• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
I also hate the look of gamer devices so i went with Logitech G203 and a Logitech G305 mice. Check those out if you want a not expensive mouse that doesn't look gamey. I also have a SteelSeries Sensei 310 but i don't use it anymore. That's also another pretty decent brand.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I had a generic HP Wired mouse - it worked.

Nowadays I have this

mo-131-201.png

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This isn't a mouse, it's Batman's fucking Tumbler. It's a commissioned bridging vehicle, left abandoned because they could never get the damn bridge to work, but this baby works just fine. Hit self-destruct and it'll eject out a motorcycle. And it comes in black.
I felt the same way, but when my G500 died, I figured I had to at least try. No way in hell was I going to return to a... *shudder* ...non-ergonomic mouse.

Turns out it's also surprisingly comfortable, in addition to looking like overdesigned, edgy trash.

I don't game on my pc, so no idea what you would use the buttons for in-game or how accessible they would be depending on the actions. I personally use the extra buttons simply for media browsing. The two buttons next to the primary mouse button have previous/next track mapped to them, and the two buttons just above the thumb rest are for volume up/down. I know it sounds like nothing special, but it's super practical and I never want to go back.

Also note that you can customize the lights, from the colors of the lights to which lights you want to be turned on, if at all. I only have one of the dashes turned on; orange because it reminds me of my old G5 and G500, God rest their mechanical souls.

The sensor can be tuned for different surfaces, which should give you an extra edge over your opponents, and turn you into the pro-gamer you were born to be. (Seriously though, it's a nice option given the widely different surfaces of today's mouse pads.)

So yeah, can't blame you for disliking its looks, but I wouldn't shoot it down immediately. Normally the best solution would be to go to a store and try them out, though I understand the reluctance given current circumstances. Is it an idea to bring disposable sterile gloves?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing is build quality and reliability. Look up reviews. After that, just the features you're looking for. Number of buttons, wired/wireless, etc.

I've only had bad experiences with razer, both hardware and software related. My advice is to stay far away from them. Logitech has served me well and they have a good catalog.

I have the G502 for reference. Yes it's flashy, but it looks a lot less flashy in person. I really like it because from most angles, it looks like a regular mouse but it still has that bit of flair. It's also one of the most comfortable mouses on the market. Plenty of buttons and top-tier software if you need those.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I just remembered I just looked at this website and watched videos for like 5 days before deciding on a mouse

Those descriptions are hilarious.

G502:

"(...) I don't really see it as a competitive FPS mouse but for general use, it's one of the best. (...) If you aren't too competitive or you're happy just hitting quite good shots and the occasional insane shot, then this mouse will still be good in shooters. (...) I don't think you will reach your absolute potential with this mouse, but you can still be very good with it. (...) Great mouse. But it's heavy at 125g (...) it can get down to 112g. (...)"

This is what pro-gaming does to you, kids.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
61bxQfDdBuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I got this, Logitech G403, simple, clean, took out the RGB colors in the control panel and now it's clean, sober and practical. It even has a 10g weight you can add below the mouse.

It's been a few years though, so maybe there's better stuff, but this one never failed me
That's the same one I have. I liked it. The scroll wheel acts up sometimes though. And I didn't even have it for that long. I might consider getting the wireless version next time. I hear wireless tech has gotten good lately. If it's good enough for game controllers, it must be good for mice.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I keep feeling like a wireless mouse will like have a hiccuped signal. It's a small enough space with my wireless keyboard, my wi-fi adapter etc. Maybe I'm being paranoid? I just don't want that hiccup to throw me off the way this damn fucking busted scroll wheel is.
I am a fan of wireless mice, but for whatever reason my previous (Expensive!) Bluetooth mouse would get some terrible interference and chug a little, or lose sync entirely.

During a frustrated day last month I replaced it with Logitech G305 which uses a usb dongle, much to my surprise. I usually hate dongles but the precision on this mouse is incredible. It is the most responsive mouse I have ever used, and middle click is good unlike older Logitech mice.

My only headache was that I had trouble installing the latest Logitech software to customise buttons and does (I was able to install the previous version). Once you customise the mode you can save the settings to the hardware itself. Pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I am a fan of wireless mice, but for whatever reason my previous (Expensive!) Bluetooth mouse would get some terrible interference and chug a little, or lose sync entirely.

During one frustrated day I replaced it with Logitech G305 which uses a usb dongle, much to my surprise. I usually hate dongles but the precision on this mouse is incredible. It is the most responsive mouse I have ever used.

My only headache was that I had trouble installing the latest Logitech software to customise buttons and does (I was able to install the previous version). Once you customise the mode you can save the settings to the hardware itself. Pretty fantastic.
And you haven't noticed any interference with your current one?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Get an MMO mouse.

m913wirelessmouse_1.png

The brand doesn't matter (mostly), just as long as it has a shit ton of buttons like above. Use the software for said mouse to make the buttons correspond with keys on the keyboard, and then proceed to map random ass game functions. I have my mouse key mapped to random ass shit like ; / \. You know, the keys your movement keys hand will be nowhere near, and then I adjust the in-game keybindings as needed.

