• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

John Langan's The Fisherman.

New Sun especially, because it has the added benefit of being a book series to reread for added revelations, so I'd get that benefit again too.

Mar 3, 2018
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

Always wanted to read this but seemed daunting for some reason.

As for myself? Anything by Iain Banks honestly. His world building in the Culture series really popped the kid off my head. My mind went to so many amazing places. I would probably pick Player of Games since I enjoy retreading that a lot. Maybe Use of Weapons as a contender.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Silmarillion
  • The Master and Margarita
  • Excession
  • Star Maker

To name but a few.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I think many books stuck with me because I read them at certain time in life. Would be interesting to know If I would regard certain books so highly if I read them today for the first time.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So many books have shaped my thinking throughout my life that I would hate to have the memory of them expunged even if I could read them again with a fresh perspective, honestly.

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of Stephen King's books. Mainly Salem's Lot, It and the Dark Tower series. The Harry Potter books , Neverending Story, the first two Robert Langdon novels , The Alienist, The Swarm, the early Jack Ryan novels, The List of Seven, Wool, the early Vampire Lestat Books, The Martian.

Sadly, books don't seem to have the same impact on me that they used to have. So I'm glad I read most of them at a younger age.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, we're both big Tolkien fans; but I would say that The Silmarillion is not a book I'd read for the first time again. I feel that I always get more out of it with each reading, and I see more things that I'd missed or forgotten about. As a first time read, it's a bit dense.

Your wish is your wish, of course. I just find it interesting how two Tolkien fans could disagree about such a thing, trivial as it is.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, we're both big Tolkien fans; but I would say that The Silmarillion is not a book I'd read for the first time again. I feel that I always get more out of it with each reading, and I see more things that I'd missed or forgotten about. As a first time read, it's a bit dense.

Your wish is your wish, of course. I just find it interesting how two Tolkien fans could disagree about such a thing, trivial as it is.
Indeed. I feel that subsequent readings, plus ancillary material from Tolkien scholars such as Verlyn Flieger, have somewhat diminished the sense of wonder I felt when reading it for the first time.

Last edited:

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
A little life. I know the book was gruesome to get through at points but it's also the most invested I've ever gotten in a bunch of fictional characters.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh also-"On Writing" by Stephen King. It's my favorite book of all time-I could listen to the audiobook on a loop. It's a must listen for anyone. It's a combination of autobiography/a look into the writing process/a celebration of the love of writing and reading.

King was born poor and married poor. Writing wasn't his job - it was his passion that he did in his spare time. He wrote in a little laundry room while his kids were sleeping. They had to choose between medicine and food when a paycheck came. The chapter where he describes getting a phone call from his agent and learning that the paperback rights for Carrie would get him out of poverty for the first time in his life brings me to tears every time I hear it. He was so overwhelmed and overjoyed he went out to immediately buy his wife a gift to celebrate and for some reason got her a hair dryer. It's a beautiful story.

They suddenly had money for groceries and could even afford a telephone.

He hoped that fat royalty checks would keep replenishing his bank account, but Carrie only sold 13,000 copies as a hardback, which convinced him to grudgingly sign a new teaching contract for the 1974 school year.

But soon after, one phone call changed everything. It was Bill Thompson again. 'Are you sitting down?' he asked.

King was home alone, standing in the doorway between his kitchen and living room. 'Do I need to? he said.

'You might,' Thompson said. 'The paperback rights to Carrie went to Signet Books for $400,000 ... 200K of it is yours. Congratulations, Stephen.'

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
La Sombra del Viento, or in English, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafĂłn. One of the best books I have ever read.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
GoT 1-3 is a real good shout from the poster earlier in the thread.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to say ASOIAF--the last book/book series that I was obsessed with; I devoured the first four (five was not out yet) in like 5-6 weeks. But I think I enjoyed my rereads more since I was better able to process the complex mountains of detail crammed into those books; and a chronological reading of the AFFC-ADWD chapters made, for me, that chunk of the story more enjoyable. So I'd probably go with LOTR, which I read for the first time when I was old enough to follow it, but probably too young to fully parse and appreciate Tolkien's prose.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I feel that subsequent readings, plus ancillary material from Tolkien scholars such as Verlyn Flieger, have somewhat diminished the sense of wonder I felt when reading it for the first time.
That's very interesting. My sense of wonder was large for the Hobbit and LotR, but not so much for the Silmarillion, which felt like a dense labyrinth of mythology to explore and ruminate on, rather than to experience in awe.

Different strokes and all...

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
That's very interesting. My sense of wonder was large for the Hobbit and LotR, but not so much for the Silmarillion, which felt like a dense labyrinth of mythology to explore and ruminate on, rather than to experience in awe.

Different strokes and all...
I think it primarily has to do with the fact that The Silmarillion was the first Tolkien book I read. It was unlike any other fantasy that I'd come across in my teen years. That's probably why I have less attachment to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Diana Khoi Nguyen's Ghost Of and Natalie Eilbert's Indictus, two poetry collections, one about suicide and the other about sexual assault, exploring their matters in novel and restorative ways.

When I first read these books they got me to be more confrontative of my traumas and to be more responsible with how I talk about life, or the transgressions thereof. And while that ability of theirs is still there, these days I study them more and reckon with them less.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Shogun by James Clavell
Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The Dark Tower series for sure.

Maybe Harry Potter since my kids are reading them now and it would be good to experience them alongside them.

Also 1984 and Catcher in the Rye. Loved those books when I read them back in school.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it primarily has to do with the fact that The Silmarillion was the first Tolkien book I read. It was unlike any other fantasy that I'd come across in my teen years. That's probably why I have less attachment to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
Ah. That makes sense. I went the Hobbit -> LotR -> Silmarillion route.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
To Kill A Mockingbird. The characters and themes resonate just as strong with every read, but the childhood nostalgia is never as impactful as that first time.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
The Name of the Wind and A Wise Mans Fear even though they're better after each reread. Still, the first time was fucking magical and it made me love books so much more.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Princess Bride was way more fun than I expected. Wouldn't mind being surprised by that again.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lord of the Rings, East of Eden, the inferno, farwell to arms

edit: how could I forget The Count of Monte Cristo, best revenge story ever (thanks dantes, (the poster) for reminding me!)

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
LOTR trilogy, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Perennial Philosophy were all life-changing for me.

Since I've seen it mentioned a few times I'll ask... Does House of Leaves still hold up? Is it actually good, or was it just novel enough at the time to generate excited word of mouth?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Hyperion
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Excession
Ghost in the Shell (it fucking counts)
The Remains of the Day
Ancillary Justice
House of Leaves

Since I've seen it mentioned a few times I'll ask... Does House of Leaves still hold up? Is it actually good, or was it just novel enough at the time to generate excited word of mouth?

Yes. I think it's brilliant.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I endorse the two mentions of The Book Of The New Sun, and I'd like to add Mason & Dixon or Gravity's Rainbow.

Thomas Pynchon doesn't deserve his reputation for inaccessibility. Both of those books are rollicking good times that just happen to be clothed in some of the best, weirdest prose ever committed to page.

Oh, and The Big Sleep. Just so I could discover another of the finest prose stylists and mood-evokers there ever was.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Treasure Island because I want to be that child again and this book fueled my imagination like nothing else.
Thor Heyerdahl's Aku-Aku: the Secret of Easter Island is another one. Both made me a huge fan of marine landscapes, caves and exploring nature in general.