• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, the rest of Brotherhood is my ideal anime, I love it so fucking much. It's almost perfect.

I just wish those first 9 episodes had more room to breathe. I almost feel like I would rather watch those episodes from 2003, then jump into Brotherhood. The change in art would be jarring but at least the impact of Nina and Hughes would be better felt.
Honesty other than being HD I think the 2003 anime still looks better.

Brotherhood's backgrounds look like smeared shit, and they overuse the SD character models.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gantz gantz gantz gantz gantz gantz gantz. The first anime it got was good but ended far before the manga did and they gave it some weird non-canon ending. A modern anime of Gantz is literally the perfect candidate, can cover the full story and give new people a chance to get into it.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely +1 on the Trigun and Karekano suggestions, much as I enjoy both of their original anime adaptations.

I also want another Ranma anime, but admittedly I'd be fine with a Final Act version. Just wish more of the series could have been adapted... But instead, Inuyasha's apparently getting a sequel series for some reason...

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I also thought the problem a lot of people had with Crystal is that it adheres to the manga too closely and people prefer the characterization from the anime?
The problem? No.

crystal-fail-1.png
crystal-fail-3.png
crystal-fail-10.jpg

There were many complaints about Crystal, the biggest being the sloppy animation in it's first two seasons. Animation, pacing, characterization, pacing, pacing, pacing. Here's a good summary.

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Sailor Moon again. Not a fan of Crystal.

And yeah Kare Kano is another good one. The manga was fantastic till the end.

Sailor Moon could go further than Brotherhood, and into full TMNT territory where a retelling takes elements of the '91 story and does something different with it. After Crystal, it might as well go this route.

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely +1 on the Trigun and Karekano suggestions, much as I enjoy both of their original anime adaptations.

I also want another Ranma anime, but admittedly I'd be fine with a Final Act version. Just wish more of the series could have been adapted... But instead, Inuyasha's apparently getting a sequel series for some reason...

Well, Ranma did get that live action special a few years back. Too bad it was horribly homophobic and just bad in general.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'm still mad that Houshin Engi/Soul Hunter had another chance to be properly adapted into an anime and they fucked it up again.

Low chance it gets a third shot, but I want it to.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi should get another anime covering the entire manga too.

Edit: Oh shit I said the exact same thing in that last topic too 😂

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Sailor Moon could go further than Brotherhood, and into full TMNT territory where a retelling takes elements of the '91 story and does something different with it. After Crystal, it might as well go this route.
God yes, TMNT 2012 was so unbelievably good. 2003 TMNT isn't half-bad either. Thank you for this.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They need to The Origin-ify the whole 0079 manga and not just the Char aspects in the middle of it.

Anything that isn't targeted to mainstream viewers though only gets ~4 episodes worth of material made a year so it would take forever to finish.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that Trigun and Soul Eater probably need it the most.

Akira and Berserk are good candidates but... maybe those stories just work better in manga format (Akira move aside, which... I actually liked a lot less after reading through 4 volumes).

Gundam 0079 based on The Origin seems one of those obvious answers that Sunrise will never actually do due to completely unknown reasons

Kazen

May 31, 2019
Imagine One Piece being serialized in seasons instead of weekly. With season for each of it's major arcs with 6 months / 1 year gap in between.

Something like HXH, both in terms of animation quality. I would pay so much money for that lol

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Soul Eater is such an obvious one that I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. We might see it when Fire Force wraps up within the next year or two hopefully.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball Z. Kai was a decent start but Im talking BnHA quality

The manga has impeccable pacing, better fightscenes and much more consistent art than the show

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's ok to let RuroKen die.

Anyway, the number one Needs-To-Have-A-New-Adaption is Trigun and Trigun Maximum.

The original anime is ok but the manga just does so much more with the characters in an interesting way.

To be exact, the anime uses content from the first 2 volumes of Trigun, and really nothing from volume three. However, the manga switched magazines and Trigun Maximum ran for 14 more volumes, after the anime had finished airing.

Trigun and Trigun Maximum are really good.

I second this.
The original anime followed the plot a bit until it didn't, exactly like original FMA, and let me tell you Trigun's story goes PLACES.
Also Tsuneo Imahori for the OST or bust.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eyeshield 21. They ended the anime after the great rivalry game which was a shame because the next game decided who went to the Christmas Bowl (you know, the driving reason for the main characters) and it's the best game in the series. The Hakushuu game is crazy from start to finish, what an awesome team

3fwIuSs.jpg

Prison School for one of the best relationships in manga. If you know, you know

oLalGLd.png

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Blue Exorcist, up to episode 18 it was pretty good, and then they deviated completely from the manga, which was a shame.

They did do a follow up season that picked up from episode 18 and followed the manga, but it got a serious downgrade visuals wise.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Fruits Basket
Oh wait, our prayers were heard. I still can't believe it. Blessed.

Jokes aside, One Piece needs a "kai" more than anything, so my vote would go to something else.

Kingdom kinda needs one because they fucking skipped an entire arc, but tbh, I don't think a good Kingdom anime is possible, so not that either.
Food Wars could do with a better animation for season 3 onwards, but the content of the manga itself is so bad that it's not really worth it.
I don't read Tokyo Ghoul, but I heard it could do with something better...

That said, my true answer is Claymore. Not the best manga ever, but it's still pretty great and deserves a better, more respectful, adaptation

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
You mentioned it OP but One Piece might be the worst adaption of all time. Filler aside, the anime just drags down the quality of the whole thing so hard its amazing.

