• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
My biggest beef with Rhythm Thief is that the gyroscope motion missions are frustrating. Thankfully they're mostly optional. Otherwise, it's a good Elite Beat Agents substitute with some really good music and a wacky plot set in Paris.

I'll throw in the Denpa Men series but honestly you're better off playing The Denpa Men 3 since the sequels get progressively better by leaps and bounds. They're all dungeon crawlers that run well past the 100+ hour time if you want to do everything but they're good. Save data from prior DM games unlocks bonus goodies in later games.

As for other recommendations not mentioned yet:
  • Kung Fu Rabbit is a cute little platformer game that's cheap (At least by USD standards. Not sure about AUD.)
  • Liberation Maiden is a solid shmump in the vein of Panzer Dragoon in that it's on rails
  • The Mercenaries Saga trilogy is decent from what I heard and played the demo. It's a poor man's Final Fantasy Tactics but a solid one at that. It's also coming to Switch if you have one so I would wait.
  • Ai Race Xeno is the definitive game pf the series to play if you liked the Wipe Out series
  • LBX: Little Battlers Experience is an underrated gem that usually goes on sale. It's a mecha RPG where you mix and match robot parts
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology should not be missed (play the demo on Easy; progress carries over to the full game)
  • Strange Journey: Redux is another Atlus title that's easily a must grab
  • Kirby's Dreamland (?) is enhanced for 3DS and is easily worth the recommendation
  • Kami is a relaxing origami puzzle game that's dirt cheap
  • Rage of The Gladiator is a good Punch Out clone with a Greek mythology twist and RPG elements. It's grindy at times if you want to get all 3 medals and upgrade your skills.
  • Super Street Fighter IV is quite solid on 3DS. You can still find matches online too.
  • Steel Diver: Submarine Wars is a solid free MP game.
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS is quite good and makes improvements on the Wii version. Plus it has has no waggle to roll (!!)
    Avoid Crashmo, Pushmo's spin-off. I heard puzzles get quite frustrating.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Devil survivor Overclocked
Devil survivor 2 Record breaker
Radiant Historia Perfect chronology
Pushmo
Crashmo
Stretchmo
The entire Box boy series
Azure striker gunvolt
Picross 3d : round 2 (imo the best picross game ever.)

Man... there were so many good games on that console.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars are must haves for strategy games on 3DS.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this thread continues with more recommendations. With the 3DS winding down I've also been trying to track down some of the harder to find and uncommon games that are worth owning. The majority mentioned in here I have as I now have approximately 150 Physical games for the 3DS. I did see a few to add to my want list.

I have a feeling some of these late 3DS releases may become pretty hard to find since software sales have been dropping significantly. Hopefully, I am able to grab the majority before they get too pricey.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Funny enough that DS game got rereleased a year later with all the content under a different title.
112490_front.jpg

This series is so hard to keep track of.

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
If I could pick just a one game as the truest hidden gem on 3ds I would pick Rune Factory IV. It is such a great game!

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
220px-Hotel_Dusk.jpg

You may remeber his face from Smash Bros. Brawl if you bothered to beat all-star mode with everyone.

From the makers of Trace Memory, this light novel with light exploration and puzzle solving follows Kyle Hyde, a traveling salesman/former police officer, as he gets to the bottom of the mystery of Hotel Dusk and how the people in it and his past may or may not intertwine.

It features some chill, mood setting music and really pretty hand drawn character portraits and animations. Writing's pretty good too.

Recommended if you're a fan of the Phoenix Wright games and/or classic noir films.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Pocket Card Jockey is one of my favorite games this generation. Speed solitaire mixed with horse racing and it's strangely addicting. The demo is quite beefy too. *Kinda surprised it hasn't been mentioned more

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shinobi really good?

Its on amazon for 18 bucks right now new. I'm thinking of grabbing it, but do I have to worry about buying weird knockoffs or something for old 3ds games on Amazon from 3rd party sellers? It does say its fulfilled by Amazon though...

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shinobi really good?

Its on amazon for 18 bucks right now new. I'm thinking of grabbing it, but do I have to worry about buying weird knockoffs or something for old 3ds games on Amazon from 3rd party sellers? It does say its fulfilled by Amazon though...
If you are into challenging side scrollers, it's one of the best. Super well designed.

220px-Hotel_Dusk.jpg

You may remeber his face from Smash Bros. Brawl if you bothered to beat all-star mode with everyone.

From the makers of Trace Memory, this light novel with light exploration and puzzle solving follows Kyle Hyde, a traveling salesman/former police officer, as he gets to the bottom of the mystery of Hotel Dusk and how the people in it and his past may or may not intertwine.

It features some chill, mood setting music and really pretty hand drawn character portraits and animations. Writing's pretty good too.

Recommended if you're a fan of the Phoenix Wright games and/or classic noir films.
RIP Cing. Going through Last Window was such an experience.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Another vote for Tomodachi Life

latest

But I vote also for:

PS_3DS_Picross3DRound2_UKV.jpg

(I guess I like pastel orange, huh)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Miitopia is surprisingly great, and has an excellent demo.

Any Etrian Odyssey game will do you right, I recommend Etrian Odyssey 4 as a good starter. Most of these also have demos.

7th Dragon III Code VFD was very good, despite the nonsensical name.

Also I'll second the Pocket Card Jockey suggestion, that game is excellent.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I will unironically mention Style Savvy: Styling Star, even if its target audience is probably not this place.

Over than that, I can give a shoutout to those already mentioned titles:
Pocket Card Jockey (GOTY 2016)
Liberation Maiden
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
Pushmo series
Box Boy series
Culdcept Revolt
Jake Hunter Ghost of the Dusk

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of great ones already mentioned, so I won't duplicate them, but the Style Savvy series is a lot of fun.

