• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Persona 5 Royal

Pre-ordered it on a whim, incredible game!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly, Bloodborne.

Going into it, I was super cautious with my expectations. I wanted the dark fantasy of Dark Souls back before its release.

Its release kinda pushed me in the direction of just appreciating what developers want to pursue creatively, as Bloodborne ended up being my absolute favorite FromSoft "Souls-like." But going into it, prior to its release, I thought it would be definitely inferior because it was breaking from the dark fantasy aesthetic of Dark Souls... Glad I ended up wrong.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Spiderman is the one that pops up in my mind at the moment. Thought it'd be a boring kiddie game I bought for my three little nephews, but after trying it I was quite hooked on it myself and had to buy a copy of my own too

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Please give NieR Gestalt/Replicant a chance too if you're able to!!!! It's my favorite game of all time with Automata being pretty close behind!! ;w;
Oh, I totally am! I actually own NieR and have been meaning to play it for ages, but I just kept putting it off in hopes of a remaster with Replicant included. Omg, was I sooooo gd stoked when that finally got announced! :D
Now it's just a waiting game... Soon™ 👀

Jan 10, 2018
Return of Obra Dinn. I was not sure if a detective game with an odd art style would be my cup of tea but I ended up being almost obsessed with the game. I even tried to solve things at work when I had some downtime, something that has only happened with The Witness before it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Forza Horizon 4 - I never ever play racing games, but I sunk almost 100 hours into this.

Slay the Spire - card game roguelike sounds like everything I have zero interest in, but alas, this was very addictive.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Doom (2016) - Everything they showed and talked about made it seem like they had a completely superficial and misguided idea of what "Doom" is. Tried the MP beta, absolutely hated it. Previews about the single player campaign focused on glory kills (which brought up bad memories of Brutal Doom), a focus on arena-like fights based around constantly running in loops, and their odd pride about having a weapon wheel for controller players all made it sound mediocre as hell out of context. Then actual footage of the game being played on PC with kb/m released showing how well the combat system actually worked, then the first impressions: talk about sprawling levels filled with secrets, keycards, a dark sense of humor, a plotline about the UAC being Scientologist Enron and Doomguy being this immortal force of nature who didn't give a shit, all of this stuff that id and Bethesda had seemed to hide in favor of showing us SnapMap or multiplayer avatars doing the Carlton dance or whatever. Played it, fell in love with it. I have never had my expectations so thoroughly surpassed by a game.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The Order 1886 - obviously this got trashed and then I bought it on a deep discount years later and still held off playing it for a while, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down and would love a sequel

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition - guess it's technically last gen but I didn't play it until the DE on PS4. I heard praise for it but wasn't sure what to expect but I totally fell in love with it.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It was my first Xenoblade game and didn't really expect to love it given I wasn't a huge fan of the art style and what I saw of the combat system didn't look appealing. I ended up playing 100+ hrs of it in a short amount of time and led to me getting a New 3DS to play the first XBC.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Disco Elysium.

With an asterisk because I didn't think I'd dislike it, but I put off playing it because more often than not CRPGs and adventure games bore me to death.

It might be my favorite game ever.

Yes, yes, yes. To add to that, most games that invoke Planescape Torment or politics usually fall short of either because they usually get caught up in the shadow of the former or wrestle too academically or too on-the-nose with the latter. But this game is so thoughtful and so confident that it's able to become its own thing. Just remarkable.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Technically Destiny counts, since it was early enough in the gen that it was also cross-gen. It got me pretty hard and still does.