With my hands on WSAD, I find it uncomfortable to stretch down to shift and control all the time, or up to the number row, so those sort of functions, I have on my mouse.

All of those buttons would get annoying with general use PC stuff, so I have a regular mouse for that kind of shit.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Sensor, weight, Grip style.

Some of the new Wireless mouse were made with E-Sports in mind so you don't have to worry about them being less responsive than others.
Ex: G903, Razer Viper Ultimate, G Pro.

If i had to pick one today i would choose between.

Final Mouse Ultralight newest version.
G Pro wireless
Viper ultimate wireless
W/E the new Zowie mouse is.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
And you haven't noticed any interference with your current one?
No interference on G305 all! They seem to have some extra fast gamer friendly wireless tech in this thing. I work on two 4k monitors with a small mouse area so I'm sensitive to changes in precision or hiccups but this works fantastically, and the lack of wire helps a lot.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Get an MMO mouse.

m913wirelessmouse_1.png

The brand doesn't matter (mostly), just as long as it has a shit ton of buttons like above. Use the software for said mouse to make the buttons correspond with keys on the keyboard, and then proceed to map random ass game functions. I have my mouse key mapped to random ass shit like ; / \. You know, the keys your movement keys hand will be nowhere near, and then I adjust the in-game keybindings as needed.

With my hands on WSAD, I find it uncomfortable to stretch down to shift and control all the time, or up to the number row, so those sort of functions, I have on my mouse.

All of those buttons would get annoying with general use PC stuff, so I have a regular mouse for that kind of shit.
I was looking at those for a while since I play MMOs and got to try one. I have to say, me hitting all those buttons with my thumb didn't feel very comfortable. I'm saving up for the Orbweaver instead, which I found much more ergonomic.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The answer is that you want to be looking for... what you want. Do you like heavy mice? Do you primarily play MMOs and need lots of hotkeys and buttons? Do you want a lightweight mouse so you can lower the sensitivity and learn flickshots in FPS games? Do you want a vertical mouse for ergonomics? How do you feel about trackballs, because those are a completely different and unique field.

For most cases, something simple like the Deathadder or Basilisk will be absolutely fine. But it is almost entirely up to user preference. Gaming mice are made for different kinds of games and functions. I have like... 6 or 7 that I swap out regularly depending on the games I am playing at any given time. Basically, like any controller, different types have different use cases.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Logitech MX Master 2S that I got for like $40 bucks. It's pretty great, it's not a "gaming" mouse with DPI buttons and crazy high polling rate (the fps of your mouse) but it works fine and it feels super comfortable for all tasks.

So I guess I would recommend Logitech? Whatever you do, definitely get a mouse with a thumbrest. It makes a huge difference in how comfortable it'll be.

My actual recommendation is that despite the pandemic, the best thing to do is to go to the store and try out a bunch of different mice to get an idea of what shape feels best for your hands. And then do some research on the different mice that fit that category to get an idea of what the best all-around product for you is. A mouse is the type of thing that you want to be perfectly comfortable for extended gaming or work sessions.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at those for a while since I play MMOs and got to try one. I have to say, me hitting all those buttons with my thumb didn't feel very comfortable. I'm saving up for the Orbweaver instead, which I found much more ergonomic.
I agree somewhat, depends on the mouse and how the buttons are laid out.

Some of them don't have as many buttons as the one I listed though, which would make it easier depending on your hand size.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
If you want something that goes the extra mile for comfort look into Mionix. Their "Naos" line has finger rests for the ring and pinky fingers (only for right handed people) which I consider a must have feature at this point.

Naos-QG-Top-size_900x.png

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
How have you survived so long on a 3 button mouse? I couldn't live without the thumb buttons.

Anyway, it's hard to say... Depends on what you're using it for. I think the main things are that you should have at least 5 buttons (left and right click, middle mouse, 2 thumbs) high DPI is great and makes using the mouse much more comfortable. Then, assuming you're looking for something built to last, you'll want to look at build quality. Stuff like what material is used for the hammers of the LMB and RMB since those get used the most daily. Then finally weight.

The Logitech G series is a good go-to. I also like the Steelseries Rival or Sensei. I tend to stay away from Razer and Corsair because they innards are made of cheap plastic and have cracked or shattered on me.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So... I might go with the Logitech G703? Atleast I'm leaning that way. Clean simple design, decent reception, and fuck it I'll see how reliably the Wireless works out. I'll sleep on it.

Thanks very much for the recommendations and tips everyone. Keep em coming for anyone else who's in the same boat though! Or if there's something I hadn't considered.

