• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands series.

Dark Souls 2 (relatively speaking)

XCOM the Bureau

Later Saints Row games (this seems mostly just a trend lately rather than around their release).

Zero Time Dilemma (not great, but not the abomination some make it out to be)

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any Paper Mario that isn't the first two or Sticker Star (which is legitimately bad). Color Splash and Origami King in particular are fantastic, and if OK had a more traditional battle system it would be considered one of the best games Nintendo ever released. And yeah, I'd totally love a Paper Mario that played more like the first two, but after seeing how stale the Mario and Luigi games got, I'm pretty grateful that Paper Mario is still trucking

Agreed on Dark Souls 2 as well. I like all of the Souls games so this shouldn't be seen as me trying to do a hot take (I think at best it's a lukewarm one anyway), but I definitely preferred DS2 to 3 and Demon's Souls at least

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It gets a little hate relative to the praise it gets. And what it does get generally is just people not liking weapon degradation, which isn't the same thing as not liking the game.
Im sorry but you are wrong , it gets quite a bit of hate ,and not just because of the weapon degradation.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Botw gets tooooons of praise. I feel like that is an odd choice to use an example.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
BOTW is like one of the most universally praised games I can think of. There's obviously going to be people against the grain, but that is a very small minority. Both players and critics largely fawn over it all the time.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Ni No Kuni 2

I don't know why they removed the familiar system but it's still a really good game, that looks beautiful and is actually fun to play. I don't know why there is so much hate for this game.

Dark Souls 2 is a good pick too, as I think it's actually better than DS3.

Also, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Yeah, it gets a bit repetitive and combat isn't the best, but overall it's a pretty good game.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm not saying that BOTW is super hated like DS2 or anything ,but it does get a lot of hate.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Halo 4 and 5 for me. Especially 4.

Playing through 4 with my SO as we finish the MCC. There are so many cool moments. The Prometheans are simply more fun to fight than the Flood. Reclaimer is such a great Halo mission.

5's story is fairly lame, but some of the levels are gold. Swords of Sanghelios definitely stands out. They're honeycombed with secret spots with great verticality.

Both games feature the things I look for in a Halo game: terrific mission variety and gunplay. I'm not looking for deep lore or writing. Also, both have some semblance of weapon balancing. Every gun feels unique, but viable. Not sure Bungie has heard of the concept.

BotW? Lol.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 6.
I understand it's not the direction a lot of people wanted the series to go, but as an action/horror I think it's far superior to RE5 which people seem to love despite it being just as action heavy. RE6 also had a ton of content for a single player game, and each campaign felt unique which I loved.
Absolutely this. I agree with all your points. It also was the game that made Capcom return the series to its roots for its next game.

The Evil Within 1. It's a gem of a game that's 100x better than it's disappointing sequel.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Botw gets tooooons of praise. I feel like that is an odd choice to use an example.
Same for Spider-Man and The Last of Us. Like, these are all games with universal acclaim and especially here get almost nothing but praise and love. I was expecting more examples like the last Mass Effect or something lol

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
TIL that BOTW is sh*t on en masse apparently nah lol if you said something like wind waker i'd understand that game was shat on so hard when it came out my input for this thread though will be TLOU2 gameplay alone in that is some of naughty dogs best

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Lol I guess most people don't agree with the BOTW choice, meh I'll stand by it as my one of my examples , I think I should added something like DmC too , its actually one of the Devil May Cry games in my opinion.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
The more I log onto this forum the more I see final fantasy fans treating some of the games in the series like the spawn of satan

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The Pokémon series, recently. I understand people being upset about the games not being as good as they could be, but they're definitely not as bad as they say.

Sep 29, 2019
Watch Dogs. I remember having sick fun with this game, yet i usually only see people bad mouthing it and all. I think it's an ok game - not super crazily amazing, but it's not as bad as people make it seem

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Capcom Fighting Jam was still fun and music was good, despite the game being like a poor man's mugen.

King of Fighters XII, isn't terrible despite the roster cut, I still enjoyed it and the help pave the way for the overall better version of KOF XIII

Metroid other M, aside from the dumb fan service and the poor dialog, over all game and presentation was solid. It was like playing a poor man's Metal Gear but with Samus.

