• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Not really anything specific, but eSports nicknames in general:

"We want to be respected as a legitimate sport."

- SHOOTBLAZE, leader of the ULT-FLASH CREW

"I honestly don't know why we aren't seen as something more serious,"

- CLICKZ, head-coach of TEAM MONSTER MUNCH

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I'm actually kinda shocked anyone would think GOAT is a gamer word. I barely even see people say the word GOAT on here or in general with regards to games. GOTY sure but not GOAT.

Meanwhile every single day on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc a talking head will bring up how some random game affects such and such person's running in the GOAT debate. Shanon Sharp has on multiple times worn a goat mask on tv after Lebron James had a big game. Sports Twitter and social media in general is plagued with the term, especially after the Jordan doc dropped.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I first heard of GOAT when I saw this album in 2000.

s-l640.jpg

But GOAT originated in 1992
ftw.usatoday.com

Just when did we all start using GOAT anyway?

A look at where the term might have originated from.

The earliest example we could find for "G.O.A.T." used to mean "greatest of all time" is from September 1992, when Lonnie Ali, Muhammad Ali's wife, incorporated Greatest of All Time, Inc. (G.O.A.T. Inc.) to consolidate and license her husband's intellectual properties for commercial purposes.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"DP on wakeup" refers to performing an uppercut-type move after being knocked down in a fighting game

and not, you know, getting some morning sausage stuffing

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
"DP on wakeup" refers to performing an uppercut-type move after being knocked down in a fighting game

and not, you know, getting some morning sausage stuffing

Fighting games are a treasure trove for these kinds of threads

You play foosties until you score a knockdown and can run your oki setplay

It sounds like complete gibberish

delete

Jul 4, 2019
soulsborne, it's a word that is already past it's age. Souls-like is much more suitable.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
So I sort of just assumed for a couple decades that "double jump" meant "like in Mario where consecutive jumping can sometimes give you a bit of a boost". But then I discovered that it means when you hop in mid-air, which felt all kinds of dumb to me. Why isn't it just called an "air jump" or something more descriptively helpful like that?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
"Inting"

I don't even know if most casual gamers outside of mobas know what it actually means.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So I sort of just assumed for a couple decades that "double jump" meant "like in Mario where consecutive jumping can sometimes give you a bit of a boost". But then I discovered that it means when you hop in mid-air, which felt all kinds of dumb to me. Why isn't it just called an "air jump" or something more descriptively helpful like that?

Devil May Cry series calls it Air Hike. There are probably other games with alternate names for double jump.

devilmaycry.fandom.com

Air Hike

The Air Hike is a double-jump technique which appears in each game of the Devil May Cry series. In most appearances of the technique, the user concentrates magical energy/demonic power into the area beneath their feet, creating a temporary platform they can jump off of. The visual effect of the...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Even then, Metroid-like is a simpler term. Every vania SotN and after is a Metroid-like with action-RPG elements.

It's because the term Metroidvania was originally a term used to describe the Metroid-like Castlevania games as opposed to the classic linear Castlevania games.

Somehow the term escaped the Castlevania community without the redundant "-vania" being removed.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This happens all the time with words in general, at least in the English language. Sometimes you'll think of or say a word that, for some reason, suddenly sounds weird or unintentionally funny. Usually it's a common word that you normally just take for granted and don't give much thought, but upon closer examination it suddenly seems kind of silly or strange.

I think gaming terminology is actually rife with things like this, and this thread will serve as a hub for such discussion.

I'll start things off...

"Joystick"

81AWVcyYK4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We say this all the time, especially when referring to arcade sticks in particular. There was even a time at the early onset of analog sticks on console controllers where many referred to those as "joysticks" too. But take a step back and listen to what you're saying. Joy-stick. Da hell kind of name is that?

I know it stems from a simpler time when videogames and arcades were a new form of amusement being marketed to children, which is why it's strikes me as kind of funny that we all still casually use this term as middle-aged adults all these years later.

It's a stick... that brings you joy!
Check that guy out. He sure is adept at handling that joystick!

I was all "yeah ok" and then by the end of reading this post joystick legitimately started sounding funny to me and I cracked up. Thanks op!

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
One word slowly becoming a norm is "soulslike", to describe a hard as fuck game but not necessarily related to the gameplay or the genre of any of the souls games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
"Boss"

It's funny that the thing you fight at the end of levels or games is coined after someone we associate with as our direct manager at work. LOL Outside of our industry/hobby, it just sounds ridiculous, even though I don't think twice about it in the context of games. Don't even know when it was first used, but I feel like I noticed it originally in an early issue of EGM circa 1989 or so.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
"Boss"

It's funny that the thing you fight at the end of levels or games is coined after someone we associate with as our direct manager at work. LOL Outside of our industry/hobby, it just sounds ridiculous, even though I don't think twice about it in the context of games. Don't even know when it was first used, but I feel like I noticed it originally in an early issue of EGM circa 1989 or so.
Hm. Good one.

That definitely does sound like terminology born from early gaming mags. Now I'm curious to know its actual origins.

Oct 29, 2017
"Mana"

Or anytime a game pulls lore out of some particular mythology and then that term becomes widely used to refer to supernatural elements in gaming rather than the original meaning.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I remember once being asked what my favourite type of game was around a decade ago, they were probably expecting a concept they could understand as an answer like SHOOTER or RACER
And then I come out with platformer to a look of complete confusion, possibly horror, it made more sense when I then followed up with "like Super Mario"
That's why we use the term "Jump & Run" for those games in Germany.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The Character Action genre name.

It makes absolutely no sense and doesn't really describe the kind of games that fall under it (DMC, Bayonetta etc.).
I still don't really know what games are and aren't part of this category. I recently replied in another thread about Yakuza 0 and No More Heroes, and I feel like those qualify since they're games where I'm, uhh, controlling a character... and there's action. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yes. This is a great example.

I use this term when I need to refer to games of that type, but only because that's what we've settled on for some odd reason. Did it originate from a Japanese developer? It smacks of some kind of overly literal translation from Japanese into English.

Kamiya coined the term Sylish Action for DMC and that's what I sort of gravitate to since it's the godfather of that "subgenre" of games.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"Boss"

think of it as how the goons in a gang might refer to their leader as "the boss" and it'll make more sense

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Always thought the term "level" (as in, an area or section of a game) was a weird one, especially when used for a game that's not a linear platformer or something. The term doesn't really make a huge amount of sense when referring to different sections of the game's world, physically connected to each other, that the player can just walk in and out of at any time - as tends to be the case nowadays.

I guess people are starting to use the term "zone" instead, but I'm not sure what's wrong with just using the term "area" instead since... that's what it is.

Also the term "campaign". Fine for a military shooter with separate single player and multiplayer game modes, but does it really make sense for a more narratively driven game like God of War or something like Ori that doesn't have any resemblance to the concept of a military campaign at all?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Roguelike. It's just so weird to me that another name hasn't caught on 30 years later. It's like if we kept calling MOBAs DoTA clones forever.

Because Roguelike is a set of design conventions, not a Genre.

There are countless Roguelike that have gameplay that are completely alien next to other Roguelikes, with the only thing tying then together being the Permadeath/Run-based structure of them.

"Roguelike" is more of a prefix to a game's genre than one itself. And the term hasn't been supplanted because ultimately Rogue is still the defining game of the term. "Doom Clones" and "Dota Clones" found names of their own because other developers were able to find their own twists on the formula their predecessors had laid out - Ultimately you follow the rules set by Rogue, or it's not a Roguelike.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
CPU vs. NPC vs. AI vs. Bots
Toons vs. Characters vs. Avatars
Levels vs. Maps vs. Boards

There's so many terms that describe the same thing in general. I've noticed this is one of the most confusing things for new people entering the medium for the first time. Having a bunch of different terms mean essentially the same thing is logical to someone who's played games their entire lives and has context for the history and evolution of terminology, but it's confusing as hell for a newcomer.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The word "hair" in "crosshair". What does it mean?
It means hair in the literal sense of the word hair. Old telescopes (and, much later, telescopic sights for rifles) would have a reticule made of fine hair or hair-like fibres such as silk. These helped significantly with sighting, since with some types of lens, the eye can focus on both the crossed hairs and distant objects, allowing for markers to aid measurements.

The principle was discovered almost totally by accident when a spider wove a cobweb within an astronomical telescope, leading to a short series of astronomical observations that were far more precise than anything else until the inventor was killed in the English civil war and the principle lost (it was later independently rediscovered).