Thomasmaurits

Nov 7, 2017
Fan of JRPGs — especially Matsuno's (FFT, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle)? What about D&D?

I highly recommend Matsuno's short, sweet, and cheap Crimson Shroud.

This. Actually started New Game + last week and everything about this game is still amazing. Deep Matsuno story, killer Sakimoto soundtrack and the battle system is surprisingly fun and engaging.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Way too much unfair criticism when it launched, all centered on a single problem that was patched out after a week. The damage was done, though, and tons of people missed a really great game.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to echo Rune Factory 4, sooooo gooood and addicting.

runefactory4-final.jpg

I miss my farm... look at all those radishes! All those sandwiches I could make from them!!!

Rhythm Thief is pretty good. It has all the standard fixings of a rhythm game but with one wild-ass plot thrown over it.
While I appreciated the bonkers plot, I hated Rhythm Thief.
A good rhythm game recommendation however is Final Fantasy Theathrythm Curtain Call!

• The Mercenaries Saga trilogy is decent from what I heard and played the demo. It's a poor man's Final Fantasy Tactics but a solid one at that. It's also coming to Switch if you have one so I would wait.

It's already out on Switch, they even made a 4th game in the series! The saga and the new game are all on sale currently, get on that!

But now that you mention it, Adventure Bar Story is a very fun 3DS game nobody talks about. It's a mobile port, so expect a fun time waster:

Oct 27, 2017
Ever Oasis and Fantasy Life are the two best RPGs on the system.

Fantasy Life was hyped but immediately forgotten about (so I'd consider it a hidden gem by today's standards), while Ever Oasis was completely overshadowed by the Switch despite being an incredible game.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I would be completely swamped if I got several Streetpasses in a single day. Not enough time to use that many passes.

Clearly, you did not visit a gaming or anime convention during the height of 3DS' popularity. There, it was common to get well over 100 in a day. Worked wonders for making progress in Find Mii 2, Puzzle Swap, Warrior's Way, and Monster Manor, especially. Waiting on line? StreetPass games. Idle time? StreetPass games? Walking around? StreetPass games while trying not to crash into people.

Granted, you had to play as fast as you could (and skip Mii Force until the end of the day), otherwise it'd take too long and you'd miss a bunch. I basically had the R button held down the whole time, heh. Also, there weren't nearly as many StreetPass games available back then. At first it was just 2, then 6. By the time the others were added, things had started to slow down.

Of course, towards the end of the day, when you noticed that your gate was full, you had to go there, then go back to sleep mode. Your gate could then fill up again, so that when you got back to your hotel room, you had 20 tags ready to go.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
All of the Dragon Quest (the DS remakes included) titles are excellent and well worth the price point. However, one of my favorite fighting games on the console was the third entry in the Supersonic Warriors franchise. It's not as fast or technical as Fighterz but the attacks carry a lot of weight and all the moves are fun to watch.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly, you did not visit a gaming or anime convention during the height of 3DS' popularity. There, it was common to get well over 100 in a day. Worked wonders for making progress in Find Mii 2, Puzzle Swap, Warrior's Way, and Monster Manor, especially. Waiting on line? StreetPass games. Idle time? StreetPass games? Walking around? StreetPass games while trying not to crash into people.

Granted, you had to play as fast as you could (and skip Mii Force until the end of the day), otherwise it'd take too long and you'd miss a bunch. I basically had the R button held down the whole time, heh. Also, there weren't nearly as many StreetPass games available back then. At first it was just 2, then 6. By the time the others were added, things had started to slow down.

Of course, towards the end of the day, when you noticed that your gate was full, you had to go there, then go back to sleep mode. Your gate could then fill up again, so that when you got back to your hotel room, you had 20 tags ready to go.

I did, and you're proving my point. At some point you've gotta realize that you're not there to clear up your Streetpass queue, close your system, and "lose" the Streetpasses that you're passing by.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Monster Hunter Stories is one of the best JRPGs of recent years and flew under the radar last Autumn.

On top of that, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (turn-based strategy) Fantasy Life (JRPG based around developing a job, two thirds of which are non-combat) and Etrian Mystery Dungeon (roguelike dungeon crawl with EO classes) are some of my favourites that don't get regular discussions here.

SMT Strange Journey Redux and Etrian Odyssey IV/V are great dungeon crawls.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
All of the Dragon Quest (the DS remakes included) titles are excellent and well worth the price point. However, one of my favorite fighting games on the console was the third entry in the Supersonic Warriors franchise. It's not as fast or technical as Fighterz but the attacks carry a lot of weight and all the moves are fun to watch.

Don't sleep on Attack of Saiyans, the DS RPG, either.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology is phenomenal

Don't sleep on Rhythm Heaven Fever it's an eShop only title and it's incredible

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
I have to echo the recommendation of Pocket Card Jockey, one of my favourite games the year it released.

I also really enjoyed Nintendo Pocket Football Club, but you have to enjoy management sims to like that game.

Lastly, Theatrhythm Curtain Call is my second favourite rhythm game, just losing out to Elite Beat Agents (which I guess counts as a DS hidden gem).

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Came in to recommend this game. Especially if the OP is curious about the SaGa series but the obtuseness is a bit of a turn-off. It's SaGa and Suikoden thrown into a blender, with a Bravely style outer packaging. Plus, you get a penguin to join your party!

My thoughts here
Its incredible how good the start of the game is and how bad it becomes on the last 1/3 of the game, plot and mechanic wise (I didnt like the darkness mini dungeon grinding).