• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I've got crunchy and funi. I watch subs so I really feel like I'm wasting money on keeping funi. The offerings seem the same.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I've had a Crunchy subscription for years, in the past I've gotten short-term Hulu or Funi subs if there was enough on those services I was interested in watching. I'm not watching nearly as much recently so I haven't needed any other services.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Funimation personally, I find their catalogue of older stuff more appealing because I'm not crazy on a lot of the newer anime.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Crunchyroll is the obvious one but this VRV service I can get both CR and Funimation through it? Also VRV is supposed to have Legends of the Galactic Heroes which I've been meaning to watch for a long time but does it have Roku TV/console apps like CR? Any advice appreciated!

I think i can help you out with this since I also have a Roku TV.

VRV is going to get you the most bang for your buck because not only do you get majority of the catalog from Crunchyroll and Funimation, but you also get a free Crunchyroll Premium Membership along with it, so any Crunchyroll Content it misses out on you can use the CR app for.

With that said, both VRV and CR have a really obnoxious bug on the Roku TV where just about any brand new series will not play on the app. It will freeze at the "retrieving" loading screen and not play. It's been a problem for a long time, and Ellation has not yet fixed it.

FunimationNow is a good go-to app if you're more interested in English Dubs. Their app also used to be pretty bad, but they've been doing major updates through it throughout the year and now it runs pretty great. Since you're just getting into anime, another perk here is Funimation is the only English Distributor that has started to dub anime as they air in Japan, so that is also nice.

HiDIVE is Sentai Filmworks' new(ish) streaming service. Their service lets you get access to both their subs and dubs of their catalogs. They've also recently added some oldschool stuff to their catalog like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Space Runaway Ideon. The downside here is since it is still new, right now they only have a Web Browser Player and apps for IOS and Androids. They plan to launch apps for streaming devices and consoles throughout next year.

Anime Strike is a mistake.

Finally there's Hulu. Hulu has a pretty damn large catalog and also does a few simulcasts for the more popular titles of the season airing in Japan.

What the... neither Funimation or Crunchyroll has the HxH dub?! Does anybody?

Exclusive to Toonami & Adult Swims website. Good rule of thumb is, if an English Dub premiers on Toonami, it means it will be a while before it is available for streaming.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Early this year Crunchyroll murdered their streaming bitrates and it has kind of sucked ever since.
m4iQhMM.jpg

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
HiDive looks real interesting on account of featuring classics like Ideon and Legend of the Galactic Heroes along with newer stuff like Girls und Panzer and Log Horizon.

However, some of that doesn't seem to apply in Europe, which is another problem with Crunchyroll discouraging me from giving them money.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
HiDive looks real interesting on account of featuring classics like Ideon and Legend of the Galactic Heroes along with newer stuff like Girls und Panzer and Log Horizon.

However, some of that doesn't seem to apply in Europe, which is another problem with Crunchyroll discouraging me from giving them money.
Yup, anime and manga rights are a mess when your are outside the US.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Eh I always recommend Hulu plus as an alternative to crunchyroll as they have a pretty good seclection too and you get regular shows and movies as well.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
So hold on. Funimation has dub for all of it's series? I don't mind subs but I prefer to have the dub version because my wife hates sub.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So hold on. Funimation has dub for all of it's series? I don't mind subs but I prefer to have the dub version because my wife hates sub.

The dubs are very atrocious in my opinion. Lots of out of place references and whatnot. I'd rather the characters not randomly bring up stuff like Gamergate and Donald Trump

HiDive has Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That's all that matters.

Did they sub it themselves or steal from CentralAnime?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if all the series they've ever done, but certainly a very large chunk. They actually have an agreement with Crunchyroll right now - CR get to do subs, Funimation do dubs, rather than before where Funimation put out both subs and dubs, often keeping CR from having the former.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Funimation dubs about 95% of whatever anime they license. They have a few sub-only licenses in their catalog but chances are if there's an anime you want to watch on their app, it's going to have a dub for it.

One thing to keep in mind though is that with their business partnership with Crunchyroll, they've actually been slowly moving their subs over onto Crunchyroll, so if say, you want to watch something like D-Frag or Assassination Classroom subbed on Funimation, that's not going to be available.

The only notable thing they don't actually stream on their service is DBZ Kai (I think Adult Swim has that exclusively for the time being) and Nichijou.

OP
OP
Ashby

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sounds like VRV is the way to go to have all your bases covered then.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
If VRV wasn't US only it would be better, otherwise I just have Crunchyroll.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I've got no clue. I hadn't even heard of HiDive until I searched LotGH and saw that it was streaming somewhere legally. Or, at least, I think it is legal. Does HiDive have a history of stealing from subbing groups?

It's legal - they have an official partnership with Sentai Filmworks and everything (looked into this today). Apparently it might be related to some previous service called 'The Anime Network'?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if all the series they've ever done, but certainly a very large chunk. They actually have an agreement with Crunchyroll right now - CR get to do subs, Funimation do dubs, rather than before where Funimation put out both subs and dubs, often keeping CR from having the former.

