• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm looking for video game podcasts that are a mix of news, opinions, and recommendations. I mostly play JPRGs/Japanese games but I'm OK with it being more general. Thanks! Preferably weekly.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
They're not JRPG focused but The Giant Beastcast and Waypoint Radio are the two I listen to regularly. They're definitely a mix of news, opinions and recommendations.

I recently added the Fanbyte Podcast to my rotation but haven't listened enough to give a recommendation.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
8-4 Play is a must if you love Japanese gaming.

Abnormal Mapping is great too for more game specific discussions.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Retronauts and Cane & Rinse :~)

Came to say these

Also Axe of the Blood God and Time Extend

I've had a few of my comments read out on Cane & Rinse podcasts before (They have a small but really great forum if anyone finds Era exhausting at times)

I wish there were more gaming podcasts that were not focused on news, as I get news on Era and by the time I get around to most podcasts the news is out of date

Retronauts and Cane & Rinse are great as their episodes don't really end up being dated, as they're always talking about a single game/topic/series

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
8-4 Play and Axe of the Blood God are the obvious picks for news with a Japanese slant.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
The only two video game podcasts I listen to are from Easy Allies. Easy Allies podcast (mostly news) and Frame Trap (about games they have been playing). A lot of the allies are huge fans of Japanese games to the point people sometimes complain about it lol.

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
I do a monthly gaming podcast called Party Crashers, a monthly music/movies/tv podcast called Funny Business and an anything and everything pop culture weekly podcast called The Morning Brew.

www.rosemary.media if you wanna check us out!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only two video game podcasts I listen to are from Easy Allies. Easy Allies podcast (mostly news) and Frame Trap (about games they have been playing). A lot of the allies are huge fans of Japanese games to the point people sometimes complain about it lol.

I wish Easy Allies did a podcast that looked at classic games or series'.

I like FrameTrap but they're often playing a lot of new games and I'm always LTTP so they still talk about a lot of games I don't want to be spoiled on

Jul 10, 2018
Lost in Nostalgia, a limited podcast presented as a mix of old and new recordings from 1997 and 2017, outlining select late 90's arcade games with a Namco-leaning focus.

lostinnostalgia.libsyn.com

Lost in Nostalgia: a 90's Arcade Radio Show, 20 Years On

A limited podcast presented as a mix of old and new recordings, 1997 and 2017, outlining select late 90's arcade games with a Namco-leaning focus. The podcast is a 25-episode series plus one introductory Day 0 episode. Each episode may include the following: *Simulating booting a newly arrived...

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Not sure of any JPRG-specific ones, but weekly general ones I'm a fan of are GameXplain Real Talk, Frame Trap, IGN Unfiltered, and The Game Informer Show.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bombcast
Game Informer
MinnMax

8-4 i think its called might be up your alley. I believe its based in Japan.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
The only one I listen to regularly is Splitscreen. Don't always agree with them but it's always fun and pleasant to listen to, and sometimes you get an intresting scoop or tease from Schreier.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint Radio's been my go to recently. It's clever and insightful as you might expect given the folks involved, but also quite funny too (albeit that latter part boosted by how infectious Cado's laugh is).

Podquisition, as well, though my listening to that has been on and off recently.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Player One Podcast is the best gaming podcast out there.
8-4 Play, Axe of the Blood, Easy Allies and Retronauts are also part of the basic rotation.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Out For Fireballs is my favorite. Kind of like a book club podcast but for games. Basically 2-3 hours devoted to in-depth talk about a certain game. They cover a lot of games and genres, though JRPGs not all that much. Still quite good, very insightful and a good way to vicariously "play" or learn about games you don't have time for. oni-link it sounds like you might like this if you enjoy Cane & Rinse.

The hosts also do another podcast called Bonfireside Chat, where they go super deep into From Software's games as well as other Soulslikes. That's definitely worth a listen if you enjoyed those. Has some fun guest appearances too like Austin Walker.

