• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s your opinion the PS3?

• Loved it

Votes: 680 49.5%
  • It was okay

Votes: 527 38.4%
  • Hated it. Sony’s worst console

Votes: 167 12.2%

• Total voters

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Sorrowful. I enjoyed my time with it, but those games deserve better performance/resolution, and the PS3's weirdness means that won't be happening on a large scale for a long time, if ever.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
MGS: SPECIAL MISSIONS
MGS 2: Sons Of Liberty
MGS 3: Snake Eater
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS4: Guns of The Patriots
MGSV: Ground Zeroes
MGSV: The Phantom Pain

AND

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance.

This fact alone means the console will, in all likelihood, stay in my entertainment centre longer than my PS4 Pro will.
[As long as PS5 plays all my physical + digital PS4 + PSVR games].

EDIT- Accuracy, additional games and syntax.

Yeah I'm still annoyed we haven't gotten the MGS series ported to current gen.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
In the end it turned out fine but the beginning was really underwhelming. Xbox ate their for the first couple of years.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 was the home of many great exclusives like Uncharted 2&3, TLOU, GoW3, Killzone 2&3, MGS4, LBP, 1&2, Infamous 1&2, Demon's Souls, Journey, Resistance and many others.

It was a great machine and the best of that generation.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It was okay. Brilliant for its exclusives (like Uncharted, TLOU, R&C), but many multiplatforms titles ran significantly worse than on Xbox 360, like AC, FEAR, Condemned 2, The Darkness etc. RDR1 was a joke on PS3: lower res, worse shadows, no visible AA, lower texture res, yet lower average fps. In that sense I was quite disappointed after owning a 360, selling it and then having played many titles I've known from the 360 platform. Also I was heavily disappointed by Gran Turismo on the PS3 (poor assets on the track, IIRC some where even 2D, poor cockpit perspective in many cars, missing B-spec mode which was way too late added).

Many bad multi-platform ports (at least the games I've played) and excellent exclusives made me vote "it was okay".

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most impressive turnarounds in gaming. Went from being something I hoped would fail to a system with my favorite exclusive library of any system to that point.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Ratchet Trilogy on it at the moment and they still hold up extremely well. Even after playing the remake of the first game I can still go back and enjoy the original in HD and plan on playing the others on it. Just shows how good Sony's games are.

The console itself was great imo. UI is very slow though and I don't use it much anymore except playing a few games I missed like the Ratchet and Sly games (because I mostly played 360 at the time and didn't game much on ps3) Plenty of good games came out on it. Though the weakest out of the four Sony consoles overall but still very good.

I wish I had used it as my main platform last gen instead of the 360, as I don't own a MS console now and wouldn't want another Xbox ever. The 360 was only decent in the first 3-4 years of its life after that I thought it was pretty awful looking back, PS3 had better games overall imo and more in line with what I like.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't like it initially but when the slim came out and PS+ instant games hit I gradually found myself playing it more than my 360.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
The best console i've ever owned. It struggled out the gate but redeemed itself over the course of its generation.

PSHome was a concept i loved but it failed at execution. Also, The PS3 era gave us Kevin Butler.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
I hated it, like all home consoles of that generation. PS3 specially lost all of the JRPG series I loved from past gens and never recovered them, nor did it replace them with anything new worth playing aside from a few notable exceptions.

Jun 19, 2020
Didnt like the 3rd person shooter trend, the corridor levels and the low resolution. Other than that it was a nice console. Oh and those system updates took a loooong time.

Also lets play some GT:
The PS3: lets download a 5 gb patch again

Still has a better bluray player than the PS4.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst Sony console. Almost destroyed the PS brand and killed Sony. Wiped out all of their profits from PS1 and PS2. Price was outrageous for what you were getting.

Multiplats were worse than on Xbox and the first party efforts were not as good as PS2. Demon's Souls was the best thing on the system.

The price was not outrageous for what you were getting. They were losing like 200-300 dollars per unit. Pretty much any stand-alone Blu-ray player at the time was as or more expensive.

Was it too high despite technically being a great deal? By far yes. I would also imagine most people didn't care about the Blu Ray player yet anyway.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I loved it, though there were definitely some frustrations. Its media capabilities made it an all-in-one box for me so it had a lot of usefulness

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoyed it immensely. Probably more so than PS4 overall, which seems to be a rare opinion, but particularly in the AAA-space for the first half of this gen seemed like nothing but disappointing AAAs. Indie stuff helps make up for that but I don't know that it beats all the great downloadables/XBLA games of last gen.

