• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got myself a 4k HDR TV (though a budget tv) and an Xbox Series X to play blurays though it doesn't seem to have Dolby Vision support for physical discs. What are some good Blurays to get to test out? I already got 1917 since I heard that was good but haven't opened it yet. I was also eyeing Into the Spider-verse but not sure how good that is.

Also, how different (or how much better) is it to streaming a Dolby Vision 4k stream like on Netflix or Disney+? I know there's some nitrate differences but I watched Tenet the other day and it was pretty good from what I've seen.

I also don't have a sound system so maybe the Dolby Atmos sound mix for films won't make much of a difference.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Gemini Man. 60fps at 4K resolution. Arguably the best looking UHD Blu-Ray that will ever be released.

Edit: I'm also a fan of the movie. I like goofy fun action movies. But this will be the demo disc you use to show off 4K movies, either the sunset fishing scene in the Buttermilk Sound in Georgia, or any of the scenes shot in the tropical color filled country of Colombia.

Last edited:

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to be in that situation too (new TV, upgrading from 10-yr-old 1080p plasma to 4k HDR OLED) so while I can't give recommendations based on personal experience, the grip of UHDs I put an order down for recently are:
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Bumblebee
  • Spider-Verse
  • Matrix Trilogy
  • Fifth Element
  • Planet Earth II
  • Blue Planet II
Either brand new movies, or movies with (supposedly) really good transfers/remasters from film, so should be alright.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I watched both Mad Max: Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 on UHD Bluray via my PS5 and both looked utterly incredible. Fury Road's vibrant cinematography and colour grading look outstanding in HDR, and the granule detail of scenes is elevated by 4K. 2049's bright neon lights and luminous hues with strong gradients on dark backdrops is really outstanding. Highly recommend both.

I've also got the Lord of the Rings Trilogy laying around. Need to give that a watch.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
New post since I think it's just as important. Here's my secret weapon: UHD reviews from High-Def Digest.

They've been my go-to peeps for disc reviews since blu-rays won the HD wars. They go in depth with video and audio reviews, and what's nice with UHD reviews is they're comparing video/audio quality to blu-ray releases and calling out if it's not worth upgrading to the UHD disc.

If you want the quick answer, sort by highest rated video scores and browse what they have to say about the video quality in their reviews.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
New post since I think it's just as important. Here's my secret weapon: UHD reviews from High-Def Digest.

They've been my go-to peeps for disc reviews since blu-rays won the HD wars. They go in depth with video and audio reviews, and what's nice with UHD reviews is they're comparing video/audio quality to blu-ray releases and calling out if it's not worth upgrading to the UHD disc.

If you want the quick answer, sort by highest rated video scores and browse what they have to say about the video quality in their reviews.

This right here. I've been using their website for years.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Some of my favorites:

The Shining
Spider-Verse ( although the leap from BR to UBR wasn't really noticable)
The Dark Knight ( those IMAX shots )
Interstellar
2001: A space odysessey
Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet
Blade Runner 2049
Jaws

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II

Both Blade Runners

Lord of the Rings

I was also really impressed by Gladiator when I watched it recently.

Spider-Verse looks really good too, yes, though no wildly better than HD. Nice colours at least.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue One and The Last Jedi are the best looking Star Wars UHDs currently out there

Pacific Rim and Alien are also great reference-quality picks

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Someone already said Blade Runner2049 so I will add Interstellar. Nolan movies look pretty spectacular, I am guessing in part due to his love of IMAX cameras.

OP in my experience visually there is not a huge drop from iTunes to a UHD visually. You can tell the difference if you are looking for it and its a little more noticeable from Netflix or streaming services but in general most of this stuff looks really good. In my experience if you have speakers the sound seems much more powerful off the disc. My friend tells me I am dead wrong on this but if I am then my ears are lying to me.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Make sure to check out Target right now if you're in the US, they've got a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale going for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-rays.

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I just bought a 4k BR player myself and have been doing a couple of searches to see what would be great showcases.

Back when Vudu was owned by Wal-mart and did disc+digital purchases (RIP), I would go for the UHD/4k disc option so I've had a few for a few years. Godzilla King of the Monsters no longer looks like smeared shit (and makes it a little more tolerable to watch, but the film is still not great). Spider-verse, as mentioned above, looked great but I didn't see much of a difference from the Netflix 4k stream or BR. The film looks that good. Actually, the HDR did seem to make certain scenes pop more now that I think about it.

Revenant was the first 4k disc I had purchased back when it released. I can't wait to dive into that. I bought the player for the upcoming Godzilla 2014 4k release. Talk of Fury Road has me wanting that as well.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a UHD player and bunch of UHD discs recently

Blade Runner 2049 (Movie looks incredible obviously but the HDR implementation was barely noticeable)
Dunkirk
Dynasties
Mad Max: Fury Road (Flame effects didn't look great in HDR)
Matrix
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Planet Earth 2
Seven World, One Planet
Skyfall

From the list above, Seven Worlds, One Planet and Dunkirk were the most impressive. Matrix and Once Upon a Time in Holywood are worth checking out as well but they'd be a tier below.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
The image quality and cinematography of Blade Runner 2049 are great but it's not really the UHD showcase people make it out to be. The HDR as it relates to specular highlights is minimal.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to check out Target right now if you're in the US, they've got a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale going for Blu-ray and UHD Blu-rays.
I'm sure they are charging full price for the discs though which will kind of take a way from the deal. I prefer buying during black friday for $10 or less a pop.

