• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the Best 97?

• Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 381 16.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 192 8.4%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 1,205 52.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 217 9.5%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 299 13.0%

• Total voters

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Pretty obvious BOTW was going to win this by a landslide when this forum's two other favourite games (Bloodborne and TW3) don't even qualify.
This kind of poll has already been done:
-Here, there was a strawpoll where you could vote for any game, then the top 5 was put in a poll (including TW3, Bloodborne and BotW)
-Here, It was just Bloodborne and BotW

At this point, it seems pretty obvious that Era's GOTG is BotW
Edit: Looking back at some old threads, it seems that TW3 used to beat Zelda ?

Last edited:

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
I didn't like these Mario, I didn't like RDR2 and GTA V and I need to play more of BOTW. :/

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played most of them unfortunately. Rockstar games I tend to get bored of the world or not gel with them, despite wanting to engage. Also didn't have a Wii, and never got around to the Galaxy games during my time with the Wii U. Still haven't dipped into Odyssey either, since I lent it out at launch.

So Breath of the Wild takes it with GTA V being the sole competitor, despite having narrative and conceptual issues with it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to bounce off Rockstar stuff pretty hard so that writes off RDR and GTA. Odessey I didn't actually like as much as I wanted to - completed it but didn't feel particularly compelled to go find many more moons. Galaxy I think wins the battle of the Marios.

But Zelda stands above for me. Such a change of direction was a real breath of fresh air and a risk for Nintendo. Some of the systems were a little annoying but you work around them and eventually they become natural. It just becomes this cohesive whole in way very few games do

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I'll go with GTA5. RDR2 and BotW both bored me, and Mario is little more than a pleasant distraction these days.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I don't own a Switch yet so I haven't had an opportunity to play through BoTW and Odyssey but I have played RDR2 and GTA 5.

I've completed GTA 5 around 5 times from start to finish so I'd say I enjoyed it the most :P

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey is the "worst" on that list for me by far, and RDR2 is easily my favourite.

It's probably been mentioned, but Galaxy 1 had a 97 metacritic score too, correct?

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I never played Galaxy 2, but I'm assuming it's mostly more of the same as Galaxy. Odyssey gets a clean win for me here, seeing as it's the best Mario game ever.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's been two and a half years, a lot of people posting in this thread sound like they need to reconcile with BOTW being beloved, because this kind of fixated obsession on hating something doesn't sound like it can be healthy. It's just a video game.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
You'd have to be very new to Era, and not have lived through the 40 Million Breath of the Wild jerk threads, to think that the majority of this site would vote for anything that isn't BOTW. :D

The only game that will come close in a ResetEra poll against BOTW is Bloodborne, and that thread would probably be closed pretty quickly.

Oh, my vote was for Red Dead.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to be very new to Era, and not have lived through the 40 Million Breath of the Wild jerk threads, to think that the majority of this site would vote for anything that isn't BOTW. :D

The only game that will come close in a ResetEra poll against BOTW is Bloodborne, and that thread would probably be closed pretty quickly.

Bloodborne and BotW are the two best games of the generation, so the only winner in a poll between the two... is us.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

I'm pretty sure that thread was made (and BOTW won).

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2 for me. Granted I haven't played odyssey or rdr2 yet.

Also I totally expected a bunch of responses stating they don't like anything despite the thread title XD. My expectations of Era didn't fail me once again.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Out of these five, my order would be:

(1) Zelda Breath of the Wild
(2) Red Dead Redemption 2
(3) Super Mario Galaxy 2
(4) Super Mario Odyssey
(5) GTAV

Red Dead might be higher due to recency bias, but BotW absolutely deserves to be up there. Didn't enjoy Odyssey as much as others here, but have fond memories of Galaxy 2.

GTAV I feel doesn't deserve its rating. Great game sure, but not in the same league as other generational legends.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Why is 97 your minimum cut-off?

Seems like a rather arbitrary choice intended to limit the possible answers to a very specific selection of games.

Realistically, there's very little separating a 90 MC rating from a 97 MC rated game. Why not just say 90+ MC?

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
For me it's Breath of the Wild, not necessarily for its execution, but certainly for its courage in tearing up the classic formula.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Seems like a rather arbitrary choice intended to limit the possible answers to a very specific selection of games.

Realistically, there's very little separating a 90 MC rating from a 97 MC rated game. Why not just say 90+ MC?
I mean the OP makes it pretty clear, 97 is a rare score and they want to talk about that. Why is this an issue? Everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Then don't do a poll or put the rest of the choices in the OP.

Every Era thread doesn't HAVE to have a poll ya know. It's not mandatory.
There has been countless thread on a similar topic (notably on what is Era's GOTG), this is a different thread with a different goal. It's not about which game Era prefers overall, but rather which games are both loved by the critics and this place

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Can I just say none of those? I really didn't like any of the games there.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild. Very few games made me feel like that game did and I can pick it up at random times and just have fun with it even now. It's very re-playable and has some of my favorite combat and traversal mechanics in games ever.

OP
OP
PhazonBlazer

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

image0.png

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
BotW of course. I haven't gotten sucked into a game like that so completely in a long time. I'm glad to see a lot of people love it too and think it's deserving of it's acclaim.

I'm also glad Galaxy 2 is doing well here, that would be my second choice over Odyssey.

GTAV and RDR2 do nothing for me unfortunately but that doesn't mean I will call them undeserving of their 97....well maybe GTAV lol.