• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm heading to NYC on the 13th and I'm looking for places to head to that are kind of like...local favorites and also not very publicized. Any ideas?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Places as in bars/restaurants?

Edit: and what kind of budget are we talking? I could ramble off dozens of amazing places but many will cost you.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
grab a slice from papa johns and check out the statue of liberty

giphy.gif

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to hear the responses for my next trip to NYC but also i'd remember that you are a tourist and you don't have to prove anything, it's perfectly reasonable to go to famous or historic places, they're just that for a reason.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont be afraid of things just because they're popular.

Nothing wrong with central park, statue of liberty, etc.

Times square sucks though, dont go there

aLaxLuthor

Oct 29, 2017
They're reasonably well known, but I'd still say go walk the high line, then (if you're a fan of performance art) go see 'Sleep No More' there is nothing else like it.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
Check out comedy cellar
walk around the easy village / west village / surrounding areas and try out a few bars / take it all in
Red Hook (fort defiance has great brunch and is not a shit show) is a fun place to walk around, some random specialty shops, art, a place that only makes key lime pies, and you can reach it via ferry

Dec 31, 2017
There are tourists everywhere but some places are more worthwhile than others. In general the village/LES/Soho are fun to walk around in. Union square farmers market on saturdays.

You can always check out Brooklyn; Williamsburg is pretty cool to see. Smorgasburg is a food vendor festival on Saturdays.

One touristy thing that is awesome is going atop the freedom tower; immense view. Central Park is also amazing.

Avoid Times Square; spend the minimum time needed to see it and move on.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
The trip uptown to The Cloisters and Fort Tryon Park is worth it

If you're into Jazz there's Bill's Place in Harlem

This guy knows something about something.

The Cloisters is one of my favorite museums/locations of any city I've ever been to, not just NYC.

Check our Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Wave Hill Public Garden in the Bronx, the Chinese Scholar Garden in Staten Island, and stroll any of the major, densely populated and multi-ethnic neighborhoods of Queens.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drop off service is the best bar in the city and I'll fight anyonenwho disagrees.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Old Towne Tavern for the history.

Roof deck at the pod 39 hotel/taco spot. Not the best view but also not a pretentious shitshow

Go to K-town for BBQ and Flushing for dumplings

L&B Spumoni Gardens for square slices and spumoni. Joes or Johns of Bleeker for regular slices

Gantry Park for sick Manhattan skyline views. Bonus points if you take the ferry there.

There's a million "non-touristy" things to do

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the time when I visit NYC it's to eat food I cant get in Missouri, I don't actually go to points of interest most of the time.

I always hit up the farmer's market in Union Square to either gawk at food or actually buy stuff I need to cook for the duration of my trip. Also near Union Station are my go to spots for comics and books: Strand (bookstore) and Forbidden Planet (comics/manga/figurines)

If you're into manga/anime, I recommend checking out the Kinokuniya near Grand Central Station (and also check out Grand Central Station since it's a pretty cool station anyway)

The Met museum and MoMA (Museum of Modren Art) are always fun and have interesting exhibits if that's your thing plus there's the natural history museum near Central Park

Food recommendations:

Ippudo (I go to the east side shop): Probably the best ramen I've had. Be ready to wait because it gets busy
Pomme Frites: Doubled fried Belgian fries with various sauces, highly recommended
Van Leuwens Ice Cream: A mixture of familiar and unique flavors (one time I got brownie black ash ice cream--tasted like really good vanilla that had gone goth with brownie chunks in it)
Sundaes and Cones: familiar and Asian inspired ice cream like wasabi honey and Thai tea
Donut Plant: Rotating selection of donuts--best one is Creme Brulee
Crif Dogs: Range of normal to wild toppings on hot dogs (I always get bacon wrapped hotdogs with some crazy topping)

Place I always hear good things about but have never been: Shopsins (they have a ridiculously extensive food menu I know this)

Last edited:

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even tough is a popular tourist site, I really enjoyed going to the Intrepid museum last summer. Lots of cool stuff and NASA's Enterprise exhibit was my favorite.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to hear the responses for my next trip to NYC but also i'd remember that you are a tourist and you don't have to prove anything, it's perfectly reasonable to go to famous or historic places, they're just that for a reason.
Really depends on what you're into. There's some really great places to eat and just hang out, let alone all the museums and stuff. Real talk, all the museums are really fun. The Natural History one is just crazy. Wish The Met still had that shark in a tank of formaldehyde though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It will be a massive list honestly. I'll give you some deep cuts.

Food:

The new renovated Essex Market is fun.

Art:

The Whitney Museum is doing its Biennial Show right now. Well worth checking out it as it's only every two years.

Parks:

Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Nice change of pace from Central Park, which is still amazing.

Nightlife:

House of Yes in Brooklyn. Not for the prudish, though. People regularly walk around without much clothing. Bushwick has a lot of nice warehouse party locations. This is where the nightlife went after Manhattan got too pricey and full of bridge and tunnel folks.

Gaming: (You are on ERA obviously)

Video Games NY and J&L Games are worth a visit, even just to browse.

Misc:

Avoid the Brooklyn Bridge it's a crowded mess of tourists. All the cool kids do the Williamsburg Bridge. You can walk it or use a Citibike

Citbikes are great. Stick to bike lanes and pay heed to the traffic lights and you'll be fine.