Jul 18, 2018
I'm sure they are charging full price for the discs though which will kind of take a way from the deal. I prefer buying during black friday for $10 or less a pop.
They also price match, if you order online you call up the guest services and they will match it.
BUT
The tactic is, you use this b2g1 free promo, then after purchasing it, you cancel one of your items. Essentially get 33% off those two. The board game community abuses this offer every time this promo comes

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They also price match, if you order online you call up the guest services and they will match it.
BUT
The tactic is, you use this b2g1 free promo, then after purchasing it, you cancel one of your items. Essentially get 33% off those two. The board game community abuses this offer every time this promo comes
Funny enough, I was actually looking at board games and they're already relatively price for the hours of entertainment they can provide over several years. How many board games are people buying? Lol...

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
I know UHD blu rays have way better quality over streaming BUT wouldn't 4K downloads be the same quality or are theblu rays still better?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I know UHD blu rays have way better quality over streaming BUT wouldn't 4K downloads be the same quality or are theblu rays still better?

Depends on the download source I guess, but the BluRay would generally still have a much higher bitrate. If you do an exact rip of a UHD BluRay to a file, it's often in the ballpark of 70–80 GB. So unless your download is approaching that size, it's probably at a significantly lower bitrate.

I'm not aware of any (legal) source that offers downloads at that quality level, but I haven't looked into it recently.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
www.resetera.com

Must-own 4K UHD Blu Rays

I am getting back into buying 4K blu rays. Recently, I’ve bought: Joker 1917 Jaws Saving Private Ryan John Wick Logan Dunkirk Mad Max Fury Road Add to this my existing collection: Close Encounters of the Third Kind Schindler’s List Apocalypse Now Phantom Thread Blade Runner 2049 Into The...

www.resetera.com

What are the best 4K Blu Rays?

Just looking to get one or two to test out my system, what are the best ones you've tried?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Revenant
Matrix 1
Ghost in the Shell
Into the Spiderverse
Mad Max Fury Road

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My imported copy hasn't arrived yet, but apparently the US$45, very limited Midsommar Director's Cut UHD disc from the a24 Shop looks absolutely marvellous.

Midsommar Director's Cut Collector's Edition - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Ultra HD Review | High Def Digest

'The latest news on all things 4k Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Gear'

5 Stars.

Midsommar comes with a brand new 2160p 4K UHD transfer in a 2.00:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Vision. The result is an absolutely stunning video presentation that is demo-worthy on all accounts. This is by far the best this film has ever looked thus far. The movie was shot in native resolutions of 8K and finished in 4K.

The 1080p HD version truly knocked the video presentation out of the park, but this 4K UHD release knocks it out of the sky with amazing upgrades in the fantastic color palette and detail throughout the whole film. The colors are simply phenomenal and beautiful on every level. The first 25 minutes of the film are mostly set in darker interiors, inside an apartment, a dark pub or party, and of course Dani's parent's house during the horrific tragedy. There's a cold spectrum of colors being used here that range from grays to blues and solvers that coincide with the frigid winter time frame. The Dolby Vision gives that excellent uptick in the nuanced colder and darker sequences with excellent shadow detail in the lower lit scenes. There's even a sequence steeped in red that looks amazing too where it never loses detail.

Once in Sweden at the Midsommar Festival, the color palette takes a 180-degree turn from a wintry cool mix to a bright sunny spectrum set during the height of summer. The hills are alive with varying shades of green grass, beautiful flowers of all colors, brown log houses, and bright yellow fixtures everywhere that contrasts nicely with the crystal blue sky above. During the may queen sequence, there are a ton of flowers on the girl's heads and in the background, all of which pop with extreme vibrancy. There are some excellent red colors in the blood and guts that are shown throughout the film, along with the climax of fire that burns bright orange and yellow. It's simply perfect.

The detail is sharper and more vivid as well, revealing some amazing close-ups that showcase individual beard hairs, textures in the quilts and dresses that were handmade, and more. The practical makeup effects look good as well, especially when body organs and blood seem to spill out of both animals and humans alike. Individual grass blades, leaves in the trees, and imperfections in the wooden houses look exquisite too. Wider shots look fantastic as well and never go soft. There are a few sequences that resemble a drug-effect where the image gets hazy, wavy, and has a rainbow glow to it, all of which is enhanced by the Dolby Vision here. The black levels are extremely deep and inky and the skin tones are always natural. There are zero issues with any video problems too. This is a demo-worthy 4K presentation and one of the best-looking discs around.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018

Got some pretty decent deals for myself. For about $40 total I got Do The Right Thing, Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop on 4K.

Jul 18, 2018
Funny enough, I was actually looking at board games and they're already relatively price for the hours of entertainment they can provide over several years. How many board games are people buying? Lol...
You can never have enough! The great thing though is if you buy quality games, you can easily sell the game for same price you bought it for or over msrp. The market for that sector is pretty good

But i looked over this promo for UHD and like you said, it's better to wait for the $10 deals they always have around. Promo will not give you that much of a discount when places like Amazon just inflated a bunch of their Discs the past week

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
LOTR is the sold reason I bought a 4K player and it was absolutely worth it. Really, anything shot on 35mm with a decent transfer should look great.