• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
2020 has been, putting it mildly, a complete and utter shitshow. That's not a new or revelatory thought. I've found myself so often thinking of all the garage that has happened this year I sometimes forget that there are little nuggets of good in there too.

This isn't meant to be a humble brag thread of something, but merely a way of forgetting about all the shit we've all been through and reflecting on some of the positives as we close the year out.

For me, I have a son who turns 2 in a couple of months and I've been able to work from home since March, which means I've been able to watch him grow and learn and experience so many things. It's been hard working and taking care of him at the same time, but seeing who he is now compared to the beginning of the year is pretty amazing. My dad is also 4 months drug free for the first time since I was a small child and he's slowly trying to make amends with the family and get to know his grandson and it really feels like it'll stick this time. Fingers crossed anyway.

What are the brightspots in your 2020 Era?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Graduated and got my bachelor degree in computer science.

Shit feels like a lifetime ago (february).

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I went on a lot more dates than usual and am now in the early stages of a relationship.

I saved a lot of money during lockdown which allowed me to move out of my mum's two months ago into a nice house share.

I lost a little weight.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Working from home and a shiton of video games have been completed which may or may not have been due to working from home lol

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Got a girlfriend! Met her Christmas 2019 and we've gotten really close. If we survive this we can get through anything šŸ˜‰

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I finally started taking anti-depressants. It's fucking awesome and I recommend it if you're considering.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
131579664_10164733594170596_2788782124024691794_o.jpg

This guy.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a house and had an amazing career year. Everything else is not so great but I feel next year has potentially to be really amazing once me and most of the people I love are vaccinated haha.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
WFH has been a game changer for me. I plan to never go back to daily office life. The time saved from commuting is wonderful.

The work flexibility has also freed up time for me to do a lot more charity/social work which was sorely missing from my life.

I've also started skateboarding again which is a great excuse to travel to skate parks and get exercise.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The number 1 thing is that I got a MUCH better job. It's probably misleading to call any job in my industry "toxic" given that it has higher standards than a lot of other industries in America, but I don't know how else to describe my last job. My bosses were emotionally manipulative liars who ran a business model that involved grossly underpaying recent college graduates and having them do work that would typically be meant for multiple people and telling them to figure out how to do parts of the work as they went along. My salary has nearly doubled from what it was at the start of this year and I don't have to deal with that anymore. My current job still isn't perfect, I usually have to put in extra hours and the hours that I do work are kind of weird since everyone I work with lives in Asia, but it's just....a lot better, and I feel financially secure.

My best friends moved into a new house a few blocks away from mine. I've broken quarantine to see them a handful of times (both I and them are completely quarantined otherwise) and it's nice to have them really close. Once this all ends I'll probably go over to their house a lot.

I've made a level of progress on my gaming backlog that I'm happy with. Probably a silly thing to see as good but I'm glad that I can finally say I've finished games like Color Splash, Yakuza 5, the PSP Burnouts, and Sunset Overdrive to name a few that were just sitting there unplayed for years.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
  1. It was 12/1/19, but counting it for 2020 -- started a talent agency that works exclusively with women in gaming that has been a massive success.
  2. Had the opportunity to work on (and lead strategy in some cases) great non-endemic brand campaigns in gaming for Doritos, Samsung, and State Farm.
  3. Paid off a good portion of my remaining debt, creating a positive impact on my credit score (lifetime high).
  4. Helped keep my daughter's education on track despite the difficulties presented by virtual learning

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abby got me working out. Been lifting 22 weeks straight since I beat that game.

Other than physique everything else has been a dumpster fire.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Finally got back into getting fit

It was the best year for me financially as I was able to save a bunch throughout, and now I'm financially stable for the first time. Also don't owe my parents anymore money finally

Also ended up discovering much more music this year than years past.

Weekly anime nights turned Discord streams with my friends have also been great.

Other than that though, everything else was shit. This was the somehow the most and least memorable year for me ever.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I got a new job in January and they started having us work from home in March so that was good.

And I finally married my boyfriend (now husband) of 10 years. We didn't have a ceremony but it still felt good to finally tie the knot.

I also got my credit card debt down this year, from $12,000 to $3,000. It's not at zero yet but it's really close and I should be there in a few months.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to get healthier by getting more active. Started by walking daily and now I'm hiking and mountain biking. Lost a good amount of weight and getting outdoors really helped with my mental health.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I got a new job in July that resulted in a 25% bump in pay a week after my wife lost her job that saved us from being totally screwed during this nightmare of a year.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Public Service Loan Forgiveness came through and forgave all of my student loans--well over $50,000. A bright spot in this disaster of a year.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Spent more time doing music production and learning how to mix and engineer my music better...not going out and partying let me pull out an Aerobics inspired VGM album in like 9 months and already got inspired to start a whole new project and style. I probably wouldn't have done it unless the pandemic hit.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I got a cheapo e-bicycle with a ~100Km range and an infinite calorie-powered fallback. Completely changed my outlook on city travel.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I've been able to work from home since March, although that might end sometime in 2021, but if so I plan to start looking for a new job because it is life-changing. My wife did get a new job after years of being mistreated at her old job, and the new one also allows her to WFH three days a week. We were also able to refinance our home and the savings are allowing us to finally replace furniture that desperately needs to be replaced.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Our neighbor gave us their cat after she gave birth on our bed. They all live close by so we get constant updates. It happened in April just as lockdowns started taking effect. They were our lil pandemic pals.

I paid off my student loans.

I honestly love having an excuse to avoid gatherings. I'm going to miss it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
- Wife and i are healthy
- Thanks to no travel and wfh i have more free time
- I got a significant raise in June and will get another in january on top of increasing sales provisions by moving up a role
- I got a new car
- Most of my family is doing relatively well during the pandemic
- We finally have enough money to get a house and started looking for it

Xeonidus

ā€œFuck them kids.ā€
Oct 28, 2017
Became the department head of the Humanities Department at the school I teach at. I wasn't really considering it but I was encouraged by my predecessor to go for it and the administration felt it was a good fit.

Got a PS5 st launch :D

Our second child, a girl, was born in the summer.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Made the decision to move back home for a while and start a new chapter in my life, hopefully it will turn out well.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
After being made redundant twice in the worst economy of my lifetime I realised there's more to life than money. I have so much more appreciation for the art that I make and the people in my life.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Got a switch
Got a new PC
Got my cat a bed that she loves
Got a nice winter jacket.
Got an Ipad
Got a shit ton of games

List goes on...

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
Uh... um... well... er... ah...

Oh geez...

I became more confident in my political beliefs and learned a lot more about theory and history. That's about it.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Started a new job in the spring that is significantly less stressful than my previous one and bought a house in the summer

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Got to spend so much time with my daughter. Celebrated her first birthday virtually right when shit hit the fan. Might be doing the same for her second.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I got promoted to a new job that'll pay me almost mid-80s as of next year, along with finally leaving a city I didn't enjoy living in. The new location is significantly better even during Covid times.

I finally got into skiing again after a decade long hiatus. Discovered I truly enjoyed it and I'm growing fonder of the cold.

I went to Mexico right before the shutdowns happened for my 30th. That was an amazing experience and would love to visit again.

I was scuba certified earlier this year so once I'm vaccinated I look forward to utilizing that hobby.

I also had a chance to do a long camping road trip across the northwest and see Yellowstone and Grans Teton. Loved that experience.

2020 was the pits for a lot of reasons, but I'm fortunate I had a lot of upsides in a gloomy year.