• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
A fucked up kid. You can't put pressure like that on a young person and expect them to keep it together. Especially with the screwed up parents he had.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I think he is a good character for all of his flaws, the vast majority of kids put in his situation would likely be equally messed up in various ways.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A messed up kid that unfortunately is thrown into an even more fucked up situation. His reactions are pretty much what you would expect if you were in his shoes.

Oct 27, 2017
A very flawed and interesting character. Also very relatable to me personally. I think people are far too hard on him, especially as he's portrayed in the series. He's often very kind, he does heroic stuff and he tries hard. Going by the internet reaction though you'd think he only gives up, mopes and creeps on people. He gets far too much hate, all of the characters in NGE are flawed.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Not someone I would leave the fate of the world to. Also jerk off into a sock or napkin and not your hand you messy bastard.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many people would like to be judged on how they were at 14?

Particularly one in the world in which he inhabits, and with the history of abuse he's endured?

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend listen to Folding Idea's video essay on EoE

but basically, Shinji is our surrogate/avatar. Anno's view on the toxic fandom changed between the end of the anime and EoE
And I don't think he is supposed to be likable. We can feel sorry about his situation but that doesn't mean he was a good person.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
He's a messed-up kid put into a traumatic situation, who doesn't have the maturity or tools to process or comprehend, and is surrounded by people who only see him as a tool to be used; a means to end. Nearly everyone around him only cares about what he can do for them, not about him personally. It's a pretty interesting character portrayal, especially for an anime.

(Also, the three main "kids" in the series are all fucked up in their own way, especially Asuka, who works as a thematic opposite of Shinji by being a child soldier who's really into this shit, but still a teenage girl who wants people to like her for who she is, instead of what she can do for them.)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Creepy sexist and a depressed incel.

I don't get this. He's still a kid that is still thrown into anime tropes of being in accidental situations. Someone mentioned that the one scene in EoE was to show that even in the middle of everything he tries to feel SOMETHING and even with... Asuka, he feels nothing, because he is so detached. He never really went after, nor had the desire to go after any of the girls, so the 'incel' comments are weird. If anything, most of the girls advanced on HIM and he would shy away anyways.

As a teenager I thought he was just a whiny brat even though I understood he had depression and was way in over his head.

As an adult I've grown to appreciate his character an actually see how unreasonable and fucked up everyone was to him. Plus I actually understand the final 2 episodes now, with Shinji rejecting instrumentality and realize he's literally the only character to actually grow stronger/better out of all of this (well, Rei too)

Yeah this was my take on it. Watching it when I was young, I hated Shinji and saw him as super annoying. Re-watched over 10 years later, and my views did indeed change. As annoying as he was, I could empathize a lot more. The kids are all 14, what would you do in his shoes? Be a good boy and pilot the Eva and then have NO problems when you see your friends get horribly injured when they are also piloting? Not everyone are the brave hero protags that will just hop in and be all OP and take down the bad guys. It was more grounded in reality with showing that characters GET HURT while fighting, and that can traumatize people.

There's a lot to the show to unpack... I noticed with Rebuild that it felt like his character was already tolerable. In those, he seemed to have a little more confidence in compared to the show. I wonder if this is also to reflect that Anno is no longer in the dark place that he used to be?

Last edited:

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely watch the Rebuild movies and get ready for the fuckery and beautiful production values.

I feel bad for Shinji because he is an emotionally abused child put in a terrible situation. It's frustrating to watch him because you want him to rise up above his circumstances and succeed, but his insecurities (and giant alien lifeforms and shadowy conspiracies) keep getting in the way.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
He was interesting... when it started. I get that the point of the story is about his refusal to change, but, by god, it's been what? 20 years? Of the same core characteristics? Honestly, it's just kinda boring now.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend listen to Folding Idea's video essay on EoE

but basically, Shinji is our surrogate/avatar. Anno's view on the toxic fandom changed between the end of the anime and EoE
And I don't think he is supposed to be likable. We can feel sorry about his situation but that doesn't mean he was a good person.