EDIT: Debating the Steelseries Rival as well

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
RGB.

Really though, I rock this beauty and it's the best mouse I've ever owned. Macros, customizable lighting, fantastic comfort and a neat little OLED screen to throw some gifs, pictures or even game data on.

Steelseries Rival 710, $99.
3112OTvz44L._AC_SY400_.jpg

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I have the newer revision of this, the Deathadder V2 and it's really great. I had never owned a Razer mouse before, and I feel like it was a pretty decent upgrade over my older Steelseries Sensei.

The V2 is $70, but uses new optical switches for the buttons instead of the older (but still well performing) metal contact types mice have used since forever. It should extend the life of the mouse, since the switches will never lose performance over time due to regular use. Otherwise it's mostly the same as the V1 aside from some slicker feet and it being a bit lighter. It is extremely comfortable imo, and that element of design is identical between the two.

I got this same mouse afew weeks ago and I love how light it is especially coming from the G502.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
310s-gallery-high-rival-310__top.png__1920x1080_q100_crop-fit_optimize_subsampling-2.png

After severely screwing up my finger tendons to the point of getting growths on them on my Razer, switching to this right handed Steelseries Rival 310 has been a big help. It's not too hideous either.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you do, don't buy a bluetooth mouse. The input latency is really bad compared to standard wireless.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
OP, you should consider the Razer Viper Ultimate

Spend those $$, become a true PC Gamer. Anything else is for plebs.

Also I've used the razer deathadder and it was pretty good so that's a good budget option.

Last edited:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
OP if you really haven't lived with a mouse with forward/back buttons your mind will be blown. They're up there with the scroll wheel as the most everyday useful feature a mouse can have.

To hijack the thread for a moment: mouse aficionados, are the super high dpi/polling rate whatever bullet points noticeable IRL if i'm just a normal person and not some esports god? I'm still using an original mx518 and while it looks kind of grody, the buttons still function and I can't tell from a best buy display setup whether newfangled models will actually be worth shelling out the cash?

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I would go for a wireless mouse.

Have heard a lot of complaints about the build quality of razer products over the years. As in, expensive mice have failed just after warranty expires. I don't know if this is still an issue?

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get a G102 or G203. Exactly the same products but G102 is a bit cheaper. Basic, cheap, high quality.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
I've got a Razer Deathadder Elite, but I'd say avoid that one. The rubber grips on the side have started to come loose, plus that stuff gets manky quickly without regular cleaning. Which only gets more difficult when the damn things are falling off.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
If you want a lot of buttons to bind shortcuts to, get any MMO mouse

Bonus points if it has pointless RGB

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
they're all basically fine, a lot of it is subjective.

Personally I need it to be comfortable in the hand, I need a 'clicky' scroll wheel which pretty much ties me to logitech, and I *need* left/right/scroll click buttons. Small bonus points for forward/back buttons on the side by my thumb but its not a dealbreaker.

I'm currently using a logitech MX Anywhere 2 - more compact than my previous but its a combo bluetooth and RF mouse with 3 profiles so I can connect to my PC with the little USB dongle, my macbook pro via bluetooth, and my ipad via bluetooth too.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I literally use Batman's tumbler for work and gaming and it's the best mouse I've ever had. The additional weights and dpi control buttons make working on multiple monitors a breeze. I've had it for a few years now and swear by the g502

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I know what I will be avoiding for all eternity: rubber and textured surfaces. The rubber just soaks in hand sweat or something, and textured surfaces become nasty over time.

More generally, I don't think I'd want a mouse with less than 3 extra buttons. Very useful for games.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Get an MMO mouse.

m913wirelessmouse_1.png

I got this one for cheap (same model but different branding) but the side buttons were way too stiff for me. Probably should have gone for the Corsair Scimitar or the Razer Trinity, but also I just couldn't get used to the side buttons for FFXIV. Also preferred the shape and feel of my EC1A too much to switch.

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I never knew I wanted my cat as pictures on my mousepad. I don't know why I love this idea. Thanks OP.
I don't have anything to add to the topic since I barely know anything about it but I like the style of the newer mice a lot!

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know what I will be avoiding for all eternity: rubber and textured surfaces. The rubber just soaks in hand sweat or something, and textured surfaces become nasty over time.

More generally, I don't think I'd want a mouse with less than 3 extra buttons. Very useful for games.
I just had to grab a little wireless logitech from the drawer. It had been sitting there for a year and of course it was all gooey and sticky. Should be illegal.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for a replacement for my G700. Free scrolling wheel with enough buttons but not the entire side number pad, one of the newer optical sensor, and optional wireless. The Roccat Leadr was the closest to that but missing one thing that I really love about the Logitech mice; no actual need for their software to be on your computer and they store their button setting profiles to the mouse itself so can just set it up and use it the same anywhere I plug it into/after removing the software.