Funimation dubs about 95% of whatever anime they license. They have a few sub-only licenses in their catalog but chances are if there's an anime you want to watch on their app, it's going to have a dub for it.

One thing to keep in mind though is that with their business partnership with Crunchyroll, they've actually been slowly moving their subs over onto Crunchyroll, so if say, you want to watch something like D-Frag or Assassination Classroom subbed on Funimation, that's not going to be available.

The only notable thing they don't actually stream on their service is DBZ Kai (I think Adult Swim has that exclusively for the time being) and Nichijou.

Thanks a lot for the info there. I think it's going to have to be mostly dubs for me moving forward. So I'm looking into funimation right now actually.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks a lot for the info there. I think it's going to have to be mostly dubs for me moving forward. So I'm looking into funimation right now actually.

Sounds good. Not sure if you also have Netflix, but they've been upping the ante with producing new anime series as well, and have been getting the licenses to a lot of popular series, so that can be another solid source for dubbed anime.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Crunchyroll/VRV also gives you access to a ton of manga as well. From a casual anime fan perspective, CR/VRV is the undisputed champion. If you're a hardcore anime watcher, you'll have to do some research on where the series you want and where they are.

OP
OP
Ashby

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crunchyroll/VRV also gives you access to a ton of manga as well. From a casual anime fan perspective, CR/VRV is the undisputed champion. If you're a hardcore anime watcher, you'll have to do some research on where the series you want and where they are.
Oooh, would you happen to know if I get access to the HxH manga with CR/VRV?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The dubs are very atrocious in my opinion. Lots of out of place references and whatnot. I'd rather the characters not randomly bring up stuff like Gamergate and Donald Trump

I've been watching a ton of dubs on there, the only stuff where they really rewrite the dialog is stuff like Hetalia, and Shin Chan. I did hear about the Gamergate reference. Ultimate Otaku Teacher rewrote stuff, but it was for the better. The main character sounded so BORING in Japanese. Him quoting stuff like Zelda and "Gotta go fast" fit and really adds to the experience. It made sense because he was a huge nerd. Otherwise I think the minor changes to the dubs are for the better. It just clicks with you more and makes it fun and easy to binge watch.

Cool man, not sure what you and your wife are into but if you're wondering what to check out first there's My Hero Academia, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Space Dandy (if you haven't seen it yet), New Game (a bit fanservicey but my sister and I absolutely loved it.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oooh, would you happen to know if I get access to the HxH manga with CR/VRV?

Just took a look and I'm sorry to say, no HxH manga on the CrunchyManga app. But Crunchy/VRV does have the anime. And would also recommend the VRV service. Like others have said, link it with Crunchyroll and you get the entire CR library. Hulu has quite a few to choose from as well.

OP
OP
Ashby

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just took a look and I'm sorry to say, no HxH manga on the CrunchyManga app. But Crunchy/VRV does have the anime. And would also recommend the VRV service. Like others have said, link it with Crunchyroll and you get the entire CR library. Hulu has quite a few to choose from as well.
Yeah, I'll be pulling the trigger on VRV shortly. Thanks for checking!

OP
OP
Ashby

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the UC OVAs available between Funi and CR? I have the 0079 Movie Trilogy and Zeta Blu-Rays but it would be cool to access to 0080, MS 08th Team, etc.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, this happened in what, maybe three dubs total?

Pretty outlandish to blanket all Funimation dubs as "very atrocious".

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There are plenty of great dubs on their site but these were done by other companies that are mostly dead now.

I didn't know Steins;Gate, My Hero Academy, Dragon Ball Super, 91 Days, Space Dandy, Barakamon, School Rumble, Desert Punk, Yu Yu Hakusho were all done by Funimation.

Yep, Funimation has never made a good dub on their own.

But seriously, these hot-takes are hilarious.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still drives me insane that there is no way to watch DBZ in its original aspect ratio, subbed with good image quality at a reasonable price anywhere!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I subscribe to Funimation and find it really great value.
They've recently started adding Space Battleship Yamamoto 2199 (They use the Starblazers name for it on the listings) and Phoenix Wright at a rate of 1 episode a week which I was really happy to see.
And of course they've started adding the Dragonball Super dub at long last!
All of Dragonball/Z/GT is on there too, though sadly Z lacks the Faulconer soundtrack and only has the original soundtrack available even on the dub.

The PS4 app is a lot better than it used to be, though still not great. And the website can be a bit difficult to navigate that's for sure.

I've no idea what their Android app is like though as I live in the UK, and the app isn't available in our appstore. I could just track down the APK I suppose but then it just becomes troublesome to keep up to date outside of an app store. (And even the website/PS4 app I have to access through either VPN or a DNS service)

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have VRV and you can link your account to crunchroll for premium membership. There is actually no reason not to get VRV if you want both CR and Funimation.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
How do people recommend dubs in 2017 goddamn.
Because we grew up with 80's and 90's anime and thus actually understand what a bad dub is versus having a personal preference to reading over other valid options.

I do about 50/50 depending on the series and what i plan on doing (subs requires more attention since you can't read if you aren't facing the screen, but can still hear fine)