I like Dan Olson's videos and back before I actually watched EoE I liked this one too. Then I saw the movie for myself and realized how much he omits in order to convey a specific message. Anno wasn't lashing out at toxic fans - he was an otaku shut-in and in EoE he's still trying to reach out to otaku shut-ins. It's just now he's doing it more forcefully.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Most people forget or don't realize that the vast majority of mecha anime are power fantasies for little boys, primarily developed to sell a line of toys. Evangelion was a massive swerve.
Yeah, I only had a passing familiarity with it when it aired and afterward, but I never actually watched it until it aired on Netflix, and I was impressed by how much effort was put into it. It's fairly mature storytelling.

Like when the final Angel appears and instead of being some weird monster being, it's just a guy who shows empathy toward Shinji, and Shinji immediately clings to him like a drowning man to a life ring. Throughout the show, the Angels were trying different tacks to break into the HQ, and finally figured out at the end that all you need to do is extend some common humanity to the most emotionally vulnerable kid. But even then, does the Angel actually care about Shinji, or is he yet another person using Shinji as a means to an end?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
But even then, does the Angel actually care about Shinji, or is he yet another person using Shinji as a means to an end?

I have always seen Kaworu as someone who legitimately had human-like feelings for Shinji, but still knew he had a destiny to fulfill. If he was say, born as a human, I think he would still be drawn to Shinji. Always debatable if it is more romantic feelings or platonic, though (not that it will ever stop shippers :p)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I love him as a protagonist and I like him in the rebuilds as well, as a continuation of his arc from the series and EoE.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I think he is a good character for all of his flaws, the vast majority of kids put in his situation would likely be equally messed up in various ways.
it's the flaws that make him a good character. even back in the early 00's we used to say that people disliked shinji so much because they saw too much of themselves in him and that still holds true.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I think... he would be a good adult.

tECPOpj.png

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I love Shinji. Bless his soul. By the end I wanted to just hug him and tell him he can be whatever the fuck he wants and live a life he's happy with and in control. Then I would pat him on the back and give him the day off with his boyfriend. I would then proceed to roll up my sleeves and lay waste to NERV , Seele, and specially his parents....

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Shinji's cool, End of Evangelion sucks and is pointlessly nihilistic with multiple characters being overdramatic caricatures of themselves (Shinji being one of the worst).

Ep. 25/26 are the better ending.

That's the resolution you're looking for, OP.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I only had a passing familiarity with it when it aired and afterward, but I never actually watched it until it aired on Netflix, and I was impressed by how much effort was put into it. It's fairly mature storytelling.

Like when the final Angel appears and instead of being some weird monster being, it's just a guy who shows empathy toward Shinji, and Shinji immediately clings to him like a drowning man to a life ring. Throughout the show, the Angels were trying different tacks to break into the HQ, and finally figured out at the end that all you need to do is extend some common humanity to the most emotionally vulnerable kid. But even then, does the Angel actually care about Shinji, or is he yet another person using Shinji as a means to an end?
One thing I never really picked-up on when I was younger that I now understand as an adult was a specific element of Misato's relationship with Shinji. Over the years she'd managed to compartmentalize all the apocalyptic 2nd Impact bullshit she went through when she was Shinji's age, largely via unhealthy coping mechanisms in her disastrous private life, and now she's the surrogate parent of this train wreck of a kid having to fend off the 3rd Impact. She's forced to dig up the bones of her own lost youth and what she's become. Even moreso when that slimeball Kaji shows up.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
He's the lowest of the low.

In all seriousness, I found him sympathetic. He's a kid with unrealistic expectations thrust upon him and he's constantly forced to endure tons of fucked up shit with barely anyone around to support or guide him. It's honestly amazing he's able to find the resolve to reject Instrumentality in the end considering what he goes through.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the next rebuild movie has shinji get a good ending finally, or shinji killing his father.
The kid needs something good in his life.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
He's a young kid with obvious depression being repeatedly given PTSD by deeply toxic people who should be his support.

