• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, driving sims helped me out a bunch.

Short of driving around a parking lot, a VR kit with a good wheel/pedals and H-shifter, with a game like Asetto Corsa, Live for Speed or probably most apropriately - City Car Driving

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I..... don't wanna put anybody's life at risk. Maybe I shouldn't do it but I don't wanna give up without trying

Then get a learners/instructional permit first. I'm assuming you're American. Most states if not all offer adult learners permits. This will let you practice in real road conditions, with someone who knows what they're doing rather than you take a risk you may not be prepared for.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As others have said OP, you have to go practice in a real car. Video games are a terrible way to learn to drive and they certainly can't prepare you for an actual driving test. The fact that you want to learn by playing video games rather than real world experience is also pretty worrying.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
A video game that simulates real life driving experiences would be kind of neat, actually. You could have one mission where you have to drive home from the train station late every night for like four months, but the construction crew has drawn new lines on the road without properly erasing the old ones, so you keep having to dodge oncoming traffic on rainy nights because no one can tell which side of the road they're on anymore.

There are games like that.
So many of you just don't seem to be aware of them. This is what happens when a videogame forum skewes towards Sony exclusives ;) Kidding, sorry.

And in VR, they are perfectly suited for what the OP needs - obviously not the night before, and even more importantly - not exclusively (always train in a real car as well).

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
images

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
My Summer Car is probably your best bet.

Bring a drink.

Last edited:

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Wait, in the US you don't have to take actual driving lessons before you can attempt the test? Whose idea was that?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This is a troll thread. Why mention fucking Crazy Taxi of all games. Its the most unrealistic driving game and certainly nothing like real driving. If this isn't a troll thread, OP needs help. I mean, why would your mind go to videogames when thinking about learning to drive. I'm not buying this at all.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so after playing fortnite for a couple of games I feel ready and confident to finally make my first parachute jump! So confident that I wont jump with an instructor for my first jump ever :)

In short, no video games wont teach you how to drive safely and have the reflexes you need to drive irl. Also TIL that some countries allow you to pass a driving test totally unprepared? This is bad honestly

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is a troll thread. Why mention fucking Crazy Taxi of all games. Its the most unrealistic driving game and certainly nothing like real driving. If this isn't a troll thread, OP needs help. I mean, why would your mind go to videogames when thinking about learning to drive. I'm not buying this at all.

You know, I think you're onto something here.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Lemme clarify that I do have a permit. I have read my state's driver manual.

My big issue is that I dont have enough experience actually behind a real car.

In a desperate yet silly attempt, I made this thread to think of games that could help since the test is now... today

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I like this thread. Fun fact: I played a shit load of Forza right before my driving test and passed (after failing the parking test before).

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Honestly, driving sims helped me out a bunch.

Short of driving around a parking lot, a VR kit with a good wheel/pedals and H-shifter, with a game like Asetto Corsa, Live for Speed or probably most apropriately - City Car Driving

I like this thread. Fun fact: I played a shit load of Forza right before my driving test and passed (after failing the parking test before).

Thanks you guys lol

See? Video games CAN help

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I remember fooling around in San Andreas when I got mine roughly 15 years ago in 2005 but really you should be practicing the real damn thing for it and studying up.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 5.

I'm not even kidding that game will teach you how to be an actual taxi driver

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already too late in my reply but how is anything you did in say the last 10 hours before your test going to have any meaningful impact compared to the hours and hours of real world driving experience you've had already!?

Is this a US versus UK thing!?

RogueAgent

Oct 30, 2017
When I was in driving school for my Class A CDL I practiced driving semis in GTA V (no gaming computer for Euro Truck). I wouldn't say it helped me pass my test ultimately but it did reduce my anxiety.

The main thing that helped was actually driving semis both on the road and the school course. I was able to pass on my first attempt.

Edited to add: many of the people taking the test did not pass the first time, it's not a huge deal, if you don't pass, keep practicing and try again

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You probably shouldn't be using video games to help prepare you for driving.

Especially ones like Crazy Taxi, lol.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
Wait, in the US you don't have to take actual driving lessons before you can attempt the test? Whose idea was that?

