• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Starlancer

IxEsreR.jpg
B7FU4Bo.jpg

yeb1kVr.gif

Edit: I still have the discs but, y'know. Hellbender won't install on modern Windows.

Dec 4, 2017
Of those not mentioned here, I'd say Magic & Mayhem (and its pseudo-sequel), Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy, Soldiers of Anarchy, and Bedlam (and Bedlam 2).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting because 3D Realms' own site says that the Duke Nukem titles as unavailable, while others are either free downloads or on Steam/GOG. It's also why the 3D Realms Anthology is gone - it included Duke Nukem games. That Zoom site even says that 3D Realms is the publisher, while it should be Gearbox if they chose to release them again.

Hopefully nobody tells Randy Pitchford about this!

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Quick +1s to MechWarrior 2, Combat Flight Simulator 1+2, and Black and White.

My big ones in this category were the earlier Blizzard classics like Diablo 1, WarCraft 1+2, but those are on GoG now.

The real and best answer is a game very few people have heard of, much less played, but which is the best 2D RTS ever made. I am of course talking about Strifeshadow. The site is still up at Ethermoon.com if you want to see more.
- Very much in the vein of StarCraft, Designed by Tom Cadwell (Blizzard, Riot)
- Indie game ahead of its time that might have lived if digital distribution had existed.
- Resource model designed to encourage constant low level conflict rather than single large army battles.
- Engagement model that let battles play out much more tactically, with melee units holding a front line.
- Three unique races.
- Editor that let you just go in and not only build maps but define your own tilesets, units, spells, entire races.
- Nice soundtrack sort of in the WarCraft 2 mold, simplistic but atmospheric.
- And the true death knell of the game: multiplayer only.

Oct 31, 2017
Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2, what I'd give to play those again. Also the original Zoo Tycoon game with dinosaur expansion. I'd straight up buy all of these at $60 no questions asked if given the opportunity to do so.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me want to dig into my physical CDs and see what's missing out there. Some of these are triggering flashbacks to my 13 year old self

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread makes it clear a pretty big unexplored territory for GOG is older Japanese PC games, specifically Windows versions of Japanese games from the late 90's and early 00's. I imagine the main problem is CDProjekt being able to talk the publishers into it. Konami would be a tough one. First there's establishing links with Japanese publishers in and of itself, and then convincing them to sell those games DRM-free.

There are some Japanese games on GOG but they seem to be specific cases with certain publishers: Nihon Falcom's recent PC ports and remasters, SNK's emulated arcade games (emulated console games are a whole other conversation), etc. It'd be a whole other step for CDProjekt to convince the likes of Konami to let it release MGS and Silent Hill. I remember back in the day Ben Judd tried to get Capcom to put the old Windows version of Mega Man X on GOG (I think old Windows SFII is up there).

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in the day Ben Judd tried to get Capcom to put the old Windows version of Mega Man X on GOG (I think old Windows SFII is up there).

Is there anything special or unique about the PC version of Megaman X that I can't just experience in the Megaman X Legacy Collection? My experience with most console to PC ports at the time was that they did pretty half assed jobs at doing them.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything special or unique about the PC version of Megaman X that I can't just experience in the Megaman X Legacy Collection? My experience with most console to PC ports at the time was that they did pretty half assed jobs at doing them.

Oh this attempt was way before X Legacy Collection. Years ago.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4

Its honestly pathetic the way Konami treats the series.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Powerslave.

And there's a whole slew of Need For Speed titles that will likely never see the light of day again due to licensing.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Richard Burns Rally seems an obvious one. Some would say the Dirt Rally games have succeeded it but I don't think everyone holds that opinion. The Flight Unlimited games too.

