• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s your opinion the PS3?

• Loved it

Votes: 680 49.5%
  • It was okay

Votes: 527 38.4%
  • Hated it. Sony’s worst console

Votes: 167 12.2%

• Total voters

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Started bad but ramp up to be the best from last gen in terms of exclusives.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
what i hated from that generation is mainly technical, like how it normalized terrible performance for games, like it was ok for frame rates to touch low 20s,

it was terrible at handling any sort of multitasking too, would struggle badly if you went back to home with a game running in bg.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Had mine from 2010 to something around 2015. Bought it with Uncharted 1, Ratchet & Clank a Crack in Time, and Vanquish. I didn't have a PC to play games on at the time, so for me it was a pretty good system. It allowed me to play some of my favorite games ever, like Dragon's Crown, Catherine, Bayonetta (yeah i know), and etc.

Then when Marvel vs Capcom 3 was announced, my father gifted me an arcade stick (the Mad Catz SF IV TE Round 2), and from there bought a lot of fighting games, to the point that, quality of the ports aside, i think its a pretty good machine if you like the genre. I had Skullgirls, MVC3/UMVC3, SCII Online, SF III Third Strike OE, MvC Origins, JoJo Bizzare Adventure HD, and lots more. Also played the hell out of games like NBA JAM OFE, Jet Set Radio (even tho i had a Dreamcast, i didn't have the game), a numerous PS3 titles i was unable to play back in the day, like DMC HD, Sly Cooper HD Collection, etc

For me personally, it was a great system to own. So much that i'm temped to buy it again, just because i was not able to play MGS4 (mostly because i didn't played MGS2 and MGS3 at that time yet).

And also it had some really fun experimental/not popular or niche genres on it. Calling All Cars!, Moon Diver, Fat Princess, Twisted Metal...

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it way over PS4.
PS3 games mostly lacks the polish of PS4 ones, but they are way more diverse

This is not true, unless for some reason you discount VR and tons of amazing indie games. I also don't think anything on PS3 touches games like Bloodborne, Astro Bot, The Last Guardian and The Last of Us Part 2 (yes, it's better than the first). It also performed considerably worse for third-party games.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great. Excellent Blu-ray player out of the box, some great fighters (Tekken 5:DR, Virtua Fighter 5) in 2007, and starting with MGS4 in 2008, great games every year. Online environment got off to a weak start, but was strong by the end, and free online was a big advantage over the 360. It was my favorite system of the generation.

Probably the worst PlayStation, but that just highlights how good every PlayStation has been.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I hated it. I paid $600 US dollars for it in February 2007 and then barely used it for anything other than Blu Rays. Why didn't I use it? Because every time I was actually excited for a game the system needed an update, which took hours and hours, and then the game needed an update, which took hours and hours. It was also the start of me realizing I didn't like Sony's exclusives - Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War - which carried on through to the PS4 as well (though, I love my PS4 for other things).

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my favorite games are third party. I hated the ui and lack of party support and the sixaxis felt incredibly cheap. It was ok, but it certainly doesn't help that the 360 is a top 3 all time console for me

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Least favorite system. It did try to cure cancer though, and my electricity bill is the proof that I contributed a lot lol.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted "loved it" even though it really didn't come into its own until the back end of the gen. It was on fire in those last 2-3 years. But 3rd party games ran like shit compared to the Xbox 360 versions.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably Sony's weakest home console, but it held it's own. Some very poorly throughout design choices certainly held it back on the multiplatform front, but the exclusives started a wave of top tier fidelity, bar raising, first party titles that carried through into and through the PS4.

When I was playing multiplatform games, I was bummed I didn't have a 360, but when I was playing Uncharted 2/3, I was like "Damn."

Nov 1, 2017
Are we talking about the games or the console itself? Games library was fine but the console itself was... not great. Until maybe the PS3 slim/superslim. Overpriced, more powerful and yet somehow worse performing than the cheaper and weaker Xbox. Horrible sixaxis pad with gimmicky, barely used waggle controls that was so shit they changed it midway through the gen. Slow load times until they decided that mandatory game installs would help alleviate it whereas with Xbox you could just pop the disc in and play. Interface was extremely limited in what you could actually do while running a game, almost every option would make you force quit the game whereas the Xbox OS was much better at multitasking. YLOD issues. European version of the PS3 had gimped PS2 BC because apparently Europeans can just go fuck themselves.

