• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a blender, food processor or electric kettle. For my water boiling needs I use a stovetop kettle. I also don't have a coffee maker, but I use a French press or a stovetop Espresso maker.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Toaster

We don't eat much bread but if we need to toast the occasional bagel, we'll pop it in the broiler.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also don't have a food processor. I see these things in cooking shows all the time. But I can do most of that they do be hand or using a blender, which I do have. They look awful to clean as well if you're without a dishwasher.

This just isn't true. There's a reason you see chefs use them. You could potentially create a reasonable proximity, but this is like saying you can make a smoothie with a knife.

Also, they're easy to clean. No more difficult than rinsing out a bowl you've been eating whatever you made in the food processor out of.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This just isn't true. There's a reason you see chefs use them. You could potentially create a reasonable proximity, but this is like saying you can make a smoothie with a knife.

Also, they're easy to clean. No more difficult than rinsing out a bowl you've been eating whatever you made in the food processor out of.
What do you use It for? I just don't see it fitting my repertoire at all. I also love using a knife a lot. It's like meditation for me lol. Yeah, I could probably use a food processor for faster fine chops, but I don't doing it manually. I enjoy it actually.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you use It for? I just don't see it fitting my repertoire at all. I also love using a knife a lot. It's like meditation for me lol. Yeah, I could probably use a food processor for faster fine chops, but I don't doing it manually. I enjoy it actually.

There are countless sauces that you would be hard pressed to create successfully without the use of a food processor or blender. If you are primarily making dinners like spaghetti and tacos then yes, little need for a food processor. If you are making food that requires a bit more knowledge and technique it would be difficult to recreate certain items without something like a food processor.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't have a dishwasher. Maybe it's because our kitchen is pretty small, and there wouldn't be enough place to install a dishwasher without losing valuable space for silverware, but it might also be because we're just with the two of us. A dishwasher sounds a little overkill for our situation.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
There are countless sauces that you would be hard pressed to create successfully without the use of a food processor or blender. If you are primarily making dinners like spaghetti and tacos then yes, little need for a food processor. If you are making food that requires a bit more knowledge and technique it would be difficult to recreate certain items without something like a food processor.
I make all my sauces from scratch. Tomato/pizza, béchamel, salsa verde, and so on. Never needed a food processor. Mayo based sauces can be made in a blender.

I do like food processors for pesto, though. But I rarely have a craving for pesto. I go store made if I want pesto.

Another application I saw was grinding meat, which is rather nifty. Alton Brown did that for making burgers.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I make all my sauces from scratch. Tomato/pizza, béchamel, salsa verde, and so on. Never needed a food processor. Mayo based sauces can be made in a blender.

I do like food processors for pesto, though. But I rarely have a craving for pesto. I go store made if I want pesto.

Another application I saw was grinding meat, which is rather nifty. Alton Brown did that for making burgers.

I think the key statement there is that you do use a blender. I guess my point is that a contraption of the sort is necessary for certain things.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

I've done pesto in my vitamix before.

We don't have a dishwasher. Maybe it's because our kitchen is pretty small, and there wouldn't be enough place to install a dishwasher without losing valuable space for silverware, but it might also be because we're just with the two of us. A dishwasher sounds a little overkill for our situation.

dishwashers are WAY less common elsewhere in the world.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I think the key statement there is that you do use a blender. I guess my point is that a contraption of the sort is necessary for certain things.
I mean, I would get one. I'm a big home cook. I just want to justify it lol. Seems very nice for baking, but I don't bake much. I don't don't have stand mixer and see a lot of dough recipes use food processors.

You're right about restaurants. They're great there, but they're also making much bigger portions of almost everything so the it helps with the volume.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I don't have a toaster or coffee maker. I had a toaster oven but not a traditional toaster growing up, but I didn't use it often. I don't like toasted bread much anyway. And I don't drink coffee, so no need for a coffee maker.

I'm impressed by how many people don't have a microwave... I cook in big batches a few times a week, and I'd be miserable having to heat my food up again on the stove.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
When the wife and I moved into our first apartment together back in late 2016 we never quite figured out where to put a microwave in our small kitchen setup.

Fast forward to 2019 and we still don't have a microwave.

To be fair neither of us miss it.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
8e5c98c8ef71d130e18aa288ff45577c.jpg

Im the .4%

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
A mixer I guess? Neither my wife or I like baking, don't eat sweets/deserts so we just don't need it.

Not sure how common those are among Gen X and younger folk though. Otherwise I think we have everything common as we do cook a lot, drink coffee, make toast etc.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a toaster.

I use the broiler in my oven and it can do a reasonable job but a toaster would be far easier. Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Also, we don't own a dishwasher, which is seemingly rarer by the day in the UK.

Whenever I mention it to people I can guarantee that they'll say "What, you wash the dishes in the sink?!" Like there's some 3rd alternative where I'm either sat doing them with me in the bath or I'm stood outside hosing them down.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Also, we don't own a dishwasher, which is seemingly rarer by the day in the UK.

Whenever I mention it to people I can guarantee that they'll say "What, you wash the dishes in the sink?!" Like there's some 3rd alternative where I'm either sat doing them with me in the bath or I'm stood outside hosing them down.
I had an apartment with small dishwasher once. It spoiled me to tears. I moved from that apartment to another and no dishwasher.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought we had a fairly Spartan kitchen but this thread is showing me that we do have many of the most common things. We don't have a food processor but we have a blender for smoothies, etc. Electric kettle/French press for coffee. Microwave, dishwasher, toaster.

We don't have a toaster oven but I've always wondered if I'd like one. There are only two of us so unless we're baking a big meal the oven is a bit of a waste. The idea of another appliance to handle something that I can already manage reasonably well isn't super appealing though. Maybe when the toaster eventually dies.

This is a fair reaction. I have a tendency to drink 1/2 my coffee in the morning and then get distracted by work, and I'd rather nuke it than throw it away.

It's vastly inferior to fresh, but I paid for those beans and I'm not gonna waste 'em.
I microwave coffee every day at work. Some people say "you killed it" but I can't taste a difference; it's just hot again.

It changes the chemical composition of the coffee!

My parents do the same thing though. Grosses me out. My dad will buy like a large coffee and keep it all weekend, reheating it every few hours. Shit's nasty
Is that actually true? And an all-weekend coffee is well beyond my capacity lol; I'll have a cup last morning until lunch at most.

It's not the microwave, it's the reheating. Even coffee kept warm for hours will suck.
I've never noticed standing coffee being worse unless it's left in the French press for way too long.

We don't own a microwave. Most of the food out of a microwave taste weird. Except Poptarts. I miss Poptarts.
But you need a toaster for your poptarts to pop. Microwave tastes better though. Though neither is very good.

Surprised at the lack of microwave ovens. So convenient for leftovers.
Microwave is good as long as the ingredients in the meal heat at a similar rate. Otherwise, I agree; I steam vegetables in the microwave regularly.

I also eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas basically daily so to do that on the stove sounds like a poor use of time when I'm also prepping coffee in the French press.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are better from the pan anyways!
Oh yes, they absolutely are best in the pan without a doubt.

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No microwave.

Mine caught on fire 18 months ago and I never got a new one. I don't miss it. Microwaveable food is always a bad idea. The one thing I miss is being able to re-heat frozen rice.