• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example, this in Suicide Squad:
gLz4Syw.gif

Or this in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom:
uJCqOHy.gif

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
9524b84c7f2c96797097cd6895f0286c.jpg

Tarsem Singh's The Fall is fall of creative shots, as are his other films. A good cinematographer, but a poor director.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tarsem Singh's The Fall is fall of creative shots, as are his other films. A good cinematographer, but a poor director.
I'd say that this and Immortals are actually very good, not just in their cinematography. But I realize I might be alone on that here.

Tsui Hark's Van Damme movie "Knock Off" is full of weird shots where it felt like they were just doing whatever the fuck they wanted. There's one where they dolly the camera through a wall and through the back of a TV, showing all of the electronics inside, for no reason whatsoever. It's super weird but interesting.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
That scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake where the drifter girl shoots herself in the head, and then the camera immediately reverses through the exit wound in her head and the shattered glass of the car's rear window. It's been done elsewhere but was well executed in TCM.

Actually I don't really think the movie is "shitty", it's not bad for a remake but needless like most.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That scene in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake where the drifter girl shoots herself in the head, and then the camera immediately reverses through the exit wound in her head and the shattered glass of the car's rear window. It's been done elsewhere but was well executed in TCM.

Actually I don't really think the movie is "shitty", it's not bad for a remake but needless like most.

oooh shitty horror movies with awesome death scenes !
This will be a huge source for this thread =P

For example, i love the laser scene in the first Resident Evil movie
Specially a big fan of how they make a piece of the eye slide first after the laser cuts the dude in lots of pieces

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a pretty big standard Tokusatsu film (barely more production value than a regular series) but the "last" Den O film with Takeru Satoh has this pretty great scene.

It's all one shot and has Momotaros getting beaten up by a possessed Den-O as he tries to awaken his friend from the villain's possession.

I mean nothing award winning but a strong contender for my favorite Toku scene.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
oooh shitty horror movies with awesome death scenes !
This will be a huge source for this thread =P

For example, i love the laser scene in the first Resident Evil movie
Specially a big fan of how they make a piece of the eye slide first after the laser cuts the dude in lots of pieces

That's a good one. The opening scene of Ghost Ship is very similar - there's a metal wire that comes loose from the ship and slices the entire crew in half while they're in the middle of a dance.

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately love the 2014 TMNT movie but I know most here probably don't.

It has some the best framed action I've seen in film. The full framing of the high quality CG characters, the longer takes, the animation, camera angles, story telling and personality through body movement, the marriage of cg and practical effects and the editing are all on point and showcased brilliantly in this scene:

youtu.be

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Snow Mountain Chase Scene HD

Sinopse:Afetados por uma substância radioativa, um grupo de tartarugas cresce anormalmente, ganha força e conhecimento. Vivendo nos esgotos de Manhattan, qua...

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thirteen Ghosts remake where a guy gets cut in half vertically from the sides by a glass door closing on him.

While the movie isn't exactly shit, the decapitation scene in Midnight Meat Train was very creative and awesome.

And finally, pretty much everything having to do with the Sandman in Spider-Man 3.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In one of the VHS movies there's a fight between a magician and his assistant that's actually done really well.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Tsui Hark's Van Damme movie "Knock Off" is full of weird shots where it felt like they were just doing whatever the fuck they wanted. There's one where they dolly the camera through a wall and through the back of a TV, showing all of the electronics inside, for no reason whatsoever. It's super weird but interesting.
There is a "camera inside the shoe so we can see the foot going in" shot. Tsui Hark is a genius.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

It has some the best framed action I've seen in film. The full framing of the high quality CG characters, the longer takes, the animation, camera angles, story telling and personality through body movement, the marriage of cg and practical effects and the editing are all on point and showcased brilliantly in this scene:

youtu.be

Sinopse:Afetados por uma substância radioativa, um grupo de tartarugas cresce anormalmente, ganha força e conhecimento. Vivendo nos esgotos de Manhattan, qua...

It's a cool action scene, but I've always hated the gross leering male gaze moment with Megan Fox in here. TMNT should be a kids centric movie, not a movie where people are shooting revolvers and the audience, not just the characters, are subjected to being fucking creepers.

That and the the turtles themselves are gross to look at.

It's a shame because, as you said the action is shot really well and everything's well choreographed to the audience geographically.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The terrible A Nightmare on Elm Street remake has the cool micro-sleep moment in the store. Everything else in the film is a disaster.

edit: And upon rewatch it isn't even as effective as I remember.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool action scene, but I've always hated the gross leering male gaze moment with Megan Fox in here. TMNT should be a kids centric movie, not a movie where people are shooting revolvers and the audience, not just the characters, are subjected to being fucking creepers.

