• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Q90T and I'm looking for a good sound bar for PS5 gaming. Yes, I know "good" and sound bar are not words to generally mix, but I'd appreciate some help :)

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I just got the Samsung Q850 from Best Buy. It's just the Q800 with rear speakers. So far I'm digging it. I took back the LG SN9YG because I didn't care for the sound. But I'm contemplating taking back the Samsung to get the Vizio Elevate. But with more moving parts I'm afraid more likely to break.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
One that has wireless rear speakers.

Without it you are just getting virtual surround which 9/10 times sounds worse than 2.1

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Bose Solo 5 TV soundbar because I don't have a place for a subwoofer in an upstairs unit and don't want to aggravate our neighbors. It's pretty dang good. And reasonably priced.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I just got the Samsung Q850 from Best Buy. It's just the Q800 with rear speakers. So far I'm digging it. I took back the LG SN9YG because I didn't care for the sound. But I'm contemplating taking back the Samsung to get the Vizio Elevate. But with more moving parts I'm afraid more likely to break.
I picked up the Q850 from Best Buy a few months ago and really enjoy it FWIW. The main downside is the app is a pain to use. I couldn't get it to pair with Alexa (if you want that) and firmware updates required me to buy a micro USB thumbdrive. Other than that, I've liked it's surround sound.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I have the VIZIO 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar and I recommend it as a budget choice. You really can't go wrong with it at its price point of $500. If you wait until Black Friday, it will likely go on sale for $300, which it is a steal at that price. Sub is great, Atmos "effect" (since you can't really achieve true Atmos sound with a 5.1.2 soundbar setup), and gets louder than you'd ever need.

You start to get diminishing returns with soundbar setups after you get outside of the budget to mid range, so I would never advise to spend north of $1K for any soundbar. And please, let's not make this a thread about "make space" or how terrible soundbars are.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I picked up the Q850 from Best Buy a few months ago and really enjoy it FWIW. The main downside is the app is a pain to use. I couldn't get it to pair with Alexa (if you want that) and firmware updates required me to buy a micro USB thumbdrive. Other than that, I've liked it's surround sound.
It doesn't update through wifi?

I don't care about alexa.

The app is pretty bad. I hate that you have to catch the beginning of whatever your playing on the display to make sure it's atmos because nothing else says so.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a lot of great things about this JBL soundbar:

Amazon.com: JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers, Black (JBLBAR51BLK): Electronics

Buy JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers, Black (JBLBAR51BLK): Sound Bars - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

And the wireless surrounds that dock/undock seemlessly into the bar seem like a pretty neat feature in terms of keeping down on clutter.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a small space, I like my Sonos Beam w/ 2 wireless Ones in the back. Not top of the line, but certainly good enough for me

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
It says you can once you set it up through the app, but I couldn't get it to work.
I might have to check this out. I don't remember mine updating. I just assumed it did on its own with it connected to wifi.

I had an issue with 300 4k disc. The sound kept cracking. Netflix, Vudu and another disc seemed fine. So I returned 300 and have another being shipped to me. The reviews for the atmos track have been good so Im hoping it was a faulty disc.

Dec 4, 2018
I am also looking at sound bars. They have them all laying about around Best Buy on sale. Didn't see any of them with back speakers. I would like the back speakers now that I hear more about it.

My budget is 500 - 650 (maybe 700.) I have Samsung KS8000 (US ver) which I'm contemplating switching out for an LG CX or Samsung Q90T for next gen console features.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot of great things about this JBL soundbar:

Amazon.com: JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers, Black (JBLBAR51BLK): Electronics

Buy JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers, Black (JBLBAR51BLK): Sound Bars - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

And the wireless surrounds that dock/undock seemlessly into the bar seem like a pretty neat feature in terms of keeping down on clutter.
that does look nice. my TV has EARC but this soundbar apparently doesnt :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
that does look nice. my TV has EARC but this soundbar apparently doesnt :(

its a big gap right now with many/most soundbars. Is the lack of space for a receiver/amp or for speakers? My 5.1 just has satellite speakers which sit in a row under my TV - L/R pushed out to the corners but otherwise pretty close together. And then rears on the wall behind me. Works great and takes up barely any more space than a soundbar (possibly less than some of the big soundbars).