He never even had the chance to be better.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he's so fucked up and unlikable, and yet we're pulled in enough to empathize with him is a testament to how nuanced and multilayered the character and the story are. In the end, I think most people are an uncomfortable mix of both proud AND ashamed of Shinji. I guess that makes him a realistic character, since I think most people feel that way about themselves to an extent. Which is no small feat in a cartoon show/movie about giant robots fighting angel aliens.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I thought he was a whiny little bitch when I was younger

But watching NGE again after 10 years made me feel sorry for him, like what happened with Toji would fuck me up baaaaad

I fucking hated Asuka though

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Messed up kid doing his best

100% this. Born into a post-apocalyptic world, dead mother, abandoned by his father at 4 years old, sent to live with a reclusive and uncaring teacher for ten years, brought back into his father's life only for his use as a tool to facilitate Gendo's needs, put through fucking traumatic events and almost tortured psychologically at various times in the series. Misato, as good of a person as she is, is more of a roommate than a parent/guardian for most of the series and his fellow pilots and NERV staff offer very little in the way of emotional support. Between what happens with Toji/Asuka with Unit 03 and Kaworu, it's a wonder that Shinji didn't end up in the coma ward as well.

Shinji's a good kid who just needs some love and support. Hopefully Anno finally does him some justice in 4.0.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I want to first quote a post I wrote before.

---
Having heard about Eva and Shinji for decades yet only finally watching it for the Netflix release, I was really surprised to discover how much Shinji... doesn't suck.​
Like, I've heard for so many years how pathetic he is, how angsty, how much of a crybaby, how insufferable it is to watch this kid. Yet I was really struck by how, by the last episodes of Eva, pretty much the entire cast was gone for one reason or another. Either evacuated, or dead, or had a mental breakdown/suicide attempt, or whatever. Except for Shinji. He was utterly miserable, but he kept on trucking along... at least until End of Eva.​
I dunno. Like you said, I've heard that Shinji represents how a real kid would react to being thrown into a war, but he was way more heroic than that. Have you ever met a 14-year-old?​
--

Now let me give a specific example.

Ds_B4TqW0AAxDVj.jpg

I've heard so many "GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT!" memes over the years that I had a pretty specific idea in my mind of Shinji. He'd be like a scared cowardly crybaby who really doesn't want to get hurt and has to be convinced over and over again that they need him and he needs to do it to save people's lives and blah blah blah.

And that would be totally reasonable for a kid to feel. But that's not what happens.

On both occasions Shinji won't "get in the robot" (particularly the second time), it's a deliberate and purposeful statement by him. NERV is shitty and treats him like shit so he's leaving. It's a protest. Refusing to pilot is the only leverage he has, and the only way that he can meaningfully stand up for himself. And yet, like always, Shinji is in a horrible situation. Because standing up for himself like this means that people will die, and that would make him feel too guilty to actually let happen.

And Gendo knows this. Importantly, nobody ever tells him to "get in the robot". When Shinji says he's quitting, nobody stops him. "So long! Be sure to close the door on your way out." Then the next Angel attack arrives, and Shinji comes back with his tail between his legs. And Gendo, the shitty abusive asshole that he is, smirks, comments stuff like "I thought you quit", and forces Shinji to ask him "Please let me get in the robot".

The whole thing is a crazy power trip where Shinji is deliberately made to feel that he has no power or autonomy, and any hint of rebellion is ruthlessly squashed.

I imagined this situation:

But no. The Shinji I had in my head before I watched the series compared to the actual character could not be more different at times.

Admittedly, EoE Shinji is much closer to the meme version of Shinji, but... I don't really count that. EoE feels so meta, so obviously influenced by the perception and real-world impacts of Evangelion on Anno and the studio that I don't really count it. The original series, EoE, and the Rebuilds are three different canons to me.