• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
It was "almost complete" all the way back in 2015. Knowing that it was a brand new Wii U title developed by Nintendo, it probably had a bunch of dual screen gimmicks that wouldn't work on the Switch and needed redesigning. Although, it still should've surfaced by now.

Yea, I think Pikmin 4 is a case of will happen, but it surely went back to the drawing board after being cancelled for Wii U. But I wouldn't count it to the games here, it never got properly announced.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I haven't kept up too much, what's going on with Level 5?
All their mobile projects fail, Yo-Kai Watch does not sell 25% of what it used to do, they have widespread delays that have caused them to have to reboot Inazuma Eleven twice, their Ni No Kuni movie was a huge box office failure in Japan.

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
The original idea of Skull & Bones has definitely been canceled.
I hope that they realized no one wanted to play as a ship, like World of Tanks, and decided to do a spiritual sequel to Black Flag, instead.
Expanding on the Pirate aspect of it, and eliminating all the assassiny stuff.
Well that's a bummer, I loved what I saw from that game and I definitely want to see it released.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The original idea of Skull & Bones has definitely been canceled.
I hope that they realized no one wanted to play as a ship, like World of Tanks, and decided to do a spiritual sequel to Black Flag, instead.
Expanding on the Pirate aspect of it, and eliminating all the assassiny stuff.
I have to say I didn't pay much attention but I always assumed it was multiplayer Black Flag with all AC stuff taken out. So you are captian of your ship but also you can go to towns and deserted islands.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Deep Down: announced seven years ago, the last news we had were, to quote Ono, "the game has not been completely given up on", which sounds like what one would say right before turning it into a mobile gacha or pachinko. :D

quibbler

Nov 11, 2017
Elden Ring.

Bait is thrown, now we wait till someone confirms it's still under development and the full reveal is likely soon.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder if that one will transition to a F2P model eventually.
Not sure if multiplayer is a component at all in the game, but if there is, i can see that happening.

Not sure why, but I kinda get that feeling from that game. Like if they ever want it to release it'll need to be in early access, and they might as well go for the Sea of Theives or Warframe model of continually improving it over time.
They've shown off 2 person co-op for it, but it didn't seem to be a big focus. I don't see it being F2P but I could see it getting released in some kind of "early access" format.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy Versus XIII?

Kingdom_Hearts_III_ReMind_Logo_KHIIIR.png

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
The sequel to Barkey Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

2012: Kickstarter is launched and is successful, game is given a release window of late 2013 or early 2014.
2016: Devs confirm that their Kickstarter funds have been depleted (despite making well over their initial funding goal).
2019: Devs confirm that only two staff members are left on the project, neither of them people who worked on the original game.

It still hasn't been officially cancelled, but c'mon.

Yeah...
I backed this and Unsung Story, urgh.
People mentioned earlier in this thread that the Unsung Story Devs still frequently give updates, but it's square grid based now instead of hexagons and looks NOTHING like the game from the pitch. It's a game I'll get free eventually for having backed a completely different pitch from a different team years ago.
Just keeping the name doesn't mean the original game isn't dead.

And speaking of dead:

header.jpg

RIP Mineko's Night Market, we hardly knew you.

utsugioffice

Oct 12, 2019
In your mind
probably metroid prime 4, seeing as it got announced in 2017, scrapped to be reworked back in 2019 and we haven't heard anything about its development since. fingers crossed, though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's hard to not be a little worried about Bayonetta 3 after Scalebound was canceled and now COVID-19.

SMTV to an extent as well but Atlus's woes with HD development are well known.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Why I don't think it's cancelled, I think Bayonetta 3 might be in development hell and could end up in the bin.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 3 is not going to get cancelled simply because it's Bayonetta. Platinum and its fans love the series too much to see that happen.

Now, will the Bayonetta 3 we get be the one they envisioned when it was announced in 2017? Probably not.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Sure are a lot of Nintendo games being mentioned here despite Nintendo generally not being a company that cancels games.

utsugioffice

Oct 12, 2019
In your mind
You think it's cancelled because we haven't heard from it in a little over a year??
nah, it's just in my experience following game development, when a game has to be rebuilt from the ground up, it either never sees the light of day or it comes out several years later than expected.
fingers crossed as i said earlier, but given how back in 2017 all we got was the logo i'm assuming we will not hear much for a while

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
SpaceVenture seems like a weird thing to still care about, but it pops up in my mind from time to time.

I was always interested in this adventure with very 16-bit gorgeous environments and personality, Octopus City Blues, it seems like it really ain't coming anymore.

https://ghost-in-a-bottle.itch.io/octopus-city-blues

Edit: Whoa, they actually posted some progress though:

Last edited:

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Since people keep mentioning Skull and Bones... Ubisoft are a publicly traded company. By law they are required to announce all business impacting decisions, such as canceling a project, the same time that is announced internally.

Unless they want to risk going to prison for potential insider trading, they have not cancelled the project, as otherwise the public would have been told about that.
All their mobile projects fail, Yo-Kai Watch does not sell 25% of what it used to do, they have widespread delays that have caused them to have to reboot Inazuma Eleven twice, their Ni No Kuni movie was a huge box office failure in Japan.

Ah. Yikes. It's too bad Ni no Kuni II wasn't a better game. I feel like if they had done better with that, like the first one, it'd have a longer tail, for sales.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Scorn

They haven't updated their Kickstarter page in god knows how long, and things were shaky as fuck even before the pandemic. Now I just assume they've taken peoples' cash and run.
Yeah. I thought about this game the other day because I remembered EZA pushing it pretty hard when it was announced. It looked like it had a lot of potential. Bummer.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
nah, it's just in my experience following game development, when a game has to be rebuilt from the ground up, it either never sees the light of day or it comes out several years later than expected.

I mean…yeah. Nobody's expecting it to be released at the same time the version announced in 2017 was originally planned to be delivered. Exactly zero people in Nintendo threads are like "MP4 is totes coming out in 2020, amirite?!"

That doesn't mean that it's cancelled, any more than it means FFVIIR (which also switched development studios and was released years later than originally anticipated) was cancelled.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Don't if anyone remembers it, but a game called Seasons of Heaven, which was announced in 2016 as a Switch exclusive, and was quite reported back then.
It's been awhile since they last talked about it. I think it's either in development hell or canned. Which is sad, that game was beautiful to see.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Babylons Fall
Bayonetta 3
Beyond Good & Evil 2
Death Loop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Psychonauts 2

These all need to be reconfirmed.