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I am also looking at sound bars. They have them all laying about around Best Buy on sale. Didn't see any of them with back speakers. I would like the back speakers now that I hear more about it.

My budget is 500 - 650 (maybe 700.) I have Samsung KS8000 (US ver) which I'm contemplating switching out for an LG CX or Samsung Q90T for next gen console features.
There's a vizio that's $500 and has rear speakers. The few reviews I read were good.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread, OP. I am in the same boat as you and I have the same budget.

I'm leaning towards that 5.1.2 vizio set up atm.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I can recommend the Sony ZTF9 soundbar with a sub plus the fitting rear speakers. Sound is good and it also got a firmware update for eArc support.

Only gripe I have with it are some handshake issues with PS4 but nothing that's too bad.

There may be a newer model by now though or better options, not sure.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If you have a big budget, the Samsung HW-Q950T is pretty much the best soundbar on the market, with it's DTS X / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 setup, thanks to it's 2 rear wireless speakers, for a true surround setup.

The Vizio SB36512-F6 is a decent mid range option too.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
HT enthusiasts tend to shit on them I notice.

You obvously can't compare it to a 5.1 system, but many sound-bars are a huge upgrade on TV speakers.

The reason they get shit on is because you could spend the same amount of money on a 2.1 or even 2.0 system that would sound better. The main argument for a sound bar is space savings.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You could get some decent sound-bars with rear wireless speakers around that price range. Vizio pretty much has that price point on lockdown.

I have an older 5.1 Vizio that works well. I've seen deals for the 5.1.4 atmos for under $500. Will probably get cheaper once their 2020 elevate bar gets released too.

I've heard good things about nakamichi but I find the bar really ugly lol

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use a Sony HT-X8500 with my Bravia and that thing supports Atmos, has a good sound and integrated subwoofer. It also looks sleek as hell.

59833381e580c3d676e8340df6a5be59

The Azn One

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have a Vizio SB36514-G6 36" 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos soundbar. Legit this soundbar is really good. Paid around $350 while it was on sale back in June. Retail prob $499 as of today.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a small space, I like my Sonos Beam w/ 2 wireless Ones in the back. Not top of the line, but certainly good enough for me
Another vote for Sonos. You can also pair the IKEA Symfonisk as rear speakers which can often be had for a bit less than the Ones and in my opinion look way nicer.

I can't imagine I'll ever go back to wired surrounds. Sonos just makes it too easy and the sound is great.

Dec 4, 2018
There's a vizio that's $500 and has rear speakers. The few reviews I read were good.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just realized I'm not sure where I would put the sub-woofer with the speakers next to them. (The back speakers must be connected to the sub-woofer.) I'm starting to think back speakers might not be an option.

I thinking we should also specify the shapes of our living spaces in addition to budget. BRB... making a floor plan to link here.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Any soundbar would be an upgrade from TV speakers. Ideally you get soundbars that can do true 5.1 (or more), either via additional surround speakers or integrated speakers from the bar that "bounces" the sound around your room so that sound comes from behind. The former means extra wires (since you need to hook the speakers to power even if they are wireless) and the latter only works if your room has the right acoustics.

Maybe start from here to see what choices are out there: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/best/by-type/5-1

If you just want a quick recommendation then just get a Vizio.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Sonos Arc for a little over a month. It supports Dolby Atmos. I've thrown UHD movies at it, Netflix, gaming (Xbox has quite a few Atmos supported games), and everything sounds incredible. I'd definitely recommend it if you can find one. Sonos is having a hard time keeping them in stock. I've got the Gen 3 sub to go with it as well. Only piece(s) I'm missing are the rear speakers (One SLs), but I even then, the bar and sub sound incredible with what I've thrown at it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Sonos Arc for a little over a month. It supports Dolby Atmos. I've thrown UHD movies at it, Netflix, gaming (Xbox has quite a few Atmos supported games), and everything sounds incredible. I'd definitely recommend it if you can find one. Sonos is having a hard time keeping them in stock. I've got the Gen 3 sub to go with it as well. Only piece(s) I'm missing are the rear speakers (One SLs), but I even then, the bar and sub sound incredible with what I've thrown at it.
My problem with the Sonos is the lack of support for DTS and LPCM.