• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if others do it.

But as for me, I don't understand why you'd even feel the need to, when there's sooo much you can do at any point anyway.

Waiting for the museum to open? Just place the unique creatures outside in piles until it opens!
Want to personalize your village? Create your free designs for roads, signs and anything else you'd like to add.
Want to make a lot of money? Go to those mystery islands, or just keep collecting stuff and build and sell.

I'm only at the end of my second day, and I've probably played more than ten hours already, and I want to dive back in as I'm writing this...

But who knows, maybe day 5 or 6 will get more boring, but then I've got other games to play.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I'd find it defeats the point of it. It's not meant to be something you rush to complete.
Other people can do what they want though, why on earth would I care?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Don't care. I don't think I would be into this series so heavily had my buddy and I not time traveled constantly on GameCube.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I time travelled to get the museum open because my favorite part of animal crossing is filling out the museum.

jadjei

Nov 23, 2017
Don't really care, people can play their game whatever way they want. Personally I don't time skip, I think it defeats the point of the game.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I time traveled twice today so far. I do what I want to do on the island in a hour and then what? Wait until tomorrow? No way, I'm pushing the clock to 6 the next day so I can keep playing. Especially since I'm in lock down.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't do it myself cause it kind of defeats the purpose of the game, but I don't care if other people do it. Nothing in AC is a competition that is going to give some players unfair advantages over other ones, so Nintendo's blocking of cloud saves over it is asinine.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I say let people break the Animal Crossing experience if they want to. Personally, I think it's not the most fun way to play the game, but if other people time travel or clone items, I feel like it doesn't make the game worse for other players.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people do it but personally I don't have that need since this is going to be a slow-burn game for me anyway. I certainly don't care if someone else does it lol, just let people enjoy the game the way they want.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Personally, I think it defeats the purpose of games like this, but it really doesn't affect me in the slightest

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
It's my first AC, and I broke down. I plan on stopping once I get the ladder, unless one of you would have a better suggestion for a more natural spot to stop skipping. I'm happy I did it, though. I was pretty skeptical when all I could do was shake trees. Now I'm in love.

A couple caveats: I never play any game online, but it seems like skipping could make that weird. And I have no friends on my Switch, so same deal.

It seems like it's good to allow it while making it a minor pain in the ass. Just one more way the game let's you do whatever the hell you want. And I love that feeling.

Edit: This should be a poll, no?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't do it, and as far as friends and communities go I'd generally prefer not to play with those who do so that we're all on the same schedule- it just feels more special that way to me. But play how you like

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The players who do it need to respect the developers' artistic vision. They cheated not only the game but themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care in the sense that it doesn't affect me, but I also would never do it and think that it's the worst possible way to play AC. Like, what is even the point? The design is so that you have a sense of anticipation and pride from building over time, which you lose if you time travel.

Ultimately, I'm not connecting with anyone else, and people can play how they want, but I don't get it from a personal standpoint.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care if other people do it but it's one of those things where I feel you're just kinda ruining the experience for yourself

For me AC is about chilling out and taking things slow, sure you might miss some things but that's life and it's an incentive to keep coming back to your town every year. Collecting everything ASAP like it's Pokémon just seems kinda odd.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's my first AC and I only plan on playing with my SO. I'm probably going to be using some time traveling because we really only have time to play together on Sat/Sunday.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
It cheapens the experience for me. In New Leaf, I got very obsessed with getting all my favorite villagers by soft resetting, and then fast forwarding to the day when a villager I didn't want would move out. Then return back to the current real-world date.

I felt disconnected from my town. I want to experience things day by day this time around.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's cheating/defeats the purpose of the game. It's an attempt to turn the game into something it's not, or play it a way it's not intended to be played.

But go nuts, why should I care.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do what you want, it's your game.

Seems a little pointless to me though seeing as the passage of time and how you use that time is core to the gameplay. But whatever, you do you.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
About how much time are you guys playing per day? I'm curious about how much there is to do on a daily basis.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do it because it would ruin a lot of the fun. These games are most fun for me by waiting to see what's changed each day. The drip feed of content makes me look forward to logging in every day.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Not time traveling allows me to play a game for years that I'd get burned on in weeks. So, I just kinda take it day by day.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Can these threads that ask for opinions on gaming habits just come with an implicit understanding of, "I don't actually care how other people play"? Like, of course I don't care how you play, but that doesn't mean your choices should be free from criticism. I might think people are ruining the game by time traveling, while others might think I'm wasting my time being artificially constrained to Nintendo's restrictive game design philosophy.

I just think when these types of threads come up (ie. cheating in Dark Souls, save states in old games, etc.) half the posts just end up arguing that we should let people play how they want to play. Obviously people are free to enjoy things how they want, that should always be implied, but some of us just want to discuss the merits of different playstyles and have fun arguing the "right" way to play.

With that said, I do think time traveling ruins the fundamental purpose of the game, and I can't really fathom why someone would do it. It's not like the game is going away. It's designed to be played for years and years. To me it's like the people that listen to books and podcasts on 1.5x speed. I don't understand the impetus to consume more and more content. I have a finite amount of time in each day, and what I don't get to do in that time can be saved for the next day.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be doing it at all, really enjoying the game for what it is right now

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Growing up it was how I usually played Animal Crossing, but I was under the impression that the newer games had some sort of failsafe against it so I stopped. I generally have more fun playing the game like this but admittedly I don't think I've ever properly played the game the way it's meant to be played longterm (AC Gamecube and Wild World I time traveled, City Folk and New Leaf I played for a few weeks then fell off), so maybe I'll give that a chance with NH.

Want to make a lot of money? Go to those mystery islands, or just keep collecting stuff and build and sell.

I think this is also part of why I did it. In the older games doing this wasn't an option, the only way to really make money fast was to time travel, or at least that was the only way I could figure out as a kid (maybe the Gamecube/GBA Link Cable thing allowed you to collect bells more quickly), but in the newer games you don't have to do that.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Can these threads that ask for opinions on gaming habits just come with an implicit understanding of, "I don't actually care how other people play"? Like, of course I don't care how you play, but that doesn't mean your choices should be free from criticism. I might think people are ruining the game by time traveling, while others might think I'm wasting my time being artificially constrained to Nintendo's restrictive game design philosophy.

I just think when these types of threads come up (ie. cheating in Dark Souls, save states in old games, etc.) half the posts just end up arguing that we should let people play how they want to play. Obviously people are free to enjoy things how they want, that should always be implied, but some of us just want to discuss the merits of different playstyles and have fun arguing the "right" way to play.

With that said, I do think time traveling ruins the fundamental purpose of the game, and I can't really fathom why someone would do it. It's not like the game is going away. It's designed to be played for years and years. To me it's like the people that listen to books and podcasts on 1.5x speed. I don't understand the impetus to consume more and more content. I have a finite amount of time in each day, and what I don't get to do in that time can be saved for the next day.
I was about to comment on how "safe," for lack of a better word saying stuff like "everyone should play how they want" is as an answer. Like, yeah obviously. But I still think you're a punk for summoning in Souls games and I'm sure some people think I'm a punk for time traveling my way through EV and IV training in Pokemon SwSh. I've never played AC but it definitely seems like time traveling defeats purpose of the game. I guess if it's the only thing you have to play, you'll be more inclined to do that.