Its just so ugly and tediously long compared to the manga
One piece anime is exceptional. At least up to the war.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018

Hey if you can enjoy it more power to you, but ive watched all the way up to the end of thriller bark and then switched to the manga and its just so so much better. In the past couple of months ive rewatched a up to the end of arlong and then have read through that part with the manga and its just so much superior.

The anime just always has been so cheap and unimagetive, its a shame its just stuck being a borderline factory like product with how its released nonstop so its never allowed to breathe.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Slam Dunk
Can agree with the soul eater mentions. i thought the manga ending was garbage, equally as bad as the animes.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Hey if you can enjoy it more power to you, but ive watched all the way up to the end of thriller bark and then switched to the manga and its just so so much better. In the past couple of months ive rewatched a up to the end of arlong and then have read through that part with the manga and its just so much superior.

The anime just always has been so cheap and unimagetive, its a shame its just stuck being a borderline factory like product with how its released nonstop so its never allowed to breathe.
Yeah it's not a great adaptation. It's ok, it's serviceable but it's not great. They did a great job on Water 7 and Archipelago, but opted to not adapt some of the manga's most powerful shots in Marineford.

I loved these scenes:
SevereEnormousAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif
1316898a47b095c757fcd2c32ea8160736bab2d9_hq.gif
tumblr_ofa7dy9Dcz1vz2sn9o1_500.gif

The anime plummets in quality after the timeskip. I realize that the design changes can mostly be faulted to Oda but the anime makes them even worse, particularly the women. I also don't care what the excuse is, but the anime already made the choice of designing Robin as a woman of color. Reverting her skin color to bright pale white was really shitty both because women lost a poc to root for (I've read a lot of fan reactions from women of color around this issue, I feel for them) and because it's so pointless to change one color mid-anime to be manga accurate, the same level of stupid as making Trunks hair bright blue after 20+ years of anime, movies, toys and video games depicting his hair as purple. Blah.

The pacing also nosedives, apparently to avoid catching up to the manga. Usually 2-3 chapters of manga naturally fill out 22-25 minutes of anime but One Piece changed the pacing to match 1 chapter per episode, leaving a lot of downtime, filler scenes, additional perversion from Sanji and Brook and having characters quietly stand around and stare for no reason (similar to how DBZ was handled).

If you must watch One Piece, watch the One Pace edit. Especially after the timeskip.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

For a long running show One Piece looked perfectly fine and conveyed Oda's world really well on screen. Music was on point and pacing was fine too. Nailed all the emotional story beats and oftentimes surpassing the manga. Far from the worst adaption.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Berserk and Ruruoini Kenshin.

I'd argue that Naruto and One Piece need a DBZ Kai edit-job rather than Brotherhood remake.

Bleach's pacing is fine if you just skip the fillers. The canon stuff is perfectly good.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I can think of a couple

• Chaika: The Coffin Princess - The original anime was great but man the final episode was a story arc in itself and was rushed. While the story beats themselves were reasonable they did not get room to sink in.
  • Berserk - Any adaptation should wait and see what the full ending is (IF it happens) before going in, or at least start from the very beginning and make a high quality adaptation by seasoned and passionate creators.
  • Usagi Drop - WITH A COMPLETELY NEW ENDING. This may not be a full Brotherhood style adaptation but I think when it comes to how that ended in the manga every fan of the series will forgive the anime.
  • School Rumble - Loved the original manga and show, and it deserves a second chance.
  • Gakkou Gurashi
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion - The manga went into a different direction with the characterisation while keeping all the key points, would be interesting to see how that unfolds as a complete anime series.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Eyeshield 21

They could finally cover the whole series and give us better animation while they're at it

Oct 29, 2017
It's a bit of a newer anime but Tower of God was a terrible adaptation. The direction was terrible, they skipped 90% of the character developement and changed a whole bunch of stuff for the worse. But it's way too new for a remake so it'll probably just get another 1 or 2 bad seasons and be forgotten by most of the anime crowd.

Oct 30, 2017
My pick? Peacock King.
Kujaku-Oh was one of the first manga I stumbled across in the 90s and it absolutely blew my adolescent mind. It's height of popularity was before more mature tv shows were a thing.
All it had were two measly OVA series, two middle of the road live action HK adaptations and video games as well. The old Mystic Defender game for the Genesis/MD was actually a reskin of the series. They all touched on bits of the manga but also did their own thing.
The manga went through around 45 volumes over 3 or 4 series and has some crazy stories.
Probably doesn't help that Ogino was a bit of a dirty old man with the content he drew or the fact that he sadly died last year.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Eyeshield 21 needs a big budget to really show the Murata art

Murata did say that he wanted to make another anime

I would have said Kenshin a few years a go but fuck that

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still mad that Houshin Engi/Soul Hunter had another chance to be properly adapted into an anime and they fucked it up again.
This was crazy to me.
They attempted to adapt a 23 volume series into 23 episodes.

I'll also second Konjiki no Gash and Eyeshield 21.
I'll also add on Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita since the only anime it had was a short OVA that partially did it's own thing.
Also, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
One of the books is called The Irresponible Admiral Tylor and another The Irresponsible President Tylor. I need to see that.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How far are you in the OP anime?
Lol I've been watching OP for like 15 years. I'm up to date of course, technically at least. Dropped the anime around Punk Hazard and only watch highlight episodes. The change in art style, awful pacing and animation were too much.
Visually Wano looks really great but the pacing is still atrocious.