• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Now maybe I'm alone in this, but sometimes when I'm down or really bored I'll rewatch a "feel good" movie to improve my mood. What's a "feel good" film, well that's for you to decide. It's whatever film that leaves you in a better mood then you were before watching. For me, it's really positive films that are usually about overcoming some singular objective that brings everyone together; no mean spiritedness at all. In fact, these films often don't even have a villain.

For example, the film I find myself routinely returning to is Ridley Scott's The Martian (2015). This is a film that always picks me up because of how it's just about everyone working to save one person, together. A weird timeline where NASA is fully funded and actually able to pursue science for the benefit of all mankind. And even when there is infighting, it comes from a place of trying to do the right thing.

The end part always hits me.

So Era, do you have any "feel good" movies you like to rewatch? If so, what makes a particular film your "feel good" film to you?

Last edited:

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I think Palm Springs is gonna be one of these for me for a long time. It's such an easy & fun watch.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
How to Marry a Millionaire

AS6jaqD.png

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't revisit films too much on the whole, throwing on Into the Spider-Verse is always a good time when I want something easy and fun though.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Spirited Away, Ratatouille, The Shape of Water. And for sad movies that make me feel good, Her and Personal Shopper.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For a movie that is sort of delightfully light and fluffy throughout and just has an easy, bouyant vibe throughout, I'd recommend Princess Bride. It's just a feel good story layered with a ton of wit and creativitity.

On the far more serious end, but with that sort of overcoming-all-odds feeling you mention, I'd recommend Gravity. It can be heartwrenching and desolate at moments but I remember walking out of the theater after I watched it and feeling like I desperately wanted to go out and just live life, do as much as possible, and that there was value in that.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Now maybe I'm alone in this, but sometimes when I'm down or really bored I'll rewatch a "feel good" movie to improve my mood. What's a "feel good" film, well that's for you to decide. It's whatever film that leaves you in a better mood then you were before watching. For me, it's really positive films that are usually about overcoming some singular objective that brings everyone together; no mean spiritedness at all. In fact, these films often don't even have a villain.

For example, the film I find myself routinely returning to is Ridley Scott's The Martian (2015). This is a film that always picks me up because of how it's just about everyone working to save one person, together. A weird timeline where NASA is fully funded and actually able to pursue science for the benefit of all mankind. And even when there is infighting, it comes from a place of trying to do the right thing.

The end part always hits me.

So Era, do you have any "feel good" movies you like to rewatch? If so, what makes a particular film your "feel good" film to you?

Apollo 13, for kinda the same reason.

Jun 10, 2018
Treasure Planet and the Goofy Movie duology are my go-tos.

The way Treasure Planet ends is just 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾every single time.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Good Will Hunting.

Then I get sad at the end cause of the Elliot Smith song and the reminder of my lost youth....

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was pleasently surprised by Netflix's Eurovision movie with Will Ferrel and Rachel McAdams. It's the ideal feel good movie this shitty year needed.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
I find pretty much every scene of Avater positive and reaffirming in a different way (from Sully ether getting the use of his legs back, to learning new skills, to falling in love, etc.). I can't wait for the sequels.

Beyond that, I'd also say the Mummy 1999, Catch Me If You Can and The Mask Of Zorro do the trick.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Batman Returns.
It brings me to when I was little and I enjoyed going to the theatre, collecting stickers, playing the toys, when a merchandise frenzy was, in my eyes, still a great thing.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Can't believe no mention of Chef yet. Awesome music, delicious looking food being cooked, virtually no real conflict.

So many sports movies

Speed Racer too

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really go around rewatching movies anymore, but when I was younger D2 and Hook were my goto for stuff like that. Especially the scenes where the D2 kids reunite, or the scene where Peter remembers he's Peter Pan. I watched them a loooooot, the VHS tapes were really used up.

Those are not my favorite movies of all time, but they make me so happy to watch even to this day. Haven't watched them in years though, might do it soon!

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dirty Work, Office Space, Aliens, Star Wars (any), pretty much any 80s action film or 90s cyberpunk film

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Magnolia has been a go to for a long time when I'm in my feels. I like the catharsis and it does have a surprisingly positive and hopeful ending.

That or Macgruber.
tenor.gif

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Amelie always puts me in a good after watching it. Generally go to music before movies to life my spirits, though.