F22: Air Dominance Fighter doesn't even have a PCGamingWiki page let alone a digital re-release. Having a copy of it myself I should probably make the effort to change the former. 🤔

Edit: oh wait, F22:ADF does have a PCGW page!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not only does Nocturne need a digital release

but oh gordie howe almighty it needs a remake ala RE2

A setting like Nocturne should get more love tbqh

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
SimTower and its sequel Yoot Tower / The Tower II. Hard to believe such a defining game of my childhood is a mere 34.5 MB.

May 10, 2019
SimTower and its sequel Yoot Tower / The Tower II. Hard to believe such a defining game of my childhood is a mere 34.5 MB.

What's sad (and I brought this up earlier) is how nothing has really ever surpassed Yoot Tower.

-Project Highrise is entirely too clinical and not fun to play (even on consoles).
-Mad Tower Tycoon is a strong work in progress but it's hamstrung by limited building utility options for late game advancement.
-Even The Tower SP on Game Boy Advance doesn't give you the same function and scope as the first two games.

So hopefully Saito sees the trend here and decides to either reissue The Tower 2 or just go all in on The Tower 3 for PC and consoles.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
This topic reminded me that NOLF still isn't released. And here I thought it was actually digital already. :(

Thanks OP!

PS: I can't think of any games.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Typing of the Dead

It's a shame, since the PC is easily the perfect platform for it. Not sure why Sega has allowed the game to languish, when they've done PC re-issues on almost all of their cult classics.
Came here to post this. I bought Typing of the Dead PC for my mum and she did not appreciate it! I blame Mavis Beacon.
I remember playing TOTD on her PC and it having a bunch of serious typing teaching modes not present on the Dreamcast version. It's really sad that they didn't make this available.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Star Wars Battle For Naboo
Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3
Resident Evil 1 - 3
Silent Hill
Gears of War 1 and 2(?)
Alien vs Predator 2
Dino Crisis (and 2?)

Thats me list. Any of them release yet?

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
They have already been listed but are significant to me:

Blood Omen : Legacy of Kain
Exhumed/Powerslave

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
How about patches downgrading PC games? getting the original Half Life 1 & 2 isn't easy now, both versions have been downgraded quite heavily with patches, Valve only recently fixed the blinking glitch.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
How about patches downgrading PC games? getting the original Half Life 1 & 2 isn't easy now, both versions have been downgraded quite heavily with patches, Valve only recently fixed the blinking glitch.
They'll never do it, and I get why, but I still think it'd be neat if Steam had a native roll back patch feature

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Bungie's PC catalogue has been left in the cold. Oni (the PS2 version isn't on PSN either), Myth 1 and 2, I'd love to see them available again.
Heretic II never got a digital release and old physical copies are the only legal way to play it. It's quite difficult to get running properly and requires use of an unofficial patch and a weird music fix. The mission pack for Hexen II, Portal of Praevus, similarly never got a rerelease. The latter is now absurdly expensive, usually going for at least £60 on eBay.

Sid & Al's Incredible Toons (alternatively known as The Incredible Toon Machine), was a cartoon-based spin-off of the Incredible Machine series and was great fun! I have no idea why it's never been re-released as all the other games are available on GOG and (I think) Steam.
Rockstar don't get out of bed for less than 15million units sold
Also the PC Silent Hill releases. I've got physicals but more people deserve to play them.
Old Silent Hill and MGS games
Black & White
Silent Hill 2-4
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
The Pro Skater games that matter.
Silent Hill PC ports. 2 to 4.
Monolith's "Claw"- one of the best PC platformers ever.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain- the best Zelda Clone of all time.

Discworld games

Oni.

Black & White
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2

I have both on disk but they are VERY rare now sadly wish had digital
I don't think the original Civilization, and Civilization II ever actually got a re-release, which is a giant shame.

