (no NPC). It deserved way more praise than it got. Good thing it sold so well, hopefully a sequel with a budget that will help combat some of its flaws.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Remnant: From the Ashes

It's basically Shooter Souls, but there's still melee and you can really build your character in that direction if you want. Many people complained about the boss adds, but I loved them for the challenge they provided.

Dead Cells is really good too. It didn't hold my interest for nearly as long though.

jamoku

Dec 8, 2019
I'd also like to put a vote in for Hollow Knight as something you might enjoy given your mood and proclivity.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017

All these are must plays

Code Vein is amazing. Play it solo (no NPC). It deserved way more praise than it got. Good thing it sold so well, hopefully a sequel with a budget that will help combat some of its flaws.

Code Vein can be played solo ? I've never seen gameplay without NPC,so I thought it's embedded in the gameplay

Last edited: