• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This one I see brought up a lot in relation to Xenoblade Chronicles baffles me all the time- "It annoys me so much that I was winning the in-game battle but was wiped out during the cutscene!"

This has never bothered me and I don't know why it annoys so many people.

Like, why? I don't understand what you're looking for. So I would assume it bothers you too that your party and a boss in a more traditional turn-based JRPG politely take turns attacking each other, right?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a recent upswing in people saying that Paper Mario Color Splash is a good game, and I just don't get it. The presentation is good, and the moment-to-moment writing is vastly superior to Sticker Star (though the overall story is still a bore. Being the 4th Mario RPG in 5 years to just have a fairly standard Bowser as the main antagonist was not doing it any favors), but that's pretty much all it has going for it. Despite Intelligent Systems' apparent attempts to fix the formula, the game ultimately has the same issues with the core mechanics being at odds with each other leading to a game that's just tedious to play.

This is especially perplexing because they somehow managed to make the battle system even worse in Color Splash than it was in Sticker Star. Color Splash managed to thwart any potential the battle system otherwise would have had of being strategic by hiding all of the numbers related to enemy HP. You're not told how powerful your attacks are or how much HP enemies have, you just have to sort of eyeball it from how much paint drains from the enemy when you hit them. For a battle system that forces you to try to plan ahead due to how rigid the enemy targeting is, it sure doesn't want to give you anything resembling help with trying to do that.

Expanding the Kamek curses from a couple scripted events in Sticker Star to just a random thing that could happen during battles in Color Splash was also particularly egregious. They were already a pain in Sticker Star, but the fact that it only happens twice in very specific spots makes it manageable. In Color Splash it's just a constant thing you have to deal with after a certain point where the game can just randomly decide to screw you over. And to make matters worse, it disables the flee button for some reason, so you can't escape the battles where it happens. To make matters worse, while this never happened to me personally, the mechanic is so poorly implemented that it's possible for Kamek to put you in a position where none of your cards can effect the enemy you're fighting, forcing you to waste all your cards (assuming you can survive long enough to do so).

It's just a really poorly designed game, and I don't get how some people seem to be able to ignore its many issues and enjoy it.

Oct 28, 2017
I always grind my teeth when people talk about a game wasting their time, or it lacks respect for their time. It's a game, it's literally a time waster.

Oct 27, 2017
When people insist in 'Sonic games are all about running fast'
When people kept playing Kingdom Hearts games after the first one.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I don't understand when others don't understand why some people like certain games. Is it really that hard to wrap your head around that or are you ignorant by default? I don't like fighting games at all but I can easily see why they're a) good games and b) why they're beloved. Same with individual games.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Why In Water is held as the "best" and "sort of canon" ending of Silent Hill 2. Leave is superior in every way, narratively and thematically.
Yes, yes, yes. James being able to move on with his life is thematically integral to the entire point of the story.

The fact that it's also the easiest ending to achieve should also clue people into the fact that it's more likely to be canon.
James killing himself means you, as the player, went out of your way to make his goal in Silent Hill to be ending his life, rather than allowing him to accept his involvement in Maria's death and moving on. You have to deliberately go out of your way to get the "In Water" ending; it's not going to happen organically.

The entire reason he's in the town in the first place is because he can't move on, and him killing himself doesn't add any value to his character arc; it's just dramatic and sad.
Silent Hill 2 doesn't have to be an extremely depressing affair to be "good". The town exists to show people how they wronged themselves and others. It's a twisted "help you by breaking you" kind of ordeal.

Oct 28, 2017
I take it you never skinned an animal in RDR2.
Of course I did. I also skinned animals in WoW, punched trees in Minecraft, and went mining in Skyrim. If I got bored of it, I'd move on and do something else. I wouldn't get indignant at the seconds of my life that had slipped out of my fingers.

If I was that worried about how my time was spent, I'd take up woodworking, drawing, or learn an instrument. Anything else but play a video game.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Defending Nintendo online and giving their multiplayer games a free pass for having shoddy online.

Smash Bros just about gets away with this just for the amount of the quality content it has otherwise but id like to see reviews more vocal about this issue in future games if it happens.

Oct 28, 2017
"Water levels are bad"

No they aren't! They are often a great change of pace and scenery for a game. Sonic games use water levels to fantastic effect and so does Mario to a lesser extent.

Jan 10, 2018
Battle Royale games. I've tried Fortnite, PUBG, and the Call of Duty one and I just don't see the appeal.

Not hard to understand what is so appealing with the concept tbh.

1. High risk/ high reward
2. High skill ceiling
3. Ultimate glory of being the only winner
4. Freedom in traversal over a huge map
5. Large variation of combat scenarios.
6. Personalization through skins, dances etc.
7. Play with friends

Oct 27, 2017
Not hard to understand what is so appealing with the concept tbh.

1. High risk/ high reward
2. High skill ceiling
3. Ultimate glory of being the only winner
4. Freedom in traversal over a huge map
5. Large variation of combat scenarios.
6. Personalization through skins, dances etc.
7. Play with friends

Cool, you can like it and see what you want in the game. I find them incredibly dull. Other types of games do many of the things you listed as well and are actually fun.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
The entire thing about Fallout 4 being an "action game" and not an RPG somehow unlike Fallout 3. I mean, "RPG" has a very shaky definition, so not thinking that all modern Fallout games are not RPGs would be fine. I wouldn't agree with that, but I'd at least understand it.

But saying that Fallout 3 is an RPG and Fallout 4 isn't? That just sounds completely irrational — the two games are basically the same.

"Water levels are bad"

No they aren't! They are often a great change of pace and scenery for a game. Sonic games use water levels to fantastic effect and so does Mario to a lesser extent.

I agree with that, but the contrast between ground and water controls often feels like too much, especially in 2D platformers. For example, 2D Mario and DKC underwater levels just make me feel super clumsy. The characters have a lot more inertia and the movement is pretty sluggish in general. So while I appreciate the contrast, I typically want to get back to being an acrobatic god of 2D platforming ASAP.

As for Sonic, I'll probably have nightmares about that timer until the day I die. Too stressful!

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I remembered another one. People wanting bigger and bigger open worlds and then spamming fast travel everywhere going from town to town. Sigh.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yes, yes, yes. James being able to move on with his life is thematically integral to the entire point of the story.

The fact that it's also the easiest ending to achieve should also clue people into the fact that it's more likely to be canon.
James killing himself means you, as the player, went out of your way to make his goal in Silent Hill to be ending his life, rather than allowing him to accept his involvement in Maria's death and moving on. You have to deliberately go out of your way to get the "In Water" ending; it's not going to happen organically.

The entire reason he's in the town in the first place is because he can't move on, and him killing himself doesn't add any value to his character arc; it's just dramatic and sad.
Silent Hill 2 doesn't have to be an extremely depressing affair to be "good". The town exists to show people how they wronged themselves and others. It's a twisted "help you by breaking you" kind of ordeal.
The reason why Silent Hill 2 is the best told story in a video game is because so much of it is left to interpretation. James' involvement in Maria's death and the range to which he feels guilty isn't explicitly stated and is up to the player to decide. You can sympathise with James and want a happy ending for him or think he deserves the punishment he's getting and want a sad ending for him and there's nothing wrong with either of those sentiments. I also think the common opinion that the In Water ending is the canon ending is stupid but so is calling any ending canon because it goes against the strongest aspect of the narrative.

Also, you can get the In Water ending organically. The first time I played through the game I kept my healing items until I was sure I needed them so I never healed to full health which is a major criteria to get it. I also obsessively examined my items and made sure I found every note so I checked all the boxes including examining the knife and reading the suicide note.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI, the hardest part of any Souls game is the first 3-4 hours of the first one you play, because it's still teaching you how to play them. I beat Gundyr on my first try, and I don't mean that as a brag, just an example since I already paid the toll on the Taurus Demon and Gargoyles in Dark Souls 1. There's a huge hump to get over as you learn how to juggle timing and stamina and healing in those games, but that difficulty is in no way representative of the rest of the series.

It's entirely fair to say "I don't have 3-4 hours to learn how a new sub-genre works," but just don't extrapolate that initial experience as what people like about the games.

That's fair. Thanks for the explanation. I have Bloodborne from a past PS+ download. Perhaps I need to give the series another try.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm really tired of thematically ambitious and interesting mechanics being shit on because players don't get why they are there or how they influence ludonarrative. It's a huge part of design that people overlook or dismiss and it drives me mad.

'The timer in Majora's Mask ruins that game, I just want to explore!' is a big one. The game is built to be able to be explored with the timer, dummies. You can always reset and explore more. Nothing will lock you out of anything. That's the point.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That someone could sit there and think "Yes, actually, I DO want more pixel art platformers."

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
People who want Persona to move away from the calendar system and have an adult cast, I think are completely missing the point of Persona.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That someone could sit there and think "Yes, actually, I DO want more pixel art platformers."
I don't want more ugly amateur pixel blob games and/or ones that rip off Metroid for the millionth time but I'm not going to complain about high quality pixel art platformers in underused styles like having a modern take on Bonk's Adventure, Alisia Dragoon, or ActRaiser.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'd like to also mention Skyrim. Cool if you dig it, I don't understand it.

It's buggy, janky, and the characters are stiff and unnatural. On top of that the voice acting is atrocious. Everyone can do what I like to call a Lord of the Rings voice, but it takes a brave person to decide not to.

I bought it on Switch cause I thought I should play it since so many people like it, but it's not for me. Once again, if you're into it—that's great! More power to you.

Nov 8, 2017
Preferring to play games on a tiny screen with stereo sound and inferior controls, over a TV with decent sound and proper controls.

I have a Vita, but I literally only use it when I have no other gaming options, and even then I just couldn't get into a lot of games that way like Gravity Rush 2 and Virtue's Last Reward despite loving the PS4 versions of those games.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That's fair. Thanks for the explanation. I have Bloodborne from a past PS+ download. Perhaps I need to give the series another try.
If it appeals to you, definitely go for it. I personally think Bloodborne is the worst of the five at introducing new players to the series since it has the hardest first level. That being said, I've heard other people say the opposite since it's more of an action game so I'd say just pick whichever appeals to you the most and dig in.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every single thing from PS2 gen is intolerable to me now.
Well many of those games had bad gameplay. PS2 era GTA are some of the worst games ever to me for this reason, and I even thought they were bad when they came out.

There were still games that had good gameplay then though. Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, DMC3, etc were great then and are great now.

I guess you could say something like RE4 is outdated, but it's not outdated in a bad way. It's just a different gameplay style that works great if you play within the rules of the game. It's a more slow paced and methodical action game than the Hollywood action style of modern TPS games.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
This won't exactly answer the question that OP posed, but in general, I have noticed that my friends don't exactly value my opinion when it comes to games, for whatever reason. So if I tell someone to play a game that I really like, they tend to be dismissive about it.

So for instance the moment I told my friend that I've been playing RE2, he groans... and I guess it just annoys me. I mean, maybe I'm overreacting, but I think that because the game is associated with me in his mind, he won't even check it out. If I want him to borrow a game, he refuses to take it. I don't know why I'm writing about it, and I don't know if I'm making sense, but yeah, it's annoying. And it's something I "don't understand".

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This won't exactly answer the question that OP posed, but in general, I have noticed that my friends don't exactly value my opinion when it comes to games, for whatever reason. So if I tell someone to play a game that I really like, they tend to be dismissive about it.

So for instance the moment I told my friend that I've been playing RE2, he groans... and I guess it just annoys me. I mean, maybe I'm overreacting, but I think that because the game is associated with me in his mind, he won't even check it out. If I want him to borrow a game, he refuses to take it. I don't know why I'm writing about it, and I don't know if I'm making sense, but yeah, it's annoying. And it's something I "don't understand".

I think this is a pretty common mentality actually, and I've seen this behavior in my own circles and others. I can't say what causes it in your case, but some people just aren't comfortable taking advice in general because they'll feel--or be afraid of being seen as--inferior. Like it's a statement of power status. I can't explain exactly why, but there are lots of different factors. Some people are trying uphold a personality with interests independent and unaffected by other people's opinions or whatever, and some people are afraid of simply being transparent with how and why they do something.

It's weird but there's not much you can do, I think. You could cautiously bring it up and see what they say. :p

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Kingdom Hearts being good . The mixture of Disney trying to be serious and final fantasy is really really awkward to me

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is a pretty common mentality actually, and I've seen this behavior in my own circles and others. I can't say what causes it in your case, but some people just aren't comfortable taking advice in general because they'll feel--or be afraid of being seen as--inferior. Like it's a statement of power status. I can't explain exactly why, but there are lots of different factors. Some people are trying uphold a personality with interests independent and unaffected by other people's opinions or whatever, and some people are afraid of simply being transparent with how and why they do something.

It's weird but there's not much you can do, I think. You could cautiously bring it up and see what they say. :p

That's a very reasonable way of looking at it. I don't think it's worth bringing up cautiously, I should probably just stop wondering about it so much lol

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I am a strong believer that every opinion is valid. Especially if we are talking about video games.

With that said, I will never, NEVER understand or hell, even respect people who think Zero Time Dilemma is better than VLR or 999.

If you do, you either are incredibly butthurt over VLR existing because of dumb reasons or have no idea why the first two games were good (or at least better than the trash that is ZTD).

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I mentioned recently in another thread, what the fuck do some FF fans see in Agni's Philosophy tech demo that makes them want it to be FFXVI so badly?
It just looks like another tired concept that was already so overabundant in the previous gen.

the_memer_21

Feb 9, 2019
"The Wii U had a good library and it was a good system"
"Resident Evil 6 has the best gameplay"
"MGS4 was the perfect ending to the MGS series."
"Majora's Mask is the the best Zelda game"
"Sega needs to make SA3"

I just can't comprehend how anyone comes to any conclusion from above.

I just can't comprehend how you can't understand these.