That and the the turtles themselves are gross to look at.

It's a shame because, as you said the action is shot really well and everything's well choreographed to the audience geographically.
I agree. That and the "shell tightening" and such. I dislike the second movie for going against what made the first great but that one kept the creep factor going. Weird when Megan Fox called out Bay for creepy shit but kept it going in future productions of his. Unless I'm misremembering their beef.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

youtu.be

I wanted to hate this movie going into the theaters. I came out not hating it. I don't think it was good or anything, but I didn't hate it, which is weird.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to hate this movie going into the theaters. I came out not hating it. I don't think it was good or anything, but I didn't hate it, which is weird.
I had a smile on my face at Mikey rocket boarding and Donnie "being a badass" and later doing that catapult thing. Also had a 4 year old in tow watching it with TMNT colored and branded 3D glasses with like minded folks in the theater which certainly helped.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That one demon scene towards the end of Hellboy 2019

Those monster designs are pretty sweet. There should be a companion topic "Great Design Work In Bad Films." I swear it's way harder to find CGI/effects teams who don't bring it in these big budget films than writers. It makes me sad to watch bonus material from, like, TROS showing all the love and care the non-writing creatives had that kinda just went to waste.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Those monster designs are pretty sweet. There should be a companion topic "Great Design Work In Bad Films." I swear it's way harder to find CGI/effects teams who don't bring it in these big budget films than writers. It makes me sad to watch bonus material from, like, TROS showing all the love and care the non-writing creatives had that kinda just went to waste.
Yeah. You could tell the vfx/design/concept team was probably told "Just give us 2 minutes of demons going HAM. Sky's the limit. Go nuts with it." and they totally brought it.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I genuinely can't think of an example of an actual GOOD shot just randomly showing up in an otherwise real shitty movie.
However, if we're counting "didn't love it, but it's still hella cool", the Ghidorah roar in Godzilla II: King Of Monsters stands out.

Also, the entire feel of Halloween 5 is that it is clearly made by a more artistically accomplished group of people, even if it is the one that nobody remembers because it didn't have the Shotgun scene (tm) and the roof scene of Halloween 4.

Technically one might count a lot of establishing shots in James Bond movies too, as well as the 'the best we could get' that you have in the 70s and 80s.

There is also one 'okay now that actually IS cool' scene in Pacific Rim: Uprising, but it's a massive spoiler too, so:

the Kaiju combination scene

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say that this and Immortals are actually very good, not just in their cinematography. But I realize I might be alone on that here.

Your post made me start watching Knock Off on Prime, and in the opening scene there is a dolly shot that goes inside the eye of a doll.. so good.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really like every non-horror movie mentioned in this thread. Jurassic Park (any), Cool as Ice, TMNT, Tin Tin, The Fall, Godzilla...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the scenes in Baby Driver that matched the action with the music, but the last third (or more) of the movie stopped doing the gimmick and it was a bummer.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I always liked the bank scene in Jumper. The best shot is when the camera doesn't leave the bedroom and he just jumps in and out of the bank. The scrolling scene in the park is better but couldn't find a clip of it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The scene at the pool in Strangers Prey at Night is pretty slick with some great shots. The kid floating on his back bleeding out while the camera dips above and below the water is awesome.

Rest of the movie is not great but my overall view of the movie is heightened by this scene.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean AWE is such a hot mess of a bloated movie, but that night sky scene though

tumblr_nm8pdxq2AY1rrecxqo2_500.gifv

Gorgeous.

At least Gore Verbinski knew how to frame the action scenes.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

The Fall is great, though. Not just the visuals either. I quite like how the hospitalised stuntmans storytelling is portrayed as a manipulative and abusive skill used by an adult to control a child. Normally storytelling is portrayed as a creative and virtuous endeavour, and that is often far from the truth.

The dissonance between the story told and the story percieved is a really fun detail, too.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
You know, I genuinely can't think of an example of an actual GOOD shot just randomly showing up in an otherwise real shitty movie.
However, if we're counting "didn't love it, but it's still hella cool", the Ghidorah roar in Godzilla II: King Of Monsters stands out.

Also, the entire feel of Halloween 5 is that it is clearly made by a more artistically accomplished group of people, even if it is the one that nobody remembers because it didn't have the Shotgun scene (tm) and the roof scene of Halloween 4.

Technically one might count a lot of establishing shots in James Bond movies too, as well as the 'the best we could get' that you have in the 70s and 80s.

There is also one 'okay now that actually IS cool' scene in Pacific Rim: Uprising, but it's a massive spoiler too, so:

the Kaiju combination scene

I'll honestly take the laundry chute and car chase scenes Halloween 5 over the best that Halloween 4 has to offer.