Most Switch ports get shat on here for poor resolution and frame rates but over all are still fairly to very playable and still fun to play on the go.

Jul 26, 2018
Watch Dogs 1 is still one of my favourite open world games of the generation. It's a great game but everybody decided it was more important to focus on the visuals being worse than the original reveal. Downgrade-gate or whatever you wanna call it was honestly an embarrassment for this community.
It's a real pity Ubisoft is not really into remakes. They should take some people, or build up some shadow studios, and remake Splinter Cell, WD1, etc. I wonder how the cost of a remake compare to a full game, even if they have to rework the assets (cause they're like three gen old) at least they get to skip the design and writing parts I guess? And maybe recycle some of the engines they already have?

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Lol I guess most people don't agree with the BOTW choice, meh I'll stand by it as my one of my examples
Nah, that's a perfect example. It's highly praised and just about always wins polls in which it's compared to other games here. But also, anytime someone makes a thread about it here, we end up with 20 pages of people complaining about weapon durability and shit.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I never quite got people's reaction to Resident Evil 6, while seemingly being okay with RE5. The parts of RE6 that were bad, were bad because they were things taken from RE5.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Nah, that's a perfect example. It's highly praised and just about always wins polls in which it's compared to other games here. But also, anytime someone makes a thread about it here, we end up with 20 pages of people complaining about weapon durability and shit.
Hehe indeed but the hate it gets is not just here, I've read and heard hate from the game in some other places.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm...I can't think of too many that haven't already been mentioned. I guess the remake of Shadow of the Colossus, where a lot of the criticism comes from the character models, I believe. But that's about it and it's mainly in gaming forums or YouTube anyways as opposed to your normal everyday folk

Yeah, some folk on gaming forums have a weird thing when it comes to BotW. They really can't let it go. In general, the game is insanely loved but the vocal minority is really vocal

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Yeah, agreed with Mortal Kombat and Borderlands series, Halo 4 and 5, Resident Evil 5 and 6, and Metroid Other M.

Oh, and the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy.

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill Downpour gets lumped in with Homecoming. It's not a great Silent Hill game, but it's decent and way better than Homecoming.
Silent Hill 4 is actually very good.

I didn't really like SH4, but Downpour is pretty good indeed, besides the boring enemy designs.

It really is. The only DMC game I like to be honest.

Same. Don't really care for the DMC series, but I liked DmC.

Also, RE6. It's a perfectly fine action horror game.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some folk on gaming forums have a weird thing when it comes to BotW. They really can't let it go. In general, the game is insanely loved but the vocal minority is really vocal
If you dislike something and get constantly bombarded with how it is the best thing ever and well meaning inquiries about how you must be playing it wrong it tends to make you cranky.

Personally BOTW was one of the worst wastes of money I have ever commited.

BobbyB

Aug 18, 2021
Mario tennis aces was really fun I thought but every time I see it brought up people seem to only have negative opinions on it.
Same with mario golf as well

Oct 26, 2017
If you dislike something and get constantly bombarded with how it is the best thing ever and well meaning inquiries about how you must be playing it wrong it tends to make you cranky.

Personally BOTW was one of the worst wastes of money I have ever commited.
There are a ton of games that Era gushes over constantly that I think are absolute trash. I don't make it my mission to let folk know how much I despise them or that they're overrated or overhyped or whatever in every single thread about that game. If you have an issue with seeing people be positive about a game, that's on you, man. That's just really weird and bizarre. I may bring up that I don't like them every so often but that's about it

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is universally praised by most people that know what they are talking about, so I disagree with its inclusion here
I think my answer is pokemon, the criticism is warranted but the way it is done isnt healthy at all
also Super Paper Mario, it was the last time IS did an actual good cohesive story

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The game part of Other M isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be and gets overshadowed by the god awful story. It actually has some decent ideas.

Sonic Unleashed is flawed but has some of the best 3d Sonic stages period and this often gets overlooked because "lol werehog"

I get why people were disappointed with XY coming off of the Black/White games, and Team Flare sucks, but I think Kalos is a really fun region and I really liked stuff like sending people boosts through street pass and Pokemon-Amie.