Most recent would probably be Horizon ZD. I'm rather loathe to play open world games since I kind of want and need goals to get anything out of a game. Too many distractions start to make it feel like a chore or the game feels too short and meaningless if I ignore too much side stuff, and I don't care as much about exploring when it takes forever to do it. It's one of the reasons I've not been back to play BOTW almost at all. I was excited to play another new Zelda with perfectly normal controls and then... eh.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World. I wasn't 100% sure after the beta/demo cause I didn't find my weapon yet. I was also very worried that I wouldn't enjoy it at all without multiplayer. I was wrong and oof it's probably my most played game this gen.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Hollow Knight and Subnautica. Saw both of these on Twitch and didn't think much of them (perhaps because the streamer was not very good). But having got them for free/cheap, they both turned out to be amazing.

quibbler

Nov 11, 2017
Before Animal Crossing: New Horizons I had no prior experience with the simulation genre but now I'm more open to it.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Oh, I totally am! I actually own NieR and have been meaning to play it for ages, but I just kept putting it off in hopes of a remaster with Replicant included. Omg, was I sooooo gd stoked when that finally got announced! :D
Now it's just a waiting game... Soon™ 👀

Hell yeah!! :D I hope you'll love it just as much as Automata!! It's been 10 years & the game hasn't left my mind for a single day, the dynamics of the whole group are just *chef's kiss*, so fucking precious. I LOVED Papa Nier in Gestalt, but fuck am I excited to finally play it as Bro Nier too... Soon! Desperately need an actual trailer with gameplay because the shots of it & the mobile game that we've seen are GORGEOUS & making me super impatient ;w;

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League.

I mocked my brother for like a year for playing that car ball game, then tried it when we were looking for something split screen to fuck around with while waiting for others. Turns out smashing a ball around a field is really really entertaining.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Super Mario 3D World - I was very underwhelmed by the reveal. I was tired of New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D Land looked dull in an almost similar way (I eventually played this game way after the fact and it's much better than I anticipated), and this looked like a continuation of these types of games to me. The game is wonderful, though.

Tales of Berseria - I had limited expectations for this. Tales of Xillia and Xillia 2 were fine games but not great. I never even bothered playing Tales of Zestiria due to the negative reception I'd been hearing. Tales of Berseria is in contention with best in the series.

Soulcalibur VI - I hadn't played a Soulcalibur game since Soulcalibur II. In general I don't like fighting games. I decided to take a chance on this due to some type of nostalgia of playing Soulcalibur II on the Gamecube I guess, and I'm glad I did. This game is extremely fun and there's a lot of single-player content to play through as someone who isn't too interested in playing fighting games online (doesn't help I don't care to buy PS+ lol). I tried out a few other 3D fighting games after playing this and I think I may just like 3D fighters in general.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia

It's a mobile gacha game, but holy shit, I like it so much! It's basically FF Smash Bros., and almost every character is there--from the obvious Cloud and Lightning to esoteric characters like Dark Knight Cecil to dream party members that we never had like General Leo to even the bad guys like Kefka and Garland. It also adapts the JRPG genre to mobile controls really well and doesn't try to do wonky shit, like using virtual joysticks for movement and shit like that.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Watch Dogs 2. If it wasn't for UPlay + would've never played it but I'm so glad I did. The world feels so alive, the gameplay is fantastic, the soundtrack is amazing (It's one of my favorite licensed soundtracks) & it's overall one of my favorite games of the 2010's.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Both Doom 2016 and MGS5 really grabbed me in a way I didn't expect. Loved them both. And Brothers, A Tale of 2 Sons was surprisingly great

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I didn't expect to like Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair as much as I did. It's a legit top 10 contender for me now

Jun 4, 2019
Days Gone, Mafia 3, Rage 2, Death Stranding. After reading mixed reviews for all four titles, I wasn't expecting much from them but enjoyed my time with each one (flaws and all).

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Dying Light. I'm not a fan of FPS games in general, but i really enjoyed this game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The current Hitman 1 and 2, I seriously love the James Bond type flavor and open endedness to missions.

I used to hate seeing 47 around before this game.

