• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
How do people recommend dubs in 2017 goddamn.
Current dubs are good to great. Alot of the stuff on Funimation is really good. I prefer some dubs, some now are on par with the original. Attack on Titan is a really good dub for example. Recently watched Lodoss War and Vision of Escaflowne both were great especially Escaflowne which they re-did the dub recently.

One dub which is questionable for me currently is Pokemon (not done by Funimation) but not for the voice acting. For some bizarre reason the music in Pokemon is replaced with stock music. My guess is the dub team wants to feel like they are doing something.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Only nostalgia can make people think this is the case. The american dub is horrendous.
Your opinion on the subject would hold more weight of you didn't already admit to not liking any dubs.

Though right now i can't really debate you on the subject because you aren't giving me the whys on why you hate dubs so much... I can tell you as someone who grew up with anime of the 80's and 90's, and having been a part of many anime sub groups since the 00's... Dubs are absolutely a great way to experience many series, especially for the more casual fans. They have never been better today, and they certainly were far far far far worse before.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you are in the USA, there isn't really a need to sign up for a specific Anime Streaming service. Subscribe to VRV, then link that account to your Crunchyroll and Funimation accounts (to get access to the entire libraries). If you have Netflix you already have their Anime Library. Same with Hulu. If you have Amazon Prime you are half of the way there for Amazon Anime as you just need to subscribe to Anime Strike (which while the service is mediocre, they are picking up some good shows season after season)

Though if you are on a budget, and you want the best bang for your buck I'd personally rank these Services in order of best-value.
1: VRV (and Link Account to Crunchyroll and Funimation)
1.5: (If VRV is not available). Crunchyroll(Subs) then Funimation(Dubs), or vice versa depending on preference
2: Amazon Prime + Anime Strike
3: Netflix
4: Hulu

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
VRV. You get most of funimation and all of Crunchyroll. If you're also interested in things outside of anime, you get Shudder and Mubi for free. You also get some other channels too.

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017
VRV. You get most of funimation and all of Crunchyroll. If you're also interested in things outside of anime, you get Shudder and Mubi for free. You also get some other channels too.
You get Shudder for free?! Or is it included once you are paying for VRV? If I link my Crunchyroll account to VRV will I get Shudder with out having to pay for anything other than my Crunchyroll subscription?

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
You get Shudder for free?! Or is it included once you are paying for VRV? If I link my Crunchyroll account to VRV will I get Shudder with out having to pay for anything other than my Crunchyroll subscription?
If you are currently subscribed to Crunchyroll, you'll need to cancel that and sign up for VRV to get all the VRV channels.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I used to be fine with subs only. Then I had kids. No matter how terrible the dub is, they still do a much better job than me reading the subtitles out loud for my son.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Here are a couple of codes for 48hr premium guest passes on crunchyroll if anyone wants em..

BXGKMSJR48L
LH4UZ3LLGMC

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't figured out what benefit VRV brings to me, as someone who is already subbed to both CR and Funi.

What are the advantages of using VRV's service over those two? Is it cheaper? Do I get more access to stuff?

I've also got two $10 gift cards from Loot Crate, and wondering what those can be used for as well.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Only nostalgia can make people think this is the case. The american dub is horrendous.

I grew up watching the dub, so it sounds better to me. I tried watching the sub of DB Super before Funi started putting up the dub and I just couldn't, I didn't like the Japanese voices at all.

I think years of horrors have brought the standards lower.

Dubs are mostly good now. The days of stuff like the 4Kids abominations are over.

I still haven't figured out what benefit VRV brings to me, as someone who is already subbed to both CR and Funi.

What are the advantages of using VRV's service over those two? Is it cheaper? Do I get more access to stuff?

I've also got two $10 gift cards from Loot Crate, and wondering what those can be used for as well.

VRV is like $10 a month and get you access to most of Crunchyroll and Funimation, it also gives you access to other "channels" like Shudder, Dramafever, etc. Plus it rolls everything into one app and you don't have to deal with the awful Funimation app.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I only sub to Crunchyroll as it's the most accessible in the UK. Wish there was a way to disable autoplay though, so annoying when you're watching in bed and fall asleep.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for confirming my fears.

(And by the way they watch anime so they are weebs by definition)

No need to be purist. Everyone has their own preferences. I personally can count on my hand the number of animes that I think have acceptable dubs but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them. I'd rather people watch and enjoy a dub then get turned off entirely by reading subtitles.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
No need to be purist. Everyone has their own preferences. I personally can count on my hand the number of animes that I think have acceptable dubs but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them. I'd rather people watch and enjoy a dub then get turned off entirely by reading subtitles.

giphy.gif

I swear it gets so annoying whenever these kinds of threads come up and there's gotta be at least one that HAS to do the whole elitist routine.

"Ugh DUBS. But why? They're so beneath me"
"All dubs are awful"
"REAL anime fans watch sub"

Can we just appreciate each other's preferences?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, would you happen to know if I get access to the HxH manga with CR/VRV?
Crunchyroll's manga catalog is completely separate from their anime offerings. I think it's mostly Kodansha stuff. HxH is a weekly shonen jump manga, and all the Jump stuff (and most shueisha stuff in general) is handled by Viz media.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's $10 a month for both of those "channels" as well as a bunch of others, which is cheaper than a funi sub and and a crunchyroll sub combined. VRV is missing a small number of shows from them, but since you can link VRV to the crunchyroll account and just use the crunchyroll app as a normal premium member, it's really not a loss unless you wanted to watch one of those shows it's missing dubbed

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I personally just use Crunchyroll as my main source of basically all shows now. The wife and I have been going through Gintama over the last few months and it's just so good, on top of the new anime every week that is.
Netflix is the rare occasions for it's exclusives.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's $10 a month for both of those "channels" as well as a bunch of others, which is cheaper than a funi sub and and a crunchyroll sub combined. VRV is missing a small number of shows from them, but since you can link VRV to the crunchyroll account and just use the crunchyroll app as a normal premium member, it's really not a loss unless you wanted to watch one of those shows it's missing dubbed

So with an active VRV account I can still use CR's apps like normal? Does it retain my queue list and show progress?

