• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what everyone else's takeaway is, but it seems to me Philadelphia has the best market.
Spent a day in Philly last month and me and GF absolutely loved the city. We were actually touristing in NYC and took a bus to spend a day in Philly.
We just want to go back and live there.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I wonder what you could get in Metro Detroit.
Greatly location dependent (obviously).

Within walking distance of downtown Royal Oak. The first one is really cute.

TJ5pKX0.png

CW9OO3X.png

Right downtown apartment.
Pv3aOBH.png

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
$500k for a small (if nice looking) apartment? Jesus.

Makes me so glad to be moving from the south of England (expensive!) to Wales later this year, where I can get a spacious 3-bedroom house for about £110k (about $140k USD).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half a million in my city gets you a three bedroom townhouse. The missus and I are planning to move, and a double car garage 4 bedroom detached house will run $750K+ CND

It's crazy to see how far your dollars gets you in certain states...

$500k gets you a small early-80s townhouse with minimal to no updates in the DC suburbs. Forget downtown.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
We have to start taxing empty homes in cities until they are no longer profitable investments. Cities are going to be more expensive than the burbs for a long time because of the incentive structures we setup 60 years ago, but these differences are way more driven by artificial scarcity. More infill, more duplexs/triplexes, build higher.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Some of those places look obnoxiously huge, though. Might be my background but the upkeep seems like such a headache - unless they come with a maid and groundskeeper, I can't imagine the space is worth it.

Lived in souless cut-out suburbs throughout my upbringing and I agree, the space is rarely worth it.

If I had to do it again in my adult life, I'd end up like Dennis from that 1 It's Always Sunny in Philly episode:

oEkcxoS.gif

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
This is why everyone lives in NJ or north of the city. Still get the nyc salary but you have to deal with commuting which a ton of people will hate. It's a nightmare. Even getting into the city from jersey via train is a nightmare.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is why everyone lives in NJ or north of the city. Still get the nyc salary but you have to deal with commuting which a ton of people will hate. It's a nightmare. Even getting into the city from jersey via train is a nightmare.

That's a red herring. While you will be able to afford a home with a backyard in North Jersey/Westchester, the homes are still relatively modest and all the top towns/cities are still basically out of your price range at $500K. That is now even accounting for the high property taxes and long unreliable commutes (at least in North Jersey).

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, those Houston and Texas houses are huge.

Are those places fairly quiet or empty right now?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
True that. But, with no tourism dollars, I guess they gotta do something lol.

Great city if you are a laid back person. Winters are mostly crap here, too. You won't meet genuinely nicer people though.

Omaha is awfully nice and I'm surprised more people who are trying to escape their backwater states and towns aren't moving there as opposed to the expensive coastal cities. You could easily turn Omaha blue if enough banded together. Affordable housing, silicon prairie, good cost of living, etc.

Whenever my wife and I visit her family back there for the holidays we are always floored at how cheap houses are in Dundee compared to Seattle. Hell, there are some cool looking old houses behind Midtown/Blackstone that would go for stupid amount back home in Seattle. I couldn't live out where my in-laws live though (West Omaha out by Elkhorn), all strip malls, planned communities on golf courses and zero walkability.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Heres what you get in london for £375k = $486k

pX9JPWq.png
Whereabouts? My sister and her fella just bought their first house in Crystal Palace. 480k-ish got them the bottom two floors of a four story town house, narrow but really nice(and long) garden. Really nice inside apart from a small kitchen. It's still insane money to me but it's a definite improvement on the example you posted.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This thread makes me want to spend the next few vacations staying in the country and just visiting various "mini-metros" to find a nice retirement space.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's not the building, it's the land.
A little patch of land in a major city is going to cost a lot no matter what house is on it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A standard 25x125 lot in my neighborhood, Logan Square, Chicago, went for $300k minimum in 2019 and the price seems to be still going up. That's for an empty lot, or worse, a tear-down.

this answers the question why so many people are moving to Texas, you can actually buy a home and get a good job

But then you're living in Texas.

(Sorry, Austin)

Oh, God the $500k Texas house is a McMansion in fucking Houston. That's like my personal vision of Hell.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That article makes me glad to live in Kansas City. You can get a decent 3 bedroom house for under $200k here. A $500k house is bigger than I'd ever need or want.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whereabouts? My sister and her fella just bought their first house in Crystal Palace. 480k-ish got them the bottom two floors of a four story town house, narrow but really nice(and long) garden. Really nice inside apart from a small kitchen. It's still insane money to me but it's a definite improvement on the example you posted.

That sounds exactly like the house I lived in when I was a little kid. Wasn't on Harold Road was it?

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
decided its better to rent, save and move than buy here in Long Island

+500k for 70 year old houses with 15k taxes

nah im sweet

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
I wonder what you could get in Metro Detroit.

There are cheap areas and pricey areas in the metro region, but in the actual city of Detroit, you could get a beautiful home, borderline mansion, for $500k:

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn some of those are ugly old houses.

The one in Houston looks great compared to the rest.

My house looks like it too (not surprising considering the fact I live in a Houston Suburb).

Though 6k Sqft? They dont mean the whole house right but the area around it (like the backyard and front yard) right? Cause $500,000 for that seems like a insane deal , my house is close $400,000 but is 3,500+ sqft. Too bad the one in the example is in the north east - too many crazy people living in the north of Houston lol.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
500k in any major southern city should get you a reasonable size home. Even Jacksonville
Depends on where its at (Charleston real estate is pretty nuts) but yeah definitely getting a better deal than any city in Cali
True, but as a rule 500k in any major southern city should get you a reasonable size home or larger. Even FL has some decent ones in that price range. Plus for the people willing to move to the suburbs...