• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There are two kings of science fiction (and no, I am not getting into the science fantasy topic) in the form of Trek and Wars. Both franchises have had their rough spots and continue to do so, but more importantly some of the developments have pushed away old fans and brought in new ones.

Out of Wars and Trek, which franchise do you think is in the most healthy position from a quality perspective?

We'll make the cut off Star Trek 2009 so we have some movies to compare

Star Trek has had:

- Into Darkness
- Beyond
- Discovery
- Picard
- Lower Decks

Star Wars had had:

- The last Jedi
- Rise of Skywalker
- The force awakens
- Rogue One
- Solo
- Some new clone wars
- Rebels
- Mandalorian

Oct 27, 2017
Picard and Disco suck.

Mandalorian was fucking awesome. As far as television goes Star Wars >>> Star Trek, currently.

I vastly prefer the recent Trek movies though. They're just more "fun".

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'd say it's Star Wars. The Rise of Skywalker was a huge misstep, but their small screen offerings are doing pretty well.

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars simply because Star Trek has morphed into Star Wars (action adventure). So SW is still true to its roots (with some good and bad content).

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Wars. Trek lost its identity to chase Wars, Star Wars is back on track after TRoS with the Mandalorian as the widely loved centerpiece of the franchise.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they're both in a pretty bad/mediocre spot right now with a few exceptions on each side (Rogue One and The Mandalorian for Wars, Beyond and Lower Decks for Trek).

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm just gonna be grateful Wars has Mandalorian, and Trek has Lower Decks.

tenor.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike ROS, and I find the Mandolarian "pretty good" at best, but don't really care about it. SW feels like it has more hype because of the success of that series. It may be like the Iron Man 2008 of the Star Wars TV series

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
The fanbases for both suck right now?

Like, short of The Mandalorin, there has been pretty vocal outcry from fans of both franchises for basically every release.

In the end, I say Star Trek is in the better place overall. I know a lot of people won't agree with me because they don't like modern Trek but, in my opinion, I've preferred what I have gotten out of Trek in terms of consistency than I have Star Wars. I love The Mandalorian, but as of now, it's really the only thing out of Star Wars that I actually look forward to while I was always looking forward to the next episode of whatever show was on at the time.

Star Wars may well step ahead of Trek with all of the new stuff on the horizon, but for now, I give the win to Trek.

Oct 16, 2020
Trek is in a hole. Worst place it's been in my lifetime.

Wars does so much stuff that some of it is working for its fans.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been Star Trek for me, and the last two Star Wars movies really solidified that. I've really enjoyed Disco and Lower Decks and I would never have imagined after the JJ movies fizzled out (I only really liked the first one) that there would be more Trek than ever, and some of it is actually good. I thought Trek was dead. I also think DS9 and Voyager have aged like fine wine and have become even better over time. Star Wars in general has just not aged well for me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is actually going places. The sequel trilogy was a terrible waste of everyone's time, but Rogue One, Solo, The Mandalorian and all the other material Disney has put out in the last six years (like Rebels and the new TCW content) has been pretty dang amazing and it seems they have much more to come.

What does Star Trek have right now except a parody and a show whose biggest twist to date is that replicator food is recycled from poop? Stargate is in an even worse position since they basically put it on ice indefinitely after Universe came out and everyone hated it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars
It is more popular
It is better funded across all media
It has Disney behind it

Both franchises have toxic fans and Star Wars have more of them just from the law of large numbers but I feel like it's more resilient

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I hope in a few years the real king will be an option. Battlestar Galactica :)

Wars. Trek bores me to be honest.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars I think.
Other than Rise of Skywalker, all the new stuff has been excellent in my opinion.
Add in the books, video games, and comics, and there has been a lot of good stories/experiences.