Also, is there a list of what shows are missing?

And does it also release new episodes at the same time CR and Funi do on their respective apps?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So with an active VRV account I can still use CR's apps like normal? Does it retain my queue list and show progress?

Also, is there a list of what shows are missing?

And does it also release new episodes at the same time CR and Funi do on their respective apps?
You have to link your account, but yes (Since it's just linking the accounts, you'll still use the same crunchyroll account and thus keep your queue and such). I don't know the full list (The one show I do know is missing on VRV is One Piece off the top of my head. I heard that on the funi side the older dragonball shows, but not super, are also missing)

As for updating, it should at the very least update at a similar time (it might be a bit slower, I still usually use Crunchyroll's site or app when I want to watch crunchyroll shows)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have to link your account, but yes (Since it's just linking the accounts, you'll still use the same crunchyroll account and thus keep your queue and such). I don't know the full list (The one show I do know is missing on VRV is One Piece off the top of my head. I heard that on the funi side the older dragonball shows, but not super, are also missing)

As for updating, it should at the very least update at a similar time (it might be a bit slower, I still usually use Crunchyroll's site or app when I want to watch crunchyroll shows)

Well so much for that idea.

One Piece has been my Sunday night routine for years now.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Well so much for that idea.

One Piece has been my Sunday night routine for years now.
You can just link your CR account to VRV and watch it that way. Once you link, you get the same benefits a premium CR member would have. You can use the same apps, website, etc.

Might be a dumb question but I have to ask... Do any of these subs let you download them as well???

VRV recently introduced downloads for offline play. Couldn't tell you how well it works since I don't use it myself but it's there.

Last edited:

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Did you sit and watch this thread so you could respond to the one person who took your bait instead of engaging with anyone else that responded to you?

I have nothing against western voice acting, but yes I am a purist when it comes to dubbing. Every movie and series (not just anime) should be consumed with the original recording. It doesn't make me cooler when listening japanese (that I cannot even understand) but at the same time it doesn't make you less of a weeb if you choose the dubbing :b

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Funimation is for North America only. Reminder that people exist outside of America.

Oct 26, 2017
I use crunchyroll. Do be wary if you're not located in the US as there are a ton of properties for which they do not have the licensing for other regions.
Though this is something that can be worked around.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing against western voice acting, but yes I am a purist when it comes to dubbing. Every movie and series (not just anime) should be consumed with the original recording. It doesn't make me cooler when listening japanese (that I cannot even understand) but at the same time it doesn't make you less of a weeb if you choose the dubbing :b

This is silly though... Anime is is almost always the product of another medium (manga, LN, or VN). Almost always the original creator has no say or very little say in casting, voice direction, or even the script.

Dub no more hurts the original intent and feeling than the process of converting them to an anime to begin with.

(Side note, I'm okay to agree to disagree on this and i do thank you for actually discussing the issues you have with it :))

As I've said before, there was a 4 year span of my life where i helped fansub a ton of anime for different groups. Though I'm glad in this day and age for things like simuldubs and subs from legitimate companies. It's amazing how far anime has come from when a license to dub only could be 18 months.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That anime is a separate product, complete with director, writers, actors and artists even if it's based on manga or other mediums.

And sure some dubs are probably just as good as the original, but I'm not taking that risk since I can enjoy the original cast and use subs.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I prefer the original VO too, mostly because I don't understand a lick of Japanese (despite living there on and off for the past decade). Even if the acting is bad, it still sounds "genuine" to my untrained ears.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I've been considering subscribing to FunimationNow and the only thing that scares me off is the quality of the apps for playback.

But the landscape has changed since the Crunchyroll/Funimation split.
VRV has Crunchyroll and added HiDIVE but no Funimation
Crunchyroll no longer has a bunch of subbed Funimation shows (my watchlist, which I was never really going to ever get through, took a massive hit)
Amazon seems like they slowed down licensing when STRIKE went away, but it's hard to tell because it's almost impossible to find things using their search

Any thoughts on how "worth it" FunimationNow is?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You get Funimation for their back catalog or if you prefer dubs. Otherwise, Crunchyroll/VRV continues to be the best value especially if you want to see the new stuff each season. And at this point, they have a pretty huge back catalog themselves.

Figure out what you want to watch and just check what they have.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I've been considering subscribing to FunimationNow and the only thing that scares me off is the quality of the apps for playback.

But the landscape has changed since the Crunchyroll/Funimation split.
VRV has Crunchyroll and added HiDIVE but no Funimation
Crunchyroll no longer has a bunch of subbed Funimation shows (my watchlist, which I was never really going to ever get through, took a massive hit)
Amazon seems like they slowed down licensing when STRIKE went away, but it's hard to tell because it's almost impossible to find things using their search

Any thoughts on how "worth it" FunimationNow is?

Isn't Hulu going to get everything from Funimation soon anyway

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm subbed the the following:
VRV
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Funimation (pay yearly so it's cheaper)
HiDive (Got in when it was $3.99 and even if it's in VRV i don't really see a reason to cancel)
Hulu (free with Sprint)

If you want to cover the most bases go VRV and Funimation. Funi is $5 a month if paid yearly and VRV is $10 and includes Crunchyroll and HiDive.

You're only left out of Netflix and Amazon at that point. Many people sub to them anyway for other reasons.