Now I want to add him to the pretty cool dude list.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2. I went in expecting a lackluster open-world experience and ended up falling in love with it. I thought Ubisoft captured the whole California vibe far better than Rockstar ever did. The NPC interactions alone made GTA V feel archaic in comparison. It blew my mind how seamless the multiplayer was too; like not even a loading screen would come up most of the time. The physics and animations can be pretty wonky at times but for me it just added to the charm. Loved the cast of characters so much.

Watch Dogs 2. If it wasn't for UPlay + would've never played it but I'm so glad I did. The world feels so alive, the gameplay is fantastic, the soundtrack is amazing (It's one of my favorite licensed soundtracks) & it's overall one of my favorite games of the 2010's.
Oh shit I almost forgot how good the soundtrack was. I really need to go back and play through it again.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Persona 5 Royal.

I didn't expect to love it so much because I had previously played and beat Persona 5 with a clear time of well over 100 hours. Because of that, Royal wasn't even going to be on my radar until it went on sale, but...then the whole pandemic happened. I needed a big time-sink game, something I knew I'd really like and that I could easily spend another 100+ hours in. Royal started to become the obvious choice, especially after the reviews started rolling in and it scored higher than the original, with most critics taken off-guard at just how much was added.

It took me pretty much all of April, but I finished Royal as well, and man, it really is so much better. The new additions are very good - not just the third semester stuff but everything that was added to bolster the first two. Everything about the new Kichijoji area is fantastic, Mementos no longer sucks, playing darts and cards with your friends is great, the Thieves Den is a fantastic Extras section, Showtime attacks are an absolute riot, the new confidant mechanics (like the follow-up phone call)make it easier to max everyone without resorting to a guide, and the new antagonist is one of the best-written I've come across in some time.

I highly recommend it even if you went through the original game before. It's one amazing journey from start to finish. It really says something that, even after a completion time like this, I still wanted to dive right back in to New Game Plus:

fbNnbAH.jpg

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Celeste.

I didn't know it was a game about depression, I just thought it was a hard ass platformer.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I picked it up during a sale to fill time between games and ended up liking it a lot and putting a lot of hours in. I have the sequel but haven't played much yet, looks a bit too similar.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Bloodborne.

GF gifted it to me when it released (shout out to her). I was heavily into MOBAs at the time, but decided to try it one night.

Got to the first boss, got clapped, thought it was bullshit that I can't block anything, never played it again.

Flash forward 5+ years, decided to give it another go as I was itching for something challenging to play solo after beating Sekiro on PC and I didn't own any of the Dark Souls games.

Started it this week. I've been playing it for a couple hours before bed each night. 4 bosses deep, and I've been having a blast. Can't believe I was so hard headed about the game back then.

Trying to take my sweet time with it since there isn't a sequel, but I do have the entire Dark Souls series to play next.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Death stranding, i got it because i wanted the kojima crazy, i didn't expect the gameplay to do much for me, but it turns out being a post apocalyptic delivery man was surprisingly fun and addictive.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Control
I always enjoyed Remedy`s games, but Quantum Break was dissappointing for me and I feared, they might have lost their spirit. Well, they didn`t. Control is pure Remedy-magic and even more. And it`s one of my favorite games of this gen.

Apex Legends
I knew, I would like it because I have a soft spot for Respawn`s shooter, but Apex ended up being my favorite multiplayer shooter of all time. And every other Battle Royale-game now feels pale compared to this.

Pathologic 2
Made me go What the fuck is happening? every five minutes or so. Not many games have achieved that, lol. A truly unique experience.

Hunt: Showdown
I didn`t think, Crytek were able to develop such a refreshing and intense online experience. It`s extremely atmospheric, grim as fuck and hardcore in the best way.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Guerilla making such an original and epic action-adventure coming from the (linear and kinda generic) Killzone, was a big surprise for me.
The game took me by storm with its` beautiful world, entertaining combat and interesting lore.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley. I have never been a fan of the harvest moon or any other farming games, but this game blew me away and is one of the few games I've ever triple dipped on. Phenomenal, addicting, and such a love letter to retro games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne: Had never played more than a few hours of Souls games combined before this one. I tried back in 2015 for a dozen hours or so and dropped off thinking it wasnt my cup of tea. I decided to go back to in 2018 and ended up loving it to death.
Death Stranding. Such a divided reception, I thought for sure I would hate it. Took a chance when it was thirty bucks. Had a total blast for about 95% of the game. Turns out mailman is my true calling in life.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
These right here. Bloodborne was particularly important because it got me into all of the FromSoft games from Demon's onward. It's now arguably my favorite genre.