Only if you are 18 or older, you can skip the driving lessons. You apply for a learners permit which is just passing a written test and then you are able to take your road test right away without waiting. Its what I did because my mom couldn't afford the costs for those lessons. Failed the first time by a single point because I didn't check my mirrors enough. Passed the second time, but MN's road test were a joke back then, all you had to do was a perpendicular park, parallel park, and drive on the highway for a bit and then drive a few blocks in residential as along as you checked your mirrors and didn't get in a crash or get stopped by the police during your test, you were going to pass it.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Only if you are 18 or older, you can skip the driving lessons. You apply for a learners permit which is just passing a written test and then you are able to take your road test right away without waiting. Its what I did because my mom couldn't afford the costs for those lessons. Failed the first time by a single point because I didn't check my mirrors enough. Passed the second time, but MN's road test were a joke back then, all you had to do was a perpendicular park, parallel park, and drive on the highway for a bit and then drive a few blocks in residential as along as you checked your mirrors and didn't get in a crash or get stopped by the police during your test, you were going to pass it.
Michigan's roads are the worst. Not even counting the potholes. The Michigan left will screw you over if you've never driven a car before and just moved states so don't even know what some of the signs even mean. And the first time I was at a busy intersection with no working traffic lights, I was seriously gonna have a panic attack. It worked like a stop sign except two vehicles were able to move at once, I eventually figured it out. I don't think that's even in the DMV.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly none of them. The best they can do is teach you the very basics of steering which, if you are doing your test, I assume you have done.

The actual requirements for a test, at least one in the UK... There are no games I have played that would help with any part of it.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Honestly none of them. The best they can do is teach you the very basics of steering which, if you are doing your test, I assume you have done.

The actual requirements for a test, at least one in the UK... There are no games I have played that would help with any part of it.

You're a vehicle handler designer and you're saying there's no games that can help? Wow. I really am doomed.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You're a vehicle handler designer and you're saying there's no games that can help? Wow. I really am doomed.
Too bad we may never be able to drive the types of vehicules he designs the handling for :(
Though Wipeout could help people who are afraid of speed while driving, after a session your car will seem to move so slowly ^^

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
In my country it's compulsory to get a few weeks of real driving lessons from a driving instructor before taking the driving test. Even after so many lessons I still got super nervous during the Driving Test with the Official.

It was also mandatory to use a manual car.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

I'm trying to study for the test before I go to sleep and here is the advice on the website:

"What is the best thing to do the night before my Missouri road test?

Try not to be nervous. If you've practiced enough, you'll ace the test. Be sure to have everything you need and look forward to the next day."

I haven't practiced enough at all. I'm just hoping I can pass this thing on the first try.

I am gonna play all the games you guys recommended me in the thread. That was really nice of you guys.

We really do need some kinda real life driving sim game. I bet it would sell millions. I would buy it.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to study for the test before I go to sleep and here is the advice on the website:

I haven't practiced enough at all. I'm just hoping I can pass this thing on the first try.

I am gonna play all the games you guys recommended me in the thread.

I mean, you do you, I wouldn't spend my last hours before my driving test playing video games if I had your level of preparation.

Good luck anyway, hope you'll be safe. Keep us informed of how it went !

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

I mean, you do you, I wouldn't spend my last hours before my driving test playing video games if I had your level of preparation.

Good luck anyway, hope you'll be safe. Keep us informed of how it went !

Lol I meant like I'm still gonna play all the games if even I fail the test today.

And thanks for the support and help. I really appreciate it. If it isn't obvious... I'm not the brightest bulb in the tool shed if you catch my drift lol

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Lol I meant like I'm still gonna play all the games if even I fail the test today.

And thanks for the support and help. I really appreciate. If it isn't obvious... I'm not the brightest bulb in the tool shed if you catch my drift lol

Oh ok I misread you then, sorry !

No worry, I still technically want to you to succeed even if from the stuff you said I'm not sure you should have a driver licence right now ^^ But honestly, there is a middle between 50 hours of supervised driving and none at all. Maybe just try to find a way to practice with an instructor at least 4 or 5 times (an hour each time at least) so they can teach you the basic stuff that your brain must be able to do automatically when driving, and also teach you the stuff that will straight up eliminate you from the test (you already got some pretty good actual advices in the thread , not video game related ofc)

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Trackmania is the only real answer here.

Seriously though, study or drive a real car if you got the chance. Best of luck tomorrow!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Okay, real advice time. Make it really obvious that you're looking at your mirrors. If you've had enough practice and you stay focused you'll probably do fine, but that's probably the one area where being too relaxed can hurt you, because if you just use your eyes to look at the mirrors instead of craning your neck then they might dock you for it.
I'd say moving this to off-topic asking for more answers like this one might be better for you, but I understand that from the way to approached your problem the gaming forum might seem ok to you, OP.