• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What works for you?

• Bleeding edge/service model. Every 1/2 years

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Mid gen upgrade. Every 3 to 4 years.

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • New gen only. 5 to 7 years.

Votes: 59 57.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It occurs to me as we approach this new generation of consoles that we might be looking at upgrades in ways we haven't seen before.

Some people prefer to keep things traditional. They buy a console, they run it into the ground for around 7 years or so, and then they jump to the hype train for the new hotness.

More recently, we've had the option of the mid gen refresh. The "Pro" units. These are a really good halfway house for people that want to keep reasonably up to date with tech without having to go down the PC route or want to stay specifically in the ecosystem of that console. They aren't absolute bleeding edge, but the option is always good.

Maybe, soon enough, we might have the possibility of the mobile phone- style upgrade path, one the Microsoft might well want to make use of. The option to either drop $500 or use an all access style 2 year subscription plan to have the most up to date tech possible in a console every year or two. Expensive? Sure, but if you've got money to burn or you're dedicated to your hobby, there will undoubtedly be an audience for this.

Obviously some of this is a little hypothetical. I'm just curious as to what works for Era?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I almost never buy mid-gen refresh hardware unless absolutely forced to. I usually buy it early in the gen but not right at launch and keep it until it breaks.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
got pro and regretted later but still mid gen refreshes are a better option. 3090 with some OC already touching 40TF mark. We need a PRO version of ps5 with atleast 20TF power in 2023.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
New Gen Only for me.

My launch PS4 Base has served me well over the years and did not feel I needed a PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
Mid gen refresh for my main console. In my case, I got a PS4, then a PS4 Pro, and now a PS5 when I can, and I'll get the PS5 Pro when/if it happens.
Main consoles only for my secondary consoles. I got an original Xbone, but did not buy the X1X, and am getting a Series X, but won't be getting the next mid gen upgrade etc.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I got a PS4 Pro and on the whole feel like it wasn't a good execution. The idea is a good one, but the way it was handled was poorly done and far too inconsistent. I would prefer it to be one box you buy for 6 or 7 years and keep using all throughout - I think that release model is a good one.

If they do stick to mid gen refreshes (ie a Pro, not a Slim) I personally would probably move to buying, for example, a PS5 Pro, to a PS6 Pro and so on. That way it allows me to get the best console available, I (presumably) don't pay a premium over the launch models, and I'd get better performance for the console's library. The other big thing is that it'd mean by the time I buy, the library is more fleshed out, and there's a better idea of the identity and strengths of the console.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
For consoles, I want a long tail. I bought both mid gen refreshes last gen. I do and don't regret them. I'm fairly certain I won't be doing that again.

If I'm going to throw money at a system every 3-4 years, I'd rather it be my PC.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Although I did buy a ps4 pro, I hope there will be no ps5 pro this time.

I do expect the cross gen period to be a lot longer from ps5 to ps6 though

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
New gen. Had base PS4 since day one and it's done everything I've wanted - somewhat noisily of late I'll admit!

For me the PS5 & Series X will hopefully be massive leaps as I've avoided mid-gen refreshes chiefly because I want my next console to wow me with graphics. For me it's a leap up to 4k and I can't wait to see games old and new running at that resolution.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends platform to platform based on my enthusiasm hah. I would honestly buy new hardware from Nintendo as often as they make it available, it's always exciting. I'm happy to upgrade my xbox every 2-3 years, and one playstation a gen is fine. Its not entirely a tech question for me, more how much I use each platform and what they give to me over a gen. I'll upgrade more often where my fav games are.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
PS1 + PS2 launch models are what I used start to finish of those gens. Never owned a PS1 Slim and only bought a PS2 Slim last year.

PS3 i got at launch but it started to YLOD at the start of 2013. I knew PS4 was around the corner but I couldn't wait. Needed to play The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V so bought the PS3 Super Slim.

PS4 bought at launch and replaced it with the Slim in 2016. I had problems with the disc drive + buttons so felt like getting a new model.

It'll be the same going forward. If either my PS5 or Series X have any issues and there is a new model I'll replace it but otherwise I'm gonna try see out the gen with launch console models. Depends how I feel when the Slim/Pro models come out...I might just have an itch for something new.

Nintendo is a different story. Had the original Switch and replaced it with the 2019 model with improved battery. Sold that as there are rumors of a new model next year which I'll get.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If we keep getting mid-gen refreshes, I think I'll start switching between Xbox and Playstation every 3-4 years. That way I get cutting edge tech and access to both ecosystems. I bought an Xbox One X in 2017, so now I'm getting a PS5

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since I usually want all of the platforms, I prefer longer gaps between new systems.