• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Heavily inspired by the other thread.

I've played Skyrim and got pickpocketing and sneak to level 100 before I even got halfway through the main quests. I love stealing and breaking into places, and liked how Skyrim let you profit off of it later (through selling to the thief's guild) and then they also gave you quests to break in/steal etc. What are some other games like this?

I would prefer games where stealing isn't part of the core, but it's an option that you can do and take full advantage of if you're feeling immoral

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 1 & 2.

Pickpocketing let you plant timed explosive charges on enemies, which was a surefire way to kill people without getting in trouble or having to fight your way through a suddenly hostile base full of armed enemies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Thief-Deadly-Shadows-Free-Download1.jpg

teague

Dec 17, 2018
The rebooted Deus Ex games have very good theft in general--even random buildings with few/no story missions that are full of safes, laser systems, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Come, though people will shit on it and rightly so, has enjoyable thievery.

Morrowind, there's another you can half-inch half the planet in. Its tradition to steal the expensive stuff in the first room, drop it before the guards give you shit, then pick it all up after they tell you off because that somehow drops the stolen flag on it. Gives you a wee early game boost then you can go nuts stealing absolutely everything on the planet.

Failwood

Oct 27, 2017
Baldur's gate 2 was great for stealing. You were able to get a lot of good loot early if you played your cards right.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about the best, but I always seem to fall into kleptomaniac tendencies when I replay Morrowind. So much unattended, un-nailed down clutter just waiting for my greedy mitts.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
ESO has a fun stealing mechanic in that it's pretty similar to standard Elder Scrolls, but you don't normally have that option in an MMO.

Finding the right spots to sneak so no one sees you as you open Thieve's Troves and other things in order to steal nice shit is pretty fun.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Morrowing OVER skyrim?

By far. It's so remarkably easy and addicting to just clear out rooms, or entire buildings of uniquely hand-placed loot. I can genuinely tell how far I am in a save file at a glance by how large the pillow fort I've built via stealing from every NPC's bed I've come across.

MGE_Screenshot_002.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pickpocketing in Kingdom Come: Deliverance is really good. Definitely my favorite implementation of the mechanic since it requires both the situational awareness and stealth skills involved in setting it up and has a mechanical challenge associated with it. Plus it doesn't let you select anything and everything you want at once, which helps ensure it isn't easy to cheese.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By far. It's so remarkably easy and addicting to just clear out rooms, or entire buildings of uniquely hand-placed loot. I can genuinely tell how far I am in a save file at a glance by how large the pillow fort I've built via stealing from every NPC's bed I've come across.

MGE_Screenshot_002.png
lmao I love it

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I loved robbing people in Dishonored. Do it right and no one will know you were there, and you had so many fun spells and trinkets to make your way around.

My favourite was a mission where there' s a party and you have to bring a woman to the basement. Usually you're expected to tranquilize her and carry her to the basement, instead I possessed her and just walked out of the building. She was vomiting everywhere due to the possession but boy it worked well.

I feel like Vampire The Masquerade also had good sneaking missions but I might be remembering wrong.

May 21, 2018
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

I even stole from Death... and lived to keep the save file of it -- still have it backed up after all these years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I loved robbing people in Dishonored. Do it right and no one will know you were there, and you had so many fun spells and trinkets to make your way around.

My favourite was a mission where there' s a party and you have to bring a woman to the basement. Usually you're expected to tranquilize her and carry her to the basement, instead I possessed her and just walked out of the building. She was vomiting everywhere due to the possession but boy it worked well.

I feel like Vampire The Masquerade also had good sneaking missions but I might be remembering wrong.

cant believe dishonored 2 is still 40 bucks. ill get 1 over the weekend

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Fallout turned stealing into an attack of itself
Reverse pickpocketing explosives was too OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Final Fantasy IX leverages the fact that the protagonist is a thief by having some pretty fantastic items & weapons that can be stolen from a wide variety of enemies, as early as the very first battle in the game.

Octopath is a pretty good recent one as well. If you play your cards right, you can get into late game cities waaay earlier than you're supposed to, and you can use a combination of save scumming and Therion's stealing ability to get some of the best weapons in the game as early as chapter 2 for any character.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I used to love the jank stealing method in Fable TLC:
- force-feed the shopkeep beer til he or she is drunk
- lock onto them and slowly herd them out the door (Think pushing a hockey puck across the ice with a toothbrush)
- once they're far enough away flog all their stuff
- sell it back to them once they've sobered up

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I prefer thieving in Oblivion because it's just as satisfying but way more hilarious

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear Solid. You knock someone out, shake their unconscious body and grab everything that falls out.

Though depending on your country that might be robbing, not stealing. Or both, depending on intent and timing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Every enemy in Dragon Quest XI except for bosses has a common drop & a rare drop and there are some great pieces of equipment (and crafting materials) you can get via stealing (which gets the common drop) or certain pep unites (which may get the rare drop). And it tells you the drop tables for every enemy after you've defeated it at least once so you know which enemies to target.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hero's Quest/ Quest for Glory.

Joining the thieves' guild and breaking into some house and burglarizing it is strangely satisfying ("strangely" as a victim of a burglary IRL)

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Stealing is fun in divinity especially in co-op. One of you can distract people, while the other person robs them .