• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which adult cartoon/animated sitcom has the best first season?

• Futurama

Votes: 59 42.1%
  • Bob's Burgers

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Rick and Morty

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Other

Votes: 23 16.4%

• Total voters

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about this lately, how animated sitcoms and sitcoms in general can usually have a very hit or miss first season that often determines if the show gets picked up for more seasons and what direction the show takes after that. The examples given in the poll are the shows that have the absolute strongest first seasons in terms of "adult" animated comedy shows, in my opinion. All of them share the qualities of having fresh ideas in the genre, genuinely funny moments and gags, and average very solid or even great episodes throughout their first year on the air.

UEix5wv.png

Futurama's first season has a fantastic art style and extremely emotive animation, original plot devices and hooks, and a ton of absolutely classic and rewatchable episodes. The pilot itself is such a good episode! Futurama also had the task of differentiating itself from Groening's previous timeless animated series and I think it succeeded in a way nobody expected, and lives on its own legacy rather than in the shadow of The Simpsons. Most importantly, it took off because it had a ton of heart and characters you cared about from the very first episode.

i6o0StZ.png

For me, Bob's Burgers first season is still the absolute highlight of the series. I like modern BB too but all the characters were so much more organic in season one. The humor style was so fresh and loose, it's no wonder it took off when FOX was famous for shows getting cancelled after one season. It's even got my favorite episode of the series, Bed & Breakfast. I still lose my shit every time I see that episode, and most of the episodes in the season.

x1ECy7H.png

Rick and Morty season one gets major points because it so effortlessly mixed hilarious sci-fi trope gags and concepts with morose and nihilistic overtones. From season one, it has had this interesting ability to take itself both very lightly and extremely seriously by being incredibly self aware while also having consequential and dark story beats. In this way it's somewhat of an analogy for existence and the human condition itself. Also, it helped to fill the sci-fi cartoon gap that Futurama left behind while being a very original type of show on its own. All in all it had a very strong first season.

Anyways, interested to hear your thoughts! If you think another series takes the cake with its first season then please post why you think so.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've got to go with Bojack Horseman. I loved Futurama's first season but Bojack hit me in the feels so hard. Such a wonderful first season that they could have left it at that and it would have been a perfect show. Don't get me wrong, the other seasons are great but that first season hit it right out of the park.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
Clone High and Undergrads for me. Those only got the one season though.
I'll take Archer for ones that got out of the gate.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Rick and Morty

Futurama just got better, untill it got cancelled the first time.
I liked the movies also

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Bojack has an incredible back half but a weak start. Futurama is extremely strong throughout, but that first season has a great pilot, 2nd episode, and My Three Suns. When it came out, the first season of Family Guy was transgressive and hysterical and totally unexpected which was part of the reason it struggled to take off. Rick and Morty's first season was great too.

The Boondocks is a major contender too.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Rick and Morty because it literally gets better and better with each episode, the difference in quality between the first and last episode is crazy.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Simpsons not listed to give the other shows a chance?

Of the shows listed, Futurama wins by default for me since I don't like the other options. I do think that Futurama has a rather strong 1st season and that the general quality of the show declined in latter seasons, becoming more and more self-referential.

Oct 25, 2017

Of the shows listed, Futurama wins by default for me since I don't like the other options. I do think that Futurama has a rather strong 1st season and that the general quality of the show declined in latter seasons, becoming more and more self-referential.

Simpsons Season 1 is super weird compared to the seasons that follow.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

Simpsons first season was super rough.
Not god awful like post about season 12. But still not great.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Futurama is my favorite first season of the three, and probably of any adult cartoon. It's infinitely rewatchable. The gags are terrific.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that you like that first season of Bob's Burgers so much. The animation is so jerky & rough, while the actual jokes are far crueler and more mean-spirited than what would later define the series.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Boondocks is what came to mind for me. Al lot of the show's best episodes are from S1, most of them back to back with each other.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that you like that first season of Bob's Burgers so much. The animation is so jerky & rough, while the actual jokes are far crueler and more mean-spirited than what would later define the series.
The kids in particular feel a bit more natural in season one. They're currently somewhat suffering from feeling a bit contrived as the seasons go on(the way Bart and Lisa do, but probably less so), but in season one they actually had a way more dynamic and believable air about them. Bob is also way more dynamic. He can be very monotone these days, and felt more like a real person in season one just based on how he delivered lines. I don't know if I'd call the show more mean-spirited in season one but it was definitely a tiny bit more cutting in its humor and I really think that worked for it. Like I said I still love the show but there's just something about the first season's jokes and humor style that land more for me.

Yeah the animation is rough but for a first season I think the show was incredibly novel and complex for what it presented itself as.

Loving all the examples people are giving. A lot of the shows being mentioned I think are great but didn't find anything too special about their first season. Even Venture Bros, which is an incredible show, is sorta different in season one and didn't get amazing until the second.

I agree with Boondocks, I wish I had put it as a poll option.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Boondocks.

Special shout out for Brad Neely's Scoplio Piiplio though, which is still one of my all time favorite comedies that we'll never see more of.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Rick and Morty is my most recent example.

I really think the show gets worse as it goes on. It's never straight up bad, but the first season had a sensibility I think the later seasons lack.