Edit: Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, and Slay the Spire also apply to me. Never thought I'd enjoy farming, chores, and roguelikes the way I do now. LOL

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
This thread has me excited for A Plague's Tale. I paid it a little mind prior to launch and just set it for download on Game Pass the other day. Probably gonna start it up tonight.

I agree with:

Celeste - I'm not a fan of pixel-based art styles, but the gameplay was so good. I grew to love the style as well.

Splatoon 2 - I bought it when I picked up my Switch about a year and a half ago with a handful of other first party games. It remained sealed while I played through everything else I wanted to play. I even kept picking up other titles because I knew there wasn't a focus on single player for it. Ironically, while every single game other game was underwhelming, Splatoon's single player content was amazing. I'm thinking of picking up the DLC at some point, but I need to research it more.

Rocket League - I practically never play multiplayer games. I don't like competitive play and the repetition gets boring pretty fast. I platinumed Rocket League.

The Order: 1886 - I was hyped as hell for this one, but when the reviews came out I debated cancelling my preorder. Ultimately I decided to pick it up and I loved it. Still think it's the second best new IP of the generation behind Horizon. Saddened that it will probably never get a sequel.

Doom -- I never grew up on Doom, and I'm not the biggest fan of the FPS genre, but those old school FPS games like it and Wolfenstein are right in my wheelhouse. Reminds me a lot of my all-time favorite, Resistance. Still need to get around to Eternal.

What Remains of Edith Finch - I'm not big on 'walking sims' but I loved Giant Sparrow's previous game, The Unfinished Swan, so I put faith in it. It's a standout of the genre that really defies the genre.

I'll add:

No Man's Sky - Much like the 'walking sim' genre, any exploration game without a concrete goal seems weird to me. I picked this one up well after launch just to try and ended up platinuming it as well. It was a really chill experience.

The Flame in the Flood - Similarly, roguelike games don't appeal to me much, but I tried this one on art style alone. Again, I got addicted and platinumed it. Really loved it and the soundtrack as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cordy

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm seeing a lot of Horizon: Zero Dawn comments here. I thought that it wasn't liked much due to some people's responses. Glad I was wrong.

thechicco96

Apr 17, 2018
Dragon Age: Origins
Borrowed it from a friend… At the time I wasn't really into RPG, however I ended up liking it a looot. A true masterpiece.

P.S. Love you to the moon and back Morrigan

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Life is Strange. It was my first interactive movie type of game and back in 2015 when I was really young I used to frequent dumb internet message boards and subreddits like PCMR where, for some reason, these types of games were really hated. To my surprise it immediately became one of my favorite games of all time and introduced me to this fantastic genre with other great games like TWD which I'd never tried before. I also think the high school setting helped a lot in getting my attention as I think it was either my last or second last year of high school so a lot of the things were pretty relatable for me. It's a great game with a fantastic story that everyone should at least try once.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I sunk more than 200 hours into Warframe despite not being into GaaS at all. Probably would be more if I didn't have so many games to play. Looks even better now then it did when I played it 5 years ago.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Doom. Never really been into the franchise before, don't like the aesthetic really or the metal music. But there was a free demo which I really enjoyed so I took a chance on it, and wow. Absolutely fantastic. One of my favourite games of the generation.

Sonic Mania to some extent as well. Never really got into Sonic before, but Mania is really excellent. I expected to enjoy it, but nowhere near as much as I did.