OP
OP
Soap

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars
It is more popular
It is better funded across all media
It has Disney behind it

Both franchises have toxic fans and Star Wars have more of them just from the law of large numbers but I feel like it's more resilient

The reason I discussed quality is because I k we the issue of funding and popularity would come up. Star Wars has always been the franchise that has made more money, but I don't really think that amounts to much when it comes to quality.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek for sure. Star Wars is a mess right now and I have no confidence in their upcoming slate, Mandalorian Season 2 really disappointed me at the end and I'm worried about what it portends for the future of the franchise under Disney. Oh there's an Obi Wan Kenobi show? I wonder how many episodes in it'll take before he crosses paths with Jabba the Hutt or...Kit Fisto improbably

Over on the Star Trek side you've got Discovery which is rock solid, Lower Decks which is easily the best first season any Star Trek show has ever had, Strange New Worlds in the works which sounds exciting, and really only Picard as the big stinker of the bunch. Star Trek has always been a mess, but right now it feels like a mess with exciting energy

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is actually going places. The sequel trilogy was a terrible waste of everyone's time, but Rogue One, Solo, The Mandalorian and all the other material Disney has put out in the last six years (like Rebels and the new TCW content) has been pretty dang amazing and it seems they have much more to come.

What does Star Trek have right now except a parody and a show whose biggest twist to date is that replicator food is recycled from poop? Stargate is in an even worse position since they basically put it on ice indefinitely after Universe came out and everyone hated it.
Discovery had Michelle Yeoh being a badass for a big chunk of three seasons and all you remember is the replicator poop?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Star Wars.

TROS was a misstep, but aside from that I'd say the most recent offerings in the franchise have all been solid (despite what some people like to say about a certain film I won't name).

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Both have been pretty mediocre all around but I want to focus on the movies.

From Star Wars I like Rogue One and Last Jedi gives me hope for a Rian focused trilogy but I would say the low points of Star Wars really drag it down.

Star Trek overall had consistently better movies but I never saw beyond so my judgement there is subject to change.

As for serialized TV Star Wars overall has been much better than Trek by a mile. That said Star Wars hasn't shown the depth of really being experimental with its brand like Lower Decks did so Star Trek certainly looks better than Star Wars from that perspective. They've been more successful with riskier interpretations of their universe.

But if they are doing what I think they are doing with Mandalorian (each books will cover a different Mandalorian and thus lead to shift in genre style) then they will compete with Star Trek in that experimental area and they most likely will succeed.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Never watched anything Trek except the first two JJ movies and Lower Decks. The latter made me want to explore more of the tv shows.
I've always loved Star Wars so Mando being the awesome thing that it is, I'd say Wars is in a better place.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's Star Wars. The Rise of Skywalker was a huge misstep, but their small screen offerings are doing pretty well.

I agree (although I actually like RoS simply because it's visually pleasing to me and that's all I really want out of SW). I'd also bet I'm in the extreme minority that liked it quite a bit more than Mando, which outside of an episode or 2 and the moment at the end of Season 2, never felt all that special to me. I think it's pretty bland.

The series has also had success in the video game department in recent years with Fallen Order and Battlefront II (I've never played this one personally, but I hear it's pretty good now).

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I feel like course correction is possible, and will happen eventually for Star Wars. Rise of Skywalker (while a rancid dumpster fire) is easier to deal with, whether by making the best of the situation, or by striking it from canon entirely.

Star Trek would be great, if they started hiring writers who understand the heart of ST.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing currently existing out of both franchises.
This. Lower Decks is great.
Lower Decks is the best thing Star Wars or Star Trek has put out in five years and for anyone who hasn't seen it its not just because its a "funny Star Trek comedy". In a media landscape dominated by convoluted, top-heavy storytelling built on spectacle Lower Decks understands that the best way to tell a story is to give a bunch of characters coherent but diverse motivations and perspectives and build your plot out of the consequences of how they interact.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I give the edge to Star Wars because there's about to be a lot more of it.

Call me a sucker, but I've enjoyed everything both franchises have put out. I love Discovery's heart. If I have something to complain about with Star Wars, it's Finn's sidelining. Otherwise, chef's kiss.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars definitely. From merch (esp, Mando) to video games to TV shows, its definitely in a better place.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Star Wars movies are worse than the Star Trek movies, and the Trek shows are worse than the Wars show. Basically they've reversed their traditional places.

Both Series Movies are done for a while, and both are making spinoff shows from their current show. Except Wars needed the movies to end and has a great show, and Treks movies deserved better and the show is not great. So Wars is in a better place

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wars.

TFA, Rogue One, Solo and the Mandalorian, as well as CW season 6 really worked for me, even if TLJ and TRoS did not.

Otoh Trek is in a hole as far as I'm concerned, and mostly consists of DS9 rewatch (and some TNG/ Voy) on Netflix.