At least we have Alpha Centauri.
So many... most wanted for me (specifically on a PC digital store; I know some are available elsewhere):

Virtua Squad
Jane's F-15
Virtual-On
Die Hard Trilogy 2
SimTower
MS Golf 3.0
Tribes 2
Need for Speed: High Stakes
Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego 3.0
Driver
MGS 1 and 2
Seeing the Harry Potter games get re-released would be really solid. Particularly the older ones.
Discworld (Noir).
Oni.
Grand Prix Legends.
The Godfather.
I would love a re-release of the Harry Potter games on GoG! They are awesome. I have the first two on my shelf, but it's a little annoying having to deal with patches to make them work.
A bunch of Sega's 1994-2006 PC output has completely vanished, and people will bring up stuff that had a following or console presence (like House of the Dead or Daytona or even arcade ports like Virtual On) or was a victim of licensing like Outrun 2006, but there's a whole lot of other esoteric stuff they did that was mostly PC only, oftentimes under the SegaSoft brand.

Lose_Your_Marbles_Front_Cover_for_PC.jpg

Lose Your Marbles - a pit drop puzzle game, sort of based on Puyo Puyo but with a different board layout and perspective. It wasn't bad, but I dunno if I'd go with "better than Tetris". This was all in house, so nothing's really stopping this from resurfacing that I know of.

SpaceBarBoxArtIsometric.png

The Space Bar! A brilliant point and click adventure by Steve Meretzky from Infocom. It had a long development cycle though and in the end, was so ignored by the public that Meretzky gave up on adventure games. He works on phone stuff now. This is likely a publishing rights situation, since Rocket Science Games was also involved, but it deserves to have another chance.

Obsidian_Coverart.png

Obsidian. Like The Space Bar (and Rocket Jockey), it was a Rocket Science project that was a collaboration/adoption with SegaSoft. There was a lot of marketing out there for what turned out to be a niche FMV adventure game rooted in cryptic futurism - I barely watched TV and I remember seeing ad spots for it in early 1997 on prime time cable.

I was going to mention Emperor of the Fading Suns here, but the still-active developers have it on their webiste (along with Machiavellii/Merchant Prince, another favorite).

As far as Japanese imports, Sega on PC was even more curious.

94003-enemy-zero-windows-front-cover.jpg

ENEMY ZERO. Think of it as D 1.5 - since it's connected to the D series via the lead character Laura. No telling about the rights situation, due to Kenji Eno's death. If it's under the purview of From Yellow To Orange, Nightdive might be able to pick this up for a re-release, and maybe even work out logistics for a first ever PC release for D2, since it was only ever on Dreamcast.

51096-yoot-tower-macintosh-front-cover.jpg

YooT Tower! An improvement in every possible way over SimTower. I still have the game installed from disc on my computer and still load it up every few months, since it's never really been surpassed, by Yoot Saito himself or by any of the spiritual successors.

94936-hundred-swords-windows-front-cover.jpg

Hundred Swords - SmileBit does real time strategy. An interesting but clumsy take on Warcraft, and also originally made for Dreamcast. With updates and a reissue though it would probably get a following. Also I really don't know how Activision got the publishing rights in the US, but they probably don't have them anymore.
Silent Hill 2's pc release hasn't gotten a digital release yet to my knowledge.
I would love for the Myth games to show up on gog. I really liked the first 2. I didn't even remember there was a 3rd one. No clue what was going on in my life at the time that I missed out on that one.

I was going to come into this topic and speak the gospel of the old Bungie catalog, but it looks people have that covered. Not only that but there are some damn good suggestions in here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Metal F.A.K.K.2 and Drakan : Order of the Flame are two that I really hope would drop on GOG.
I didn't expect to see either of these titles come up, or Nocturne either, but these 3, along with the NOLF games are my top 'please release them digitally!!!11!!!!!' titles.
Drakan, despite getting a ps2-only sequel has a thriving modding community keeping the game alive. I would do despicable things for a proper re-release or pc sequel. If Lara can get a modern series, surely Rynn and flying dragon battles should be able to as well.

Honourable mentions to Elite Force 1 and 2, AvsP2 and Klingon Honor Guard as other titles that I can remember off hand v that I want digitally