• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got no money but I want to travel. I'm in Central Europe which is good I guess. Don't recommend Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

European cities I absolutely loved:

- Paris (most impressive city I've ever seen)
- Palermo (and other places in Sicily like Catania and Enna)
- Barcelona
- Copenhagen
- London
- Toulouse
- Prague
- Amsterdam
- Vienna
- Hamburg

I wasn't too impressed with Dublin, Pristina or Belgrade. What do you guys recommend? I think Norway'd be pretty cool but I'm quite open to anything really. Mind you, I have no driving licence so places without public transport or affordable cabs are a problem. I guess Rome would be a good idea too.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what your budget is, even if it's 'got no money'. I just had a lovely five day trip to Malta, though I work at Stonehenge so that proved to be something of a busman's holiday with the Hypogeum and stuff. Flight and hotel was a couple hundred quid, and the heritage pass gets you in a bunch of places.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Rome a lot. That city oozes history more than any other i've seen.

And the food is good.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I've lived in London all my life and visited Amsterdam a few months ago for about a week. I loved it. I wish London was like that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored both Rome and Athens. Tons of history, both very walkable, and good food.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost $1000 for a transatlantic flight.

I envy EU being able to just hop a cheap flight/train to a brand new culture/vacation

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal is my favourite country from all those I visited in Europe (and that's almost all of the EU + Switzerland)

Absolutely magnificent country in terms of nature, culture and history. It has a close relationship with the ocean too. It's cliffsides and walking trails and rough oceans are one of my favourite parts of the country

Lisbon and Porto are amazing cities, but there are lots of smaller places that are amazing to visit too for at least a day (Coimbra, Aveiro, évora, Obidos, ...). And the people are amazing.

And as you don't have money: Portugal is one of the cheapest Western European countries to visit. You can literaly have a 3 course lunch for 7 or 8 euro in places that aren't Lisbon or Porto. There is also a good system of long distance busses to take you from place to place, and between the bigger hubs there are usually good train connections (some smaller places have train connections too, but it often takes ages to get from A to B as these lines stop at every place that has more than 5 citizens, so to speak)

And If I am allowed to be chauvinistic I would say my own hometown of Ghent in Belgium is definitely one of the hidden gems. Most people skip it and stick to Brussels and Bruges, but they really miss out on a beautiful, lively Medieval city right in between those two. Wouldn't recommend Belgium on a shoestring though. Life is not as expensive as in Paris or London, but it's expensive nonetheless, especially eating out and stuff like that.

Aya

depending what kind of fun you're after - in terms of coolness and unusualness and cities I personally enjoy visiting - Zagreb, Bucharest, Rovinj, Madrid, Lisbon is a must, Rome is amazing, gosh they're so many worth visiting! Freiburg, Siebenstern (Transylvania), Granada and the list keeps going

LE. okay, gotcha, Germany and Austria are out (I added other cities instead)

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Any interest in visiting heritage stuff? More for major monuments? Exploring the landscape?

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I'd say, perhaps visit Bruges, but it's a pretty small city. Depending on your tastes, it might not offer enough different things to fill an entire trip.

Luckily, Belgium is tiny, so it's easy to stay somewhere centrally and visit a different location every day. The canals of Bruges one day, the Gallo-Roman Museum in Tongres the next, a visit to some major theatres of the European and World Wars in Waterloo or Bastogne, party in Ghent, Brussels or Antwerp, and finishing things off with nice a Chimay trappist beer at the Notre-Dame de Scourmont abbey.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I enjoy all these things. Just recommend away. The only thing I'm not much into is lazing away at the beach. I find that boring and pointless.

I read it's the most ugly place on earth.

Final question: When were you hoping to go? In a couple weeks? Height of the summer? Start of autumn? That will massively affect the pricing on flights and such.

Edit: I realise that is technically a series of questions, but it's a core one with clarifications!

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final question: When were you hoping to go? In a couple weeks? Height of the summer? Start of autumn? That will massively affect the pricing on flights and such.
I can't say unfortunately. I just checked flights for Porto, which is one of the more distant places recommended here, and it was ~200€ for a two way flight in early July. I'm not sure if I can go in July though. I just want a list of places worth seeing which I can draw from when the time to travel comes.

Oct 25, 2017
Republic of San Marino is by far one of my favorite places I have ever been to.
It's such a unique place, it's got a very unique vibe feeling almost like a modern castle town. The city just wraps around essentially a spire that is capped off with an keep.

It's super cool, especially in the winter, walking around after dinner as the snow falls lightly and drinking some street mulled wine is awesome.