The fact that is sold as well as it did despite all of the crap you had to deal with sure does emphasise just how powerful brand loyalty is.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the PSN outage and was glad I had a 360. Like usual, they delivered on exclusives. PS4 is better in almost every way. Also, multiplats were never played on it.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty crappy console that made the life of developers a lot harder. Multiplats on PS3 were big no. Online service, game installs, downloads, updates were laughably slow compared to Xbox 360. Thinking now, MS console was ahead of its time back then (RRoD sucked tho lol).

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
- Started out very rough with few games and a high price point.

- Ended up receiving worse ports a lot of te time.

- Managed to come out on top in the end with the better lineup of exclusives.

I loved it, but then again I got mine in 2008 after the launch craziness.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It had a great library of games and a good Blu-ray player.

But the OS and everything related to network was slow as hell.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
It's a good way to experience highlights from three generations of Playstation (PS1 games were backwards compatible or downloadable, and a lot of the major PS2 games got HD collections), the games are dirt cheap and if you're not too bothered by performance then the games mostly hold up. It was my first Playstation system, I have a soft spot for it.

My biggest problem is the controller. Something about the sticks just never quite felt right, I can't put my finger on it why though. Also I'm pretty sure every controller I have has experienced drift in some way (I've gone through four or five of them). If not the sticks, the buttons will activate a different input or won't always respond properly. I don't know if this is just a me thing and I've been extremely unlucky, but every PS3 controller I've ever owned has had some kind of problem after a while.

Other than that, I'll probably always keep mine because it's the only system that let's you play the entire mainline Ratchet & Clank series pre-reboot. Ratchet 1-3, Deadlocked, the Future games. Now if Sony were to port these to the PS5.... well, I'll probably give my PS3 to my parents as an extra blue ray player. It's a versatile system!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it, but I wish its games were on more powerful hardware.
The HD gen of consoles having probably less than 20 1080p HD games was dumb as hell.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Great system, but overengineered. It arguably got worse with each revision. BC is something I still miss. Their hubris allowed them to think that they could just repeat the same formula they had with the PS2 and everything would just work out for them. Hardware is nothing without software and the software would eventually come, but it took years for that to bear fruit. By then they had lost a lot of mindshare to the competition.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the online experience felt so dated compared to the 360. Was never a fan of the dashboard and I'm still not.

Anco17

Jul 31, 2020
I loved it. Great library of games, exclusives jumped the Wii's and 360's offerings by 2011/2012, and the online being free was a big bonus.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awful console with a lot of great games. I'm a fan of mine (which I bought recently), but come on:
Cons:
1- truly awful performance on 3rd parties compared to x360
2- Horrible savegame management system stapled into every game
3- Incredibly slow game installations and disk reads from early (but forward looking!) blu-ray drive
4- all versions are enormous and ugly, og xbox style
5- bad controller battery performance, connectivity, etc
6- Very expensive for the games it ran (price was mostly the cool but functionally rarely good cpu and the bluray drive, right?)
7- No BC unless you bought the super expensive and then super rare giant hell version

Pros:
1- Some great exclusives, especially later on
2- free online i guess but if i wanted to play games online i'd use my pc

Bonus Pro, for me personally:
It was the last console that was really built around totally unique hardware and not just some kind of PC.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, warts n all, lol.

I had it before MGS 4 had the installation adjusted. Wow...

XMB and the music playing, the exclusives that were born in the console, custom themes, Other OS, lol.

They literally lost billions on the PS3. Basically nothing went as how they planned. The Cell was a disaster. The PS4 was a complete 180 on everything they did with the PS3.

This is one of those things that fanboys on message boards don't like to talk about but is true. Instead people just look at the sales and declare how successful the console was, BUT ignore the reality of how much money Sony were bleeding because of it.

If the PS4 had been like the PS3 in any shape or form. Sony would not be making a PS5 right now.
Not sure about the last part, but this true. They had singular successes here n there tho.

But there is a neat lil redemption story about Cell and current Sony. I need to find the post/article.

www.resetera.com

SIE Worldwide Studios |OT5| It's backwards compatible with |OT4|

I don't really know if it's worth its own thread, so I'll stick this here. Sony has released its 'Corporate Report 2019'. It seems to be the first of its kind, part of a new effort for transparency with shareholders I guess. Much of it is just echos of things said elsewhere, but there are some...

It's under 'Broader Impact of PS3'

In that upcoming PlayStation documentary, I'm sure ppl associated with Sony will be candid about the lessons learned, mistakes of the PS3.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. Was the only place to play the Yakuza games back in the day so for that reason alone I got 100s of hours of use out of it. And still do, seeing as Kenzan, 1&2HD and Dead Souls are still PS3 only games its something I'll be using until either the games all get ported (not remade) or PS3 emulation is perfected (its coming along nicely)

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Unfortunately it didn't reach it's full potential until nearly the end of it's lifespan(with exclusives, rebranding, and ads). That same full potential gave Sony the reputation they have today of having amazing exclusives.