Get a MetroCard. Uber/Lyft are good, but they are very pricey in NYC.

Most bookstores and public parks have restrooms. Random hotel lobbies too. Eating establishments do to but you need to patron to use obviously. Tourists tend to not know the clean restroom spots.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of amazing Ramen places - Ramen Ya or Totto come to mind.

Some people mentioned the village and comedy cellar which are great but not exactly light on tourists. It won't be that crazy now since school is out for the summer but one of my favorite dive bars is right there called Off The Wagon

Barcade has several locations around the city which is good for fun.

Hill Country is one of my favorite BBQ spots, cafeteria style so you just tell them what you want by weight.

All the big museums are worth your time if you are in to the museum scene at all.

Don't know where you are from but if you haven't gone to a Shake Shack I would recommend going to it atleast once.

Prospect Park in Brooklyn is a great spot, not quite as overcrowded as Central Park

Not exactly luxurious but I've always loved Grays Papaya after a long night of drinking. Cheap hot dogs and a papaya juice.

I haven't been there in awhile but my favorite place for day drinking is the Bohemian Hall in Queens. Classic outdoor beer garden, always used to go watch World Cup or Euros there. Pretty far out from Manhattan.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge will be choked with tourists but if you can get over to Brooklyn Bridge Park it's a pretty sweet spot to hang at.

Likewise Riverside Park on the Upper West Side has a couple nice little cafe/bars on the water which are great to hang out if the weather is good.

Bemelmans Bar is awesome but very very expensive. Amazing cocktails with all the really cool classic drawings on the walls.

Opposite end of the spectrum is Strangelove Bar which is just a small dive bar with cheapish drinks.

Refinery Rooftop is a cool roof top bar although it's most likely going to be packed at all times in the summer.

I also unironically love Coney Island, the Circus Sideshow is always great after a few too many beers.

I could go on if you have any specific types of food you like or are interested in.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My suggestion to you is walk as much as you can. Just walking around Manhattan, seeing the different neighborhoods and their swag is cool.

- Walk through Hudson River Park on the Westside. There's also an awesome big ass lawn by the water on the South end.

- East River Park has nice views too but Hudson is just developed better. If you're by the water check it out.

- Check out the Brooklyn Bridge, it's very touristy and crowded but if you've never try it once. Brooklyn Bridge Park is also cool.

- if you're not shook, Walk the Manhattan Bridge at night. It is a better view of East River and Manhattan south skyline at night. The city ruined it a little with their new bright ass gentrification lights, the light pollution from them takes away from the view compared to prior times.

- Governour's Island is a cool spot to check out too. Former military barracks, you can ride bikes around there or just walk around and appreciate the views.

- If you want to hang out in Williamsburg and are near the east side of Manhattan then walk over on the Williamsburg Bridge.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really depends on what you're into. There's some really great places to eat and just hang out, let alone all the museums and stuff. Real talk, all the museums are really fun. The Natural History one is just crazy. Wish The Met still had that shark in a tank of formaldehyde though.

This is actually what I want to spend a lot of time doing.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After looking at photos, The Cloisters is the Dark Souls of Upper Manhattan. This thread is subbed.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Highline is a bit touristy these days, but still worth the walk. I go on it every now and then.

Also walk the Brooklyn bridge. If you can do it during sunrise, do that.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
You can check out the High Line. It's an old train line that was closed down and repurposed and is just awesome to go to and walk down.

Edit: Beaten by a minute haha

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
OP, if you want something unique, check out St. Mark's in East Village.

Oh god, an nyc era meetup? I fear for your soul op.
Let me tell you a little story of the last time I went to an NYC era Meetup:

Arrived right on time at the bar. Someone from the group's already passed out, little bit later on pukes all over bar floor. We get kicked out of the establishment (we were pretty much the only patrons there to being with). Move to the next place. Have a pretty good time, good food, convo, drinks. Someone, a bit drunk, goes outside to wait for a friend. Don't hear from him for a while, consider he left for the night. We wrap up at the current place and stand around outside. We see some commotion at a nearby car, some people looking inside at someone sleeping in it. People peering in open the door. They are apparently the owners of the car. The person sleeping? The ERA member who left to wait for his friend, somehow made it some stranger's car to take a nap. Group starts walking in search of food, half break off to go to one place, more people break off to another place, I'm left with maybe 2 others, then just decide to call it a night.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
OP, if you want something unique, check out St. Mark's in East Village.

Let me tell you a little story of the last time I went to an NYC era Meetup:

Arrived right on time at the bar. Someone from the group's already passed out, little bit later on pukes all over bar floor. We get kicked out of the establishment (we were pretty much the only patrons there to being with). Move to the next place. Have a pretty good time, good food, convo, drinks. Someone, a bit drunk, goes outside to wait for a friend. Don't hear from him for a while, consider he left for the night. We wrap up at the current place and stand around outside. We see some commotion at a nearby car, some people looking inside at someone sleeping in it. People peering in open the door. They are apparently the owners of the car. The person sleeping? The ERA member who left to wait for his friend, somehow made it some stranger's car to take a nap. Group starts walking in search of food, half break off to go to one place, more people break off to another place, I'm left with maybe 2 others, then just decide to call it a night.
In fairness, that is not normal. The guys who caused the problems don't come out anymore.