• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean these are important issues but absolutely no one outside this forum cares about them.

This is bullshit. Just one recent example: Wargoove controversy didn't blow up because of this forum. They didn't respond because of this forum. It happened because a fuckton of people noticed and took issue with it over social media.

Questions that I've seen being posed:
- Non-white, non-straight characters: should they exist in muh games?
- Women: why are SJW cucks destroying boner culture by making women not look like walking sex dolls?
- Why can't I say racial slurs during heated gaming moments?
And so much more.

Basically, anything involving people that are not straight, white, or male inevitably ends up being incendiary or polarizing. r/gamersriseup has a running joke where users post a racist claim about African-Americans and crime rates. The Rainbow6 Siege subreddit had a video where a woman solo'd a round because she was getting harassed over chat. I'm sure every one of us has experienced a time where we've heard racial slurs over voice chat. And it's not like this forum isn't averse to this. The mods literally had to put up a modpost asking users here to not make fun of a Tekken character's ethnic name.

So, to answer your question, gaming's most incendiary and polarizing issue is gamers and the way they treat people who are not like them.

This is accurate. Great post, and pretty much covers everything I would say.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
xmCs4wM.jpg

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
"Real Games/Gamers" and other qualifiers based on what you chose to play comes to mind. Though maybe not be as prevalent as it once was.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
  1. Pre-release buzzwords like "visceral"
  2. "Metroidvania"
  3. Generic white usually personality-less protagonist
  4. Tig ol Bitties on female characters for no reason
  5. Microtransactions.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
NBA2K stealing millions of dollars as a AAA game with the support of celebrities, athletes, and influencers despite its terrible devs and community managers.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2019 gaming standards and Pokemon.

Nintendo's handling of everything regarding internet.

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
Nintendo and Sony's broken deal in the 90s.
Because this lead to two things
1. Hotel Mario, and the much bigger problem
2. Sony was with Nintendo on the PlayStation, after they broke the deal they went on to make it themselves, so Nintendo basically created their biggest rivalry.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I would say the big ones I see again and again are difficulty adjustment and how justifiable loot boxes / season passes / microtransactions in general are.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sexualized character designs.

Games treating women like sex toys is, unfortunately, not something many gamers give a shit about. So, it isn't that polarizing at the moment. As the audience (hopefully) evolves, how women are represented will become something that people actually start to pay attention to.

There has clearly been some headway made, but we have SO much further to go.

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted versus non-inverted. I think a lot of the comments on those threads are flippant and trolling though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted look is a good one. It stuns me that I used to play most shooters with inverted look back in the day, now I'm completely unable to play that way.

Back about 15+ years ago, there was contentious arguments about Mouse+KB vs. Controller. It basically broke down along PC vs. console lines completely. People who had mostly only played consoles would have scoffed that KB+Mouse a better controlling interface for many shooters. Now-a-days the debate is largely settled because most enthusiast gamers have played both on PC and consoles at this point, and now they get it.

Regarding controllers you still see some contention around offset analog sticks or inline analog sticks, and that usually breaks down along console-war lines.

A niche debate in FPS gaming used to be between trackball users and mouse users, with trackball users insisting it was a more accurate input method for first person shooters. It was pretty niche at the time. Now-a-days I don't see that debate very often.

Digital vs. physical games is still a fairly contentious debate.

Sadly you don't see many game vs. game debates anymore because licensing has become so exclusive. The only handful of game v. game debates that could still be around are Forza vs. Gran Turismo. But, back 15+ years ago...
  • NFL: Madden vs. Sega Sports series (Starting with ~Madden 95 v NFL 95, culminating with Madden '05 vs NFL 2K5), but also featuring NFL Quarterback Club, Tecmo Superbowl, NFL GameDay and a whole host of others
  • NBA: NBA Live vs. NBA Shootout vs. NBA In the Zone vs. Kobe Bryant's Courtside vs. NBA 2K
  • MLB: High Heat vs. Triple Play vs. MLB Series ("The Show") vs. MVP v. MLB 2K v...
  • Wrestling: WWF (Warzone, Attitude) vs. WCW (WCW vs. the World, NWO v WCW), v. Wrestlemania 2000 / WWF No Mercy
  • NHL: Bret Hull Hockey vs. NHL Series (EA series) vs. everything else (2K, SegaSports, etc)
  • Soccer: FIFA vs PES vs everything else throughout the years
These were good, stupid, unsettle-able debates in the day, and it's great how some series took over for a while and then fell, etc. But, sadly, because of licensing almost no game vs. game series really stil hold up... MAybe Battlefield vs. Call of Duty is one of the few, but I don't think there's as much tribalism around that as there was over, like Madden vs. GameDay in 1997 or Madden vs. 2K series in the 2000s.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
LTTP: I just played AmazingGameThatYouLove for the first time and it's actually terrible.

(or at least that's the routine controversy at resetera)

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That Sekiro accessibility vs difficulty argument was a big recent one

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
That I as a black man can't get a NORMAL fucking haircut or character creation options in most games
Every black hair option in character creation, ever:

- bald
- buzz cut with fucked up hairline
- pixelised jpeg cornrows (with fucked up hairline)
- twa with receding, fucked up hairline
- wig locs (with fucked up hairline)
- joke afro

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Every black hair option in character creation, ever:

- bald
- buzz cut with fucked up hairline
- pixelised jpeg cornrows (with fucked up hairline)
- twa with receding, fucked up hairline
- wig locs (with fucked up hairline)
- joke afro
But what if I wanted an all even medium caesar with a taper on both sides and the back? Or a medium curly fro top lol. And not to mention the locs and or/braids be having ZERO hangtime

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The current console wars are super annoying, especially seeing fanboys on both sides using stupid nicknames for the competition instead of having actual productive discussion.

Current. The nickname game has been going on for a very long time and this site doesn't even partake in that activity. I mean I think I would chuckle if I heard someone here call someone else a cow or lemming.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon's audience has a lot of polarizing issues. Game's intended audience, whether or not Dexit is a big deal, best Pokemon of course, and a bunch of others.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The current console wars are super annoying, especially seeing fanboys on both sides using stupid nicknames for the competition instead of having actual productive discussion.

It's not even that, its some having actual vendettas against ppl. Childish as hell.

All because someone says A is slightly....slightly...more powerful than B.

Christ. Some threads have been an absolute mess lately. For no reason.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With games having deep price cuts so soon, it will become unsustainable for devs to mak a living out it it's catalogue...

...Why is this Nintendo game so expensive so many years after it's launch?