Let's not forget how vastly different the PS3 seemed in the public eye at 2006/2007 and at 2010/2011.

From "Play Beyond" to "It only does everything" with Kevin Butler. It's damn near like PS3 had two lifespans in one generation.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it. Same as with the 360. Although at that point i thought the 360 had the upper-hand. Better console, better controller and better service.
The gen after was completely different.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Second worst console I've had the displeasure of using, with some of the best games ever locked away on it. Blergh.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It had a bad start but from mid 2008 onwards it was pure gold, easily my favourite console of that generation.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it, warts n all, lol.

I had it before MGS 4 had the installation adjusted. Wow...

XMB and the music playing, the exclusives that were born in the console, custom themes, Other OS, lol.

Not sure about the last part, but this true. They had singular successes here n there tho.

But there is a neat lil redemption story about Cell and current Sony. I need to find the post/article.

www.resetera.com

SIE Worldwide Studios |OT5| It's backwards compatible with |OT4|

I don't really know if it's worth its own thread, so I'll stick this here. Sony has released its 'Corporate Report 2019'. It seems to be the first of its kind, part of a new effort for transparency with shareholders I guess. Much of it is just echos of things said elsewhere, but there are some...

It's under 'Broader Impact of PS3'

In that upcoming PlayStation documentary, I'm sure ppl associated with Sony will be candid about the lessons learned, mistakes of the PS3.
Thanks for sharing that! i'll definitely look at that documentary!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It tried.

The first wave of HD consoles was equivalent to the first wave of 3D consoles. There was absolute gold in there, but things were still being figured out and more missteps were made than should be. I think PS3 lost out to 360 for a lot of reasons, though I personally always preferred Playstation.

It's certainly no PS2 or PS4.
This is me. Also, I hated the controller from day one. 360 controller shit all over it. DS4 is a massive improvement.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
It was ok. My launch system broke after about 100 hours of play time I sent it back to Sony for repair and got one back that looked like it had a belt sander run on it so I bought a new one. It had some exclusives that I like, but I used the 360 for all my 3rd party games. It's absolutely my least favorite play station.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but I bought it 2 years after it was launched. I missed a lot of the growing pains with the console.

Not to mention I split my gaming between PS3 and PC.

That's my personal feeling about it.

History wise though, in that generation Sony dropped the ball. And then another ball. And then another. And then another.

It's somewhat crazy to think that Sony managed to recover after every sort of fuck ups, including the PSN hack.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I'd agree with people saying that the PS3 had a weak start, but a pretty awesome library of games towards the second half of its lifecycle. Especially after Microsoft started focusing on Kinect, Sony kept throwing quality first party titles out there.

Mostly remember playing Demon's Souls, Flower/Journey, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, Ico/SotC, etc.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
A bad start, but it recovered massively while Microsoft floundered around with Kinect. In the end it still had a very diverse library of exclusives, far more than the PS4 has managed. It also still has my favourite console UI in the XMB. I wouldn't put it ahead of the PS2, PS1 or PSP but that's not a knock against it since the bar on those is high.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the worst PlayStation home console but I wouldn't say I outright hate it. I enjoyed my time with the system and towards the end of the generation played it more and more, but the early days were definitely rough. Given how many classic PS3 games got ported forward to PS4 though, I personally don't see much of a reason to go back though.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Loved the games, hated the fucking system. The PS3 is kinda a piece of shit and even Sony is aware of it. If they'd just port the Ratchet and Clank games to PS4 I could literally never set eyes on it again.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It was "OK", yet was the system that ended up preventing me from quitting console gaming. The only games I played on the 360 were Lost Odyssey, Arkham Asylum, Dead Space, Dragon's Dogma and mainly SFIV. The PS3 is what had Demon's Souls though, which was a pretty big deal to me in 2009 during the current climate of video gaming back then.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It was okay, but my opinion is more about that entire generation than the console itself. I really hated that 2007-2013 era.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Released way overpriced. Looked butt ugly. Had an unimpressive list of exclusives. It was a solid console overall, but it's sandwiched between the PS2 and PS4 so it's quite underwhelming.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I loved it because of the games. There are definitely flaws - the DualShock 3 was okay, the OS was a little clunky, the store was bad, party chat was just acceptable, etc. - but ultimately what matters most to me are the games. And PlayStation Plus was a big win back then.