Last edited:

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Game Maker's Notebook with Ted Price is the best. Very insightful stuff about development and the industry at large. Everyone with an interest in games should listen to it.

If you are a fan of racing games, check out Time Extend. Some ERA member made a thread about it a couple of weeks back and I've been a fan since. Great podcast!

Dec 1, 2017
Watch Out For Fireballs is my favorite. Kind of like a book club podcast but for games. Basically 2-3 hours devoted to in-depth talk about a certain game. They cover a lot of games and genres, though JRPGs not all that much. Still quite good, very insightful and a good way to vicariously "play" or learn about games you don't have time for. oni-link it sounds like you might like this if you enjoy Cane & Rinse.

The hosts also do another podcast called Bonfireside Chat, where they go super deep into From Software's games as well as other Soulslikes. That's definitely worth a listen if you enjoyed those. Has some fun guest appearances too like Austin Walker.
Adding to that, those shows are part of Duckfeed which is the 2 hosts' network of podcasts, The Level being a typical but good format of "Whatcha been playin", News and banter between the hosts.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I like that these threads come up every few months. It's a good way to discover new podcasts I may not have known about.

Here are two I think deserve some attention, which are both music-focused but give me lots of new recommendations to check out.

1. Cane and Rinse - Sound of Play: A great UK-based game music podcast with a mix of old and new.

2. XVGM Radio: US-based, have a lot of composer-focused and theme-based episodes. Their production quality is also very good with skits mixed into the episodes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Adding to that, those shows are part of Duckfeed which is the 2 hosts' network of podcasts, The Level being a typical but good format of "Whatcha been playin", News and banter between the hosts.

Oh, yeah. That's a solid show, but I don't listen to it as often as WOFF, admittedly. Abject Suffering is also quite fun just for general gaming (and snack) related comedy. The recent Captain Crunch game episode(s) slayed me.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They get a bit of a bad rap around here, but Kinda Funny had a bit of a refresh of their gaming channel at the start of the year and have been on fire since.

Kinda Funny Games Daily is probably the easiest to get into since it's literally just daily news... you can just pick any episode and jump in. They rotate hosts so the episodes have a slightly different vibe depending on the day (I'd personally recommend Wednesdays with Gary Whitta).

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I've been listening to video game podcasts for years and the Easy Allies podcast is the only one that's never felt dull.

Oct 27, 2017
The Easy Allies have two podcasts, the main one and a secondary one called Frame Trap, the latter of which is hosted by a big JRPG fan, so JRPGs and other Japanese games often come up in the discussion on that one. In fact, a lot of the Allies are really into Japanese games and anime (check out their reaction to the Jump Force reveal lol). MinnMax is a good one, they're made up of former Game Informer folks, and they recently did a video/podcast series doing a deep dive into Chrono Trigger, and are doing a ton of FFVII content in the leadup to the remake. Lastly, the Game Informer show itself is great too.

AldabraRail

Banned
Sep 25, 2019
been a giant bombcast/giant beastcast fan for years, and I like waypoint radio a lot, along with bad end. for less general "what are you playing + news" podcasts, I'd check out game studies study buddies (for deep dives into books about academic game studies) and the newly launched re:bind podcast (which specifically covers smaller games no one else is talking about)

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like podcast request threads come up often enough to have a dedicated thread.

as to podcasts.

my gotos are

beastcast/giantbombcast
waypoints
kokaku splitscreen
gamespot afterdark
game informer show
the spelunky showlike
noclip
spawn on me

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Are these Podcasts edited?
I'm tired of listening to 1 (or 2) hour long conversation in a room that could have been edited into 20 minutes or real content.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say EZ Allies too.

Also, Kotaku Splitscreen is very good. They usually talk news, what they've been playing and some off-topic chat.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Thanks, I just downloaded a few episodes to try it out onto my phone

Btw how shite is the iPhone podcasts app? I hate everything about it. I wish there was a better alternative