I do think maybe the 360 was the better system overall, but I got a PS3 mid-generation and shortly after my 360 died for the third time (this time out of warranty). Rather then reward MS by buying another 360 (which a LOT of my friends did at some point in the gen), I simply traded all my 360 games and used the credit to re-buy any must have multi-platform games and switched to PS3 as my primary system.

It's also worth pointing out, that on top of the amazing late gen exclusives, PS+ came out in the later years of the PS3 and it was absolutely fire on that system; they gave out several great games monthly, something we forget because it's been largely disappointing on the PS4 (although we're finally getting good stuff semi-regularly now).

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Pros
Lots of great games
Built like a tank
menu system was fine for navigation unless you were looking for obscure settings.
DS3 had good battery life
Great as an early Blu-ray player
BC on early models

Cons
Interface was often slow
DS3 ergonomics were crap, as were the triggers
Some multiplatform games were just straight-up worse
PSN was a chore to use on the PS3, again so sloooooow

On the whole I enjoyed the PS3, but it was not without its faults

Nov 8, 2017
Dreadful early gen, but had a lot of good stuff by the end. Blu ray drive was nice to have. UI was pretty good.

The whole gen had rotten performance for most games though, and PS3 was usually worse for multiplat on that front.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
PS3 was the first console I got in on during the early years and rode all the way to the end. It's also the console I have the most physical games for, by a wide margin.

Overall, I loved it. The Ratchet series alone made it a must-own for me, but there's so many other great titles. I played the Arkham series on PS3, there's the inFamous games (shout-out to Festival of Blood), the Resistance games, Puppeteer, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, God of War and countless others.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I got it for MGS4 and God of War 3, ended up liking the Uncharted games a lot, but outside of those? Nothing I played really stuck with me and I felt like for the most part that I had wasted my money on a few merely decent games. PS4 has vastly surpassed it with things like Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Death Stranding, TLOU2. Shadow of the Colossus, all of which are not surprising whatsoever to see on peoples lists of favorite games ever made.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing looking back was the Netflix app, which at the time it came out was pretty incredible.

Games though, it was lacking compared to the PS2, but still good. Wasn't a fan of the gyro controller that came out at launch.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
good games, but many run like dogshit, but the latter is true of the both the HD twins

but in general its going to age to worst than the PS2

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
PlayStation 3 was... not good.

Vast majority of third party games all ran better on Xbox 360, and that's not even an exaggeration (in an environment where you'd want claims like that to be gross exaggerations).

The only people who can relate to what it was like to own a PS3 are the people who own a Xbox One right now. They know the pain of a long generation.

The fact that Nintendo killed the Wii U so relatively quickly actually makes me respect Nintendo now, because it was a mercy killing to their fanbase.

PS3 and Xbox One should've gotten the mercy killing treatment for their fanbases.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Had it's flaws, in terms of user experience (no voice chat, couldn't even go to the menu in the early days) due to the split RAM situation, but the software shine. But the software for me really shined. I really liked the new IPs I got in Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance and had a great time with Warhawk. Not to mention what is one of my favorite games of all time in Last of Us.

Third party ports weren't great. But still had a great time with it.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I would rate it as a good but not great console with several questionable design choices. The PS3 had a lot of great games that often times didn't run great and dear god that controller was just utter shit..

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't a big fan of it. First and foremost, I hatedddd the controller. Also I didn't get one until late in its cycle as I was content with the 360 at the time, and the PS3's high price at launch. PS4 was infinitely better than the PS3 imo.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got one pretty late, when the slim came out.

Towards the very end of that generation, I started leaning on it being my primary console a bit. Mainly because of 360 RRoD issues. But other than that, I just would turn it on for an exclusive from time to time. So it was ok. Generally I preferred the 360, and I certainly preferred the PS4 to it immensely.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rough start but turned around by the end of the generation to become a great platform.

I think PS4's success is riding some of PS3's strides, personally. I think the PS4 would've made a case on its own but I think it was heavily bolstered by PS3's turn around.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
A technically sub-optimal system buoyed by amazing support.

Like it's hard to imagine what would have been if the PS3 hadn't been overpriced due to bespoke hardware architecture and unnecessary bells and whistles, and it hadn't been terrible to develop for, and it hadn't been a consistently under-performing system in many cross-platform comparisons. If the hardware had been PS4 quality, it would've been the best console of all time.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed my time across multiplayer modes with people from NGaf.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Rough launch, but they really cleaned up their act and finished incredibly strong. Great console.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It was ok.

Worst library of all the Playstation consoles and that UI was so clunky and slow, but it still had some good games.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
There were lots of bullshit like slow ass store, slow downloads and installs, late trophy support, PSN hack, etc... But once devs figured out Cell architecture it delivered on games, and that's what counts at the end of the day.